Poll

Jaki needs some help with a K-con Dance event, so we need to decide which idea we want to run with. We are looking at ONE dance for sure this year. Not sure about more than that due to time/resources. So what dance would you rather attend?

Masquerade Ball
9 (22.5%)
Swing Dance
9 (22.5%)
Sock Hop
4 (10%)
Anime Dance
15 (37.5%)
Other. Please specify.
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Mini Event: Dance poll. Voice your opinion here.  (Read 13723 times)

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
Mini Event: Dance poll. Voice your opinion here.
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:55:47 pm »
Here is the run down of the choices:

Masquerade: Formal/Cosplay (No Jeans and T-shirt cosplays either). Slower style. Must wear mask or one will be provided. We have done these in the past so if you have been to one previously, picture that.

Swing: Swing attire/Cosplay/Nice Semi Formal. Swing music. Probably Gaming room for poker again and such.

Sock Hop: 50's style/Cosplay/Nice Semi Formal. 50's style music. Outside of dance events not specified yet.

Anime Dance: Cosplay/Nice Semi Formal. Japanese/Anime/Video Game music (most likely donated by karaoke) Outside of dance events not specified yet.

Please leave comments on how to make any of these choices awesome. And please feel free to add new choices. I will add them to the poll list as they generate interest. We (Jaki and I at the moment) plan to keep this active for at least 2 weeks to hope to decide what our more popular choice is.

*and remember I gave everyone 2 options to vote as we may be adding new options to vote on as this thread progresses. You can save them till the end or use them as you wish.*

:) :) :) So let us know what you want to dance too! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:00:48 pm by Deviant Spider »
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Mini Event: Dance poll. Voice your oppinion here.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:01:43 pm »
I personally like the idea of the anime dance. I don't think it is something we have done yet (or at least the last two years I have been involved with kumoricon). Other then that I like the idea of a masquerade ball but no rave music this time ^_^

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
Re: Mini Event: Dance poll. Voice your oppinion here.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:10:20 pm »
I personally like the idea of the anime dance. I don't think it is something we have done yet (or at least the last two years I have been involved with kumoricon). Other then that I like the idea of a masquerade ball but no rave music this time ^_^

Well with an Anime theme we can play everything from fast to slow music and everyone should be happy. We hesitate to use the name Rave on any dance as it implys many negative things to some parents. Jaki would prefer not to run a techno dance as they always get bad reviews. And yes this would be the first Anime dance. *plus we could all have fun identifying songs to our favorite shows/video games LOL*
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: Mini Event: Dance poll. Voice your opinion here.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 06:35:05 pm »
Another vote for anime dance here ^^

Hearing my favorite songs always gets more more pumped up xD So I'd most likely come to this one.... And most likely dance~

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 06:38:02 pm »
I said masquerade and swing because I like dressing up and dancing.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »
I like dressing up as well.....it might give me a reason to wear my prom dresses again ^_^

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 06:48:27 pm »
yay for random prom dresses!
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 06:55:23 pm »
If I decided to wear one I would need to think of a female character with my hair color to "be"

I know it isn't necessary but it makes it so much more fun ;D

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:01:42 pm »
My friend taught me how to swing dance, so that would be fun!  If I could find a partner. :/
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 07:50:47 pm »
The swing dance last year was a blast and also lent itself well to having side activities.  That would be my top pick. 

Second choice would be a masquerade ... or at least something where we can use all those darn banners I made with Jaki and Gina for the first masquerade :)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AddictedtoText

• Oni
    • Addictedtotext: the Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 08:03:56 pm »
I vote for the Anime dance, with no techno.

second would be the masqe ball but i like the idea for the anime music one better.
- 2008 Registration Staff
- 2008 Vice Helper
- 2009 Registration Manager
- 2009 Merchandise Coordinator

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 08:04:30 pm »
My friend taught me how to swing dance, so that would be fun!  If I could find a partner. :/

then you can teach me ;) and to get a partner all you have to do is look pretty XD

Idk we could find someone to drag along

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 09:17:12 pm »
Just checking, what is meant by a swing dance here? Are we talking western/ square? Or are we talking 1920s lindy hop?

My exboyfriend runs sound at the most popular local club. The most popular night there is 80s night. So I thought maybe an 80s night with educational activities about and anime showings of 1980s anime, with themed fanfic and fan art contests.

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

oslapedo

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 09:20:41 pm »
I concur that an anime dance would be the funnest. At the dances at KCon last year the songs I enjoyed the most were those from anime and video games.

I spazzed when the Hare Hare Yukai came on :D

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 10:29:15 pm »
Just checking, what is meant by a swing dance here? Are we talking western/ square? Or are we talking 1920s lindy hop?

My exboyfriend runs sound at the most popular local club. The most popular night there is 80s night. So I thought maybe an 80s night with educational activities about and anime showings of 1980s anime, with themed fanfic and fan art contests.

Well at last years we just had some big band swing music. Zoot Suit Riot was played *to death* but was a fun song to swing too. We also had an instructor come in to teach some basic steps. They did some lindy but no one else really did. We would probably stick to that kind of feel.

