Author Topic: Learning How to Sew  (Read 16486 times)

oslapedo

Learning How to Sew
« on: September 13, 2009, 09:46:20 am »
A majority of the people here make their own costumes and I'm wondering, how did you all learn how to sew? What are your preferred methods, etc

If anyone has any tips for begginners just getting started that'd bee coo too.

b

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Re: Learning How to Sew
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:58:10 am »
xD SELF TAUGHT!

I just kinda was given a sewing machine, looked up the manual and then went with it : / Peach was my first real sewing project.

I recommend getting a machine and some scrap fabric and just playing around, learn the ins and outs of your machine and see if theres any class's near bye. the hard thing about sewing is paterns really. When you learn how to read those your pretty much set.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:07:53 am »
Okay~

Sewing machines preferred by cosplayers?

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:16:02 am »
depends : o

ive worked on a variety <3 my fav? 1930's singer. Runs better than anything else Ive used but I doubt youll find one of those.

Singers are usually a good place to start, their good quality and wont brake your bank so much as other brands. You might want to check kregs list for a used one to start off.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 10:23:06 am »
My mum taught me. It's not really all that hard as long as you have someone to sit by you for your first costumes to help you learn the basics. You're not going to be able to make "SUPER AMAZING HIGH DETAILED COSTUMES" at first, but the more you do the more you learn! If you have the chance, it's nice to learn how to cut and draft before you start sewing (I cut out the fabric and drafted what needed to be for all my costumes before my White Mage and it has helped a lot.)

But yeah, just make sure to take it slow. Rushing on things never comes out nicely. And take it from me, the basics of sewing are pretty simple. I've only been sewing my own costumes for about a year now and I think that my costumes are marginally decent.

Ha ha, good luck though! If you need any help with terms or whatever just post them on the forums and I'm sure someone here can help.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 10:32:40 am »
You can often find sewing classes offered through fabric stores or sewing machine stores - try seeing what your local fabric store might have to offer. Also a lot of information can be found online for weird little fiddly stuff, like what kind of needle to use on what kind of fabric and suchlike (sometimes your sewing machine manual will have some of this too). I'm actually almost completely self-taught but I don't recommend this method - it takes a lot longer to do something the wrong way a few times before you learn a way that works!

Sewing machines - some of these I've used, some of this is just what I learned through research. Even if you decide on a brand, try out a bunch of different machines in the store - don't buy something if you "test drive" it and it makes you feel uncomfortable in some way to use it (like it shakes too much, or just feels weird somehow). A sewing machine will last you a really long time if you're happy with it and you take care of it. :) Also think about what you want to do with it. You probably won't need a lot of fancy decorative stitches, but you probably will want something that will be sturdy and can sew through a lot of different types of fabric without throwing fits.

Singer: Old machines are excellent, I've heard new ones suck. Singer got bought or something and the quality went way downhill.
Kenmore: Sometimes these are great and sometimes they're terrible - I hear it's because the manufacturing rotates so it's different every year. Can't say for sure, but the one Kenmore I've had experience with was fine. (White supposedly has the same issues but I have never tried a White machine.)
Babylock: Solid, reliable brand. I have one of their sergers and I LOVE IT.
Elna: I love my Elna (my first machine and I still use it often) but they got bought so I don't know if you can find them anymore. :/
Pfaff: Never used one of these but I hear very good things about them.
Viking: Viking = awesome. They can be expensive though.
Janome, Brother and Bernina: I know nothing about any of these, sadly.

Sewing is a great skill to have. When you can make exactly what you want instead of trying to scrounge for something that looks mostly right, it's very satisfying. And sewing is useful for more than just costumes, of course - you can repair clothing if it gets holes in it or something too once you know how...  ;)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:39:56 am »
hoshikage:

if your talking about Pfaff the super expensive German sewing machine company, I have one of those and I love it to pieces. Mines a older model but dang those things are nice. Haven t had a chance to try out the digital embroidery feature but I want to soon.

