Author Topic: Wanna Start a Doujinshi Group?  (Read 64763 times)

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
Wanna Start a Doujinshi Group?
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:20:57 pm »
I was thinking about starting a Doujinshi Manga group for artists.

I'm sure many of you know about Doujinshi, which are basically fan manga of existing series and characters or original self-published manga/comics... If you've seen the anime Comic Party... It's  a story that revolves around doujinshi conventions. They can be really rudimentary and not very-well drawn because their "fan manga" or some have the same quality of artwork and story as a published manga. For more information on Doujinshi check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doujinshi

I was thinking we could meet once a month (because drawing comics takes time when you are working 40 hours a week), somewhere in the Portland/Metro Area... I would like to find a central location that has good access to either public transportation or is close to the majority of people interested so travel expenses are minimized for all involved. Because of the "Citrus" nature of some doujinshi manga the group has to be 18 and over.

My idea for the group is  to have a group that offers positive critiques as a requisite and then constructive criticism only when requested by the artist. The ultimate goal is to positively support each other on our goal to create our doujnshi. Other activities could include analyzing the artwork techniques or story techniques of your favorite mangas.  Also, we can research and teach each other different aspects of Doujinshi and self-publishing. The ultimate goal will be to print our own work and trade each other our doujinshi(just like Japanese doujinshi artists do!) and distribute them to the fandoms en generale(will discuss this in more detail later)

If interested, respond here with the best time to gather and your location(no addresses for safety sake, just your general vicinity) or PM me.

Stuff I would personally like to avoid:
Single-Sheet Fan Art... stuff that is non-sequential is okay and welcome but this group should be about discussing sequential art...how panels are placed on the page...timing...dialog...technique and the like.

Writers...people who are only writers are great...but...you should draw what you can.. there are plenty of writer gatherings, events, websites and the like...i think the exception may be for a writer/artist duo that is already working together. This can be debated...but I don't want a flurry of writers stalking a talented an unwilling artist for her/his abilities. Remember, if you can draw Naruto stick-figures you can make a doujinshi...what matter's is that the manga achieves what its creator is going for. :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:18:45 am by Oniyukai »

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: Wanna Start a Doujinshi Group?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:24 am »
Hmm, interesting.... (in a good way)

Did you have any story/series in mind or is it just whatever series the artists like or original stories?

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:56:30 am »
I have a story I'd like to see made into a doujinshi, but I can't draw so should I just email it to you? The characters have limited screen time, so they'd be easy to cover.

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:18:11 am »
Hmm, interesting.... (in a good way)

Did you have any story/series in mind or is it just whatever series the artists like or original stories?

Well, doujinshi circles are either one person like Koji Rikuto or they're a group like Clamp Cluster so I guess the answer is yes to both.

I guess if consistency in style can kind of be maintained or if one person has something they excel at (like I 'm  good at backgrounds). If some artists want to work together on a series or a story/arc, slash or cross over that would be more than fine. Original stuff is fine too...that would be covering the "self-publishing" side of the doujinshi...the point is to get together show eachother our work...and make ourselves the best artists the best artist we can be and then print our doujinshi zine-style.

I have a story I'd like to see made into a doujinshi, but I can't draw so should I just email it to you? The characters have limited screen time, so they'd be easy to cover.

If you have something written you would like to turn into a doujinshi...I suppose the best compromise would be to write it in a comic script format or go ahead and draw the panels and write the words; just don't take it personally if no one wants to draw it. I'm not looking to turn this into a fan-fic gathering. However, picture book versions of a fanfic would be acceptable because it is sequential and discussion can be had about art and words combined. This is primarily to be a an art-writing critique not a writing critique... I'd like to avoid readings. Again, there are writers groups out there for writing critiques.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:25:35 am by Oniyukai »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:00:28 am »
I would like to offer (though I live in Eugene and am an event coordinator, not an illustrator):
(a) If you succeed in coalescing as a group that creates Doujinshi, if you want a meet-up time at the Con, I will ask Kasa, our Fan Art Coordinator, to allocate time in our schedule at Creation Station.
(b) I will also ask Kasa and our future Fanfic Coordinator (not yet assigned) to advertise that Doujinshi will be eagerly accepted as entries in both our Fanfic / Manga / Webcomic contest, and our Copic-sponsored Onsite Mini-Manga contest.
(c) If someone gets to the point that they are seeking publication for their Doujinshi, and they want someone to Beta their storyboarding (*and* they are *not* submitting their Doujinshi for our Kumoricon contests, as that would be conflict-of-interest), feel free to PM me as a potential Beta for you.

