Author Topic: How do you like your manga?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
How do you like your manga?
« on: September 13, 2008, 07:21:05 am »
I was curious how many people prefer tones or color.

If you were going to read a new series and there were two versions of the exact same story/scenes/page size/etc., would you buy a colored version or a traditional toned version?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: How do you like your manga?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:17:53 am »
Well, color can impact a lot beyond it's borders. If the drawing style doesn't agree with me, I wouldn't read it in b/w because the drawing would be so apparent, but in color the colors can detract from the negative aspects of the drawing style. So, color can impact a lot. Normally I read manga in b/w, though. Graphic novel/comic-wise, though, I prefer color. I dunno, I'm weird, lol. I differentiate between the two, even though they basically are the same. I think the thing is, I like glossy pages to be color and graphic novels/anthologized comics more often than not have glossy pages and, thus, color as well. While manga is mostly toned and I'm just fine with that (as long as the illustration style is something I can appreciate).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:10:36 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:08:22 am »
I prefer toned, and colored when it's maybe in an artbook form?
I was curious whether colored is just more tedious work, when you could be creating more toned pages. But eh, anything works really. :3 As long as the content is good.

Offline Teuvan

• Sailor Scout
    • Blogspot page.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 10:31:05 am »
Whether I'd read something in B&W or color depends on the artist. For instance, I hate the color-work from Flame of Recca, but love the B&W artwork. Basically, it depends on the artist's style, and whether or not they can pull off color.
You've been among winebibbers and riotous eaters of flesh, haven't you?
I admit I told you to sell your body, but I did only mean your organs. - Excel

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:06:25 am »
I really prefer B&W.  Though, if there were colour pages in the original serialization, I loe to see those included in the collected format. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:17:14 pm »
Personally, I really don't care either way. Color or not, I'd buy it if it sounded interesting. Color or not alone would not affect my decision to buy a certain manga over another one.

But if I found a series that was both in color and in black and white-- and was the exact same series other than one being color and one not-- I would probably pick the color one just because it would be more colorful and, to me, easier to imagine the characters. But I have no problem with black-and-white, and  in fact I have more B&W than I do color. Actually, I think I only have one or two manga that are in full color...

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 08:27:55 pm »
It would depend.
If I were reading it for the storyline:
toned.
If I didn't care about the character development, and was reading just for impact:
colored.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 08:38:05 pm »
I like it toned. Always.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 11:25:17 pm »
Depends on context.  I can't look at B&W on a computer, but I don't like colorful things off my LCD screens and clothing. :P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 11:30:02 pm »
Assuming it's a good, addictive series. Maybe half and half...

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 05:14:31 am »
I guess it really depends on the manga I do prefer toned though.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 07:54:23 am »
i dont see colored manga around, the most i see is ocationaly they will color the first 3 pages or somthing
like in uzumaki
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline flash15

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 07:41:02 pm »
I dont really care to much as long as said manga does not cost me much (ie free is always good)

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 10:12:15 pm »
It doesn't really matter for me, I guess. Each artist has their own unique style, and if they think it looks good in B&W, color, or both, then it's ultimately their choice. I just like for artists to showcase their talents and strongpoints in the manga they are drawing/publishing

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 06:30:46 pm »
im gonna say B&W tone, and color artbooks!
Team Koga

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 04:56:42 pm »
I like color. Though story has the greatest impact of weather or not I'll read the series (though having a good art style in black and white OR color is always a plus too).

And to get a little off-topic, I would love to see a mangaka who's story pages were like the cover art. For example, you know in artbooks and the glossy pages how the mangaka goes all out to create a beautiful color image? I'd like to see a mangaka who's interior art was as gorgeous and in color as the artbook images. I mean, the American comic artist Alex Ross has amazing cover art AND all his comic pages and interior work are as amazing as his artbook work.

http://www.alexrossart.com/

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 05:08:10 pm »
I imagined doing sort of a mix of Japanese and American comics. About half the size of a full volume manga and the size of the manga paper, and coloring inside with a hint of American comic panelling/layout.

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 05:13:27 pm »
I imagined doing sort of a mix of Japanese and American comics. About half the size of a full volume manga and the size of the manga paper, and coloring inside with a hint of American comic panelling/layout.

Are you thinking about doing a manga?

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 05:42:39 pm »
Actually, more people are insterested in me doing a manga than I am. I've always been a little too modest about me skills, though.
So maybe...