HOWEVER

for a first sewing machine I DO NOT recommend these. Their fairly advanced machines and do a LOT more than your basic press the pedal and go. These machines, or at least the one I have, are meant for quilting, and embroidery. Two very advanced sewing skills and so the machines are advanced to fit them. Equipped with 200 different types of stitches, a digital program where you draw with a program what patern you want stitched into your fabric and it will stitch it. These machines make great for people who know what their doing. other wise? I wouldn't go spending over 1k on a machine where you wont need half the features (the only reason I have one is that it was a gift from my aunt who is a quilter)

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 11:07:25 am »
I took some quilty/sewing class back in like elementary school, which taught me how to use a sewing machine in the most basic sense, but other than that I'm mostly self-taught.  I'm also kind of stubborn, so I generally do things the wrong way first and have to go through a lot of trial-and-error.

If you know don't know how to use a sewing machine, or have very little experience with one, I recommend just buying a fairly cheap one for now.  You'll really only need basic stitches, and that way you can experiment and mess around without too much fear of somehow destroying it.

I say start by finding a pattern that's basically the right shape, and spend a lot of time staring at it and figuring out how to cut it out, read it, etc.  There are always instructions, but some patterns are harder to read than others.  I think I've had good luck with reading Burda patterns, but maybe someone else can offer advice on this, I can never remember which brands I've used!

Always make a mock-up of your pattern (that's a version of the finished shirt or whatever, made out of really cheap fabric).  With the mock-up, you'll learn how the pattern works without possibly destroying your expensive fabric.  Also, almost more importantly, you can fit the mock-up to you, so the outfit will actually fit you specifically (or whoever you're making the costume for).  Just wear the mock-up inside you, so the seams are sticking out, and pin it in so it fits you better.  This is also the stage where you can make needed alterations to make it exactly what you need. 

Just remember that every project is a learning experience.  I always come out at the other end of a project feeling like I've learned so much.  Start simple, even with non-clothing projects (like bags or quilts) if you're very very new to sewing, and try to aim to have everything as finished looking as possible by the end, and as well-fit as possible.  These aspects more than anything will help even the most simple outfits look more professional.  Good luck!

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 12:37:18 pm »
...4-H.....

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 01:08:04 pm »
A majority of the people here make their own costumes and I'm wondering, how did you all learn how to sew? What are your preferred methods, etc

If anyone has any tips for begginners just getting started that'd bee coo too.

b

How did I learn:
I didn't really... Trial and error was my best friend for 2 weeks. I don't recommend that, but I learn a lot when I figure things out on my own. And heck, I don't have time to go to a sewing class! :P I made my first cosplay via sewing machine this year. Other years..were by hand... -_-* I researched quite a bit on sewing machines when I purchased one last year. It is a Brother model...I forget the #. I just wanted something basic, can sew a line, and isn't expensive.  I read the manual on how to thread and change things, and then BAM! out came an outfit! LOL.

I actually planned how to do the outfit beforehand by drawing things out and thinking it through. "If I attach this to this (pin them together) and flip it inside out...will it work?"  Sometimes. And always leave room for error. If your waist is ... 30" don't cut out 30" of fabric...cut out 34"+ ... you can always alter a bit so the costume is snug (well depends on costume)... ^_^

It's actually fun learning to sew. It also saves a lot of money too~ Well, you gotta invest in a sewing machine, but eventually it would save $.
And so it begins...

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 01:15:29 pm »
I learned on my own by watching my mom and she's taught me a few things.
For machines I like Singers but I also use industrial ones like Bernina which is really good

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 01:22:53 pm »
For sewing machines I thought I'd throw out there that Vikings are super sweet and I love them <3
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 03:42:43 pm »
My sewing machine is a Singer which costs than $100 (in other words, the cheapest around lol) and it was my graduation present from my grandmother. It can't do any of the REALLY neat stitching tricks but it does all of the basics (aka everything I've needed) and works hella good. My friend and I have been using it a lot, even over several layers of fabric and so far, so good. It's also a very easy machine to understand. I'd recommend it for any newbie.
As for learning how to sew, I'm still new at it but luckily my mom used to make her own clothes or do commission work in high school, so she's been teaching me the basics.
Rather then going out and buying a lot of fabric to practice on, just take sheets and tear them up. Also, there are some really helpful sewing books for beginners that even come with easy patterns to practice with.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »
I kinda teach myself and learn as I go >_>

