Author Topic: First Time at an Anime Convention?  (Read 7151 times)

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
First Time at an Anime Convention?
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:33:14 am »
Hello! I'm not sure if I'll get a lotta replies to this, but I thought I'd post it up anyway >.<

Does anybody have a good like, walkthrough for how to experience an anime convention? lol

Kumoricon 2008 was my first time at an anime convention ever, and I only went for one day. I did cosplay (went as C.C. from Code Geass xD), but after going to the opening ceremony, I spent most of the time waiting in line with friends who didn't pre-register and getting stopped for pictures, so I didn't really get to do anything :(

This year will be the first year I'll be going for all three days (will be here on Friday as well!), I'll be staying at the hotel (I commuted by MAX from my house in Gresham last year) and I'll be bringing lots of luggage (got at least five cosplays lined up xD)

The only thing is, apart from meeting up with my cosplay groups for pictures and stuff, I'll pretty much be exploring the convention on my own (I have no friends, I'm that sad, lol) I'm sharing a hotel room with at least three other people, but they'll be strangers; I've never met them before! >.<

So for those of you who are veterans at going to conventions, how do you spend your weekend at Kumoricon? This would really help me out, thanks! :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:51:00 am by iluvshijimi »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: First Time at an Anime Convention?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:46:43 am »
Well, first thing I do is go on Friday evening to check-in for pre-reg (best way to avoid the even larger lines of the following morning). Get there early afternoon for expediency. After checking in and getting situated, I familiarize myself with the printed schedule and highlight what I really want to see, when I need/want to be where, and so on. Doing all that Friday night (before anything really begins) is key to making the weekend a success, in my opinion.

Also, once things start, just have fun. Use common sense, most of the rules are easy to follow if you use your head. Don't block the halls, be friendly, don't be afraid to ask a cosplayer for their picture if you really like their costume, respect their wishes if they don't feel like being photographed. It's a long weekend and you will no doubt have multiple chances to encounter the same people. It's a great weekend if you want to make it one!

Anyway, that is all pretty general, I can't think of many specifics right now, but welcome to (three days of) Kumoricon!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:54:34 am »
Well, first thing I do is go on Friday evening to check-in for pre-reg (best way to avoid the even larger lines of the following morning). Get there early afternoon for expediency. After checking in and getting situated, I familiarize myself with the printed schedule and highlight what I really want to see, when I need/want to be where, and so on. Doing all that Friday night (before anything really begins) is key to making the weekend a success, in my opinion.

Ah, I was wondering when the best time to check in for pre-reg on Friday was! Thanks a lot! And highlighting the things you want to see sounds like a great idea! Trying to do that on Saturday morning in the middle of a crowded hallway was definitely not the best idea last year lol.

Thanks again for the wonderful head start! I'm already a little bit more prepared thanks to you! :3
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:54:44 am by iluvshijimi »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:01:03 am »
haha, of course! Glad to be of help! Pre-Reg check-in usually begins at 6:00, but getting to the hotel by 3:00 or so is a safe bet because it allows you to check in to your room and then get straight to the line (which would probably be forming around that time).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 09:05:42 am »
Hehe, thanks again! You wouldn't happen to know if the line gets very long on Friday, would you? D:

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 09:09:21 am »
Last year was my first full year, the year before that I only got to go for half a day >_> My friend went in "07 and helped me through it, but I didn't have a hotel room, there for I advise you (and you already have) to get a hotel room. Its really hard to get up early enough and get ready, then have a car ride.

And just as Eve said, it really helps to highlight the things that you want to do the day before kcon. One thing from expierience too is that you should look at all the table in the Exhibitors hall before you buy. My friend dodn't do that and ran out of money really quickly. Also make a list of every thing you will need for the three days. Dont forget to include an emergency sewing kit in case your cosplay rips.

And the most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!!
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 09:16:06 am »
One thing from expierience too is that you should look at all the table in the Exhibitors hall before you buy. My friend dodn't do that and ran out of money really quickly. Also make a list of every thing you will need for the three days. Dont forget to include an emergency sewing kit in case your cosplay rips.

