Author Topic: Soul Calibur 2 -- how do you play?  (Read 7839 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Soul Calibur 2 -- how do you play?
« on: November 04, 2004, 01:47:13 pm »
Do you play Soul Calibur 2?

If so, how often? Who do you play as? Do you play against friends, or mostly alone?

How "good" do you think you are? Against real people, or playing solo?

Have you noticed anything interesting about certain characters? Have you learned of any new ways to use certain moves that make them more useful now that you know?

Which character do you find most annoying, or perhaps even unfair? What bothers you about that character's fighting style?

Which system do you prefer? Which controller? Or do you play in the arcade?

Feel free to answer any of these questions that you wish. :) I'll post my own answers a little later.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline KanaM

• Cabbit
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~miyavichik
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 04:39:27 pm »
I will touch on a bunch of those.

Do you play Soul Calibur 2? hell yeah

If so, how often? Who do you play as? Do you play against friends, or mostly alone?
I play as often as possible, but I dont have a system that has Soul Calbur II, so I just play at my friends house.  And I usually play against my friends.  And I am almost always Mitsurugim because I can play as him the best.

How "good" do you think you are? Against real people, or playing solo? I think I'm ok against realy people.  not that great though

Which character do you find most annoying, or perhaps even unfair? What bothers you about that character's fighting style? Voldo. I just hate him. The way he fights and everything.  And Ivy.  Actually, I think that I find Raphael the most annoying.  

Which system do you prefer? Which controller? Or do you play in the arcade?  I've only played it on Xbox, and I didnt like the controllers I was using, but I'm not sure what kind they were

Offline PvtChipsDubbo

• Cabbit
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 02:30:55 am »
Hey K-Fans,

1.  Do you play Soul Calibur 2?  

Yes.

2.  If so, how often? Who do you play as? Do you play against friends, or mostly alone?

I play Soul Calibur 2 whenever I can, play as any female character I feel like taking, and play mostly alone and if not alone with a sibling.

3.  How "good" do you think you are? Against real people, or playing solo?

I think I am not all that "good" playing against real people, however I think I do better playing in solo.

4.  Have you noticed anything interesting about certain characters? Have you learned of any new ways to use certain moves that make them more useful now that you know?

I know I do not like Voldo :x and I have not learned any new ways to use certain moves that make them more useful than I know pertaining to any character I have played, which is not all, because I mainly "button mash".

5.  Which character do you find most annoying, or perhaps even unfair? What bothers you about that character's fighting style?

I find Voldo the most annoying, because he walks funny, like that DJ guy from Tekken, or at least I think I am thinking the right one.

6.  Which system do you prefer? Which controller? Or do you play in the arcade?

I prefer the X-Box, S-Controller, and I will play in the arcade if the occasion rises.
"You drive like a baboon in heat!"
"It is down to you and me mister fly."
"Oh I am sorry, did I break your concentration?"
"You no mess with Lo Wang."
                                                    -Lo Wang

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 10:25:01 am »
I like playing as Mitsurugi and as Nightmare, I'm not very good because I don't really like playing fighting games by myself, so I don't get a lot of practice, I found out that switching stances is pretty nifty,  Mitsurugi's shinsemgumi's stance is cool(wide base crouch, sword held high). When I play my friend Bryce we have a vicious Nightmare/Voldo rivalry(stupid voldo)
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

dmstudios3

A is for Astaroth
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 02:06:57 pm »
My favorite character is Astaroth (who, by the way, I won the Kumoricon tournament with two years running).  I also like Yun Seung and Kilik.  Ivy can be fun to play with also.  But Astaroth is freaking intimidating.  I scare people.  "He's too slow to do good. . . .Oh my GOSH!  Where'd my life go?" [insert evil laughter in background] :twisted:

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 04:17:16 am »
Everybody seems to agree that Voldo is irritating. Man, I demonstrated it for my sister when D-Man came over the other day. I just picked him and mashed buttons semi-randomly (meaning, not hitting them all at once, but I didn't even pay attention to what I was doing). D-Man was probably not trying very hard at the time, but I won both rounds.