Best wishes!
Rem
Fan Creation Manager
KC '08 and hopefully KC '09 (pending elections).
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 08:14:20 pm »
Groovy, Rem.  I will make a note of that. Thanks!

Negima, I do have my original stuff... but if this evolves into a group project...as far as any ideas for a series I had. I was thinking of an FLCL continuation or a Faye(CowboyBebop)/Naota(FLCL) naota bounty hunt for Haruko and Faye replaces Haruko as the mother/sister/girlfriend figure and Mamimi stows away on the ship to get photographs(then it can go really nuts from there). But that's just off the top of my head...so what-evas.

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:22:48 pm »
I've always wanted to make doujinshi, problem is making them conflicts with my time with personal projects.  And my own comics.

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 10:08:12 pm »
I've always wanted to make doujinshi, problem is making them conflicts with my time with personal projects.  And my own comics.

Well, that would be a reason to meet up  monthly...if you started making something for fun you could do a page or two a month... you know, for those times when you get artists block or whatever. The point of having monthly meetings is so we could show stuff off and talk about it and learn what an artists is doing right--and if an artist is in the mood,  what may need improvement. If you're self-publishing your own work or if your published and stopping-in, it's all good. I just think it would be cool to adds some some doujinshi groups to the Portland Indie-comics scene.

I hope I'm not talking this post to death.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:14:06 pm by Oniyukai »

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:39 am »
Hiya,

I am going to post this here as a sort of, 'hey we are out here' kind of post.  Like Rem I am based in Eugene, so trying to attend a circle up in Portland could be troublesome.  I am not the artist in the family, so this isn't really my area.  I am letting you know about my wife, Shelley,  who is the artist.  She doesn't do doujinshi, per se, but comics and web-comics.  She is a published artist, mainly specializing in anthro (furry) art.  Think Warner Brothers.  Anyway, she is flexible, and has done commision work of other peoples stories as comic panels.  Here is a link to her site with examples of her work.  All four magazine covers are hers.

http://spleger.home.comcast.net/~spleger/Comix.htm

I am putting this here for those who can't draw, but want to tell their story and are willing to pay someone else to draw it for them.  I won't gaurantee that my wife will take on the commision.  A lot of it depends on the subject matter.  She can draw non anthro stuff.  She isn't a fan of ero or H stuff.  Yuri and yaoi may be OK if mild in nature.  She has worked on Shanda the Panda, and that is a bit of both.

On the other side of the coin, If you want a critic who is published and knows something about layout and publishing, and making sure the print comes out as you want it to.  Or, you have questions on Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter, or converting your written work to digital format.  She can help with that as well.  Here is her E-Mail  catsdontdance@comcast.net

I would suggest an online site for your Doujinshi Group to meet and chat.  Shelley, my wife, has a Cats Don't Dance group on Yahoo that she moderates and meets with monthly.  Oniyukai, you may want to look into starting your own group on Yahoo.  It's free.

There is also Deviant Art as a place to distribute your work and get criticizm.  Not always favorable.  Shelley has a page there as well.  A great place for artisits to display their talents, see other peoples work, and do a bit of networking.
http://eazilyamewzed.deviantart.com/

If you just want someone to critique your work.  I am a pro at that.   ;D

In any case.  I wish you all well on your endevours.  The telling of a story.  The bringing to life of someones vision as pictures.  That has always been what I love the most.  My fascination with anime has always been the art and the story.  So, to you the next generation of artisits and storytellers, DO YOUR BEST, FIGHT ON, GANBARE!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:38:02 am by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 03:57:59 pm »
Aww personally I'd love to do this but being in Eugene is a pain in the butt. I already commute to con meetings when I can and my job makes it almost impossible to commute more than that. Good luck getting a good group together though! This seems like it could be a really fun project as well as a learning experience for those who join!

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:06:03 pm »
Heh, I'd do it! ^^
Unfortunately, most of your doujinshi-ka are probably out of Portland. Now if you wanna move your venture up toward Tacoma....?

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:44:20 pm »

Well, that would be a reason to meet up  monthly...if you started making something for fun you could do a page or two a month... you know, for those times when you get artists block or whatever. The point of having monthly meetings is so we could show stuff off and talk about it and learn what an artists is doing right--and if an artist is in the mood,  what may need improvement. If you're self-publishing your own work or if your published and stopping-in, it's all good. I just think it would be cool to adds some some doujinshi groups to the Portland Indie-comics scene.

My other main problem is, I'm near Seattle, WA. 

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 07:45:24 pm »
Commutes are out of the question for me for at least a year.

(Aloha from Hawaii)

Quote from: Oniyukai
You're not.  Don't worry.
Actually this is kinda nice seeing everyone's ideas and suggestions on what to do and possible groups.

I have a deviantart site too.  I'm slowly trying to break into comics by auditioning for tournaments.  (Helpful) criticizism would be greatly appreciated.
http://wandering-ronin.deviantart.com/

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 08:20:18 pm »
Unfortunately, you can't tell that I'm getting better because I never update
my dA

I'm getting pressured into starting a series, but being in a group would be great, too. I'm also $1.50 away from Seattle ^^
http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk288/ruinedmirage/?action=view&current=materialist.jpg

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 08:47:39 pm »
I have a deviantart site too.  I'm slowly trying to break into comics by auditioning for tournaments.  (Helpful) criticizism would be greatly appreciated.

Negima,
  I'll PM-you some useful crits so this thread will stay on-topic for the time being.

So it seems that the interest in this is currently beyond Portland, but still in the Northwest or the very very West...so this might end up as an online project, which is fine. So we'll see how many more artists may want to join in. As far as any ideas for doing this online... I guess we could set up a private forum to house our art critiques and upload our pages, and pass work off to each other...(if there's a group project going on) (so the KCON forum doesn't get overtly spammed) and there's a really good free screenwriting/comic-book writing program called Celtx. that automatically formats the pages in a proper screenplay/comic/other stuff formatting as your typing it and lets you save them as PDFs.  For story collaborations and potential beta approval a group wiki might be the best way of handling that because it allows for real time editing and markups. The only reason I'm stressing privacy is that I would like to keep story-lines and artwork out of public scrutiny until a doujinshi is ready for distribution. (sorry to sound so technical on that last sentence). So let me know how you think this would fair. If anyone has any ideas for doing this...I'm open to any ideas.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 08:52:40 pm by Oniyukai »

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 09:05:29 pm »
Hi!

I'm in the Beaverton/ Tigard area and would be interested. I've had so many ideas for doujin and original comics that just lost their steam because I became uninterested...

The funny thing is I just started another of these random ideas last night. ^__^;; (a kind of post x/1999 thing, based around Subaru & Seishirou's relationship...)

But yeah a group would be an awesome thing! It might even keep me focused on one topic.

Personally I work during the week until 6...and I will be going to school starting winter term. But for right now weekends are great for me.

If you'd like examples, I can send you a few links later...after I scan in some newer stuff. I haven't done a whole lot of sequential stuff, but I have a few old examples of that.
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 10:47:19 pm »
Is there any guide to writing in comic book outline format?

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 08:15:20 am »

Dark Horse's Style Guide is a really good format for this. You can find it here.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 06:40:21 pm »
Woot, if this really ends up as an online project I'd absolutely love to join (woohoo for no extra trips)! n.n

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:03:44 pm »
Well, since we are a little spread out (and the cost of travel is what it is). The most prudent course of action would be to do this online...and as things  progress... we can plan con and event meet-ups and distribute Doujinshi in the artist alleys and stuff...it'll be fun!

In fact, I built an online forum for those who want to do this:

http://hokuseishuukai.proboards101.com

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:09:54 pm by Oniyukai »

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 09:08:15 pm »
Ever since I saw Comic Party (one of my favorite anime series BTW), I've been wanting to try my hand at doujinshi.  :D 
Sakuracon 2014
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 12:45:14 am »
Ever since I saw Comic Party (one of my favorite anime series BTW), I've been wanting to try my hand at doujinshi.  :D 

You should totally try... one of the cool things about it is you can do with it what ever you want... If you wanted to take fan-fic and bind it with a cover you drew for one print run and then do a full comic for another... you can. 

It should be noted...that the additional forums at the doujinshi site won't appear until you folks become members... let me know if any of the forum categories are missing (there should be 11 categories). Only three are available to the public without becoming members.