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 03:56:36 pm »
trial and error,
tho inmiddle scool we had a home ec class lasted like 6 weeks, make cake and such, and one thing was sewing book covers very hard to do with all of their piece of crap sewing machings, that were impossible to get the bobbin thread out,
i figured out a method to get it but putting the top thread thru the grate and tying te bobbin thread to it and pulling it up, every one else would have me thread their machines,

I would hand sew buttons and rips for my mom and brothers

then about 21 i got a sewing machines and made all the first time mistakes,  and learned
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 04:00:27 pm »
I learned by trial and error and error and error.  My mother lent me her old machine, but all she could remember about it to teach me was how to thread the bobbin (which she taught me wrong and I had to learn the hard way how to thread it), so I've learned a number of time-consuming lessons in the last three years.  And I will learn how to use a pattern sometime.  I combined two from the internet last year to make a Soul Reaper outfit (really seems simple now!) and this year I just used 99c sheets from the thrift store for my mockups, which I can pin to myself in the right shape and use markers on to make patterns from.  

I've also learned a bit from an old dressmaking book I figured I needed.  I'd recommend sewing classes instead of doing it all the hard way (there aren't any classes around here though).  This year I picked a "simple" costume, and ended up learning how to:  sew on the bias, do lining, do interfacing, do zippers, do curved zippers, do belt buckles, buttons, and real collars, use cams (old-fashioned version of embroidery stiches), eyelets (gromits?) and velcro.  But now I know how to do them all, so I shouldn't complain.;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:01:33 pm by Kurohime »

Offline Rainfeather

• Sailor Scout
    • Firebead
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 07:46:50 pm »
My grandmother taught me, and another good place to go for REAL good tips is Fabric Depot. You can ask them ANY questions (and seriously, you can tell them it's for cosplay - they're used to it), and they can suggest what material would look good, what material looks good in photos, etc.

Another thing you could do is get together with some friends, or maybe even some people on the Kcon forums that are willing to lend a few helpful hints. :3
Red Mage at heart.

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 07:48:32 pm »
I kinda teach myself and learn as I go >_>
I do this as well.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline ladyknightsgrace

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 08:28:45 pm »
I was sewing doll clothes when I was around 7 with my grandma's help so I can sew most tiny things by hand.  Machine-sewing:  same as many here I started w/ trial and error.  My mom saw and signed me up for Joann's fabrics classes.  I think I took the pj pants class (basic sewing, finishing work, and pattern reading) and then the project runway top shirt (gathers, ruffles, trims, altering patterns).  I highly recommend learning to use and modify patterns!  It's a really big time and money saver!

I've used my dad's Viking machine (yea, he likes sewing too) which is completely wonderous.  Last year he got me a basic Pfaff, normally it agrees with me...Both machines we bought at montavilla sewing center.  They usually have good sale prices and also they give you unlimited free lessons on how to operate the machine if you buy from them.
Most Recent Cosplays as of June '11:
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)
Taiwan (APH)
Sakuma Jirou (Inazuma Eleven)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »
I stared at my sewing machine, and commanded it to work for me.

It did, and we've been at this agreement ever since.

However, actually making things with this agreement in place... Not working so well, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:59:11 pm by LtCommanderRichie »

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 11:55:12 am »
Another thing you could do is get together with some friends, or maybe even some people on the Kcon forums that are willing to lend a few helpful hints. :3

This is a really fun way to go, I've had sewing days with friends before, and it's always helpful and fun!  Of course it can be kind of a pain having to transport your stuff to a friends house, but if you have a specific project you can finish in a day, it can be a blast.  I've also learned a lot this way.  It helps to have able friends a yard away if you machine blows up, you forget how to sew zippers, or you have a project meltdown and need tea, chocolate, and something distracting on tv.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 12:25:29 pm »
I learned a bit about sewing when I was a kid making a skirt in Brownies (the chibi Girl Scouts) and another skirt in 4-H....as well as hand-sewing doll clothes.

I then learned a LOT more when I joined the SCA my freshman year in college. My first official "costume" was a t-tunic and under-dress (used bias tape as trim/hem handling).

