Author Topic: Suggestions 09  (Read 16425 times)

Offline orochimarufangirl

• Sailor Scout
Suggestions 09
« on: September 14, 2008, 04:07:12 pm »
Hi, I wanted to give a suggestion for 09 Guest. Others can do the same. And I know it will probaly be moved or a new one will be posted but for the time being...

I would really love, to see Crispin Freeman, and maybe other Hellsing voice actors. Since there were so many Hellsing cosplayers in 08.

Which was really fun I might add. Any one have any other suggestions for a guest, or maybe something else?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:09:00 pm by orochimarufangirl »
K-con 09 cosplays
All from Hellsing
Alucard
Young Integra
Young Alucard (AKA Vlad)

Last year I was...
Alucard

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Re: Suggestions 09
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 04:56:09 pm »
How about not making people who PRE-REGISTERED wait in massive lines to get lanyards?  I don't really understand the whole "check-in" business, since you registered with all of your information online.

All it does is punish those who pre-registered.  The line is always 3 times longer than the non-pre-reg line.

That's my biggest suggestion.  It just feels weird pre-registering to get over the hassle of massive lines, only to be trapped in them anyway.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »
what time did you look at the line? The non-pre reg line was WAY longer than pre-reg. I walked up and down the lined waiting for my friends to get in and the normal reg went around to the back where the pre-reg just barely got to the side...

I guess that is one more reason to go on Friday to check in ^_^

Oh....a bigger hotel, thats my suggestion XD

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 06:08:23 pm »
Oh....a bigger hotel, thats my suggestion XD

Done ;)
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 06:14:17 pm »
that is what I hear ^_^

I really want to go check it out....we may have to have another early con ;D

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 06:23:55 pm »
How about not making people who PRE-REGISTERED wait in massive lines to get lanyards?  I don't really understand the whole "check-in" business, since you registered with all of your information online.

All it does is punish those who pre-registered.  The line is always 3 times longer than the non-pre-reg line.

That's my biggest suggestion.  It just feels weird pre-registering to get over the hassle of massive lines, only to be trapped in them anyway.

The reasoning behind having you guys check in even when you pre-register is simple.  It's a matter of security.  Receiving the lanyard is our way of proving that you've paid for the badge itself.  If you (meaning the attendees as a whole) want to have the option of having your badges mailed to you, then this is how things will have to run, otherwise we have no way of proving you're the one who bought the badge.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 06:26:26 pm »
Additionally the Lanyard/pre-reg check in line serves to allow us to do an on site head count for both convention growth statistics and fire code.

Also if you really do despise waiting in lines, then just show up the night before con, pre-reg get in nice and dearly and skip all the junk
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:05:55 pm by kylite »
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 06:31:49 pm »
Yeah if they didn't do the check in then they wouldn't know if they have reached max capacity =/

Anyway I liked going on Friday...it was another chance to hang out and meet new people

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:04:15 pm »
Yay, guest suggestion thread!

I'd like to see:
- Svetlana Chmakova, the creator of DramaCon and Nightschool (I say this every year, but it would still be awesome to have her at Kumoricon).
- I second Crispin Freeman, He would be a fantastic and interesting guest.
- M. Alice LeGrow, the creator of Bizenghast (She has such a captivating imagination, for both story and imagery).
- Johnny Yong Bosch, the voice of (out of many roles) Kiba from Wolf's Rain, Kaneda from Akira, and Vash from Trigun.

Musically (and I fully realize many of these are a great stretch, but I can dream can't I?):
- Juka (ex-vocalist of Moi Dix Mois and Hizaki Grace Project)
- Versailles ~Philharmonic Quintet~
- Nightmare
- Riyu Kosaka (singer of "Danzai no Hana ~Guilty Sky~" the opening theme of Claymore, and others)
- A-Key Kyo
- The Slants
- Piano Squall

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 07:22:31 pm »
I suggest a larger dealers room than the one we had this year x.x also possibley have more panels sunday instead of saturday when everything is busy.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 07:24:38 pm »
Ohh I got one....make it four days instead of three ;D Or even five days O.O (I know this isn't likely but I would love to have a longer con)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:28:04 pm »
4 would be awsome xD but to long and we would all physicaly colapse!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 07:29:40 pm »
yeah but I could handle it ^_^

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 07:31:48 pm »
hm maybe make it so that theres not like a huge party one of the nights so others get a nice chance to rest?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 07:35:46 pm »
it doesn't really matter because I doubt it will happen....maybe in 10 years =/

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 07:47:12 pm »
Ohh I got one....make it four days instead of three ;D Or even five days O.O (I know this isn't likely but I would love to have a longer con)

So, wanna help us staff it for that long?  Keep in mind there is also all of set-up and tear-down to take care of.  This is a 5 day event for many of us ;)  We are forunate thsi year that lots of people were able to work hard on Tuesday as well. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 07:50:14 pm »
Also, there's already contracts in place for the next two years on our venues for specific dates.  I don't know anything about them really or how impossible they are to edit, but I'm guessing we have to keep Kumoricon to be a 3 day event while those are in place.  Also, if you're registering for a "full weekend" pass, the price would probably jack up tremendously, because you'd be paying for like 2/3rd's more con.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 07:54:04 pm »
true....maybe something we can look forward to once the con gets larger...i wasn't suggesting it for this year or even next year....just something that might be a goal for the future?