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 03:18:30 am »
I was actually going to promote my forum that you guys could use to talk more about the doujinshi, but yeah, I see you already made one.  Heh, but feel free to join it anyways, could use artists, writers, and general fans of anime/manga:

http://itadaki.freeforums.org/index.php

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 08:36:11 pm »
Thanks for the offer chevi its all good. Things are starting to role a tiny bit...I hope more people join and post stuff to critique...also I'm planning on doing a tutorial on inking, digital inking, open-source software and  alternatives to the uber spendy programs.

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 09:26:59 pm »

Dark Horse's Style Guide is a really good format for this. You can find it here.

Thanks for posting this, Oniyukai.  It is REALLY helpful.

...and I've started writing a script for my first project. :D  Basically, a condensed version of a Sailor Moon continuation that a friend of mine and I thought up long ago.
Sakuracon 2014

Kumoricon
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 10:22:42 pm »

Thanks for posting this, Oniyukai.  It is REALLY helpful.

...and I've started writing a script for my first project. :D  Basically, a condensed version of a Sailor Moon continuation that a friend of mine and I thought up long ago.

Glad to Help. Awesome!Sailor Moon brought me back into anime after Robotech was cancelled in the 80s!  I'm working on a script for a Tenchi/Girls-from-Horror-Manga-shi. I created a thread for research and character sketches at the Hokusei forum... so we can debate whether our parodies look like the characters from original series.

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 07:49:57 pm »
Hi all,
   I made a suggestion at the Northwest Doujinshi Cluster for a group project. I'm also going to make all of the member forums viewable by the public to get people interested in what we're doing and to grow our fledgling community a little bit. Writer's looking to join the discussions or post links to their fan fiction can do so...and can post links to their Doujinshi scripts if they want a critique.  We're still getting things rolling...and I prefer to spend my free time drawing than moderating forums; so if anyone wants to help moderate the forum(when you  can or want to), I'd be grateful for the help. Let me know what you think of the group project idea and if you think you or anyone can help.

Peace.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 02:53:45 pm »
Thanks for the offer chevi its all good. Things are starting to role a tiny bit...I hope more people join and post stuff to critique...also I'm planning on doing a tutorial on inking, digital inking, open-source software and  alternatives to the uber spendy programs.

What do you know about GIMP?  I know they have it for Windows now.  I played with it years ago on a Linux OS.  I know it has a lot of the same features as Adobe Photoshop, but has one major advantage over it.  It's FREE.   ;D

I have never used it myself, so I would like to hear from anyone who has.

Also, my wife may have some links around here, to some 'how to' forums on Inking, especially the digital kind.  I'll post them if I can find them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:23:44 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 08:19:58 pm »
Since it turns out that I'm just going to be doing the writing for the project I'm working on,  I'm up for drawing for someone if they need/want it.
Sakuracon 2014

Kumoricon
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 09:20:11 pm »
Hm... I have a fanfic I'm re-writing for submission to the con next year... maybe someone would like to illustrate it? XD It's an FMA fanfic about the history of Alchemy and the Philosopher's Stone. AlxWinry, RoyxRiza, EdxOC, and Greed!LingxRanFan are the only pairings I've come up with yet. (Kill me over EdxOC if you must >.> I just can't see him with Winry no matter how hard I try... and I honestly think Al's better with her. And the girl is kind of essential to the storyline, though I'm trying my hardest to make her appear to be the least bit mary-sue as possible. XD)
It is mainly manga-based, but also has a few small influences from the videogames(mostly Broken Angel and BBI) and a bit of the anime. Though the vast majority is manga.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 10:39:35 am »
Hi!

I'm in the Beaverton/ Tigard area and would be interested. I've had so many ideas for doujin and original comics that just lost their steam because I became uninterested...

The funny thing is I just started another of these random ideas last night. ^__^;; (a kind of post x/1999 thing, based around Subaru & Seishirou's relationship...)

But yeah a group would be an awesome thing! It might even keep me focused on one topic.

Personally I work during the week until 6...and I will be going to school starting winter term. But for right now weekends are great for me.

If you'd like examples, I can send you a few links later...after I scan in some newer stuff. I haven't done a whole lot of sequential stuff, but I have a few old examples of that.

Seishirou is dead . . . how would you go about making that?  Also, X is, as of yet, incomplete with only part of 19 released.  Were you thinking a sort of "What you don't see" DURING the X storyline?
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 08:26:12 pm »
Well, I'm personally a sucker the good old reincarnation/ previous lives thing...there's an older X fic out there that is a pretty good reincarnation fic, so I admit I got the idea from that.

