Author Topic: Operation get in shape for Sakuracon Underway!  (Read 83261 times)

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Operation get in shape for Sakuracon Underway!
« on: September 26, 2008, 01:03:15 pm »
So yeah I've been busting my ass working out and trying really hard to eat better.(I love sweets!) but I need to change my body. I don't really care about weight but I have way too much body fat right now.
 To solve this I got a Bowflex machine, spending the money on that is a huge motivation to use it, I do cardio in our apartments tiny gym and I drink tons of water, even at restaurants(no seriously tons of water, so much water)
 The goal is to be in really good shape to cosplay some pretty popular characters, I feel like if I'm all flabby it'll be a disservice to them.
 Are some of the Characters I want to do

So cheer me on! And I'll try to post updates.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:07:11 pm by BigGuy »
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Operation get in shape for Sakuracon Underway!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:21:25 pm »
Go Beau!!!
Careful that there is such a thing as too much water too fast. No really. You can throw off your electrolytes. If you start getting lightheaded or whatnot. Eat some salt. Really.
Other low-cal low-fat items good for electrolytes: Bananas have a lot of potassium and can be really filling. Dark green leaves are good for example swiss chard, which is beet greens.....Post pix when your costumes are ready!
Love you!
Rem.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »
That's cool.  I'm currently trying to bulk up (add muscle mass) which will entail putting on a small amount of fat in the process.  For instance, for breakfast I eat 4 eggs, 1 bowl of oatmeal (1/2 or 3/4 cup, I never measure out exactly), a piece of fruit, sometimes a slice of cheese.

I'm also following this workout routine http://dontclickme.info/abbh.gif

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »
good luck! ^o^ I'm dieting and working out to so that I can have the right body for Rosette Christopher.... she has a small waiste but some decent muscles >.> not like buff girl muscles but shes strong. that and I need to be strong for Levi because I need to be able to carry my hammer around all con.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:45:59 pm »
I'm working out occasionaly too. But diet..No way. Diet means no cake, and that would be torture.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 01:48:17 pm »
its not so much a diet as watching apitite and hunger. I'm paying more attention to when I'm full and only eating when I'm really hungry!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 01:49:29 pm »
Good luck, Big Guy! You'll make a great Fuhrer/Pride, I'm excited to see that one. I'm also working out, still, heh. I need to get in better shape for my Azul and Angeal (I'm planning to cosplay him too). I am mainly lifting lots of weights, but I'm also trying to cut down on my calorie-intake and do more cardio/elliptical.

It's rough, but good luck!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 02:06:57 pm »
Yeah need abs for Albel >_> I was doing good for a while but I stopped...need to get back in the routine of that. I guess if I start now I will have a VERY nice stomach by Sakuracon ^_^

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:57:33 pm »
wow, that's a lot of response! Thanks everyone.
 Eve, are you gonna be regular Angeal or one of his later forms?
There's a body ball at my moms that I should start doing ab work on.
 I'm not drinking enough water to throw off my chemistry, if I remember that would take more than a gallon of water in a really short time.
I just try to make myself drink water instead of eating when I don't need to.
 Sounds like lots of others are in the same boat as me. If cosplay motivates people to get healthy that's awesome.
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 06:00:11 pm »
While we are all working out, we can think about how amazing our cosplay will be. Then we can up date each other on how fit we've gotten. Bwaha. >:3

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:17:12 pm »
heres my tip, I play anime while I walk or jog on my tredmil. Like I'll walk/fastwalk while playing KH and I spead up the pace when I'm just walking around and in a battle I slow it down a bit to cocentrate. You burn calories but your to busy focusing on the game you can spend hours before you start to get very tired!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:20:13 pm »
wow, that's a lot of response! Thanks everyone.
 Eve, are you gonna be regular Angeal or one of his later forms?
There's a body ball at my moms that I should start doing ab work on.
 I'm not drinking enough water to throw off my chemistry, if I remember that would take more than a gallon of water in a really short time.
I just try to make myself drink water instead of eating when I don't need to.
 Sounds like lots of others are in the same boat as me. If cosplay motivates people to get healthy that's awesome.

I'm aiming to do the regular version. A one-wing addition would be cool, but I'm gonna have enough big props to worry about without the addition of that one, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:22:07 pm »
@ Queen: That's a really good idea. Except I dont have a treadmil. I like to watch anime or listen to music while I do crunches. That way I get abs, and I'm not bored. =)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 06:23:57 pm »
for me I have to be distracted so I dont realize how tired I am so I keep going :3 I'll watch anime or TV sometimes but ussualy I'm playing FF or KH

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 06:25:18 pm »
Oooh, another good way to get in shape, is to do the Hare Hare Yukai over and over. I've been trying to learn it lately. =D

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 06:26:55 pm »
._. hm good idea.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:03 pm »
or play DDR everyday.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:37 pm »
I would but I lost my DDR TT_TT

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Raiphin Cosplay Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 08:56:30 pm »
hahahah....crunches. Those things I should be doing. I used to enjoy doing them to anime because you had to make it back up if you were going to read the subtitles in time!