Ah, I didn't think of that! Last year I didn't plan on buying anything at all, so all I did was walk through the Exhibitor's Hall and took a quick glance at everything, but this year I really want to buy some stuff, so maybe I should bring a pen and paper with me to keep track of which booths has what xD I think I heard somewhere that you should get in there as early as possible so there are more things to choose from?

I read somewhere that an emergency sewing kit is a useful thing to bring. My outfit was fine last year, but if I have to manage more than one this year, I might need it >.<

Thanks for your suggestions! :)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 09:20:00 am »
Ah, yes, Emergency Kit is a great idea. Two essentials (if you ask me) are sewing tools and a glue gun (and sticks, of course). Between the two, you should be able to fix anything, if just temporarily for the weekend.

And as for the Friday line, it actually can get pretty lengthy. LAst year I showed up around 4:00pm, I believe, and the line was already a couple hundred people, split into two to four lines. So, yeah, the number of people who take the hint and pre-register grows every year. The first year I attended (2006) the pre-reg was only like a hundred, but it has boomed massively since then.

So yeah, the line can get pretty long, even on pre-reg. The earlier you can get there, the better.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 09:24:07 am »
Ack, I don't think we have a glue gun lying around our house anywhere, but I can definitely scrounge up the sewing kit x_x

Thanks again for the info on the pre-reg line. Last year I didn't come until Saturday morning at around 8:00 AM and spent quite a bit of time waiting there >.<

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 09:39:03 am »
Glue guns are nice because you can get a quality one for very cheap. It's best to get one that lets you switch between high and low heat, because you can then use glue on some cosplay needs that would otherwise require stitching. You can get a glue gun like that most places for around $10-15, not bad at all.

And also, if you're a prop-heavy cosplayer like I am, glue guns are more obvious in their application, haha. Glue guns are a must have if you do props a lot.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kawaii Punkd

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 10:02:05 am »
If all goes well this year, I'll be setting up the cosplay repair booth, so people have a place they can get/repair their props and costumes themselves. I'm really excited for Kumori this year since it's my 3rd Kumori~
MAX'in it from Beaverton all 3 days~

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 10:07:09 am »
Glue guns are nice because you can get a quality one for very cheap. It's best to get one that lets you switch between high and low heat, because you can then use glue on some cosplay needs that would otherwise require stitching. You can get a glue gun like that most places for around $10-15, not bad at all.

Wow, that's cheaper than I thought it would be! My costumes don't require very many or very large props, so I don't know how often I'd use it, but I think I might bring one just in case, thanks! :)

If all goes well this year, I'll be setting up the cosplay repair booth, so people have a place they can get/repair their props and costumes themselves. I'm really excited for Kumori this year since it's my 3rd Kumori~

That sounds really helpful! I'll be sure to stop by if my costume rips anywhere, haha xD

Edit: Would anyone happen to know if sharing a room with strangers is a good or bad idea? I thought it'd be fine until my friend just told me she shared a room with strangers once and they stole some her stuff and they charged her $200 to share the room with four other people @_@ I don't really have a choice but to share a room with strangers (like I said, no real friends and I don't want to be the fifth wheel if I butt into one of my other friends' rooms >.<) so I think I'm going to just get a written statement about the price and stuff, and bring locks for my suitcase =/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:38:06 am by iluvshijimi »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 02:57:38 pm »
If you're interested in video games, dancing, and eating, and not much of anything else, I can help you.  Otherwise, I don't think I'd be in a position to describe an ideal con experience for you. :P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 03:34:49 pm »
Hmm, I think I'd be interested to hear what tips you have about keeping your stomach full during the con? :)

Offline Namazzi

• Sailor Scout
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 09:38:33 pm »
I think EveofAbyss's advice is perfect, and probably what I would have suggested. Last year was my first year and it was a disaster. We left early in the morning on the first day, spent hours trying to find our motel room, and then had to wait hours longer just to get through the pre-reg to get in. We missed out on most of the first day due to this. It's not happening this year. Basically, leave a day early if it's possible, and plan out what all you want to go to. It makes for a much better con weekend. :)

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 10:58:00 pm »
Edit: Would anyone happen to know if sharing a room with strangers is a good or bad idea? I thought it'd be fine until my friend just told me she shared a room with strangers once and they stole some her stuff and they charged her $200 to share the room with four other people @_@ I don't really have a choice but to share a room with strangers (like I said, no real friends and I don't want to be the fifth wheel if I butt into one of my other friends' rooms >.<) so I think I'm going to just get a written statement about the price and stuff, and bring locks for my suitcase =/

Definitely negotiate a fair price beforehand, and if you're unsure, use a lockable suitcase *_* Try to keep anything highly valuable either with you or just at home. Try to only get a room with someone that is fairly known here or at another con, as in they have a decent number of forum posts. Then you can trash their rep if they do anything bad :) And try to have a fallback plan, another place to move your belongings or yourself to if anything comes up. You might make a friend at the con who you can trust this much~

Though I know most of this is common knowledge ._.; So... heh.

SEWING KIT :D

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 11:03:42 pm »
Thanks for the advice about having a backup place to crash if the first one doesn't work out Hazuza! And did you take that picture yourself? xD I didn't know sewing kits were so cute! Now I'll HAVE to get one. It could double as an accessory <3

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 11:06:54 pm »
They can be :'D

This one I got at some sanrio store~ Though I don't usually go looking around for them, so I don't know if they're the same in american stores *3*;

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 11:31:56 pm »
What others have suggested, plus make sure to get your ticket for viewing the cosplay contest and skits.  I was unaware I needed one last year and they were all out by the time the line started forming to get in.  For me, watching the show is the best part of the con, and I didn't get to last year.  >:(   :'(
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 11:37:02 pm »
You need a ticket to view the skits and cosplay contests?! D:
Thanks for letting me know about that, I didn't think about it at all o.o

Do you or anyone else happen to know where you can usually get one and if it costs money?
I really want to check out that part of the con if I don't end up being a part of the show this year.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:37:22 pm by iluvshijimi »

Offline Kawaii Punkd

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 01:13:38 am »
Yeah, roomsharing can be a hassle. Especially if you pick the wrong pair of people, or just a person can ruin a whole room of people's good attitude. I've had both happen 2 years running it kinda dampened my con experience, so I'd say go with someone you know, stay with them cause you know them.

If you can't find anyone, I'll extend a welcome to you, as I know what it's like being roomless at a con, or in a room you'd rather not be in. I know it's hard to find good people out there, who want you to have fun too; and I know I can help anyone have a good time, at a time when you're supposed to have a good time (Sometimes con drama can suck). I'd have to clear it with my roomies, but if you're not a rude or annoying and try to buy people, you should be fine :D

*Also about cosplay contests, sometimes there's a line, and the first however many people they can fit in get in. Then there's the ticket system, and they hand those out at a booth that's pre-designated (correct me if I'm wrong) and once they're out of tickets the event should be closed off. This is what I've seen. Security would be able to tell you about the policies on letting people in if others leave or anything like that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:19:44 am by Kawaii Punkd »

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 07:19:24 am »
Darrrn, I want to keep believing sharing a room with strangers can still turn out to be a nice, new friend-making experience, but I keep hearing more and more bad things about it xD The con is still several months away, so I do have some time to think, and actually one of my friends said I could squish into their room if I didn't mind the floor~ Thank you for the offer though, Kawaii Punkd!

I guess I'll have to show up a little early if I wanna try to get a ticket or get in line to see the cosplay contests >.< Gah, so many things to remember, I'll need to write a checklist or something! Thank you to everyone who contributed so far, I'm hoping to get all the con essentials in my radar before September arrives :3
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:08:10 am by iluvshijimi »

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 10:02:39 am »
Not everyone's bad. ;] You just need to keep a positive attitude. If you just REALLY don't like someone, just think: you're only going to see them a few times. When you sleep, and ect. Get up/leave the room earlier if you think there's going to be a conflict.