But mainly I got this idea from a conversation I had with some friends about past lives and what they remembered of them. So it would be a reincarnation/ behind the scenes sort of thing.

And yes...its sad that X isn't finished, though CLAMP is talking about picking it back up soon...ish.
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 10:32:14 pm »
They'll have to release it doujinshi style (self-published) or find another publisher, though, and another publisher will want to rerun the entire series.

Asuka dropped it.  T_T 

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 02:20:23 pm »
So, I met with my partner in crime last night (Multipass on the doujinshi forum) and after many, MANY attempts, we realized that it's going to take a bit for her to relearn how to draw Sailor Moon style.  So, our new first project is going to be a World of Warcraft book based on the  misadventures of our characters.
Sakuracon 2014

Kumoricon
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 09:50:54 pm »
Why would she need to copy Sailor Moon's style?  Do something with some original flair, or you'll just look like a copycat and it will  be less interesting.

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 08:10:31 pm »
So, I met with my partner in crime last night (Multipass on the doujinshi forum) and after many, MANY attempts, we realized that it's going to take a bit for her to relearn how to draw Sailor Moon style.  So, our new first project is going to be a World of Warcraft book based on the  misadventures of our characters.

It's all good...I'm glad you guys are working together on a project. Keep us posted on its status, I'm gonna start a "Project Status" thread on the doujinshi forum so we can discuss how we're progressing with our various sequential art projects. I imagine that there are a lot of doujinshi in japan that are about video games...(Thinks about writing a guilty gear comic). Also, I made posted a doujinshi paper template in non-photo blue on the forum so you guys don't have to waste time manually ruling lines.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 03:20:09 am by Oniyukai »

Offline Multipass

• Cabbit
    • Multi's Deviantart
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 03:43:52 pm »
Why would she need to copy Sailor Moon's style?  Do something with some original flair, or you'll just look like a copycat and it will  be less interesting.

Heya, I'm the artist in question. The big reason isn't Sailor Moon -style-, but rather anime style period. I want to take a practice break and get my style headed in a direction that is more anime-y to make it more accessible to the anime audience, as in fan creations like this there is a definite bias for art styles that are more along the lines of what people consider standard anime style rather then someone's random ass style. Nothing wrong with that, but it is just how a lot of fans are. It won't be copying anyone's style by any means, I literally can't do that. It's just rediscovering my own take on the anime style.

I'm just afraid that if we plunge along with the original idea my style wouldn't be quite anime-y enough to catch people's interest, hence why I want to take a break and work on something a little more open to style interpretations while I get things figured out again.

:)

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 04:47:27 pm »
Well, different characteristics of anime/manga appeal to different people, and I really have no idea what the general public likes.
Personally, I really don't care much for chibis.

Offline Multipass

• Cabbit
    • Multi's Deviantart
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 04:51:01 pm »
Well, different characteristics of anime/manga appeal to different people, and I really have no idea what the general public likes.
Personally, I really don't care much for chibis.

From what I have seen in my years in different art circles, the general anime populous does like something remotely anime styled. Once again, not a bad thing. I understand the appeal of the style completely (I'm a fan myself!) but part of being successful is understanding your audience, or trying too :D!

Offline hotfuzzrules

• Oni
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 10:35:19 pm »
i would love to join the group but i'm only 14 T-T maybe in four years ^^

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2008, 05:23:42 am »
Hey, don't worry! Adult age in Japan is only 14 or something, isn't it? XD

Offline hotfuzzrules

• Oni
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2008, 09:42:50 am »
Hey, don't worry! Adult age in Japan is only 14 or something, isn't it? XD
realy? wow XD i wanna go live there heheh *3*

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2008, 03:48:56 pm »

I was thinking we could meet once a month (because drawing comics takes time when you are working 40 hours a week), somewhere in the Portland/Metro Area... I would like to find a central location that has good access to either public transportation or is close to the majority of people interested so travel expenses are minimized for all involved. Because of the "Citrus" nature of some doujinshi manga the group has to be 18 and over.

I hate to quote myself...and while I, personally, wouldn't care having a 14 year-old in the group...the law is very clear....we can't have people under age in the group if we're going to get naughty...or write stories about sexual identity issues. I'm sorry about that. If anyone underage signs up...I will have to ban them it's nothing personal or we could be liable for abusing a minor...I hope people understand...we either have to not be perverted....or we have to be over 18...and I love being perverted...so no kids...sorry.