Poll

what genera of story do you usually make?

Fantasy?
4 (26.7%)
Shonen?
0 (0%)
Shojo?
3 (20%)
factual?
0 (0%)
Adventure?
0 (0%)
Shonen-ai?
5 (33.3%)
Misc?
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: do you have any manga's your making? talk about them here! (no stealing idea's!)  (Read 15335 times)

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Okay,I've been working on  my Manga for about 2 months not and I was wondering if any other people were working on there own.
I've been planning to be a mangaka since I was in 4th grade so I had to come up with something.
My story has no title yet, but I figure I need a plot before so I can have my title revolve around that.
Anyways, share your manga idea's and please if you didn't come up with it don't be stealing. thanks :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:04:42 pm by Naruchan tebayo »
Next con: Kumori-con

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Well, I voted wrong, lol. But Kahlan and I are working on a graphic novel/manga about our semi-personas "Spooky & Ghoul", and their odd afterlife adventures. Dark, gothic humour mixed with the manga/graphic novel stylings with the occasional chibi break, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
that sounds like a pretty good idea, how far are you on it?

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
I'm currently working on many manga titles but one I'm working on is called "Two of One Blood" about a vampire slayer who is cursed by her mortal enemy and must find a cure in order to save the planet she is fighting to save. 

The series is rather long but it has many dramatic, scary, and action packed stories that follow Lena Rippenson, my main character and her journey to save the planet Nyrulous. 

I love the original Buffy the Vampire slayer movie so much that I wanted to take that general idea of the slayer and the watcher and take it one step further.  The series is great for any horror fan, anyone who likes violence and just good, old fashioned carnage with the constant slapstick humor I love.

I'm also working on a stand alone called "Dream Warrior Kurin" about a day dreamer named Shana who falls into her dreams ... litterally.  She meets a dream guardian named Kurin who needs Shana to protect the dreams of the living from a threat who is a big surprise to the readers.  The stand alone is only one volume but there are some spin-offs I plan to produce later on called The Venus Chronicles. 

Come by my booth at K-con and I'll share some sketches.
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
oh I would love that and your story seems very interesting! so are these published?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
heh, we're not very far at all. I do the writing and Kahlan does the drawing. So we have the first strip/section written, and Kahlan is trying to work on it. But between cosplay and work, she doesn't have much time for anything, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
I have an idea for a graphic novel which i have pitched to family and friends, which they seemed to like. It is very dark but still needs work. I also have a few anime story lines bouncing around in my head as well.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
I have a ton of ideas littered throughout my sketchbooks and idea journals.  The hard part for me is putting it down on paper.  I'm getting there though.  I've been doing a lot more work on my drawings and comic practice this summer.

As for the title, sometimes it can be the simplest thing or something you would totally not expect.  (Example: Bleach)  A few of my titles actually come from what I nicknamed my stories when I write them down.

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
I've been drawing non-stop all week, and I have part of my first chapter totally done, I've been working so hard XD
all of these story's sound awesome, feel free to share more when you want or can XD

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
I've always got some sort of idea bouncing around in my head. 90% of my ideas come up as Shounen-ai. I haven't really started working on the drawing part of my favorite project yet, other than character sketches. I have quite a bit down on paper as far as writing the story goes though.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
When I can get the money for a domain name, I'll be posting my webCOMIC (ahahah... I am American!).  It's a demented love story with a lot of flashbacks and gore and mutilations.  It starts off cute and LIEK OMG WE'RE EXPLORING STUFF but then it gets pretty dark, with..like, no more humor.  At all. 8D;;; But it's pretty complicated (leave it to the creator to say that!) so I don't think I could describe too much of the plot without giving it away.  Because it has a couple of climaxes and PLOT TWISTS!!!! except the beginning isn't exciting enoguh to describe.  It's called "Darkened Rose" and I'm not exactly sure why. 

I'm not sure where it fits.  It has some fantasy elements, but fantasy is such a happy word... I guess at its core, it's romance, but not, like, happy romance...

It has a shapeshifter in it, though!  And a ghost.  And Knights in impossible stretchy-yet-metal outfits! 8D; 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
I'd like to talk about my stories in detail here but chances are I'm not going to say anything unless I meet you in person.  I don't really want my ideas floating around online.

Offline StrawberryJeli

• Cabbit
    • http://strawberryjeli.deviantart.com
I'm in the scripting & concept drawing stage of making a webcomic. It's supernatural and shonen-ai. I'm hoping I'll have something online before the con.

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
sweet, you should put the link on here when you do, I would like to read it, and I promise I would not steal any of your Idea's, I have my own and it wouldn't be creative to be a thief, its nice to know other people have Idea's, mine is going to turn into a shonen-ai somewhere a long the like with my main character and his Roommate XD

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
well I get tons of ideas for manga's all the time but they usually don't very well. not like it drags on or anything I just never know how to end it. they're always misc though. romance, action, drama, etc. because that's how life is sometimes. lol
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
really random, but plurals don't have an apostraphe before the s... Just saying.  It's really bugging me. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
I have a comic (a baby story of mine) in the works, but only my friends know about it.  It's so original and something I've never heard of before, that even mentioning it's title is too much information.

I do however have comics I can mention.  Such as one called 'Magical Ninjagirl Dango' which is a magical girl/action/comedy starring anime-style anthro characters.

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
oh I would love that and your story seems very interesting! so are these published?

You mean mine?  Mine aren't published yet but angelsorrow.com is the place to check out my older series "Tainted Angel."  Tainted Angel was a series I did that was this alternate universe to a Dream Saga invention I made about goddess' who could merge with a human who's heart was in pain but a special power would be required to harness the power of the goddess they attracted. 

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Manga is its own plural, as are all Japanese words.  They are just manga.

I have several, but I'm a slack job so I never finish *sweatdrop*

*Resident Evil yaou fangils attack me to finish the job*

Yeah . . .

I have a really long novel I originally wrote as the script to a manga, but now it is just TOO long.  It'd be longer than DBZ and that's just too much XD
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
Manga is its own plural, as are all Japanese words.  They are just manga.

I have several, but I'm a slack job so I never finish *sweatdrop*

*Resident Evil yaou fangils attack me to finish the job*

Yeah . . .

I have a really long novel I originally wrote as the script to a manga, but now it is just TOO long.  It'd be longer than DBZ and that's just too much XD

Hell, I say go with it.  Naruto is getting to be as long if not longer than DBZ so go for it!

I really liked your "Boy-Love" comic.  You gotta get back on that one.  I could totally see Yaoi Press picking this one up. 

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Hell, I say go with it.  Naruto is getting to be as long if not longer than DBZ so go for it!
(The following post is not directed solely at MistressLegato, this is in general) (just so there's no misunderstanding)
You have to be careful with long manga series.  If the manga series does not become popular or a hit, the publishing company would probably ask for the series to be quickly wrapped up or cut.

One idea I have could fit into 3 volumes and can then stop there but I also have a sequel just in case.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
(The following post is not directed solely at MistressLegato, this is in general) (just so there's no misunderstanding)
You have to be careful with long manga series.  If the manga series does not become popular or a hit, the publishing company would probably ask for the series to be quickly wrapped up or cut.

One idea I have could fit into 3 volumes and can then stop there but I also have a sequel just in case.

I wouldn't publish with most of the english manga companies because they tend to be jerkoffs who screw with the artists *coughTOKYOPOPcough* so I would do it doujinshi style, slef-published.  That way it doesn't matter.

I'll never get to making it into a manga anyway

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl

I wouldn't publish with most of the english manga companies because they tend to be jerkoffs who screw with the artists *coughTOKYOPOPcough* so I would do it doujinshi style, slef-published.  That way it doesn't matter.
Oh, okay then.  Scratch what I said.

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
*edit*
can we delete posts?
I changed my mind.  I'm still not comfortable talking about it.  ^^;
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:42:49 am by misamisa »
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Out of curiosity MistressLegato, what did you mean by that when you mentioned... ... cleared your throat in your last post?

Offline spaztic_chu

• Cabbit
    • art.
Out of curiosity MistressLegato, what did you mean by that when you mentioned... ... cleared your throat in your last post?
It's all over the internet actually.  Tokyopop came out with a contract that screwed over the rights of anyone who signed a comic artist/writer contract with them.  http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-28/tokyopop-manga-pilot-pact-signs-away-legal-rights  I can't find the better discussions of it right now. >___>

This might be slightly off topic but... right I'm taking a comic-making class that happens to be run by a Dark Horse editor, and they seem pretty cool.  (The class is being run by my college, not Dark Horse.)

As far as length of story submission, she recommended submitting a one-shot first (one chapter or up to one volume), instead of trying to pitch your whole epic to them anyway.  It's a matter of commitment; if you can hold up your end of the bargain with just the one-shot, they will be more likely to accept the long-term commitment with your long story.

They also insisted that you keep on submitting to them (or any other submissions department for any other publisher) often.  Not so much flooding their mail with submissions and querries on whether or not they've looked at it, but periodically.  If you have any sort of promise, they keep your stuff on file, and if you're genuinely improving, they'll see it.

She also said that self-publishing is indeed a good way to get started.  It lets you practice and get used to deadlines and technique before actually landing the job.  Also important, if you can generate enough fanbase with your self-publishing, they'd more readily agree signing you in.  Dark Horse just signed the webcomic Applegeeks, and they have a few other webcomics.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
It's all over the internet actually.  Tokyopop came out with a contract that screwed over the rights of anyone who signed a comic artist/writer contract with them.  http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-28/tokyopop-manga-pilot-pact-signs-away-legal-rights  I can't find the better discussions of it right now. >___>

This might be slightly off topic but... right I'm taking a comic-making class that happens to be run by a Dark Horse editor, and they seem pretty cool.  (The class is being run by my college, not Dark Horse.)

As far as length of story submission, she recommended submitting a one-shot first (one chapter or up to one volume), instead of trying to pitch your whole epic to them anyway.  It's a matter of commitment; if you can hold up your end of the bargain with just the one-shot, they will be more likely to accept the long-term commitment with your long story.

They also insisted that you keep on submitting to them (or any other submissions department for any other publisher) often.  Not so much flooding their mail with submissions and querries on whether or not they've looked at it, but periodically.  If you have any sort of promise, they keep your stuff on file, and if you're genuinely improving, they'll see it.

She also said that self-publishing is indeed a good way to get started.  It lets you practice and get used to deadlines and technique before actually landing the job.  Also important, if you can generate enough fanbase with your self-publishing, they'd more readily agree signing you in.  Dark Horse just signed the webcomic Applegeeks, and they have a few other webcomics.

Thanks you :)  That saved me from typing XD