So, it's good to sometimes plan for worst-case-scenario, but just remember that it doesn't always happen.

Also. About the Friday pre-reg.
xD This took up a lot of time. Granted, I was able to talk to some cool people, but I got so confused by which line was the 'i have my badge' and which one was 'i'm buying a badge'. x.x I switched lines about four times, only to realize that the line I had first picked was the right one.

THE MAIDS ARE YOUR FRIENDS. Seriously! Most likely they'll be k-con staff, especially if they're holding up a sign. Very friendly people, and they'll help you without a second thought.

If you have a problem with someone, talk to the staff. They'll help you solve it. No one wants any rough-housing at the convention.

Sewing kit and glue gun ftw. Please, bring one. xD;;

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 10:11:35 am »
Ack! That's one thing I'm worried about for the Friday pre-reg; the line confusion >.< I think I said this in one of my earlier posts, but I arrived at the con early Saturday morning and had to wait in line for at least an hour. I was lucky enough to be in the correct line from the get-go, but I did see several disheartened people step out who had been there as long as I had. Will there be maids to help out on Friday though? If so, I'll definitely be asking one for line directions before I choose xD

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 10:15:55 am »
xD Yeah, I was in the line for a good hour and a half to two hours, due to all the line switching.

Maids on Friday? Well, I'm not sure. :/ There could be. xD That's a good question.

Offline Kawaii Punkd

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:12 am »
I know I'm signing up for Maid service on Pre Reg so I can help people get to where they're gonna be. I know how hard to can be waiting forever in a line you think is correct only to find that you've wasted all that time for a line you didn't need to be in.

Now to go see if that's possible~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 10:46:59 am »
There were maids and general Line-Aids at PRe-Reg last year, and I can promise you there will be some people there on Pre-Reg this year. Will they be maids? I don't know, but there will be some people to help the line confusion.

And really, to be honest, if you show up pay attention to what you're doing and LISTEN, there won't be any confusion. The people are there to help and they will do all they can to make the process simple, but really, it is just a matter of paying attention to where you are and what you're doing. ^_^

I showed up at Pre-Reg and wasn't confused at all, just to share a positive reflection on Pre-Reg lines, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 11:30:02 am »
I didn't get to read through everyone's comments thoroughly, but my one piece (lol) of advice is to plan what u want to do by looking at the schedule when it comes out. I think it is posted a few weeks before the con starts. What I did was highlight what I really wanted to do and make use of every (almost) minute I am there.

Ex:

Sunday---
9:00 am Ramen Firebowl Contest
11-1 Mario Kart tournament
1-3 some contest (lunch while I watch contest)
4-5 panel
5-? line up for concert ticket
et cetera....

The thing is, you want to have some sort of back up plan if your schedule is altered at some point. Say...9:00 contest was full, then alternative: neko ear workshop.

Basically, have a general idea of what you want to do and don't just walk blindly into the con expecting to see/do EVERYTHING! Pace yourself, DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, eat (please remember to eat), take breaks, and HAVE FUN!
And so it begins...

Offline Kawaii Punkd

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 12:39:01 pm »
Oh, speaking of eating and drinking. We were thinking of setting up something where we can have a stand with a rice cooker and make people rice balls with furikake (rice seasonings) and sell them for like 50 cents each. I still have to see if staff will let us do it, since we came up with the idea at Sakura, and we were supplying all our friends stuck at vendor booths with rice balls. Sakura has a no food other that the food the convention center provides rule, so I was thinking if Kumori was at a hotel, it might be do-able. This is if we get staff aproval, and I'm not too busy running around staffing/maiding/phototaking/repairing.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 12:51:58 pm »
OMG you will be my savior. I don't think any of my costumes will fall apart at kumoricon. If only someone did this for sakuracon x.x I was very unhappy with my Albel costume. Normally I would have gone back to the room and fixed it but it was the last day and my stuff was packed up already x.x

