Author Topic: TAS Tool Assisted Speedrun  (Read 2516 times)

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
TAS Tool Assisted Speedrun
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:45:56 pm »
My definition: Using a program to emulate a game that will slow it down to frame by frame play but play it back at normal speed. Allowing the game to be played with seemingly super human skill. The goal of which is to find the theoretical minimum completion time of the game without manually editing the game files (hacking). Glitch exploitation is normal as these, although unintended, do exist in the game files naturally. Also they are fairly entertaining.

I'd like to hear people's opinions and stories of TAS's, I do not want this to be a flame war or Assisted vs. Unassisted (natural) runs.

My recent favorite: 21min and some change by inichi on the game Chrono Trigger. Glitch exploitation is an understatement on this one (if you do watch the video remember, if you were some super human you could actually do everything that happens in the video by just knowing how to pull it off).
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
Re: TAS Tool Assisted Speedrun
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:55:48 pm »
The save corruption trick used in that video was very interesting. TAS's are neat because they show a paramount understanding of a game's mechanics, not only that but programming knowledge as well. TAS's garner a ton of unnecessary hate on youtube just because someone isn't playing the game in a traditional sense...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:02:26 pm by ha~ma »

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
Re: TAS Tool Assisted Speedrun
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:45:45 pm »
Yea, youtube comments are less than intelligible. The same guy has another video of a record new game+ TAS. He does it in the Japanese version though because the glitch he uses doesn't work in the US version.
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff