Author Topic: 2008 Reviews!  (Read 19220 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2008 Reviews!
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 10:29:13 pm »
To the person who posted about Jaki running Programming for the past 3 years-- it's felt like it, hasn't it? Because she's so sweet and reliable and efficient and makes sure anything anyone else is slacking on gets done, without any ego trips or power trips.

But this was her first year as Director per se. The past 2 years the Director was Brenda.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »
This year I was a little bored.  It was really fun in the artist alley, but the dealers room had little to offer and we were awfully cramped.

I was very upset that despite people saying "Oh, Lori says she has your badge," when she was asked about it she told people she never had it.  It didn't help that I was sent to stand in the will-call line for 20 minutes for them to tell me they had NO artist/exhbitor passes, then I got to sit in someone's hotel room for 30 minutes with several other people who hadn't received the badges they pre-regged for.

I was given a DAY pass and told I could go through the same crap the next day, waiting around for somebody to come around and tell somebody else they never had my badge.

When I asked Lori about it I got the run-around and was told they couldn't make me a badge because the printer was backed up.  She said my name wasn't on the list of people that were guests at Gothic Fish's table, despite Nike having a printout with the confirmation of ME being at the table with her.

When I asked if I could at least get a badge that wasn't for Saturday, Lori asked if I was "the girl who said mean things about her on the forum."  This makes me wonder what really happened to my badge.

There were a few instances where some Yojimbo seemed to be power tripping, telling people they could/couldn't have things that you guys previously okayed/denied, like the giant hammer nobody could get around.

Overall it was a decent K-con, but I really REALLY hope that the AA is not run the same way ever again.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 07:53:59 pm »
It was really fun in the artist alley, but the dealers room had little to offer and we were awfully cramped.

Okay, I didn't want to say anything, but I felt exactly the same way! I'm not sure what I was looking for amidst the dealers but this was officially the first convention I've walked away from with more than $20. I just couldn't find much worth buying that wasn't rediculously overpriced :\

Still, nobody's fault really. I figure I was just a member of the wrong fandoms... and not willing to shell $20 out on one of the awesome Evangelion action figures, which I somewhat regret now. If only I knew which Eva Kaoru pilots in Rebuild. XD

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 08:07:46 pm »
This year I was a little bored.  It was really fun in the artist alley, but the dealers room had little to offer and we were awfully cramped.

I was very upset that despite people saying "Oh, Lori says she has your badge," when she was asked about it she told people she never had it.  It didn't help that I was sent to stand in the will-call line for 20 minutes for them to tell me they had NO artist/exhbitor passes, then I got to sit in someone's hotel room for 30 minutes with several other people who hadn't received the badges they pre-regged for.

I was given a DAY pass and told I could go through the same crap the next day, waiting around for somebody to come around and tell somebody else they never had my badge.

When I asked Lori about it I got the run-around and was told they couldn't make me a badge because the printer was backed up.  She said my name wasn't on the list of people that were guests at Gothic Fish's table, despite Nike having a printout with the confirmation of ME being at the table with her.

When I asked if I could at least get a badge that wasn't for Saturday, Lori asked if I was "the girl who said mean things about her on the forum."  This makes me wonder what really happened to my badge.

There were a few instances where some Yojimbo seemed to be power tripping, telling people they could/couldn't have things that you guys previously okayed/denied, like the giant hammer nobody could get around.

Overall it was a decent K-con, but I really REALLY hope that the AA is not run the same way ever again.

From all the complaints I heard about BEFORE the con, I can't say I'm surprised.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.
Maybe some day instead of being connected to exhibitor's hall artists' alley could be connected with the art show.
In an ideal world both would be connected with Creation Station. At least in some small way such as each room having signs  advertising the programming in the other two.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 08:24:40 pm »
All in all, I had a good time at the con.  One new thing this year that I'd really like to see again next year was the swap meet...PERFECT way to get rid of things I've gotten in grab bags (why do I still buy those?), and I finally got to try the goodies from Nekopan Bakery which were as delicious as everyone says.

I do have a couple of compliants though.  First of all, I was sitting a few rows from the back of the room for the end of the charity auction into closing ceremonies and I didn't know if it was just me (God knows my hearing isn't the best) but I was having a hard time hearing what was being said into the mic. 

Second, I agree with whoever said that the dealer's room was slightly overpriced in some areas.  20 dollars for a Naruto headband?  Come on.

Sakuracon 2014
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 09:20:10 pm »
My only dealer's room gripe was, where were all the DVDs?  Last year there were three or four tables that were just selling DVDs.  This year there was really only one dealer.  I felt that was weird.

Also, is Copic no longer a sponsor?  I finally decided to ovary up and spend the money I needed to spend on a manga wallet, and then they weren't there.  What happened?
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 10:44:26 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of dealers and diversity was because of how difficult it was to get into contact with the coordinator.

It did suck that the DVD's were overpriced  (I priced them at the con, then went to Best Buy and bought them for a LOAD cheaper!)

A lot of figures (the ones I deemed worth buying, because there weren't many I liked) were really decently priced!  I got a GORGEOUS Chun Li for $20, two bunny girls for $30 (which is like $15 apiece!) and a Monsiur Bome magical maid girl for $17 and I've been eyeballing her for YEARS!

The Eva figures for $20 were a STEAL!

I just felt that the anime, clothing and plushies were overpriced.  The figures were downright cheap!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 10:49:48 pm »
I'm thinking that the lack of DVDs was because those are things you can go to the store and get, while things like import dolls, figurines, props, etc, aren't that easily available.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 11:22:43 pm »
I'm not sure but I think last year with the whole parking garage we had more space for vendors.  The booths sold out quickly and were slightly smaller.  Hopefully this will be different next year but I've yet to tour the hilton.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline CaptainKrystal

• Oni
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 12:36:48 am »
Most of what I had to say was already mentioned.

Though I must say, I couldn't help feeling a little bored at times. It seemed like earlier in the day not much was happening that I really wanted to go to. And then at night all the really interesting things were happening at the same times. This just could be because of my personal interests or the lack of people wanting to set up anything. But, I don't think I was the only one feeling this way.

Otherwise, I had a great time. Can't wait for next year.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2008, 01:32:45 am »
Con: Honestly I think this was where 90% of the mistakes at this year's Kumoricon were made. Panels that weren't listed in the scheduling, panels that the person who were supposed to run it didn't ever show up (most notibly the Shoujo/Shonen-Ai Party, with its epic 2 hour ramble in place of an actual event), panels that weren't given nearly enough time before or after panels that were given way too much, and panels which were given thouroughly misleading or useless (here's looking at you Epic Panel) descriptions in the Scheduling Guide. Also there was just a general sense of confusion and stress that wasn't present (imo) last year.
It helps to remember that most panels are ran by attendees, not con staff. As several people much higher on the food chain said at rants & Raves, we cannot force these people to be on time. It is unfortunate that we had problems with punctuality

I heard a suggestion which I felt it would be good to reiterate here- Keep the PS3 controllers with the systems their synked with! I know it's frustrating, but they really really do not like hooking up with a new PS3 with the one they are currently synked with is still in use somewhere else in the room.
If you have a way to prevent theft and do that at the same time, the rest of game staff and I would love to hear it.

Also felt like the general atmosphere was a little more stressed and quite a bit more homophobic
What are you talking about? Could we get some more info please?

If they can't call upon enough maturity to do this, they really don't have any place in staff.
And, if you aren't ready to act in a mature manner and follow convention policies, you don't belong at a con as an attendee. The blade cuts both ways. Much of the staffers frustration is from problems with noncompliance by attendees and various other problems. If you possess the requisite maturity and stamina, I suggest you apply for staff, because the more we spread the work around, the less stress there is. Some staffers were below par. This will be dealt with.

This happens some times, is all I'll say. But I'm pretty sure large weapons like that are ok'd as long as they had somebody watching the end they couldn't see, at all times

Also, if you have complaints and such, please, please come to rant and rave after the closing ceremony. It is the most official forum for this i know of.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:37:31 am by Mister_manji »
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2008, 02:17:17 am »

This happens some times, is all I'll say. But I'm pretty sure large weapons like that are ok'd as long as they had somebody watching the end they couldn't see, at all times

WORD.

They also have a very nasty habit of  overstepping their boundaries, and confusing 'I don't like' with 'illegal' or 'hotel policy'.

Large weapons can be a pain, I personally hate them.
Unless they are blocking fire exists and actually breaking laws, and hotel policy, CONTINUOUSLY con security has no right to take them away.

As for the man screaming at attendee in the park, he overstepped his boundaries regardless of his position within the convention staff.

As I had to remind the SC staff last year- outside of the convention space ispunlic domain. Niether convention security, or policy have any  jurisdiction.
Instead of screaming like a Jack ass, he should have asked him to put it way.  Had continued to refuse, short of the attendee threatening anyone, he should have just let it go. After that, if the attendee were to be busted by police, it would be his own problem.

As far as the  "were tired and stressed" goes, cry me a river.
Do you think that kind of crap flies in the real world, in professional businesses?  I dare anyone in costumer service to start screaming and bossing around customers and then see how far the " I'm stressed' excuse gets you.

I don't doubt it is stressful, but no matter how stressful it is, people STILL do it. I wonder why?

I'm grateful for those Yojimbo and other staff who work very hard (without the power tripping) but really, if you can't handle it. Don't do it.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 09:57:54 am by kylite »

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2008, 08:27:45 am »
I'm thinking that the lack of DVDs was because those are things you can go to the store and get, while things like import dolls, figurines, props, etc, aren't that easily available.

The particular DVDs/boxsets we got last year were ones that just don't show up in the local Best Buy, because no one but us seems to care/know about them.  Stuff like Cosmo Warrior Zero--I don't think I've met another person who's seen it.
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2008, 10:13:32 am »

Do you think that kind of crap flies in the real world, in professional businesses?  I dare anyone in costumer service to start screaming and bossing around customers and then see how far the " I'm stressed' excuse gets you.

I don't doubt it is stressful, but no matter how stressful it is, people STILL do it. I wonder why?

I'm grateful for those Yojimbo and other staff who work very hard (without the power tripping) but really, if you can't handle it. Don't do it.
You do have to understand that there is a big difference between the professional service industry and con staff: they have salaries. Not saying that you shouldn't expect greatness from us, but remember, even paid professionals have their limits.

Though this kind of thing seems to happen yoji staff more often than other departments...and is often not about stress or anything like that.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:25 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of dealers and diversity was because of how difficult it was to get into contact with the coordinator.

I would think that being not only accessible, but polite, prompt, accurate, efficient, honest, and thorough when accessed, and proactive about accessing others as needed, would be absolute prerequisites for being given any titled position within any con. They should be, anyway.

This year I felt perfectly comfortable finding all those qualities in Jaki, Programming Chair. (Such was not always the case with all programming chairs at all cons.) And in Mike when needed btw.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2008, 04:53:52 pm »

The particular DVDs/boxsets we got last year were ones that just don't show up in the local Best Buy, because no one but us seems to care/know about them.  Stuff like Cosmo Warrior Zero--I don't think I've met another person who's seen it.

Yeah but still usualy the DVD sets are better, last year I saw the Chrono Crusade for like 40-60 bucks somethin like that, I think it was 40... this year it was 70 TT~TT I bought it anyways cause I just cant find it at best buy, that and Kumoricon is like the only chance I have for box sets because my mom never lets me get them when we go to the vedio stores, and my mom has the crazy idea that best buy and that stuff is for losers and so we dont really go there or other places with good box sets that often :/ with the exception of the ocasional trip to Frys for computer parts.
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Miss Faye

• Cabbit
    • myspace
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2008, 11:07:36 pm »
con was great! and i love the staff but is it really neccissary to yell at people in a rude manor for not wearing their badge around their necks when in the hotel lobby? that's my only complaint

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2008, 12:22:25 am »

You do have to understand that there is a big difference between the professional service industry and con staff: they have salaries. Not saying that you shouldn't expect greatness from us, but remember, even paid professionals have their limits.

Though this kind of thing seems to happen yoji staff more often than other departments...and is often not about stress or anything like that.

I DO expect greatness form the Yojimbo. It is themselves who do not.  I seem to be one of the feel this way anymore, but I am strong believer in the idea that those in power need to hold themselves to a higher standard than everyone else.

If the Yojimbo do not take their own jobs seriously, why should we?  Anime cons have a bad enough reputation as it is without it's own staff treating it like a game.

Yea it mainly is the Yojimbo, and no, it isn't about stress. I can tell you that they do not have nearly as difficult a job as many other staff members.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2008, 12:30:03 am »
tell ya what, instead of downing on the yojimbo, why don't u join us next year. then you can see how NOT HARD we have it. how other staffers get to sleep, get to eat, get to bathe, get to spend a little time doing something else during the con. we show up the day before the con, we leave a day after the con is over. the yojimbo are workin their butts off for the con goers. So I am sorry if we are a little ragged or edgy. we try to maintain a professional manner about us at all times. but we are only human, do you expect more then that? are we to be spartans?

Also please consider this: we dont get paid for this, we PAY for this. Being a yojimbo means we are there to help keep things running smoothly. 4000 plus attendees, its guaranteed at least 10% will give us a hard time just because they feel like it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:38:59 am by kylite »
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2008, 01:07:51 am »
tell ya what, instead of downing on the yojimbo, why don't u join us next year.
 So I am sorry if we are a little ragged or edgy. we try to maintain a professional manner about us at all times. but we are only human, do you expect more then that? are we to be spartans?

Also please consider this: we dont get paid for this, we PAY for this. Being a yojimbo means we are there to help keep things running smoothly. 4000 plus attendees, its guaranteed at least 10% will give us a hard time just because they feel like it.

You misunderstand. I'm not 'downing on the Yojimbo'.

I appreciate that you guys work hard without pay.
If it weren't for the Yojimbo checking ID at my panel I could not have hosted it.
If not for those in the elevators..god knows what could have happened.
 They are a vital part of the convention, and we could not have one without them, short of paying for a contractor to send security.

..I'm downing on people who join the Yojimbo just to boss people around and feel important. I know it isn't the majority, but of coarse their the loudest, and most seen since they go around LOOKING for people to harass.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2008, 09:37:51 pm »
The DoubleTree was ill-prepared for our event.  We do have a much larger hotel next year that will be better prepared to accommodate our needs.  We kind of had a Titanic-esque situation this year where the hotel simply didn't have enough supplies to accommodate its capacity, and we exceeded that easily.  Fridges were a problem, especially for people who brought perishables.  I was going to have a large quantity of perishables, but wound up not getting it OR a fridge, which sucked no matter how you slice it.  Availability of cots and minifridges is something that I will ask our facilities liaison to try to look at early next year.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2008, 11:51:27 pm »
I also noticed one table in the artist alley was selling copied fanart.  These pieces were taken from screencaps and other official works and hand drawn, but it's still not allowed at Sakuracon and I don't think it should be at ours, either. 

Do we have rules against this?  I know the Sakuracon rules say they're "strictly enforced," but nobody said anything to the girl in our alley.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2008, 12:31:16 am »
I really really enjoyed the Con. My one complaint was the dances. I really liked the first one, its music was diverse to suit many people interests and it had a nice steady beat you could really dance to, BUT it was WAY too full. It was very difficult to actually dance because of how full it was, and it didn't make matters much better when a HUGE circle broke out to accommodate people spinning around glow sticks on strings and the like. While it is very entertaining to watch, it was not very nice for those who wanted more than three micrometers to dance.

The second night I thought was greatly lacking in music that one could actually dance to. There was a lack of diversity and it ONLY played Happy hardcore style music. The beat is extremely fast and the continuous pauses make dancing awkward. Sure its great if you just want to flail around and rub up against people on the main dance floor I guess, but I actually enjoy moving to a beat I can keep up with. In short I would have liked to have seen more generalized dance music instead of all Happy Hardcore all the time.

That's just the way I feel any how.
I would actually second this. I think that there needs to be more of a variety. I would love if they brought back the song requests <3 <3 <3
But that's just me dreaming xD
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2008, 02:37:32 am »
I also noticed one table in the artist alley was selling copied fanart.  These pieces were taken from screencaps and other official works and hand drawn, but it's still not allowed at Sakuracon and I don't think it should be at ours, either. 

Do we have rules against this?  I know the Sakuracon rules say they're "strictly enforced," but nobody said anything to the girl in our alley.

...I'm not really seeing what's wrong with that description. As long as it's drawn by them, it shouldn't matter if it's taken from an official source. Otherwise all those replicas of the Mona Lisa would be outlawed. I mean, it's different if they're trying to pass their pictures off *as* official, but if they're only presented as fanart, it should be OK.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2008, 02:07:06 pm »

...I'm not really seeing what's wrong with that description. As long as it's drawn by them, it shouldn't matter if it's taken from an official source. Otherwise all those replicas of the Mona Lisa would be outlawed. I mean, it's different if they're trying to pass their pictures off *as* official, but if they're only presented as fanart, it should be OK.

I don't think this is allowed, and if the rules aren't clear, it shouldn't be allowed.

Copies/tracings are not fanart--it's bootlegging. Copies are not drawn by the copier--only traced at best. Fanart by definition means original drawings of existing characters.

Technically, fanart itself is a copyright violation. But Japanese companies have a long history of looking the other way on this (otherwise doujinshi would not exist), and many American companies are doing the same for American franchises, so it's pretty acceptable for Artist Alleys to allow this.

Mona Lisa is both public domain, and well-known--so to trace it is not a copyright violation, and it's not plagiarism either as it's so well known that it's obvious to most people that it's based on a famous historical work. It's similar to using measures of a famous piece of classical music in a modern song. Which is quite different than using measures of a different piece of modern music in a song (permission or not--it's artistically quite different).
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2008, 10:54:58 pm »
No, fanart by definition is UNOFFICIAL pictures of existing characters. A copy of an official picture is still unofficial.

And not every copy is traced--there's also eyeballing.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2008, 11:01:46 pm »
You're right, it has to be unofficial to be fanart, so I should have added that to my definition. But I say the drawing also has to be original. The point is you are using an existing franchise but creating an original picture.

Eyeballing is a gray area, but I think would be frowned upon. If done in the commercial world, it is usually considered plagiarism, even if the franchise is changed. Tracing and any other mechanical copying is definitely not an original drawing.

I challenge you to find an anime con which has developed fanart rules to this level of detail, which allows tracing or copying of official works. There may be some, but I doubt many, and I would not be surprised to find that it is none at all. Whereas many allow fanart, but specifically disallow copying or tracing.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2008, 03:56:46 pm »
erm eyeballing can be considered pose copying as well, which in the artist world is nearly as bad as some one taking your picture and claiming it to be their own, despite if they drew it by eyeball or just copyied it ._.

genrraly while eyeballing can be aloud, and is actualy a very good way to learn anatomy (if your looking at well drawn pictures that is) its often frowned upon by other atists....
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2008, 04:58:31 pm »
What about this situation
there was a vendor selling neclaces that you could buy at dollar tree only it was attached to a card board base that had a pic of a japanese singer, said it was their brand of necklaces

thing that tipped me off was the picture, when i looked at the back i could see it was printed by home printer or when you get pics developed at wall greens

there ARE jewlary lines run by japanese singers, but the boths stuff wasnt it, is that allowed?
I'd hate to see some j-rock junkie buying a necklace because they think (enter japanese singer) company made it, only to walk into a dollor tree and see the same thing they paid 20 bucks for

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2008, 07:52:13 pm »
 Oh hooray copyright. My favorite kind of law.  NOT.

Here are a few important facts to remember;

1) You don't have to register for a copy right. The second a work is completed, it is covered by copyright.

2) 'Fair use' considers four factors
       (1) purpose and character of use ie commercial, or non-profit  educational
       (2) nature of work
       (3) amount and substantiality and portion of work as a whole ( how much of the work was copied)
       (4) effect of use on potential market for work ( is it taking profit away from copyright holder)

Basically, it all comes down to money.

If someone takes your work and sells it without your permission, regardless of whether you are selling it yourself ( note " potential' market) you have a case.

Here's one I hear a lot " Someone took art that I was not selling off of my DA and posted it in their photo bucket BAAAW" Sorry, no case. STFU. 
Another little detail here is public access. You especially have no case if they are not making it widely available to the public. ( via private account)

As far as the 'portion 'issue' the work has to be copied in its entirety. You can't claim someone stole a pose, or background. Because, face i, it is impossible to do soemthing 100% original these days.