Someday.....in my mind....I will drag my boyfriend to Sakuracon and make him go as Irresponsible Captain Tyler. And I will cosplay with him, as: http://infohost.nmt.edu/~anime/azalyn/azalyngall.html

scroll down until you see BELLY and you'll know....I need IMPECCABLE abs to pull that off. And a lot of dress tape.
And nice gams. At least I have pretty OK gams to start out with.

~Raiphin~
facebook.com/RaiphinCosplay

Upcoming Cons: GGC, Akicon, Sakuracon
Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 08:59:58 pm »
bah, it's Wrath, not Pride! XD
*may be going as Pride!Ed from FMA fangame BBI*
KumoriCon 2012

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »
I may do my crunches now >_> get started at least.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 10:00:01 pm »
I'd really like to cosplay as Scar from FMA.  But I'll need some really nice biceps to pull that off. :P  It might throw off my Chi cosplay a lil' bit though. :(

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 10:03:15 pm »
only a little XD

Did my crunches for the day ^_^

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 10:12:20 pm »
Have you considered throwing push-ups into the mix?  There's a wide variety of methods (decline, regular, wide, diamond, shoulder press) that you can use.  It's a great exercise because it works many muscles at once.

http://hundredpushups.com/ has a schedule you can follow so that one day you can do 100 push-ups! (I probably max out at 25-30 if I tried my hardest, but usually stop around 20 or so.)

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 10:21:04 pm »
Yeah I could do some pushups....but I hate them so...

plus once classes start I have a soccer class that makes me do them before we get started x.x

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 10:53:18 pm »
So here are my tips for weight loss

- Be sure you drink adequate amounts of water (varies depending on your activity level and body)
- Take a daily vitamin (not the "best" way of getting all your vitamins but probably better than nothing)
- Have a big breakfast.  I actually lost some fat when I started adding calories to my diet because I increased the size of my breakfast. In fact, breakfast should be the biggest meal of your day in terms of calories.  It will jump start your metabolism for the day.  If you don't eat breakfast, then START!!
- Weight lifting burns a ton of calories.  Compound movements like squats, dead lifts, lunges, dips, pull-ups will burn the most calories.  Of course unless you have a gym membership, you might have difficulty doing some of these.  However, you can still actually do some of them at home with dumbbells.  In fact, I recommend this guy's YouTube for home workouts and a few meal ideas.
- Real cardio for 30 minutes 3 times a week.  If you're not elevating your heart rate and getting a little perspired then you're probably not going to get the same benefit.  Also, even simple stuff like taking the stairs and parking further away adds up.  You're not going to lose a ton of weight, but every little bit helps!
- Examine your sodium intake!  If you eat a lot of stuff from boxes or cans (or ramen hehe), then you're probably ingesting huge amounts of sodium.  Try to cut back.
- Don't go shopping when you're hungry.  ^_^;  You'll come back with half the store.  ^_^;;;
- While we're on the topic of the store, stick to the perimeter of the store: that's where all the fresh stuff usually is.  You know, dairy, produce, meat, etc.
- Reduce portion sizes.  Eat more vegetables with your meal and cut your meat portion down.  Eat 5-6 medium "meals" a day if you can, instead of 2 or 3 huge meals.  (Depending on your calorie needs, a "meal" could be only a few hundred calories.  A serving of nuts can easily fill a portion of that.  Or a slice of cheese and an apple.)
- Don't spend time obsessing over the weight scale.  If you really want to measure fat loss, get a set of calipers.  Some stores sell them but you can also buy them at www.bodybuilding.com.  It's ok to weigh yourself, but do it every week or so.  Make sure you measure yourself under the same circumstances every time.  For instance I always weigh myself first thing in the morning before I've had anything to eat or drink.
- This is something my doctor recommended.  If you feel like you're not getting full enough when you eat, drink a glass of Metamucil before you eat your meal.  The fiber will be very filling.
- That brings me to another thing .. eat lots of fruits and veggies.  Wait, I kind of mentioned that earlier.  OK, make sure you eat food with lots of fiber.
- When you buy something at the store, check the nutritional information.  How much fiber is in it?  How much sugar?  Saturated fat?  How big is a serving?  What percent of your calories will eating it take up?  Is it worth it to use 1/4th of your calories for the day to eat a big donut?