One thing I will let you know is that if you are cosplay a well known character and you are doing it well, be prepared to be stopped for pictures. It IS GOING TO HAPPEN! I went as Temari last year and I remember being stuck in one pose for about 15 minutes. My back was killing me after that (it was really really arched) http://images.cosplay.com/photos/17/1708275.jpg

I personally just go to get my picture taken and to take pictures. I typically don't go to any of the events or panels. I would suggest going to the host club tea party if they have it this year. That was a lot of fun and you will have to get your tickets before hand. I think they start to sell them the morning of....though I could be wrong.

Something that is also useful for other cons (not sure if kumoricon does it or not) is looking at the schedule in advance like people have said. Some cons post them online a few weeks before the con and I can't remember if kumoricon does or not.

Offline Kawaii Punkd

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2009, 01:31:56 pm »
OMG you will be my savior. I don't think any of my costumes will fall apart at kumoricon. If only someone did this for sakuracon x.x I was very unhappy with my Albel costume. Normally I would have gone back to the room and fixed it but it was the last day and my stuff was packed up already x.x

Oh, I know, it's always the year you expect nothing to go wrong that is all falls apart. I came so prepared for a disaster at Sakura, and nothing happened. Thank god, but I'll be making sure that nobody has a ruined experience cause someone accidentally stepped on their tail/ruined their staff with an impromptu glomping. Or anything else that just happens. Cause Murphy says it will, and we don't mes with Murphy, cause he can be a mean drunk.

In any case, yes. I will be around either feeding people/taking pictures/fixing costumes/and of course maiding when I get the chance~

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009, 01:35:41 pm »
Oh, speaking of eating and drinking. We were thinking of setting up something where we can have a stand with a rice cooker and make people rice balls with furikake (rice seasonings) and sell them for like 50 cents each. I still have to see if staff will let us do it, since we came up with the idea at Sakura, and we were supplying all our friends stuck at vendor booths with rice balls. Sakura has a no food other that the food the convention center provides rule, so I was thinking if Kumori was at a hotel, it might be do-able. This is if we get staff aproval, and I'm not too busy running around staffing/maiding/phototaking/repairing.

The idea of setting up food stands and booths has been brought up in the past and it has never worked for several reasons. The main reason it hasn't been possible (and probably will continue to be un-doable) is due to hotel and health codes. Pretty much when anyone wants to do something involving cooking/heating/or food prep of any kind it gets the red flag because it just becomes too much of a risk on multiple levels. I'm not saying don't try, but I'm just saying that it has never worked in the past.

I mean, sure there have been places in the Vendor Hall that have sold food and goodies, but they weren't cooking or preparing food within the hotel/con-space, and that makes all the difference.

So yeah, just a heads up, but good luck trying nonetheless!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 05:01:31 pm »
Well, I live right in the heart of Portland, so I can't give you much advice on hotel/transportation issues XD

One thing though: BRING SUPPLIES.
A sewing kit, tape, scissors, all that stuff. Bring it. More than likely, your costume will get a little tear in it. Its just helpful to keep stashed in your hotel room.

My process every year:
- Pre-register as early as possible. First deadline, if you can. 3 days for 30 dollars. I had to pay that much to get ONE day while waiting in a 4 line hour the first year I went LOL.
- Check out what panels and events you'll want to go to, so you can plan your eating/playing around those times. You wouldn't want to miss the Copic workshop for McDonalds, would you?
- If you really like merchandise and/or artist alley, hit those first. One year I went the merchandise room was shut down by the time I got there, and artist alley was fresh out of art XD
- Bathroom breaks are for sissies. Steak out a camera outside the door so you can see when theres no line. Aha.
- Just be friendly and happy (unless of course your character is depressed), and you can be sure to have a great time. And if anything goes wrong, hey, your so friendly and happy people will want to help you out!