Author Topic: Help needed!  (Read 3058 times)

Offline kyuubi_naru

• Oni
Help needed!
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:10:41 pm »
The character that I am cosplaying as (Miyuki from Tokyo Godfathers) has a heavier, warmer costume more suitable to winter than summer. Does anyone have any advice as to how I could lighten the clothes without taking away from the look?
Lisz : You're Neji? That means you raped Naruto.
Laura : Awesome.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 07:56:40 pm »
I'm sorry I don't know who that is do you have picture references to look at of the costume you will be cosplaying?

Offline kyuubi_naru

• Oni
Help needed!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:42:26 pm »
Here's a reference image:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Help needed!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 12:05:10 am »
Hmmm... All I can really think of would be to look for material that looks really heavy and would be for your cosplay but is really light and "breathable" lol.

That can be hard to find but Ive done it more than once. So it is possible. But be ready to shop everywhere from town to town.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Help needed!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 06:07:37 pm »
Remember to look for really light clothing.  I mean really really light clothing.
You're going to be surrounded by lots of other con goers so you might also have to deal with all the body heat from them as well.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Help needed!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 06:24:34 pm »
I would sujest making the outfit as real as posable and then under it wearing a pilots heated under suit but turn it to cool not heat
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
Help needed!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 10:09:03 pm »
Well the undershit can be super thin of course because it looks like it already is, I was thinking for the pants portion underneath the leg warmer part to either use jersey or like a legging/breathable nylon.  I think using alot of jersey in general will be a good idea, cotton always rocks

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Help needed!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 11:13:54 pm »
I don't have too many great ideas for how to make that costume cooler, but I just need to say I'm so frakkin' stoked to see this costume! I love this film, and Miyuki is a really funny, interesting character. I hope you can pull it off, cause I'd love to see it.

One idea I had though, the shirt (looks like a polo) could be made thinner, as it is mostly covered up. Just go looking around for thin variations. I know they exist, I have some in my closet. Just can't remember exactly what "Style" I'm trying to describe. Hope you know what I mean though. Somewhere between thin button up and polo I guess. And the pants instead of jean or denim could be simple leggings or tights or something. Anyway, yeah, I hope you figure this out. Best of fortune to you!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Help needed!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:32:13 am »
Oy... I think I'd die wearing what she's wearing if the temperature were above 20F...

It looks like everything is supposed to be made of wool, which can be painfully hot in Late August/Early September (not to mention indoors).

Lessee...If you can afford it, use silk yarn for the leg warmers, otherwise cotton yarn. Knit very loosely to allow more air to get in. For the scarf, maybe one of those eyelash type yarns since they seem to knit up lighter (use size 15 or larger needles to ensure that it's very airy). Cotton for the hats.

The issue with the coat is that you nead to simulate a heavy, thick material without actually having its warmth. Difficult, especially since it's probably a felted wool, which is much warmer. If you make it from a cotton material and put some weights (perhaps sew a small chain in the hem?) in it, you may actually manage to get it to seem heavier than it is. Also, put batting only in the cuffs and other egdes so that it looks thick without actually being thick.

For the other parts, cotton should be fine - and try to make it only one layer in most areas if you can. So for the area under the knees where the legwarmers meet the pants, sew the legwarmers to cropped pants so you can cut off the pant leg parts that would normally be within the legwarmers.

Offline kyuubi_naru

• Oni
Help needed!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 11:52:26 pm »
Thank you all so much! I wouldn't have thought of most of these ideas on my own. I've never done a (successful) cosplay before, so I really hope this works out.