Author Topic: ride to sakuracon on saturday, from eugene?  (Read 15181 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
ride to sakuracon on saturday, from eugene?
« on: March 09, 2005, 09:25:52 pm »
i've been invited to assist with fanfic programming at sc, which is actually a huge compliment to k-con.

however, i work saturdays, 6:30a-noon.

i *might* be able to get out of the whole shift, in which case, i get off friday at 4pm.

it is less unlikely that i might be able to get off at 9am.

i fear that if i work that early, then drive that far, i'll be too sleepy to effectively co-host an event.

if anyone else has a schedule quandry and could help, i will owe you forever!

it could even be in my own vehicle that we travel, so perhaps if there was someone who was willing to do some of the physical driving, but lacked a car or gas money, this could work out for both/all of us?

thanks
love
rem.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:49:32 am »
we're leaving thursday, but good luck and look for me when you get there.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 02:55:20 am »
We're going in Thursday, too.

Sorry I can't help.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 05:32:04 pm »
well, dustin, i hope you'll come read at the fanfic bedtime stories event! it appears that that event might be hosted by filkaeris and me, and we'd love to have you!

beau: will you have your cell phone there? perhaps you could text, call, email or pm me the phone number to your room too? hope to find you there.

might either of you have room for a ride home sunday? or on the floor of your rooms? i have an exboyfriend in seattle with whom i might be able to stay, if i can find him, but i don't think he's anywhere near the hotels, and i don't know my way around whatsoever.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 10:59:06 am »
we are prolly gonna have the same number of coming back as going up, so I don't think we'll be able to give you a ride back. And I'm not sure about our room space yet.
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 09:16:47 pm »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
well, dustin, i hope you'll come read at the fanfic bedtime stories event! it appears that that event might be hosted by filkaeris and me, and we'd love to have you!

beau: will you have your cell phone there? perhaps you could text, call, email or pm me the phone number to your room too? hope to find you there.

might either of you have room for a ride home sunday? or on the floor of your rooms? i have an exboyfriend in seattle with whom i might be able to stay, if i can find him, but i don't think he's anywhere near the hotels, and i don't know my way around whatsoever.

Unfortunatly, I havn't worked on anything for this year. Though, I doubt anyones interested in my old DBZ fanfic. I will come to hang out, and I'd love to help, if you need it.

I might have some floor space avaliable, especially if its only a day. Ill talk to my friend whos splitting the room with me. I already have some other friends crashing, but there should be enough room. I am not exactly sure how big the rooms will be, either.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 08:01:26 pm »
thanks, dustin. that would be great.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 12:02:07 pm »
Oh, you're going to Sakura Con this year? I didn't think you would! That's great!  Man, it seems like ages since last year's Sakura Con...

Sorry I can't help with the ride, but Beth and co. are going up Thursday as well. I hope you can find a ride.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 12:54:57 pm »
thanks, radien. say hi to amy for me, please.

what i might do is head up in my own vehicle, with brownie generously pinch-hitting as driver in hopes that i might sleep. thanks, brownie!

however, she and i will then both be looking for floor crash space. any suggestions?

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 02:42:48 am »
Whoah, Brownie is going too? But you don't have a place to stay...

Well, I have a friend who is stressing about funds because there will be only 3 people in their room to divide the costs between. They're at the Marriott. I roomed with one of them at an earlier convention and I know her sister. I'm not sure whether they'd be open to friends of a friend staying with them one night, but it'd be worth a try. Shall I ask?

Oh, also, Amy is in California on a road trip this week. But I'll tell her hi for you when she gets back. :)

Apollo Justice

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 12:45:36 pm »
hey  Steve, do you know if Jackie and her friends  are coming this year, I was so happy to see them at Kumoricon.
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 03:02:48 am »
I'm really not sure, BigGuy.  I emailed Jackie about it, but got no reply. The email address I was trying to reach her at may be outdated. I have her phone number, but I haven't tried to call her yet. If you're curious too, perhaps I should do so.

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 12:43:09 pm »
yes, steve, please, go ahead and ask your friend.
i really don't have a grasp of the layout of sakuracon. i *think* fanfic events are at the marriot, but if they're at the other hotel (which is what?) is that right down the street or something??? anyone have the street address so i can mapquest the marriot?

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
You should be able to go to the Sakuracon website and get the address to the Hilton, and then the Marriot is just right next door(actually up a hill and onto the next block, but you can totally see it from the hilton.)
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 03:32:31 pm »
right on, thanks.
i guess i'll see whether the programming director gets back to me about at which hotel the fanfic events are occurring, and then get its street address and mapquest it.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2005, 02:58:02 pm »
Okay, I will ask her. :)

EDIT: Okay, she just posted below!