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 07:57:24 pm »
yeah a futor thing would be fun :3 part of me wants the con to be in the convention center but then again its nice to wake up and just take the elivator down to the con.

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 07:59:18 pm »
I would really love, to see Crispin Freeman, and maybe other Hellsing voice actors. Since there were so many Hellsing cosplayers in 08.

That would be awesome if we could get him.  He's done a lot of great work.

However, I was kinda freaked out at first because I got him mixed up with another actor, Crispin Glover, the guy from Willard.  He creeps me out.  I'd spend all con hiding from him.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:00:40 pm by valliegirl »

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 08:03:23 pm »
Also, there's already contracts in place for the next two years on our venues for specific dates.  I don't know anything about them really or how impossible they are to edit, but I'm guessing we have to keep Kumoricon to be a 3 day event while those are in place.  Also, if you're registering for a "full weekend" pass, the price would probably jack up tremendously, because you'd be paying for like 2/3rd's more con.

Friday night programming is possible without changing the contract, if we have enough staff both on Friday and also helping us get organized just before.  
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 08:04:53 pm »
o.o Really....that would be great....maybe even something simple as a dinner >_>

I would love to have more than just check in and leave

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 08:06:44 pm »
Friday night programming is possible without changing the contract, if we have enough staff both on Friday and also helping us get organized just before. 

Hmm cool.  Yeah we'd need a lot more people (staff/volunteers) on site on Thursday and Friday to pull that off, but it would be neat...  Especially, if we did that as a treat specifically for people who pre-reg'd as more incentive to get there early instead of waiting til Saturday to arrive.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:09:30 pm by valliegirl »

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 08:10:34 pm »
I think thats a great idea! :3 it would be a nice treat for those of us who pre reg

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 08:18:32 pm »
Also, just to get on my soap box for a moment, the best way to make changes in the con, is to get involved.  It's one thing to say that you'd like shorter lines.  It's quite another to take that complaint and turn it into action.  Even if you don't want to be staff and dedicate your entire weekend to the con, you could volunteer an hour or so, lending a hand helping us to get people in the door faster, or keeping up the morale of the people out in the line in the hot hot sun making their wait a little less painful.

We're a volunteer run organization, and the more attendees we get, the more volunteers we need. 

/rant  ^_^

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 09:59:19 pm »
I hope that this is a fairly simple suggestion ^^;;
Anyway, I was wondering if we could get the next DJ(s) to take song requests at the con. I think that they used to do that, anyway. xD
It would be so so so neat <3
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 01:05:54 am »
hint: if the con goes longer then 3 days, no fair complaining if Yojimbo seem cranky. 3 days without sleep is tough, 4 is... PAINFUL!

*wanders off babbling incoherently*
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 10:23:20 am »
hell I would be cranky if the con lasted 4 days....but I am going to try to get a hotel room so I would be able to get more sleep and so would whoever is staying with me ^_^

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 05:02:12 pm »
I had a hotel room and I was still dead on monday xD I am skipping one of the raves this year I swear or I will colapse!

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 01:18:02 am »
One of my big goals for '09 is to get the staff reg numbers increasing faster (by percentage) than the attendee reg numbers.  If we can get that and maintain it, a 4-day con will be feasible one day when every staff member is able to take 14-20 hours out of each day to sleep, eat, and just have fun.  That's a long way away as it is, and it's getting further away.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 02:03:11 am »
I hope that this is a fairly simple suggestion ^^;;
Anyway, I was wondering if we could get the next DJ(s) to take song requests at the con. I think that they used to do that, anyway. xD
It would be so so so neat <3

I was really disappointed when they changed DJs half-way through the night on Saturday.  In the last 3 years I've attended the Saturday night dance (and pretty sure they've always had the same guy), I've never seen them change DJs.  I talked my brother into staying longer; he left to park in a closer spot and by the time he came back, the DJs had switched.  The music before was very danceable -- then the second DJ was mostly techno.  If you like techno (I do, but not to dance to), then I guess that's great.  However, I did talk with someone else (he's a poster here, actually) outside the room.  Me and my brother were mentioning how the music changed, and he joked that he can't dance to techno unless .. well, what are raves usually associated with? ^_^;

I mean no slight or insult against the second DJ.  There are plenty of people that like to dance to techno, but I have a hard time doing it for more than 10-15 minutes.  That said, didn't they have a techno dance on Sunday?  Why split the DJs on Saturday?  If ain't broke, don't fix it -- right?  Am I the only one that felt this way?  I talked to the first DJ as he was leaving (that was when I realized he was no longer DJ'ing) and I told him I'd make a little bit of a fuss about it. ^_^;

Any particular reason why this happened?  I'd like some opinions of other people -- maybe it was just me that was a little put off by the change in DJs.  (But I don't think I was the only one.)