Also keep in mind, that there are always finite little details to copyrights. So while these are geenral rules, most copyright disputes are settled on a case by case basis.

What about this situation
there was a vendor selling neclaces that you could buy at dollar tree only it was attached to a card board base that had a pic of a japanese singer, said it was their brand of necklaces

thing that tipped me off was the picture, when i looked at the back i could see it was printed by home printer or when you get pics developed at wall greens

there ARE jewlary lines run by japanese singers, but the boths stuff wasnt it, is that allowed?
I'd hate to see some j-rock junkie buying a necklace because they think (enter japanese singer) company made it, only to walk into a dollor tree and see the same thing they paid 20 bucks for

Copryright right only applies to intangible property.  Trademarks, are for things liek logos, and patents are for inventions.

They COULD attempt to apply for a patent, but they would most likely fail because well, their beaded necklaces.

All they could do is go afetrt hem for trademark, and that's only IF They copied the companies logo or brand name.  Even then they would have to prove that they are losing money/business. Which I highly doubt, in the end, it would hardly  be worth their time.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:07:41 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2008, 11:57:01 pm »
ThiefKingsHier, you make me a happy Tofu for saying all of that. :]
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2008, 07:27:59 pm »
I don't actually understand everything of copyright, but I did think that someone did officially have to go seek protection to have it, legally. For example I had a boyfriend who had music on myspace, then took it down because people had put it elsewhere and he wanted to be sure no one used it without him having it copyrighted, and it was going to take him a lot of $$ to get that done.
I did recently read a little about Creative Commons, which offers artists/authors/filmmakers/etc. the option to use their sort of sliding scale from full copyright to partial copyright to anti-copyright (free use for all, including altering the material).

Now as for the post long ago that I regretfully overlooked regarding Copic:
 If you look in the KC '08 Con Book, right on the Table of Contents page, at the bottom, Copic is the first name listed as a sponsor of the con! Moreover, ever since Creation Station has had fan art content, Copic has been our sponsor at all of our cons, including, of course, Kumoricon, where we first used the name Fan Creation Station in 2005 (after our all-fanfic Beta Station at KC 2004). We have their loaner markers and ink pens available for use in our room during our (fan art and original art) contests, and also have at least some materials donated by Copic as prizes for our contests. And we always have their promotional materials, with info on their colors and how to order supplies. :)

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2008, 11:58:07 pm »
I don't actually understand everything of copyright, but I did think that someone did officially have to go seek protection to have it, legally. For example I had a boyfriend who had music on myspace, then took it down because people had put it elsewhere and he wanted to be sure no one used it without him having it copyrighted, and it was going to take him a lot of $$ to get that done.
I did recently read a little about Creative Commons, which offers artists/authors/filmmakers/etc. the option to use their sort of sliding scale from full copyright to partial copyright to anti-copyright (free use for all, including altering the material).

Now as for the post long ago that I regretfully overlooked regarding Copic:
 If you look in the KC '08 Con Book, right on the Table of Contents page, at the bottom, Copic is the first name listed as a sponsor of the con! Moreover, ever since Creation Station has had fan art content, Copic has been our sponsor at all of our cons, including, of course, Kumoricon, where we first used the name Fan Creation Station in 2005 (after our all-fanfic Beta Station at KC 2004). We have their loaner markers and ink pens available for use in our room during our (fan art and original art) contests, and also have at least some materials donated by Copic as prizes for our contests. And we always have their promotional materials, with info on their colors and how to order supplies. :)

Tofu: Glad to help.  After all " Knowlagde is power!" *corn*
 I appolagize for allthe typos though, as you can see I do better in than law than english ^^;

Oi, the intarwebs makes thing so much more difficult. I think maybe he had to pay for protection,  becuase it was posted someplace tha twould make it readily available to the public. In most cases, if you have concern with compyrigth/patent ect infringment, you have to prove that your making an effort to protect your material.

Offline Nekojimei

• Sailor Scout
    • DA
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2008, 08:54:37 pm »
For me, the con is HEAVEN! It's a place where people actually know and understand what I'm talking about, and where I can be as wacky as  I want without too much thought. It's fun, and I love it.