The easiest way to find the Marriott when you've already found the Hilton, is to walk up the incline. Facing the front of the Hilton, take the street to the left of the Hilton, walk uphill a little ways, and you'll see it.

There is one other official hotel, the Clarion, but I don't know which of the surrounding hotels it is. I've heard it's across the street from the Hilton. I'm willing to bet it'll be visible from the Hilton's lobby entrance, though. And since this is the first year they've included it as an "official" hotel, there will probably not be very many con events held there. (In comparison, the Marriott now hosts the arcade, the dealer room, and some other events -- it was signed on back in 2003)

Apollo Justice

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 08:24:06 pm »
My group can hook you up for a room, easily. But the ride is a problem cause we're leaving on Thursday and live further up north than Eugene.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 12:40:23 pm »
thanks, that's great. hopefully there might be room for brownie, my travel companion/ co-driver, too? i am willing to use my own car to drive up, but only if someone is driving with me. if she chooses not to come, i'd arrive by bus or train. anyone know whether amtrak or greyhound arrives closer to the hotels?

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 02:06:32 pm »
Rem, are you going to seek a ride back in somebody's car if you take the train or bus up? Or will it save any money to buy a one-way ticket? I know that sometimes the price of buying a one-way ticket isn't any cheaper than a round trip on airlines, but I don't know about trains or Greyhound.

As for the bus and train station, I've heard that they're too far away to reasonably plan on walking. However, if you have it planned out, I'm sure we can find somebody to drive over and pick you up when you arrive. :)

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 09:11:05 am »
i will call brownie today and try to find out if we're driving or....yeah, it would help if, once i got to the greyhound and/or amtrak, i would be able to be picked up by anyone...haven't checked prices yet, but am assuming most cars are full

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 02:20:53 pm »
it seems that things are going to work out with your friend, radien; thanks! now, do you know: if i am at the marriot, but don't have a room in my name, can i park there? if so, what would it cost? if not, where would i park?
thanks,
rem.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 11:26:54 pm »
Great! :) Awesome! I hope we get a chance to hang out together sometime at the con.

As for the Marriott, I think you can park under someone else's name if they authorize it in some way, but you may still have to pay. I don't know any more than that; you should probably check the Sakura Con site and see if it can link you to that info.

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 12:54:37 pm »
i sent my license plate info to your friend and asked her to check with the con if there could be 2 cars registered to her room

a backup might be dustin as he posted in another sc thread that his friend cancelled

brownie did agree to come with and drive so we will be in my car

the only exception would be if, G-d forbid, there were complications after my surgery tentatively scheduled for wednesday

keep ya posted and yeah, i'd love to hang out, steve (& everyone!)

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2005, 09:55:42 pm »
i sent my license plate info to your friend and asked her to check with the con if there could be 2 cars registered to her room

a backup might be dustin as he posted in another sc thread that his friend cancelled

brownie did agree to come with and drive so we will be in my car

the only exception would be if, G-d forbid, there were complications after my surgery tentatively scheduled for wednesday

keep ya posted and yeah, i'd love to hang out, steve (& everyone!)

If ya need a ride home Sunday, and I do indeed make it (small chance I still won't), I can offer it. However, the only place I know how to get to in Eugene is Valley River Mall, which is actually Springfield, I think. Yeah, Eugene is big, and I havn't really had the time to explore, because I live in Florence. However, if I do make it, I do intend to leave early, as I don't wanna arrive late getting home.

I'll know for sure by Monday if I am coming. At the latest, Tuesday.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2005, 06:35:09 am »
Rem:

Surgery? o_o I hope it goes alright... I'm hoping the fact that you're still planning on going means that it is expected to be a simple procedure. I hope it is, regardless.

If you want, I could check with Beth to see if we have room on the way back, but I think she's filled her car by now.

Dustin:

Valley River Center? Yes, that is actually in Eugene. It isn't near to where Rem lives, near campus, but the plus side is that many buses run between VRC and the uni campus.  As long as you don't get back too late, Rem might be able to catch one.

Don't let me speak for her, though.  I'm not necessarily up-to-date on her living and commuting arrangements.

Apollo Justice

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2005, 03:52:47 pm »
Quote from: "Radien"
Dustin:

Valley River Center? Yes, that is actually in Eugene. It isn't near to where Rem lives, near campus, but the plus side is that many buses run between VRC and the uni campus.  As long as you don't get back too late, Rem might be able to catch one.

Don't let me speak for her, though.  I'm not necessarily up-to-date on her living and commuting arrangements.

Ah, okay.

See, I know nothing about Eugene. I just know to how to get to that mall. I also know that the Circuit City there has some good prices on stuff.

Hopefully I can start learning more about Eugene.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2005, 12:12:46 am »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Dustin:

Ah, okay.

