Author Topic: Worst Dubs?  (Read 63521 times)

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
Re: Worst Dubs?
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »
Not too happy with the Soul Eater dub

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2010, 06:20:31 pm »
^ Admittedly, I haven't seen too much of Soul Eater, but what I've seen of the dub sounds pretty good to me. Except Black Star. If that's what you were mainly referring to, I completely agree.

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2010, 05:37:46 am »
Btw, one I'd forgotten (or blocked out of memory, not sure which) - "Rumbling Hearts", AKA Kimi Nozo (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, "The Eternity You Desire").

The sub was a heartwrenching story of how badly PTSD can screw up people's lives, and shows an emotional trainwreck of bad choices. It's like a Nodame Cantabile concerto; needs at least a couple of watches or one slow watch to get all the nuances. (One of these days, I'll get up and rant about it in Beau's Anime that Scarred Me for Life panel. Seriously, it was beautiful, but it messed me up for weeks.)

The dub was a conflict-driven romance in which people can't decide which partner to bang. It's more like a very angry alternative-rock song; easy to understand but with little nuance. Wikipedia has more on some of the changes that made it that way.

(Not trying to revive the sub-vs-dub argument, just adding an example of something I personally thought was an atrocious dub and explaining why.)

But you've gotta admit, it was a pretty fun circle, right?  ;D

Yes. Interesting, at the very least.  :)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »
Yes. Interesting, at the very least.  :)

And that's what matters...!  Now, I think I'll watch some Blue Seed, with the ENGLISH DUB!  MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2010, 05:55:00 pm »
^ Admittedly, I haven't seen too much of Soul Eater, but what I've seen of the dub sounds pretty good to me. Except Black Star. If that's what you were mainly referring to, I completely agree.
It's Shinigami's voice that bugs me the most.

Offline gw82

• Cabbit
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2011, 02:03:40 am »
YOU ARE GOING IN TO THIS

this opens the sub or dub debate

this is crazy  alot of you are bashing good shows

ok here is my take on this (AND I THINK YOU WILL ALL AGREE) most people watch dubs for the simple fact they don't like sub or don't understand the language of japan even though you can turn the captioning on. Sub is mostly the same reasons but just in this case sub excluding the fact that most of the fans here understand English

Heero Yuy
                The One and Only

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2011, 01:02:39 pm »
^ For me personally, part of my support for English dubbing is because many subtitle jobs, especially fansubs, are of poor quality.  The grammar is off, the spelling is terrible, and things make no sense.  Also, sometimes the subtitles don't stay around long enough, or they stay up too long, sometimes causing more to be up for a brief amount of time.  Some subbers have random symbols, too, such as # or &, within words.

Offline Best_Name_Ever

• Cabbit
    • Facebook Account 8D
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2011, 11:06:03 pm »
Hetalia was terrible,I love the series but Funimation did a bad job on deciding voice acting roles.Some of them were good like North Italy,Germany,Japan,etc. but China's voice was absolutely HORRIBLE I RATHER BE GAGGED WITH A FORK THAN LISTEN TO CHINA'S VOICE!and It upsets me also because China is one of my favorite character's xD also I believe Vic Mignonga being Greece was a bad choice as well,I think Greece is to laid back of a character for Vic.(saying that I've watched quite a few of the voice acting roles he's played)For him I expected he would be Russia or America even though America's voice is okay,I still think it would have fit him better if he did another character.

There was also a couple other of dubs I was not the happiest about but I would say Hetalia was one of the worst I have watched

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2011, 10:11:59 am »
From my experience there has only been one anime that I can't watch dubbed: Naruto, and that is simply for Naruto himself. Everyone else is fine, but all the "Believe it!" lines were what drove me to just read the manga instead.

However, I really enjoy the Bleach dub and the Soul Eater dub. Those two are the only ones I will actively prefer to watch in English over Japanese because I think they got the right VAs for the characters.

^ For me personally, part of my support for English dubbing is because many subtitle jobs, especially fansubs, are of poor quality.  The grammar is off, the spelling is terrible, and things make no sense.  Also, sometimes the subtitles don't stay around long enough, or they stay up too long, sometimes causing more to be up for a brief amount of time.  Some subbers have random symbols, too, such as # or &, within words.

Oh I could go on and on about this. The sub for Bleach originally was just bad, they felt they had to translate EVERYTHING into what it literally meant. Instead of Soul Reapers, we got Death Gods. Zanpakuto became Soul Slayers and Kido became Demon Magic. Instead of Getsuga Tenshou, we got something along the lines of Moon Fang Heaven Pierce. Thankfully they fixed this, but it took them a while.

It also gets so much worse if it is translated from another country. My girlfriend got a bunch of anime for cheap thinking it was an amazing deal. Little did she know that they were subbed in China, so a TOOOOOON of the subs were just terrible. It made it funny to watch Spirited Away though, as the subs were so bad it was hysterical. Or you get the 3rd Bleach movie, where Urahara released Benehime by saying, and I quote, "Moo now!"

