Author Topic: Painted sculptey in the wash?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
Painted sculptey in the wash?
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:26:01 pm »
So.. I am trying to shrink my blazer, and there are sculpted studs on it that have been painted...
 If I put it in the wash with hot water, with something happen to the studs, or will paint come off, etc??
 Thank kyuu
I like goats.

Offline myalchod

• Sailor Scout
Re: Painted sculptey in the wash?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:26:35 pm »
Depends on the washer in question, the paint, how it's sealed, and the detergent.  There's really a number of different factors that can affect that.
If I were you, I'd try running a "sample" of the studs (something of the same material or similar material painted in the same way) through the wash with the same conditions and see what happens.  If you know the paint's not temperature-sensitive (it's not the same, but you could always try putting a little boiling water on a stud to see how it reacts?), then I'd wash your stuff without detergent (or something very mild in its place), or even omit washing and just get it damp, put it into a delicates bag to protect the studs from whacking against metal, and run it through the dryer on high several times instead.

(Note that this is all speculative.  I've always made those sorts of things removable so that I could still wash the garments.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:27:02 pm by myalchod »

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
Re: Painted sculptey in the wash?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:37:44 pm »
yeah that would really wory me. id try washing it by hand in cool-warm water. that should be fine...as long as the pain isnt water soluble.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)