Author Topic: Don't hug me glomp me pin/bracelet  (Read 4989 times)

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
Don't hug me glomp me pin/bracelet
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:07:37 pm »
In previous years at Kumoricon I have discovered that some people do not appreciate hugs/glomps so I was thinking we should have a pin/bracelet of some sort to indicate we do not wish to engage in hugs or be glomped.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:14:09 pm by bou12345318 »
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)
Shuichi Shindou (Gravitation EX)

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
Re: Don't hug me glomp me pin
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:14:24 pm »
I like your idea, but people shouldn't hug or glomp without asking anyways. It's sad how rude a lot of congoers these days are; I've heard stories about peoples' costumes or props getting broken by being hugged or glomped without permission.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: Don't hug me glomp me pin/bracelet
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:23:14 pm »
Nope, people should assume that others don't want to be glomped. 

We should not be expected to mark ourselves or face being assumed to be okay with it. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:28:27 pm »
I'm pretty sure it's also in the con book (or, it was last year I think O-o) not to glomp people without permission anyway. It'd be a hassle to give out bracelets/pins to the majority that supports that, and it'd also be hard for a glomper to spot that out before they attack.

I think last year, someone did sell "don't glomp" pins or something, but it's a lot easier to spot out the hug/glomp-me sign holders than the latter :P That, and as long as people follow the rules, it shouldn't be too much of a problem...

... Of course, a lot of people ignore the rules |:

If anyone glomps you without permission, teach them a lesson by yelling their ass off about how they could've broken your costume/prop/camera/etc. *u* It'll probably convert them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:32:13 pm by Hazuza »

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:35:46 pm »
Well, such pins would be a cute artist alley item.  I've see stuff like that before. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:47:46 pm »
If anyone glomps you without permission, teach them a lesson by yelling their ass off about how they could've broken your costume/prop/camera/etc. *u* It'll probably convert them.

I support this solution wholeheartedly.

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 07:49:04 pm »

So do I, but it would probably attract alot of attention...
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 08:15:10 pm »

So more people will know glomping is bad! : D

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:16:05 pm »

So more people will know glomping is bad! : D
Yes.....good point
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:27:02 pm »
If somebody does glomp you without permission, and does not listen when you tell them not to, please report it to a staff member.  We understand that people get excited at the con, but they need to obey the rules so everyone has a good time :)
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:30:50 pm »
I like your idea, but people shouldn't hug or glomp without asking anyways. It's sad how rude a lot of congoers these days are; I've heard stories about peoples' costumes or props getting broken by being hugged or glomped without permission.

This actually happened to me last year.. I was actually getting ready to take a picture of somebody cosplaying, and as I was obviously holding the camera and getting ready to take the picture, some kid runs up and glomps me, knocking me off balance and making me drop my digital camera.

Fortunately, my camera didn't break, but it was in the park across from the hotel, so I was worried the dirt would scratch the lens.
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:43:18 am »

Yes, I am in LARGE fear of this, this year :(

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:36 am »
I....agree. If something like the zipper on my Organization cloak broke, it would be VERY hard to replace. 8D But if you ask first, GO FOR IT. 8DDD

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 03:33:48 pm »
I have to agree with the others... Pins are more trouble than they're worth, and why should we make arrangements for something that should just be common sense anyway? If you want to hug/glomp someone that badly, than ask first... it's not only the right thing to do, but as I said already it's just common sense.
You don't go down the sidewalk randomly grabbing people without asking (without getting arrested) on a daily basis, so why do it at a convention? Just ask and everyone is happy. :)

I myself would probably be pretty angry if someone randomly hugged/glomped me without asking, not to much just annoyed. But if I'm asked first I'm usually okay with it-- and than I have time to protect my more fragile props before the glomp commences.

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Ari~Sha

• Oni
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 03:13:48 pm »
There was actually little glomping done at the con, that I know of. Whenever someone wanted a hug from us, they asked.

Someone did get slapped in the face though. It was an all out slap, and then the slapper ran away!!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 01:44:11 pm »
Nobody hugged me without asking first, but I was pretty weighted down, so it was pretty obvious that knocking me over would be a bad idea. :) People with softer costumes and fragile props are more at risk.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 03:18:57 pm »
Mostly people asked me before hugging/glomping me. I believe there was once though that someone did it without asking and it scared me to death. xx; I didn't do anything but slowly walk away, since my costume wasn't really damagable.
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 03:50:30 pm »
I like this idea. Although no one glomped me XD
but like I looked angry most of the time XD So people said but I was in character kinda XD

Offline allstarsniper32

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 04:21:02 pm »
There was actually little glomping done at the con, that I know of. Whenever someone wanted a hug from us, they asked.

Someone did get slapped in the face though. It was an all out slap, and then the slapper ran away!!

Someone just walked up and slapped someone then ran away? Hopefully this doesn't turn into the new glomp.

I'm seriously baffled as to why they got slapped though.

Offline Miss Amanda

• Oni
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 05:52:06 pm »
I'm pretty strangerphobic when it comes to touching and when I was randomly hugged I almost went into a panic attack, so coming from that point of view I can totally understand the badge type thing, but instead of a badge, like everyone else has said it's more common sense to ask, and maybe in the program book or at registration there should be a sign or in big bold print "Ask before hugging or glomping fellow con-goers". Just put extra emphasis on that rule.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 12:12:10 pm »
This is a wonderful idea for those who pretty much don't want to be hugged at all - it avoids a lot of discomfort for both the askee and the asker. No one wants to be looked at like they're a snob for refusing, and no one wants to be looked at like they're a disease for asking.

(Not asking doesn't pertain; it's unquestionably WRONG and people should know better without being told.)

ps: Maybe make it a large clip to be attached below the badge? Pretty much everyone cosplays these days, so that's one less item to take off before photos. Plus, visibility is a good thing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 12:38:24 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 12:39:01 pm »
That sucks that someone would hug/glomp without asking first.  I personally didn't have any issues (luckily), unless it was a friend trying to creep me out. x.x  If the person didn't ask, they would at least make it quite apparent that they wanted to hug while waiting for me to accept it.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery