Author Topic: Advanced costuming panel - what would YOU like to see?  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
Advanced costuming panel - what would YOU like to see?
« on: August 07, 2009, 08:04:11 pm »
Hi all,

I'm going to be giving an advanced cosplay panel about making accessories - pretty much a free-for-all about anything on your costume that doesn't necessarily involve sewing. (Although sewing questions aren't forbidden or anything, either, there's just already another panel for that. ;D) I can bring a certain amount of actual costume pieces and/or materials to the con to actually show people how they work at the panel, so I thought I would ask if there's anything in particular that people want to see! :) I can't bring anything big or bulky, so no big armor pieces or anything, but I'm going to try at least for some electroluminescent wire, back plates for attaching wings to a costume without shoulder straps, Wonderflex, etc.

So what would people like to see? Let me know and I'll do my best to bring it! (Depending on what I have on hand of course...  ;))

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: Advanced costuming panel - what would YOU like to see?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 02:02:12 am »
This sounds like a great panel I might have to attend.
I know that I would like to get some first hand information on casting (plastics, resin, or whatever) for costumes. Though I'm not sure how advanced that is and if it would fall under your panel.

Either way, if it doesn't land on any gathering or photoshoots I'm going too, I will look forward to attending.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:17:10 am »
I know that I would like to get some first hand information on casting (plastics, resin, or whatever) for costumes. Though I'm not sure how advanced that is and if it would fall under your panel.

Resin-casting is pretty advanced stuff that requires a lot of practice, time, and materials - I actually don't do it myself at the moment, so I don't have anything on hand to show in person, but I can spend some panel time talking about the process since I do basically know how it works. You could seriously spend an entire panel talking about this topic alone, though! So it'll have to be a brief overview... ^^; (Hmm, maybe I should bring one of my non-resin giant anime gems though to show an alternative method...)

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:57:30 pm »
I would love to see how exactly wings could be attached to any costume. It's hard to figure out on your own, and it would help a lot of people ^^

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:47:07 am »
I would love to see how exactly wings could be attached to any costume. It's hard to figure out on your own, and it would help a lot of people ^^

I can certainly spend some time on that. There are a few ways to do it depending on what size/kind of wings you want, etc. :)

Offline SiderAnne

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:03:47 pm »
I know this is probably really late, but I'd like to know about making your own buckles and fasteners (like the really detailed things that you might need for something Final Fantasy).
~~~* I don't always sing Ayumi Hamsaki in the shower *~~~

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 11:25:27 am »
Lordy I haven't posted on this board in forever. I just wanted to say that out of all the years of convention panels I've gone to, this was bar none the most helpful and informative panel I've ever experienced. Both myself and the wife picked up a ton of tips and tricks, and being right in the front left of the room made it easy to see everything.

Now I just wished I remembered to jot down all the contact info of the panelists :X

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:34 pm »
Hoshikage was one of the presenters, and I was the other one. Contact info in our profiles ... or you can PM either of us.  :D

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 03:15:04 pm »
Lordy I haven't posted on this board in forever. I just wanted to say that out of all the years of convention panels I've gone to, this was bar none the most helpful and informative panel I've ever experienced. Both myself and the wife picked up a ton of tips and tricks, and being right in the front left of the room made it easy to see everything.

Now I just wished I remembered to jot down all the contact info of the panelists :X

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I always try to make this panel as informative as possible, given time constraints and all of course. ^^; Unfortunately, it's looking at the moment like I won't be able to come back and give it again next year, but I'm hoping to maybe manage another version at Sakura-Con (since it's different every time depending on what people want to ask about), and my email is in my profile for any further questions. :)

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 05:29:18 pm »
I want to thank you for talking about proper sewing machine care- I knew about oiling it, but taking it in for servicing (much needed, by now) never occured to me. 

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 09:06:17 am »
oh excellent, I'll have to remember that if I ever get stuck on some oddball problem.

And Runa, being a TransFan myself, seeing a freaking HOT ROD Lolita broke my brain yet amused me immensely