REMEMBER always be sure to check the instructions on anything you'll be taking like vitamins of fiber supplements (Metamucil).  You don't want to exceed their recommendations and get yourself sick!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:20:58 am by reppy »

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 09:04:20 pm »
Push Ups are almost impossible for me. I can do like Ten, and then I'm done. I refer crunches over everything, or DDR. >.<

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 09:10:22 pm »
I Just Walk Around My Town Like Everyday x-x (one mile long town) About 3 Times A Day Or So Then At Night I Go To The Park >w> Thats It XD
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 10:12:46 pm »
Yeah I can't do push ups very well....all my muscle is in my legs *is a soccer player* so I don't need strong arms >_>

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 11:44:39 am »
gambattene!!!

you can do it,

also speaking as some one whose lost weight before, you might want to get some skin products to kep your skin toned after losing weight
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

oslapedo

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 11:46:25 am »
I will probably work out as well, if only for the fact that I may do bunny girl!Kyonko :D

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 12:45:50 pm »
xD yay for getting in shape!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 12:49:15 pm »
Alright I will start cardio 4 days a week.....two out of the four will also include weights (the other two days will be my soccer class XD) and I am hoping to be at 125lbs for Sakuracon (thats only five pounds....I can do it)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 02:17:18 pm »
I'm sure you can ^o^ >.> I'm intending to get down to about 110 with some nice abb muscles...

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 02:23:09 pm »
well since I'm lifting I'm really interested in moving the weight on my body from fat to muscle. Remember: muscle weighs more than fat. if you lift expect to gain some weight as you put on muscle, but those muscles will need calories to work, that's when you start burning fat and losing weight.
 When I was taking aerobic classes the teacher said the best workout was one combining lifting with cardio.
 Anyway good luck to everyone and don't get discouraged if you hit a wall and don't see any improvement for a while, just keep it up!
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline KinkyFriedChicken

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 02:26:50 pm »
*puts in old tibo tapes* XD Now Punch And Punch And Lift And Kick And Kick XD
~Sakuracon 2016

Furiosa [Mad Max:Fury Road]
Fenris [Dragon Age 2]
Modern Day!Fenris [Dragon Age 2]

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2008, 02:47:18 pm »
gar I wanna get better so I can get on my tredmill and play FF while I walk TT_TT

Offline GwarNekoChan

• Catgirl
    • My facebook! o3o
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2008, 03:38:30 pm »
Hah! Funny! Iv'e been trying to get in shape too! =D Iv'e been cutting my portions of foods, and iv'e been trying to drink tons of water too. x3 Im trying to Cosplay as Simon from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and he's really skinny! >> Or Hanyuu Furude, from Higurashi no Naku koro Ni kai. and She's also skinny~ Im thinking about going to Sakuracon, but im not so sure yet.
Kumoricon 2013 was cancelled for me. Can't await for next year! Cosplay list will arrive soon.

oslapedo

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2008, 07:28:46 pm »
I don't have a target weight, I just want to get in better shape xD

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2008, 11:00:17 pm »
Awesome!! I'm trying to tone down my belly pudge. It needs to like... VANISH so I won't be embarrassed to pursue my FFX-2 Rikku cosplay idea. *thinks* I should probably tan some too while the sun is still out. Or....*le gasp* Fake and bake.

Well, I guess that just means good luck to us both!
This is my life. These are my choices.

oslapedo

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 11:09:14 pm »
Yes, good luck indeed! I'm so lazy though... I guess I'll just play the crap out of DDR XD

I tan easily though, but I'm not sure if that's even a good thing since all the characters I'm cosplaying as are pale x3

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 11:10:53 pm »
I thought of doing DDR.  but my dance pad sucks.  haven't really pay attention to my health though lately.

oslapedo

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 11:25:15 pm »
Me neither, I've been totally pigging out whenever I go to my friend's houses XD I've consumed more doughnuts and pizza this weekend that is humanly fathomable...

Offline K-Rock-InC

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 11:26:31 pm »
DDR is the only thing i can play on my PS2 since my rabbit chewed my controllers to bits.  :'(
This is my life. These are my choices.

oslapedo

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2008, 11:27:50 pm »
Aw that's poopy. We just use a bunch of old PS1 controllers for our PS2 XD

I really want to get Wii Fit, it looks so fun!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 11:28:03 pm »
in my case, I have no job, so I have too much free time, but no money to really do anything.  the boredom has at various times made me quite depressed and moody

oslapedo

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2008, 11:31:12 pm »
Go outside and walk around! That's what I do when I'm tremendously bored!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2008, 11:34:21 pm »
maybe.  though lonliness may also be a part of it.

sometimes I make soda runs to 7 elevens.  its about 15 minute walk to there.

oslapedo

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:07 am »
You should maybe go to a gym and make a new excercise buddy :)

I'll be working out at the YMCA tomorrow with my friend Kristee after school, so woot? xD

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 12:19:57 am »
I dun have money for gyms.