See, I know nothing about Eugene. I just know to how to get to that mall. I also know that the Circuit City there has some good prices on stuff.

Hopefully I can start learning more about Eugene.

You're not thinking of Gateway Mall, are you?  Gateway is the one in Springfield.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2005, 01:40:51 pm »
Ah, yes.... Dustin, you are thinking of Gateway Mall.  Gateway Mall was on same street (named Gateway, of course) as the hotel Kumori Con was held at, back in 2003. It has a Circuit City to the left of the main mall (south, on the compass).

If you drop Rem off that far away from the campus in Eugene, I might be able to pick her up and take her home. That's only going to work if she arrives after my ride gets home, though...

Apollo Justice

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 03:55:56 pm »
Ah, yes.... Dustin, you are thinking of Gateway Mall.  Gateway Mall was on same street (named Gateway, of course) as the hotel Kumori Con was held at, back in 2003. It has a Circuit City to the left of the main mall (south, on the compass).

If you drop Rem off that far away from the campus in Eugene, I might be able to pick her up and take her home. That's only going to work if she arrives after my ride gets home, though...

Then I must be thinking of Gateway mall. Yeah, thats the only place I really know how to get to in Eugene.

If she does need the ride, thats where I'd be able to take her.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2005, 06:20:02 pm »
Then I must be thinking of Gateway mall. Yeah, thats the only place I really know how to get to in Eugene.

Springfield. ;) You could say it's the only place you know how to get to in Lane County, to be specific. But yeah, that's it.

Don't mind me... I was just one of the few Springfielders on a Kumori Con committee comprised mostly of Eugenians, so I enjoyed poking fun at them that the 2003 con was technically not in Eugene, despite what it said on the T-shirts. In reality, the distinction only really matters if you live here.

Apollo Justice

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2005, 08:51:46 pm »

Springfield. ;) You could say it's the only place you know how to get to in Lane County, to be specific. But yeah, that's it.

Don't mind me... I was just one of the few Springfielders on a Kumori Con committee comprised mostly of Eugenians, so I enjoyed poking fun at them that the 2003 con was technically not in Eugene, despite what it said on the T-shirts. In reality, the distinction only really matters if you live here.

Naw, 'cuz I live in Lane county, just not around Eugene and Springfield.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 10:31:39 pm »
Really? Well now, I feel silly. I guess I don't know exactly how far Lane County extends, or overestimated how often people visit Eugene (or Springfield).  I usually just say "Lane County" when I want to refer to the local area without specifying Eugene or Springfield.

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic...

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2005, 09:49:56 am »
brownie and i will be (G-d willing) driving up together
thanks though, all
i moved since you last drove me home, and am further from campus

fanfic bedtime stories will be at the marriott, in the bellevue room, saturday at 9pm

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2005, 01:29:57 am »
Excellent. :) Well, I wish you a quick recovery and a safe trip.

By the way, I may actually have cause to visit a fanfiction event this year. I'm working on a backstory for a character application to an RPG I want to join (player slots in high demand), which means that I'm in the rare state of writing a (very) short story. Thus, it would be nice to get opinions from you people.

Apollo Justice

Offline ladyamythiste

• Oni
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2005, 08:06:00 pm »
I was wondering if anyone in Eugene has room in their car for one more, I have a friend who just found out he can attend the convention but only if he can get a ride.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2005, 02:38:16 pm »
Sorry, it's a little late... I just saw your message, and our ride is picking us up any moment now. :?

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2005, 04:27:12 pm »
Quote from: "ladyamythiste"
I was wondering if anyone in Eugene has room in their car for one more, I have a friend who just found out he can attend the convention but only if he can get a ride.

i can't promise anything, but you can give your friend my number, 484 4390, and my name (ellen)

(a) i would need brownie's consent to add someone we (probably) haven't met to such a long journey

(b) there is a chance my partner and his roommate might ride up with us to visit their family members on the olympic peninsula...drop us off in seattle and go up there in my car...if that happens, my car is already over full. if that doesn't happen, and brownie agrees, maybe i could take your friend.

however, brownie and i are going to be deciding tomorrow, whether we are going up tomorrow night or early saturday morning. so that also makes me reluctant to offer space to another person, since i don't know when s/he wanted to go.

meantime, i did have my surgery. it went so-so. had some complications, went to urgent care, am on antibiotics, and slightly queasy periodically. but doing much better than i expected!

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2005, 07:58:15 pm »
meantime, i did have my surgery. it went so-so. had some complications, went to urgent care, am on antibiotics, and slightly queasy periodically. but doing much better than i expected!

Glad to hear everything went well, Ellen!

When ya do get here, be sure to come see me. I am in room 1277 of the Hilton. Looking forward to saying "Hi". Oh, and since these rooms ARE huge, if ya need crashing space, just say the word. :D