Poll

Have you taken a Japanese class as a result of watching anime?

Yes
4 (50%)
No
1 (12.5%)
Only bought a few books
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: August 11, 2005, 12:06:24 am

Author Topic: Japanese PCC vs. PSU  (Read 4822 times)

Offline NWOtaku

• Cabbit
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« on: June 12, 2005, 12:06:24 am »
After more than 10 years of watching ANIME I have finally decided I really want to take Japanese .. and pay for it.

With that in mind and aspirations to do the JET program, I want to hear comments about the two Japanese programs that are closest to me, PCC and PSU. I want ot hear the GOOD and the BAD. I am especially interested in hearing from students and alumni who have gone to Japan after taking any classes.

Thanks!

-NWOTAKU
-NWOTAKU
2006 Info Booth Staff
2005 KumoriCon Art Show Director
2004 KumoriCon Art Show Manager
2002-2004 Sakura Con Art Show STAFF

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 12:21:04 am »
well i finaly decided after 2 years in the Japan & Animetion club i would finaly take japanese...

AS DOING SO! i had a hostial take over of the club and i em the the President of the Japan&Animetion Club at my school!
(no one ran agenst me beacuse 8 out of the 9 people there sed they would vote for me) :lol:

yep! :P

sad thing i havent herd of thoz programs tho... Sorry!

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 02:07:37 am »
Well, I haven't gone to Portland State or PCC but I think I can throw in my two cents....

I know that PSU has connections with Waseda University (the school I'm at) because there are people from PSU in my program group.  I'm not sure about PCC though they may have connections to another school.  If you do go with PSU and then go on the Waseda program, I'll give you a warning that Waseda still has a bunch of bugs it needs to work out of its system.

Learning Japanese and coming to Japan is really fun.  You feel great after you are able to have a conversation in another language with a total stranger.  You don't necessarily focus on the classes (in Japan) but you mostly try to have a good time outside the classroom, wandering around, checking out the sights, the people, testing and improving your language capabilities.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 08:17:27 am »
I attended the Japanese class at Rock Creek and wasn't that hard overall imo.  Rather hard to comment on it really as I'm not sure what to say exactly.  do note that the rock creek campus only has first year.

I do know that both places have an anime club although PCC only has one at Rock Creek(one I'm in charge of) as far as I know.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 02:34:15 pm »
Don't get me started about how much PSU's Japanese classes SUCK.
PCCs are easier and you learn common, real world Japanese, PSU you learn a form that only rich old ladies and elevator attendants actually use.
But the PSU JPN dept. has tenure! YAY, so no matter how many people complain, no changes will ever get made ! !!!

Edit : Oh yeah, I completed their Japanese speaking courses, fully.
Can't say I learned much.  They at least go in depth for grammar and such, but their methods are still outdated and they only have pseudo depth.  Like how you learn math in elementary school and then you get to high school and they tell you everything you learned about a subject was a waste of time.  Same ****.
And I learned japanese because I like video games.  And ninjas, oh boy.
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline khayman

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.teamarc.org
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 09:42:41 am »
I was going to say how much PSU's japanese teacher ruled, then realized I took Latin there lol.

However, if he is still around. Aloha High School had an excellent japanese teacher :)
=SynthesiS= KHaYMaN
~Jeff

Offline NWOtaku

• Cabbit
Latin and Aloha High
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 11:57:45 pm »
I took two years of Latin in High School and a year in college. Then they told in me in didn't count toward my major.  :(

Unless your teacher offers tutoring, he/she probably can't help me. Is your teaacher affiliated w/ JET?
-NWOTAKU
2006 Info Booth Staff

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 10:29:16 am »
i'm taking jpn at mhcc and the teaher is really good and there is a japanese tudor avalible, also they do a summer study trip to kyoto (i'm going on thursday)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 10:30:29 am »
i'm taking jpn at mhcc and the teaher is really good and there is a japanese tudor avalible, also they do a summer study trip to kyoto (i'm going on thursday)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline NWOtaku

• Cabbit
Kyoto!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 12:03:55 am »
I would like to hear about your trip when you come back. Sounds awesome.
-NWOTAKU
2006 Info Booth Staff

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Japanese PCC vs. PSU
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 01:07:46 am »
Quote from: "khayman"
I was going to say how much PSU's japanese teacher ruled, then realized I took Latin there lol.

However, if he is still around. Aloha High School had an excellent japanese teacher :)

Yes, Sundahl-sensei is an amazing teacher.

Anyway, PCC's Japanese program is good, although I took 101 through 103 at the Rockcreek campus with an American Sensei, and apparently depending on which campus you take the program they are all different. The Sylvania ones are more difficult I've heard.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]