Author Topic: Cowboy Bebop Live Action Movie  (Read 6941 times)

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
Cowboy Bebop Live Action Movie
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:59:40 am »
Keanu Reeves will play Spike in a new Cowboy Bebop Live Action Movie. Here is a link to the story.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-15/live-action-cowboy-bebop-proposal-officially-announced

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Cowboy Bebop Live Action Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 02:44:45 pm »
I'm not happy about that >_<

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:55:07 pm »
But he knows Kung-Fu...   ~sarcasm~
Team Koga

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:15:46 am »
I'll still see it but even I don't have high hopes for this one =/

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:25:12 pm »
I heard a sound like millions of fans screaming out and then suddenly going silent.

A bad star won't necessarily ruin the movie, Bebop has a strong enough cast that I think the movie can still be awesome without the right Spike. I will remain hopeful for the movie unless they show him kissing Faye in the trailer. That would be the worst thing I can think of as far as "out of character" stuff.

I'm more worried about who'll be Ed. It's hard to find believable smart girls in hollywood.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:26:56 pm »
Yeah that would be really bad. I'm still a little hopeful XD

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:14:25 pm »
It might be... interesting. If I were to pick actors for a Bebop movie, Keanu Reeves wouldn't be my first choice to play Spike. I would've chosen a younger dude... like maybe Shia LaBouf (then again, Shia might be too young, but I would've chosen some closer to Spike's age).

Well, let's see who else they announce to play the other roles. They just better not mess up on Vicious (if they even plan on including Vicious).

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:09:01 pm »
I figure they would.....he is a rather important character >_>

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:41:32 pm »
So who would everyone cast?
And why?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Beruchi baka

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:22 am »
....ZOMG.*ubersquealfangirlmoment*

-ahem- D: I wouldn't pick Shia LaBouf for Spike. Throughout the entire movie I'd be humming, "Dig it uh uh uh, dig it uh, dig it uh uh uh, UH, two shoes two tokens in hand..." XD;

>_> Then again, I wouldn't pick Keanu Reeves, either, even if I'm half in-love with him.^///^

I'd love to see who they're going to cast as Ed. o///o :D And not just because she's my favorite. (._.U)
"Dear Diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. [flips page] Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:16:58 am »
One of my main fears about the movie is the music.  If they can't have the music from the series, or even new music, there might be a world of ear hurt soundtrack to sit through while Reeves looks spacey.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:49:11 pm »
Keanu Reeves playing Spike already makes me a little iffy about the film.  I think they need someone who's a little more loose and easy-going or at least someone who can pull off a similar hair style.

I thought of other castings that would make people cringe...
"Ed shall be played by Miley Cyrus and Ein shall be played by the dog from Fraiser."

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 08:29:39 am »
In Keaneu's favor he could try and be more like "Ted" Theodore Logan than his more recent characters and actually do a reasonable job.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 09:17:54 am »
That's what I was thinking, (when I finished laughing).  Personally, I think he can act, it's just that some of his most recent stuff has had him do crappy roles.  A Walk in the Clouds was one of his best pieces of work, I think.

It might be... interesting. If I were to pick actors for a Bebop movie, Keanu Reeves wouldn't be my first choice to play Spike. I would've chosen a younger dude... like maybe Shia LaBouf

Who's that?

My picks
   Spike - Well, if Heath Ledger were still alive, I'd at least consider him.
   Faye - This one was kinda tough.  At first I was thinking Rebecca Romijn, but then I was like, "Why?"  Then I thought about Katie Holmes; no.  Then I thought Anna Paquin; too short.  This one is tough; I'd have to rely on my expert staff to help out with this one.
   Ed - Haley Joel Osmond.  Just kidding.  I would prefer an actual child over an adult who looks like a child.
   Jet - Ron Perlman, the dude who played Hell Boy.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:05 am »
Elle Fanning, Dakota Fanning's little sister, could do Ed. She's just as talented as her sister (who is a little too old at this point for the role) and she can do a very wide range of characters. She also loves having new names in each movie and I think that she'd jump at the chance to have one so unique!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1102577/
She'd just need a tan.

I've never cared for Faye much so I don't think it'd be too hard to find some pretty actress who can argue loudly. I can think of a bunch that'd fit the role but none that really seems very interesting. The thing about Faye is that she acts so differently toward the others depending on the episode so the screenplay itself would be what I would use to decide on an actress.

Ron Perlman would make an excellent Jet Black. He might be a little too old at this point though. I know, I know, Jet's supposed to be the older guy but I think we could find some fresh talent out there for Jet. If not a new actor then someone a little younger like Adam Baldwin (think of a cross between his role on Chuck and his role on Firefly). The trouble is finding and actor to make Keaneu look younger. Since he's no spring chicken I suppose you'd actually need someone like Perlman in the role of his "older and wiser" partner.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40:35 am »
She is so CUTE!

As for me I have no idea about Faye either but Ron Perlman sounds good to me for Jet ;D

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 06:52:20 pm »
Elle Fanning, Dakota Fanning's little sister, could do Ed. She's just as talented as her sister (who is a little too old at this point for the role) and she can do a very wide range of characters. She also loves having new names in each movie and I think that she'd jump at the chance to have one so unique!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1102577/
She'd just need a tan.

I didn't even know she had a sister.

I've never cared for Faye much so I don't think it'd be too hard to find some pretty actress who can argue loudly. I can think of a bunch that'd fit the role but none that really seems very interesting. The thing about Faye is that she acts so differently toward the others depending on the episode so the screenplay itself would be what I would use to decide on an actress.

