Author Topic: Parents, manga, and anime  (Read 7239 times)

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
Parents, manga, and anime
« on: October 24, 2008, 07:40:43 am »
Has anyone else dealt with the problem of buying anime or manga while their parents are around? A lot of parents don't know the general worth or price-range for specific manga and anime series, so when they know how much their children spend on it, they freak out. o.o Get's kind of annoying, and least in my opinion. For example, I just got the entire Sailor Moon manga series (18 manga) used for about $60. Now that series isn't so easy to find, and that's a great price on it. However, as usual, my mother completely freaked out that I was spending that on manga. X.X Anyone know what I'm saying? lol

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Parents, manga, and anime
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:40:05 am »
my parents don't care too much......mainly because they don't know. But they do know that it is about $10 for a new one. I don't buy too many anymore. just ones from two series when they come out. Loveless and Wild Adapter, those are the only ones I buy anymore.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:23:30 pm »
Well, show her how much it costs new.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:13:37 pm »
well I use to buy mine from borders all the time when I was getting paid everyone in a while. I'd have $90 and I'd buy like 9 books, maybe more depending on the price. my parents didn't really care as long as I had a hobby I guess. now I tend to ask for them as gifts instead so I don't have to worry buying them self. I usually let them borrow my borders card too or I tell them its easier and cheaper to get them off of amazon.com. a lot cheaper actually.

my dad doesn't really think it's that much considering he also reads(his books are usually 6 dollars a piece) and he buys tons of books usually spending 50 dollars worth. along with magazines too. but at least I'm not spending 20 bucks on a book.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 08:17:38 pm »
Honestly its just like any other hobby. If you were really into D&D you would be spending tons on books. If you were really into collecting movies you would spend 20-ish per movie. Parents just dont like to see there children "blow" their money on things they deem "not important". I understand both sides of this. I use to collect replica swords when I was in High School and my parents use to flip when I wanted to spend $150 on a piece of wall art. A lot of parents see manga as "comic books" and therefore you shouldnt spend so much on them.

If your parents are like mine were, there is little you can do. Just explain your passion and I would never keep it a secret. How much you spend of YOUR money is your busness, but if they ask I would let them know that that is you hobby (Like model cars or rockets) and its an expensive one that you would like to keep.
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:50 pm »
My dad totally supports my love for anime and manga, and he even thinks my shelves look really cool XD

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:07:21 pm »
My parents are like "...well, it's your money..."

And they always seem amazed that I have so *much* money. I don't spend nearly as much as they seem to think I do.

Offline Sukotto_79

• Cabbit
    • TheAnimeLoft
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:02:33 pm »
Anime and Manga can be a expensive hobby. I am almost 30 so I don't have to worry what my parents think about it. But, if its your money you should do what you want to do with it. But, just look at the stuff they probally *waste* money on. loL!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:58:15 am »
my mom was always into off beat, where anime isnt her thing she does understand it is our thing,
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:55:02 pm »
My mom buys manga for me. She says "Hey if you are reading I am fully support you"  ;D ;D I so lucky. Love you Mom
Cospaly                    Planed cosplay
Near                         Beat (TWEWY)                                                     Pocky Box                 James (Team Rocket)
Blackstar                   Kiba
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 08:21:23 pm »
My mom buys manga for me. She says "Hey if you are reading I am fully support you"  ;D ;D I so lucky. Love you Mom

that is the way to go to read

Offline Blackstar

• Chibi
    • DA Art
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 08:25:28 pm »
Well it good from me to read being dyslexic and all. It soo hard trying to read those confusing Japanese names.  ;D
Cospaly                    Planed cosplay
Near                         Beat (TWEWY)                                                     Pocky Box                 James (Team Rocket)
Blackstar                   Kiba
Soul
Toushiro Hitsugaya   
Jiraya

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:50 pm »
I am dyslexic too, it does make things hard at times

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 05:20:58 am »
I'm 23 so I really don't have a clue what my parents think about how much money I spend but I'm sure my mom would be a little weirded out at how much I've spent on anime/cosplay but it's just like any other hobby out there, as Deviant Spider said. I've probably spent close to $3000 on anime/cosplay just in the past 2-3 years..but that's a good thing about having a good paying job :P

I used to be really into paintball in high school and anyone who has played that seriously knows it is a very expensive hobby to have if you play a lot.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 06:45:15 am »
ya know for how much I obsess over anime and manga sometimes, and procrastinate on school work, they never say anything of the anime/manga. they just tell me to stay up on my grades. :/ for some reason they can't see that's the thing thats sort of distracting me...a lot.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 08:45:02 am »
i think my mom might wince a little if she knew how much i paid for my gackt collection

Offline little_miss_ururu

• Cabbit
    • Akari's Arsenic Pixie Sticks
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 03:25:59 am »
if it is a new series then we check out what the library has on hand to see if we like it.  then if we do i have no problem with him buying anime or manga.  my only thing is i draw the line at hentai.  he is just 9 and i gotta save something for those latter teen years. 
also i like adding to "our" manga collections.  since we both enjoy all the ones we read it is nice to have them on hand to read and read again and discuss them. 
so as long as the bills get paid and there is ramen and soy milk in the house to eat....time to go shoppin!!!!

cerridwen....who went to the book store at umajamaya (sp???) yesterday and spent waaaayyy too much!   ;D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 06:53:51 am »
I've never had the problem because I'm 22, and have been doing almost all of my anime buying online. I rarely buy anime in stores now because there is just no point. It always costs way more than it should.