Over the years, I've been learning more and more by:
(1) Trial and Error - the best way to learn what NOT to do...
(2) Hanging out with other costumers - especially in the Greater Portland Area Costumers' Guild (http:\\www.robewarriors.com  and they have a yahoo group GPACG-general). There are other costuming groups in the Seattle area that are also great learning resources
(3) Attending (and later PRESENTING) panels at various conventions (sci-fi or anime)
(4) Attending classes at Sew Expo in Puyallup, Wa (http://www.sewexpo.com)
(5) Joining the American Sewing Guild (http://www.asg.org   and the local ASG group = http://www.columbiariversewing.com/  they also have a  yahoo group)

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 01:12:10 pm »
My best friend's momma taught me how to sew. lol
If you ever need help when I'm in town, just call me
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline SiderAnne

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 03:55:18 pm »
I learned from my grandma and my mom... and from trial and error... and from working in the Costume shop for my University's Theater Department. I like Singers best, and they can get pretty basic/cheap, since they've been around for over 100 years.

Fabric Depot is really awesome about all those weird questions you have. Plus, you can sign up to get coupons and things for some crazy specials they have. (10-50% off, or their big Summer Outdoor Clearance) Plus you can buy boxes of all the notions (buttons, snaps, zippers, thread...) as long as you want something basic (black, white, red...) It's really handy to have four spools of the same thread, so you don't have to keep running to the store.

I "make" pattern pieces out of Freezer Paper (grocery store) or Newspaper. Their both cheap and you can actually sew them if you're gentle. Plus it's easy to draw on while on your body, to mod a pattern if you need to.

I also like to have a mini-me (dress form). Make your own...
http://www.threadbanger.com/tb-projects/episode/THR_20090403
although I used duct tape and wore a bra, so the girlies were in the right place.
~~~* I don't always sing Ayumi Hamsaki in the shower *~~~

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 10:33:45 pm »
At school they might teach me the basics...

Although sewing runs in my blood...My aunt can sew sooo good..She can make a full gown with REALLY CRAZY PATTERNS on it  in one day..
She realy good..Next time I go to Washington I want to sew with her!

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 11:06:48 pm »
How much does a decent sewing machine cost?
I honestly am to lazy to google it when im already here.
My dads side of the family (villager russian) is where the art came from..They even new about anime and manga...
My moms side of the family is where my aunt is.. and other sewers too!

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 11:32:18 pm »
Yeah I know its popular but..MY 2nd COUSIN CAN DRAW IT! (well hes a artist anyway so...yeah.)
You need to see the drawings he drew for me...He drew the cover of my Rayman 3 case! And it was pracicly the darn same thing..O_O
So yeah thats the artistic side for ya!
If he can Im gonna ask him to draw me Cloud or something...

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 04:42:48 pm »
I was self taught and I've never used a sewing machine in my entire life. Well I tired once but it broke so I decided to stick to just hand sewing. And I'm damn good at it too! Or so I've been told. >_>

I'd give you tips, but I'm not sure how to form them into words, or what exactly a tip for hand sewing would be. At least for me its that way. :<
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 04:58:30 pm »
Some how I can magically sew. (And magically have musical and other artistic abilities that my friends would kill for XD) I have no clue how it happend. My own sewing machine Is a friggin antique Singer and its OLD but pretty. It folds into a desk. IT does simple stiches but thats all I need XD my mom has a fancy one in the deep closet of doom.

Seriously use a singer there cheap and efficient (thats if you dont destroy it). =D

XD hand sewing is a PAIN tofu! You must be ninja @ it =D anyways I had to hand sew alot for my miku costume cause the fabric and sewing machine were mortal enimies XD.

Welll sewing n00bs I have no clue what advice to giv u.... cause I sort of randomly already new how to sew (just make a pact with your sewing machine or somethin and things will work out XD)

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 06:28:04 pm »
I've always sort of been able to sew, but recently I started volunteering in the costume shop at my school. It's really cool, and I'm learning how to do things like zippers that would have been hard to learn alone.

my machine at home is also a Singer. I like the ones that are built into the desk because then you can lay the fabric out flat. I don't see why one would need a fancier sewing machine.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 06:43:46 pm »
I know rite a simple sewing machine is easy peasy XD If I had a fancy one I would get confuzzled and end up breaking it or somethin