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2011, 03:03:43 pm »
Hetalia was terrible,I love the series but Funimation did a bad job on deciding voice acting roles.Some of them were good like North Italy,Germany,Japan,etc. but China's voice was absolutely HORRIBLE I RATHER BE GAGGED WITH A FORK THAN LISTEN TO CHINA'S VOICE!and It upsets me also because China is one of my favorite character's xD also I believe Vic Mignonga being Greece was a bad choice as well,I think Greece is to laid back of a character for Vic.(saying that I've watched quite a few of the voice acting roles he's played)For him I expected he would be Russia or America even though America's voice is okay,I still think it would have fit him better if he did another character.

There was also a couple other of dubs I was not the happiest about but I would say Hetalia was one of the worst I have watched

Hetalia's was great because they actually (to an extent) sounded like they were from the applicable countries.  I can totally agree with some of the voices sounding odd (such as China), but Switzerland's Japanese voice was God-aweful!

Oh I could go on and on about this. The sub for Bleach originally was just bad, they felt they had to translate EVERYTHING into what it literally meant. Instead of Soul Reapers, we got Death Gods. Zanpakuto became Soul Slayers and Kido became Demon Magic. Instead of Getsuga Tenshou, we got something along the lines of Moon Fang Heaven Pierce. Thankfully they fixed this, but it took them a while.

I've only seen some of Bleach, but from what I've seen (which has mostly been seasons 1 & 2) they said Soul Reapers and Zanpakuto.  I also don't think it's that big of a deal, though it can be annoying depending on what it translates out to.  However, that type of thing has been going on for decades.  I doubt that it'll change, though it might become less frequent.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2011, 09:33:59 pm »

Not to mention the fact that they screwed around with the lines almost constantly and they made it WAY more racist then it needed to be. Hetalia's humor is based from harmless stereotypes that you would see in just about any kids movie/tv show. They really effed it up with the nazi jokes, let me tell you. We, as the fans, are trying to stop the idiots of the fandom to stfu with racism and nazi jokes. And it's starting to work (slowley, yes, but at least some people are getting the idea that it's wrong...), but when a bog company like Funimation does the same thing, there isn't much we can do about it besides get pissed off and bitch about it.

Now, some of you may be thinking, "oh, if you don't like it. Then don't watch it."
That's exactly what i do. But the problem is is that a lot of people don't like reading with subtitles so they tend to wait until the dub comes out so it's easier for them. So when mockery of a "dub" for an anime comes out, they're missing out on a ton of the original jokes and humor that was in the original Japanese version. And with Hetalia, a lot of people who only watched the dub start complaining to fans that they're horrible and racist for watching such an awful show, when really, it's completely different in the Japanese version.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »
I still appreciated the Jew references, because I see them as reminders that Germany did some horrible things during that time period.  I also don't think the humor is that different in the subbed version; there's just no Jew references.  (This is why they need to have an Israel character in the series, to show that Germany once did atrocious things to the Jewish people, but then showing how Germany was incredibly sorry, and showing that Israel has forgiven him, like in real life).

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2011, 05:34:01 pm »
I still appreciated the Jew references, because I see them as reminders that Germany did some horrible things during that time period.  I also don't think the humor is that different in the subbed version; there's just no Jew references.  (This is why they need to have an Israel character in the series, to show that Germany once did atrocious things to the Jewish people, but then showing how Germany was incredibly sorry, and showing that Israel has forgiven him, like in real life).

Ask any. Literally ANY long-time, die-hard Hetalia fan out there and they'll tell you that the sub and the dub are almost completely different. I highly suggest watching every single episode of Hetalia about five times over, reading all of the manga and webcomic, and looking up every single page on the Hetalia wikia before you start telling me that they arn't different.
Also, what you said right there was very offensive. If you're actually asking for there to be more racism and hate in Hetalia by adding things that would cause even more problems for both the anime and the fans, then you have some problems yourself.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »
Each side in this argument has reported the other (one for a personal message, the other for a post).

Moderators are not going to take sides on whether Hetalia is offensive, whether the dub or sub is different, whether either is different than the original, etc. (At least, speaking as moderators. They may take sides as individuals.) Please refrain from personal attacks in your messages and keep posts productive and on-topic. Thank you.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2011, 06:12:33 pm »
Each side in this argument has reported the other (one for a personal message, the other for a post).

Moderators are not going to take sides on whether Hetalia is offensive, whether the dub or sub is different, whether either is different than the original, etc. (At least, speaking as moderators. They may take sides as individuals.) Please refrain from personal attacks in your messages and keep posts productive and on-topic. Thank you.

Thank you.

Offline Niques93

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2011, 10:24:01 pm »
thats happened to me before... i always feel bad forsaking a manga cuz the anime looks better... XP

I know how you feel DX I am kinda going through that right now with sould eater... I can't stand to pick up any of the first couple manga... that animation is so much more fun in my opinion.

Also I am not sure if I like hetalia, I have tried reading and watching it, can't decide, regardless I think the english dub on that was crappy...