And my mom just doesn't care about what I buy, doesn't really pay attention to it, trusts me to be responsible.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 07:54:05 am »
My mom never really cared because (most of the time) I was spending my own money. Also I'm sure she was glad that wasn't spending it on drugs or something so she couldn't really argue.

I hardly ever buy any anime or manga anymore because I am a poor college student. I just have to relay on my resources online.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 09:49:28 pm »
My parents dont mind as long as I use my own money to buy manga and anime. i Even tell them about some of the things I watch... sometimes... usually I would just vaguely tell them what its about or the genre. Like I told them about Higurashi XD but all I said really was that it was an animated Horror that teaches you the true meaning of friendship XD But yeah my parents trusts me on what I read and watch. : )
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:50:48 pm by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 11:25:26 pm »
I earn my money by WORKING. So, my parents have no say in what I buy unless it is hazardous to my health. LOL. Anime/Manga/Collections, most certainly are not--well, most of them.
And so it begins...

Offline Prince Nori

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 12:09:19 am »
My dad always gives me his borders coupons to buy manga :]
My parents love Miyazaki movies and enjoy watching some shows with me once in a while <3 awesome family spendin time!

There was this one time when my step dad picked up a yaoi manga I carelessly left laying on the kitchen counter lol he just saw the cover and said, "This doesn't look like a girl and a boy!" and then he just threw it over at me and I was sooo embarrassed XD
My step dad's a funny guy, and he knows I love gay men and doesn't really care that I do :P

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 02:16:03 pm »
I'm 18 and outta da house lol. But, my parents would flip if they knew about any of the things I like lol. I always kept it a secret from them XD. They think video games, anime, and just about anything not having to do with church or sports or other "normal" things are a waste of time or will send you to hell >_>
Makes me glad I live on my own ^_^
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 04:30:58 pm »
I'm 18 and outta da house lol. But, my parents would flip if they knew about any of the things I like lol. I always kept it a secret from them XD. They think video games, anime, and just about anything not having to do with church or sports or other "normal" things are a waste of time or will send you to hell >_>
Makes me glad I live on my own ^_^

Unfortunate viewpoint. I would hope they don't really think that about anime and the like. Perhaps they just see it as something that shouldn't take up the whole of your life (as what a church has to offer and represents could be seen as more important to a lot of people, your parents included).

But yes, it's always nice to be out on your own.  :)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Seluecos

• Bunnygirl
    • My Myspace Page ^_^
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 04:35:26 pm »
IDK lol. My parents and I never saw eye to eye XD
PS: We're still stalking each other! x_x
THE POWER OF COMMUNISM!

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 06:38:23 pm »
My parents don't really care.
My dad sometimes thinks its a waste of money, yeah, but its not a huge deal.

Eh, sometimes I have to usher my mom to the magazine stands at Powells while I go to the manga aisle. One time I picked up a volume of Erementar Gerad to buy with Kuea on it (was it 6?), and my mom did a double take.
Kuea isn't the most modest girl XD

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 04:57:56 pm »
Mom lets me watch certain... X rated anime... with her none the less too... Awakward you say? No not really just funny... My step dad on the other hand.. we won't go there... >> I buy my manga my self. I've been getting them at Uwajimaya cause they're cheaper in japanese than in english >D
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline seshetaxhikaru

• Sailor Scout
    • my random blog- Life Affairs
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 12:01:35 am »
As a Parent myself, I have no problem buying manga for my daughter. Of course I censor them first, as she's 4 and doesnt need to see the adult side of things just yet. But She loves  Kingdom Hearts, Warrior, Tinkerbell and a few others to death. And I dont mind it at all. It helps promote reading, which in turn will help her build a larger vocabulary and teach her to read bigger words. Plus its something we have in common; which I feel will help to build a better bond in the coming troublesome years of her youth. 

Heres a few ideas outside of buying EVERY volume from borders/barnes & Noble (to help cut down on cost for those of you with pickier parents):

I belong to animetakeout (dot) com, which for those who don't know, its basically like blockbuster online but with anime and manga. I LOVE it! They have a very wide range of manga/anime to chose from. But you do have to be careful because some of them aren't marked and are yaoi/yuri.

Also, tokyopop does online free manga reading on their site every month. As well as preview reading for new books coming out. So you can get an idea of rather you want to purchase the book or not, without having to spend the moolah first.

And lastly, there are a few sites on the web where you can read manga for a low monthly price or just for free. But I would like to go on the record of saying that, though these sites are wonderful, you do not support the authors of the series by not purchasing the books and reading them online. And without the authors, we wouldnt have the manga that we all so love. That said, sometimes when your broke, you still need a manga fix. ^-~
I'd rather be a first rate me, than a second rate someone else.