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 10:07:41 am »
I'm pretty sure the reason that occurred is because that's what people said they wanted last year.  They wanted dance music for the first part of the dance, and then the second half to be rave music. 

Maybe it would be better if we just stuck to one night we'll have a dance, the other night we'll have a rave, and we'll clearly list which is which.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 11:23:32 am »
That would be way cool to make one dance and the other rave. I agree with Reppy. After the first DJ switched out, my group and I were kind of hoping that he would have just stayed. I mean no offense to the second Dj. After all, he performed exactly how he was supposed to. What I'm getting at is that variety dances would be kind of neat and maybe also a lot easier than switching out halfway.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 06:05:24 pm »
4 would be awsome xD but to long and we would all physicaly colapse!

5 day cons exist...haha

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 06:15:56 pm »
I know....but where? I want to go to a 5 day con.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 06:39:16 pm »
I don't remember where exactly but I think it's not here in America. Europe, maybe idk.

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

oslapedo

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 09:36:04 pm »
I think San Diego Comic Con is 5 days if you're there for pre-reg...

On of my only complaints was that the Masquerade was not much like a Masquerade. It was, like many have said, a rave + hot sweaty masks. It would be nice if there were slower songs for the Masquerade next year and whatnot.

Btw, I third Crispin Freeman coming. He is the only VA I fangirl over, and he's the only guest I would genuinely care about. It would be the most amazing thing ever if he could come to KCon ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:44:16 pm by oslapedo »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 11:11:11 pm »
As someone who doesn't really dance to anything EXCEPT techno (I'm a high-energy DDR-playing fiend), I'm not really seeing where the difference lies between "dance" and "techno" music.  Do you mean trance/eurobeat and upswing?  "dance" isn't a genre, it's a verb; occasionally a noun.

I do see the issue with switching DJ's in the middle of a set though.  I think DJ's need to play a variety and play to the audience, but if you switch DJ's you switch an important factor of interpretation.  People who disliked the first DJ may like the second DJ, but miss it, and people who enjoyed the first DJ may be dissatisfied by the music selection of the second.  It's simply a bad idea.

A more functional alternative would be to have 2 DJ's operating simultaneously.  We've got a big enough Main Events room to do that now, and it allows the DJ's to coordinate their music for minimal stylistic overlap, and thus increased attendee satisfaction.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:32 am »
The problem with the DJ's lied in the fact that the techno DJ was actually supposed to play at the second dance, but for some reason got told he wasn't doing it anymore.

I know this because the techno Dj is my very close friend.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2008, 10:44:23 am »
is htere anymore news on making friday a bit more than just register and leave? I know I'll be busy that day (gotta get to the hotel around 2 so I can start unloading stock, check into room, get on cosplay, and then get in line and keep unloadin stock into room and vendors hall) but it would still be fun to have something else besides just check in :3

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2008, 01:32:18 pm »
Setup.

It happens all day friday. (I was doing setup until 9am Saturday in the game room; there's never nothing to do)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 01:34:14 pm »
if I have time I'll help ya Tofu :3 after I unload all my art stock that is. >.>

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 01:47:48 pm »
Whoo!  Girls! :D

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 02:05:44 pm »
*whacks with spoon*

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2008, 06:22:05 pm »
I would like more English kareoke songs... I know its an anime convention but that doesnt mean it isnt funney to see characters singing a song in english that fits them..... and not just anime theams that are dubbed... I mean actual songs.. just a thought ^^;;

a lot of people cant sing j-pop so it would be a good way to make everyone feel included.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2008, 11:22:16 pm »
Hella agreed.  I went into Karaoke once in 2006, saw that there were only Japanese songs, and left 3 minutes later.  That kind of thing gives anime conventions a terrible reputation.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2008, 11:03:39 am »
But there are also people. myself included, who don't want to listen to English songs that have pretty much ruined the originals.

It would be cool to have maybe two rooms?  One for English and one for Japanese?

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2008, 08:30:27 pm »
NOO!! Thats not what I ment! I mean english songs as in paramore, kelly clarkson. DHT.... those songs

Not english versions of anime theame songs

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2008, 09:53:02 pm »
Yeah, definitely not just translated songs.  That would be even less attractive to me.  Songs should be sung in there original language, but I don't like the idea of being forced into a Weeaboo mindset.  Being culturally exclusive just makes us look bad.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 09:59:24 pm »
What about anime songs that're originally in some language other than Japanese?

And why should songs only be in their original language? That's like saying books should be, and we know that's not true.