It seems like you want to run the 80's theme separatly if I read that correctly...If ya want me to add an 80's theme to the poll let me know. This particular poll is mostly just for the dance though as we arent sure the venue yet or how much space we shall have for other events, ex. viewings/contests etc.
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 11:38:34 pm »
I voted for Masquerade Ball and Anime Dance. I wish I could've voted for a third option, cause' I would've also chosen swing. Had there been a 4th option, I would've chosen Sock Hop (too many options...).

I like the Masqued Ball because I'm a sucker for period movies and corsets ^_^. I just love that old-school elegance that you rarely see nowadays. And since I've been taking a ballroom dancing class at CCC, I can actually DANCE and show my stuff on the dancefloor, though I'm more likely to rip my dress and break my leg.

An anime dance sounds like fun. There's alot of very fun anime/video game music that's really danceble.

I really liked the swing dance because I love Jazz music! Zoot suits, tommyguns, gangsters, prohibition n' bootleggers- I love that stuff ^_^.

A sock hop would be really fun I think. I still get to hear Jazz music and then we can play rock! Maybe if someone has an actual RECORD PLAYER, we could use people's LP collections!

I always thought it'd be fun to have a semi-formal "Rock Royale" dance. People can dress as if they were rock stars and we'd dance to rock music- from classics to new releases. But no mosh pits ^_^.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 07:06:55 am »
okay a sock hop with actual socks, basicaly shoes off at the door and you wear your awesomest sock you got, knee high, fuzzy, slipper socks, toe socks halloween socks, what ever, here would be contests for scarest socks or cutest socks and best "sock" dance
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 01:30:09 pm »
That sounds like it would be fun to. I would go to it.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 05:48:40 pm »

Well at last years we just had some big band swing music. Zoot Suit Riot was played *to death* but was a fun song to swing too. We also had an instructor come in to teach some basic steps. They did some lindy but no one else really did. We would probably stick to that kind of feel.

It seems like you want to run the 80's theme separatly if I read that correctly...If ya want me to add an 80's theme to the poll let me know. This particular poll is mostly just for the dance though as we arent sure the venue yet or how much space we shall have for other events, ex. viewings/contests etc.

Sounds awesome!
No, I just was filling in the blank for the 'other' category. I imagine many of the folks who'd come to a dance are younger than those nostalgic for the 80s that make the night so popular in Eugene!

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 02:20:58 am »
strange....is it just me or am I the first guy to comment on this....?

anyway, I'm not sure which dance to vote for yet.  I can't dance yet but I kinda perfer to see one of the more formal dances, either masqurade or swings.  Also, need to try having a non crossplay formal attire for them anyway.
Anime dance may nice for its simple fun.  I'll have to came back to this to vote.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:22:16 am by Seraph »
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

oslapedo

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 10:14:04 am »
okay a sock hop with actual socks, basicaly shoes off at the door and you wear your awesomest sock you got, knee high, fuzzy, slipper socks, toe socks halloween socks, what ever, here would be contests for scarest socks or cutest socks and best "sock" dance

Oh my gosh, if that's what a sock hop is then I'm so glad I voted for it as my second choice. That would be uber fun!

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 10:40:08 am »
@superjaz
and at the 'sock' hop. you hop a lot in those socks. XD the idea of that sock hop is actually pretty cool. people could even make their own socks if they wanted too. :3 and it'd be so fun to slide around on the floor...unless it was carpeted.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 10:51:06 am »
I like the idea as well. It would be my third choice >_>

;D

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 04:22:57 pm »
I would be willing to share my music collection for swing if there is an over abundance of cherry poppin daddies ;)
(go swing!)
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 06:47:30 pm »
I would be willing to share my music collection for swing if there is an over abundance of cherry poppin daddies ;)
(go swing!)

Thanks! Ill remember that. I also have a little to add as well.*Or to any of the choices LOL*
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 09:37:22 pm »
Re: the sock hop idea - we could have a "coolest sock contest"... but socks on dance floor are a safety issue, so it would be a limited time offer, sorry.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 09:53:25 pm »
aww that's too bad. I really like that idea =/

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 10:29:15 pm »
Re: the sock hop idea - we could have a "coolest sock contest"... but socks on dance floor are a safety issue, so it would be a limited time offer, sorry.

On the up side, we could likely talk to Sock Dreams about sponsership :)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 07:53:45 pm »

On the up side, we could likely talk to Sock Dreams about sponsership :)

I love Sock Dreams! They have some of the coolest sock designs!

To be on topic, I didn't think we could actually dance in our socks- socked DDR is bad (and fun ^_^) enough.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 01:10:31 pm »
Yeah. I think an Anime dance/costume dance would be best. stick to mostly dance music and stuff, not ball room dancing.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 11:32:10 pm »
Allright just a little over ONE week to go! We are going to tally the counts on Sun the 23. Make sure you and your friends vote on this one, or the dance you want the most might not happen! *All will be fun options Im sure* So keep those votes comming!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :D
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 11:59:06 pm »
so in one week you will decide on what type of dance then make plans for it?

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 12:17:54 pm »
so in one week you will decide on what type of dance then make plans for it?

In a week ill send the results to Jaki, and then we will probably start making plans. After she makes the ultimate decision (she allready has some workings with the event space going) on date and theme Im sure it will be announced quickly to everyone!
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 02:36:19 pm »
sweet. I can't wait till the results come in ^_^