Bleh. Voldo is cheap. He has way too much range and damage capability for his speed, button-mashing almost always produces a good combo, and his throws look stupid; his basic throws haven't changed since Soul Edge.

Anyway, here are my answers:

how often? Who do you play as? Do you play against friends, or mostly alone?
Very often, usually alone (my friends don't practice much and would rather not get thrashed in multiplayer), and my four characters in order of competency are:
Talim,  Taki, Link, and Seung Mina.

I play as Link most often, but mostly just for fun. I probably wouldn't use him in a tournament. I'm very comfortable with Talim.

Very good, but not necessarily the best. I do well against the computer, and when playing against other people, it depends on whether they get much of a chance to practice in Versus mode.

Have you noticed anything interesting about certain characters? Have you learned of any new ways to use certain moves that make them more useful now that you know?
Talim has a little-known auto-dodge move that isn't listed in any FAQ I've found or even the strategy guide! It can link into three moves: a backward flip, a front flip, or a side-dodge. The side-dodge rocks.

Also, Link's back+kick move is a great way to set up side throws. Link's right side throw is my favorite throw in the game! :D ....But on the other hand, his back throw is the dumbest in the game... -_-;

I prefer Gamecube because I love Link. I am also one of the only people in existance who prefers the Gamecube button layout. I use an odd little GC controller I got in Japan that looks like a Super Nintendo controller.... it's meant for the Gameboy Player. Go, digital!! 8)

Apollo Justice

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 12:24:55 pm »
Does anybody remember thsat guy  during the  tourny  That said " thats how you play Golf"  I like any char really   and to me its not the char who is annoying but  the person who plays as him
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 04:49:46 am »
Quote from: "Waffles"
Does anybody remember thsat guy  during the  tourny  That said " thats how you play Golf"  I like any char really   and to me its not the char who is annoying but  the person who plays as him

That is certainly MORE true, but a character can most certainly be cheap and annoying in 1-player mode. And I've had friends I like as people who are annoying when they pick a certain character.

(Modab, you and your Jigglypuff in SSBM... Grrrr.... ;) ....Okay, that's not SC2.)

Apollo Justice

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 02:58:24 pm »
ok, I loved playing SC2, I played it for weeks, I was in japan when it first came out and played every chance I could.  I was playing when Yoshimitsu was time released...
and now the game is ass
the thing is... most people dont know how to "play" the game, as it were... in a really condescending sense... because the 'good' SC2 players, those that just own everyone for free... know how to play to win... abuse abuse abuse... use safe pokes, scrub-killing tactics, and generally pick higher tiered characters.
There was still a big scene for this game, but... concidering how poorly the tournament went in california, a lot of people really saw how bad the game had become.  

Anyway, I only hope that none of you really have to face any of this, cause Im sure you love the game as much as I did.  And just saying Voldo is cheap because of button mashing is nowhere near as bad as playing a good astaroth, mitsurugi, cervantes, knightmare, kilik and even Ivy.

Anyway, yeah, I played it from time to time, it seems my skills degraded a lot, but oh well, I try not to play the game much any more... Just run around with mitsurugi trying the big flashy combos... I keep getting told to abuse the low kick rising slash more, and cancel it which leaves you at a positive frame advantage after block... but I just cant seem to stand using the same move over and over...

Do any of you even know the frame advantages of any of your characters moves? Looked it up at  all?
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 07:53:02 pm »
I've had a quick look at frame advantages before, but at this point there is absolutely no reason for me to be so aggressive.  I have to actively go out and search for people who play the game well enough to have even a friendly match, and even in the northwest convention tournaments, few people get as practiced as you're talking about.

The thing is, Oregon fighting game competition is really reserved. It might be a little more competitive in Portland, but come on down to Eugene or Springfield sometime and find a popular SC2 location. Watch. Nobody plays versus mode, except sometimes against known friends. :roll: I've even had somebody ask permission to watch.

Now, at tournaments, I'm able to go up against some competition. But without experience playing against real people in tense situations, knowing frame rates isn't going to do jack**** for me. My real enemy right now is nerves. I play best when I get into a "flow," and that's how I like to play. So why be more competitive?

I've seen the dark side of competition, too. I'm talking about people who socialize only because they share interest in one game, and nothing else. It's a mean sort of socializiation. I don't really like it. -_-; At least at a convention, people find other interests in common, as well.

Apollo Justice

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 01:30:39 pm »

Yeah. I was the Taichi who entered the tournament.

I play it most of the time, when I get bored of SSBM and Animal Crossing. I'm best with Talim, who I used in the tournament, but I can also be a decent Sophitia, Kilik or Raphael. I'd play against friends if I knew anyone who played games, but as it is I mostly play solo.

Meh. I was a lot better when it first came out, I'm losing my touch. Against real people I'm not as good as I should be, but I'm all right. Solo I'm excellent, though.

Which character do you find most annoying, or perhaps even unfair? What bothers you about that character's fighting style?

Voldo and a really well-played Nightmare really piss me off, for lots of reasons. Mainly because they're so cheap, etc. With a fast character you can destroy even a well-played Voldo though.

I prefer GameCube, with either the default controller or the one I have with a fan in it. It's the same basic design but the size of a PS2 controller, which makes it good for me, who owns both.

Offline Kikyo_of_Oregon

• Cabbit
Re: Soul Calibur 2 -- how do you play?
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 08:05:55 am »
Do you play Soul Calibur 2? If so, how often? Who do you play as? Do you play against friends, or mostly alone?

Yes. Quite often. Talim. Friends.

Terrible. I'm a buttonmasher. Both.

Hmm...Not really. Just mash da buttons and don't forget you're playing against someone when you do something really damn cool. You have a high chance of loosing that way...blah.

Dude with da staff. Can't for the life of me remember his name. THE STAFF!!! I hate that thing! I mean, we were having a tournament at school and I was kickin' serious 3D bum. I totally owned the tournament. Until this little asian geek (and I mean that in the most friendly way possible...) comes up and picks staff-boy. Boom. Dead. Turns out he had actually played the damn game before. Which instills the thought that I am utterly terrible at this game.

Xbox. Controller? erm...the blue one? o.O I know there's different versions, but I don't know which one mine is.

EDIT:: after reading other posts, I now remember staff-boy's name. Kilik. I like staff-boy better. More insulting. :P
Pantsu!

~~~
Looking for previous wolfwood cosplayers. in need of help.

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 08:27:18 pm »
soul caliber is awsome im really good at it i think for some reason i only like playing as yungsung dont know why

Heavensclone

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 03:19:09 am »
Do you play Soul Calibur 2? If so, how often? Who do you play as? Do you play against friends, or mostly alone?

Yes, I play Soul Calibur 2.  I play it ten times a week.  I play as Link (Kumoricon 2004 tourny  "The boomerang is NOT useless!!") and Kilik.

I am cheap with Link.  Basically if I get into a bind I try to throw my opponent off the edge.  I may not be very good with Link, so I compensate by throwing as many bombs as humanly possible.  I am trying to play correctly with Kilik though.  Was being trained by one of the best players in the United States for a few days.  I never play against the computer anymore.

Yeah.  I have GOT to use Kilik's range to my advantage.  Anytime I get too close, I get pWned.  Kilik is a little slow...so it's best to be at a distance to give myself time to execute moves.  I have thrown together a few good combos with Kilik, and recently learned how to chain together this one massive combo.

Well, I don't know.  I think all the characters are pretty balanced, with the exception of those banned at tournaments (Assassin, etc.)

Only Gamecube.  Standard wired controller.  I have yet to play a Soul Calibur 2 arcade game.  I want to though, and I probably will at Tilt in the Llyod Center during Kumoricon.

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 08:18:32 am »
1) Yes, I play against my hubby, who is very good at these sorts of things.

2) I'm not really sure about that one. He beats me in the game often, but for some reason I've very good at playing Kilik and can beat him most of the time with him. Maybe it's the eye-candy factor! ^.^;

3) I think lots of the characters are very interesting, Voldo freaks me out tho.  Talk about ugly!  And like I said, I'm really good with Kilik for some reason.

4) (Sorry, Kikyo_of_Oregon, I just read your post about Kilik, are you my hubby in disguise because that sounds like him talking when I play him, hehe) Seriously though, it would have to be Maxi. He just annoys me for some reason. And Voldo creeps me out. Nightmare isn't too bad. He's a challenge, but he's suppose to be so it's ok.

5) Controllers don't really matter to me, and I play on the PS2 =)

Offline Keyta-Kun

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 09:18:25 am »
Quote from: "Radien"

Yeah

every other day, link, Kilik, sophitia and anyone I feel like... my cousin and mainly alone in the weapons mode.

I suck...--__--;; barely even made any progress despite how much I play... T__T  buttonmasher 'nuff said... fingers too slow...

That damn VOLDO!!! --__--# *&*&er pisses me off!!  What with that creepy soundin' breathin an all... well... all of his moves creep me out...

Gamecube... only platform I've got really... and no way I'll play in public... I'm a disgrace to the fighter community... T__T

Feel free to answer any of these questions that you wish. :) I'll post my own answers a little later.
Do you know who I think I am?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 10:03:56 pm »
1.) Yes, I play it.  Usually Kilik and that girl whose name starts with the X (Xian-something).  I've played against some people but I usually play alone.

2.) "meh" level.  I win some and I lose some.

3.) Yes to both questions but I like to keep my secrets to myself.  :wink:

4.) Voldo I dislike when he gets into a good combo attack.  Mutsurugi because a lot of people played as him on the arcade console I went to.

5.) I've played the arcade.  I've yet to play on another system.

Offline eerielunarose

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/eerielunarose/
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 12:03:46 am »
Yes, I play!

How often? Fairly often of late, not so much before that for a long while, though it was a bit more often when I first got it. It kind of comes and goes, the urge for playing fighting games.

Characters? I play lots of different characters in the game as the mood strikes, but I am trying to specialize in Talim, Xianghua, and Yoshimitsu. Because cute girls with big eyes and really weird dudes (at least ones who do not hiss and show off their package) are where it's at for me.

I play both against friends and alone.

I suck. I button mash.  But I always look to keep improving... someday I will be decent at it.

Most annoying or unfair characters? Taki blocks or counters too much and she can be a real annoyance in that aspect. Kilik combines a weapon that has long reach with swiftness and some really annoying combos. Voldo is fast and has combos that just don't quit... plus I just. hate. him. And then there is Ivy. Long range, and a really well-played Ivy can just destroy you.

I play X-Box, but only because that was what I had at the time. I am not impressed with Spawn. I have PS2 now, but the PS2-specific character is no incentive either. Link would be cool but I still don't own Gamecube. Well, at some point I'll go that route, no doubt.
Eerie Lunarose
Electronics Clerk (Beware my Register-fu!)
One Hour Photo Guru
Fully Fueled by Coffee

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 01:17:35 pm »
You play SC2, Eerie? Cool! If you want to get better at SC2, perhaps you could come join in sometime when I get friends together to play. :) In fact, I was going to have a party of sorts in the next couple of weeks. I'll give you the info sometime in case you're interested.

Apollo Justice

Offline eerielunarose

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/eerielunarose/
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 09:44:53 pm »
Quote from: "Radien"
You play SC2, Eerie? Cool! If you want to get better at SC2, perhaps you could come join in sometime when I get friends together to play. :) In fact, I was going to have a party of sorts in the next couple of weeks. I'll give you the info sometime in case you're interested.

(If you're playing it on GC, then I'd be taking a giant step backward as I hardly ever play that system, so I don't know about the learning, lol, as it takes me time to get into the mode of playing even on controllers/systems I know.) That aside, I'd love to, but of course it depends on my work schedule.
Eerie Lunarose
Electronics Clerk (Beware my Register-fu!)
One Hour Photo Guru
Fully Fueled by Coffee