Also keep in mind that she's the sex symbol of the group; that's enough to make it matter to many viewers.  Personally, I'm just having a hard time thinking of someone to play the, uh, "wide" role who might also pull off the look.  I hope that it's not Jessica Alba or Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Ron Perlman would make an excellent Jet Black. He might be a little too old at this point though. I know, I know, Jet's supposed to be the older guy but I think we could find some fresh talent out there for Jet. If not a new actor then someone a little younger like Adam Baldwin (think of a cross between his role on Chuck and his role on Firefly). The trouble is finding and actor to make Keaneu look younger. Since he's no spring chicken I suppose you'd actually need someone like Perlman in the role of his "older and wiser" partner.

Yeah, he is getting kinda up there; he's in his fifties now, isn't he?

Offline lin_hikaru_7

• Sailor Scout
    • [chaoTIC QUIXOtic]
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 06:56:08 am »
My stomach acid just ate my throat.

...oh gosh, what if they get rid of Kanno Yoko and bring in some crappy genera-Hollywood composer?

WHAT IF THEY GET AMY WINEHOUSE TO SING A THEME SONG!?!?!?!?!

Uncontrollable shaking and panic setting in right about now. Please, please God, have somebody abort this project before it comes to fruition.

Also, just say no to the Fanning sisters. Howsabout casting an unknown for once? An unknown who isn't related to famous sister/ADR cousin/musician father/insert standard famous relative who gets cute but by no means fantastically talented younguns cast in things.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:05:05 am by lin_hikaru_7 »
cosHISTORY

Sakura Con 06
   Kinomoto Sakura ~pink kitty ver~

Kumori Con 06
   Olette ~khii~
   Marlene ~ffviiac~

Kumori Con 07
   Elena ~ffviibc~

Kumori Con 08
   Elena ~ffviibc~
   Hatsune Miku ~vocaloid~

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 08:20:49 am »
I will definitely agree with the Amy Winehouse thing, and having an unknown playing Ed.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 07:53:56 am »
You know what the problem with casting an unknown is? THEY'RE UNKNOWN.
You can't argue the positives and negatives of an actor if you don't know them.

You just don't know any kids that could fill the part. How about an actual opinion to back up your negativity?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 08:41:14 am »
how about some of the little girls from church?  They are so cute :)
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline lin_hikaru_7

• Sailor Scout
    • [chaoTIC QUIXOtic]
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 04:37:13 pm »
You know what the problem with casting an unknown is? THEY'RE UNKNOWN.
You can't argue the positives and negatives of an actor if you don't know them.

You just don't know any kids that could fill the part. How about an actual opinion to back up your negativity?

Just because you are enamored of the current Hollywood system which in my view is little more than an Russian imperialist view of creative inbreeding (which may be colored by a degree of anger in that they want to remake something that is perfectly on it's own, or may not be), doesn't mean what I just stated isn't an opinion. Also, how do you know that I don't know of anybody who could fill that part? You've never looked inside my head, just as I have never looked inside of yours.

All I am saying is I'd love it if for once, instead of just picking a similar wee relative of another bankable star, they actually put a little thought into the search. There are literally thousands of kids out their with talent, who will never have a chance at a acting career simply because no one is willing to go out on a limb. Hollywood is stale, and watered down, and because of that, their entire industry is in jeopardy. The very point of screen tests is to see if that unknown person might fit the role, I'm not asking that casting directors put someone in a role by lottery, I'm just asking that they look in places that go beyond the cute little relative of someone who already has a career.

Certainly, it's possible that the famous kid sisters may be best for the role but that sort of casting pick is so common now a days that I would love it if they searched beyond the usual suspects.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:11:36 pm by lin_hikaru_7 »
cosHISTORY

Sakura Con 06
   Kinomoto Sakura ~pink kitty ver~

Kumori Con 06
   Olette ~khii~
   Marlene ~ffviiac~

Kumori Con 07
   Elena ~ffviibc~

Kumori Con 08
   Elena ~ffviibc~
   Hatsune Miku ~vocaloid~

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 12:40:24 pm »
Like most, I don't have high hopes for this either. Personally, I think live action adaptations stood stay in Japan. I'm not so happy about the sudden US interest in making live action movies based off anime. US should stick to comic book movies. Even though those usually turn put okay at best >_<
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 12:42:20 pm »
Like most, I don't have high hopes for this either. Personally, I think live action adaptations stood stay in Japan. I'm not so happy about the sudden US interest in making live action movies based off anime. US should stick to comic book movies. Even though those usually turn put okay at best >_<

I think most would agree Watchmen defies that idea of comic book-based films, heh

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 01:52:43 pm »
I've yet to see Watchmen, but I will say, I have high hopes for that one.
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 09:19:44 am »
I always wanted to see a live-action version of this anime, but I don't know if Keanu is the right choice to play Spike >.< He was lookin' a little older in Street Kings last year.

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 12:23:38 pm »
Meh, my only problem with Keanu is he's not fluid enough in his motions. I think he could do the Spike attitude, but the Spike movement? Not so sure.
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Offline kagekara

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 12:36:28 pm »
Keanu Reeves will play Spike in a new Cowboy Bebop Live Action Movie.

That is HEARTBREAKING news... Spike is one of my most beloved anime characters, and Keanu possibly the last person I'd want to see in the role. I don't have a clue who could do it justice...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:17:21 pm by kagekara »
2009, 2010 - Staff
2007, 2008, 2009 - Go (baduk, weiqi) workshop