Author Topic: something like an "Open Studio: Draw from Cosplay Models"  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
something like an "Open Studio: Draw from Cosplay Models"
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:41:16 am »
I do most of my work from live models, or bust out a floor length mirror when I draw illustrations/panels not so much to keep porportions, but to make sure that I don't make my characters look too wonky.  I like maintaining their humanity.

I thought it'd be cool to have a Panel Room in which we could set up a space and get a few cosplayers and people to model for con goers interested in drawing from them.... Maybe if there was a lesson/speaker/house artist in charge of it or something.

Not sure on any details, but its an idea that I've been kicking around in my noggin.

Anybody be interested in attending something like that?  Or what might you suggest along those lines?
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: something like an "Open Studio: Draw from Cosplay Models"
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:40:41 pm »
Hey, this sounds like a fun idea. I actually am a figure model for the Art Institute of Portland so if you need someone for this, hit me up!
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:33:09 pm »
Yeah I was thinking it'd be fun, and informative...  I'd like to try and get more interest in it.

I'll keep your offer in mind!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:45:07 pm by Meganekko »

Offline Valkie

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:42:35 pm »
This sounds like a great idea! I don't get many chances to work from life models, so I'd love to attend and would consider being a model myself.

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:05:57 pm »
That sounds like a great idea, I would love a chance to draw from live models, especially live models dresses as crazy **** lol XD

It would also be cool if we could do nude drawing, maybe in the wee hours or whatever, but that probably wouldn't fly with the hotel so much...

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:10:47 pm »
^ You could probably get away with a swimsuit drawing~

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:44:42 pm »
Yeah, I don't know about the nude bit, but maybe we could get ... less.... clothes on some models.

Mainly I figured that there is a few models who have done this before to do the more complex/longer poses and then grab volunteers from the crowd for gestures and short studies.

Maybe it could be slotted as a rather long running panel over in creation, and then subdivided into specific studies... like gesture, hands, feet, and realism to anime... those kinda things.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:09:13 pm »
That sounds like an amazing idea.  This might even be a neat workshop idea for our smaller events, like our space down at Eugene Asian Fest. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:59:47 pm »
^_^ Awesome, support is growing!

I'd love to really try and get this going.  The past 3 years I really haven't spent much time in the creation areas due to being less interested in cosplay and plushies (no offense, I just wasn't made to be a seamstress).  I think this could turn into a pretty popular workshop and/or panel event!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 01:46:55 am »
If you would like to do this, I suggest making a panel specifically to draw for an hour or so.  As for a nude drawing section at Kcon or similar events, I would think you could get it allowed by making sure it was an 18+ event.

I haven't drawn sense highschool, but maybe someone would even go as far as to start/teach a group on learning how to live draw.  I would like to go to that.

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 01:08:49 pm »
I'm still just kicking ideas around, but...

Total length :2 hours, divided into 3 parts

Part 1: An intro to drawing from the model, Gesture (30 minutes)
Part 2: Longer Poses; From Gesture to Drawing (1 hour)
Part 3: Hands and Feet (30 minutes)

And maybe we could do the same thing but 18+ later on. That way for people who want to work with nudes specific they can have an opportunity,  people who want to work clothed/the 18- crowd also have their chance, and for those who want to do both they can.

Dunno, we're still kicking this idea around to find a good formula. 

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 10:37:57 pm »
Good to hear, Keep us posted.  Oh did anyone say drawing club yet?

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 05:14:55 pm »
I would probably go to this.  I don't care so much about nude drawing; classes are offered at many community colleges for this, but to be able to draw someone in flowing robes and other crazy stuff?  That would be awesome. 

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 05:52:03 pm »
I have a kimono that was used by a model in one of our drawing classes once.  Not a horribly formal one, but still :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 08:53:32 pm »
Me wants to draw someone dressed up as Raiden from mortal combat ^.^

Not quite an anime charecter but close enough to what we are talking, and more realistic (if you can call anything realistic?)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:55:50 pm by camname21 »

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 01:35:59 am »
Yeah I think the clothes would be a bit more interesting, but I'm not opposed to the nude vesrion, and I'd be possibly be willing to let somebody borrow my green furisode and my other kimono for modeling purposes.

Offline Thessaliad

• Oni
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 05:39:21 am »
Funny, I was talking to someone about this at the con, but I don't remember who.

I would be willing to chip in for a model, or we could take turns modelling.

While nude would be preferable, I think that any "adult" activities have to occur after midnight, so that wouldn't really work for us.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 06:24:20 am »
Not much need to pay for models, if the drawers don't want to take turns being drawn you can probably find some other art/fashion student to model themselves (and anything they happen to have made for show) and possibly give them a drawing for promotional purposes.  A few pictures could be taken as well before/after the drawing, again some photo student would love to take their pics fo nothing.  As for nudes... no idea, but underwear modeling is close enough for me, and hell I would pose, the question is would anyone want me to HAHA.  (cries in corner..)

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 12:12:41 pm »

I would be willing to chip in for a model, or we could take turns modelling.

Basically I was thinking to have volunteers for this, aiming for those with prior experience and willingness for longer poses and everybody else take turns on short studies or gesture drawings.

While nude would be preferable, I think that any "adult" activities have to occur after midnight, so that wouldn't really work for us.

Yeah that's kinda my issue with doing the nude version as well as finding volunteers for that/one really wonderful and willing model.

A few pictures could be taken as well before/after the drawing, again some photo student would love to take their pics fo nothing.  As for nudes... no idea, but underwear modeling is close enough for me, and hell I would pose, the question is would anyone want me to HAHA.  (cries in corner..)

Don't cry!  I'd love for you to volunteer in whatever level of dress/cosplay you feel comfy in...
I have no idea about the photographs, but that could be looked into as well as a way of getting images of the drawings back to the models.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 12:17:15 pm »
I'd love to model both before and afterh ours, depending on the time. As for nude... I'd do it, so logn as the pics don't make their way to the internet. Maybe. xD But one of my cosplays is just a bathing suit with sleeves and two of the three others are skin-tight, so yeah. ^^
KumoriCon 2012

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 03:29:12 pm »
Can anyone find state/local policies for being nude in public places for educational purposes?  I know they have had nude drawing at CCC while I was there, so what about other places.  I'd look myself but I know I would NEVER find said answers no matter how long I searched.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 07:06:46 pm »
Hipbone is a private bussiness that provides drop-in times with nude models, so I know it's possible.

The key to anything with nude modeling is that we'd need someone experienced running the sessions.  In my experience, every class where there was a nude model we all got a short lecture at the start of the term on working with and respecting nude models. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »
I, talk to business/space about said activity, talk with model about expectations, talk to kids about edicate, draw, thank people,  yayz at artwork.