Author Topic: Mt St Helens advice  (Read 9810 times)

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Mt St Helens advice
« on: October 05, 2004, 10:29:56 am »
Because the mountain is about to blow, I figured there should be some advice for those of us living anywhere near the area.

1. If someone asks you to evacuate DO IT!!!  Truman was cool because he had been living there all his life, and was 80 years old.  Him facing down the mountain and flipping it the bird is something old people do.  I'm assuming most of us is younger than 80, and haven't lived near the mountain their entire lives.

2. Don't flock to the mountain when it looks like it will explode any minute.  The gene pool needs chlorinating every now and then, but this is jus pure stupidity. ^.^;

3. If there is a heavy ash cloud in your area, wear a paper face mask/damp hankerchief.  It will help your breathing.

4. Water all the ash in your yard.  This will help keep it from getting flung into the air.

5. FOR THE LOVE OF ANIME DON'T FLOCK TO THE FREAKING MOUNTAIN TO SEE THE EXPLOSION 'FIRST HAND'!!! >.<

6. Try to restrict your driving, as volcanic ash farks up engines royally.

7. Collect ash and sell it to stupid tourists for big bucks.  Watch your anime collection grow. ^.^ (Not kidding, it's how some kids in college at the time earned spare cash, selling jars of ash for $20.)

8. Throw all Rings of Power into the Mountain of Fire to save Middle Earth.

For your SAFE viewing pleasure: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 11:12:49 am »
2. Don't flock to the mountain when it looks like it will explode any minute. The gene pool needs chlorinating every now and then, but this is jus pure stupidity

dont u think if they go there they eanred it? :P

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 02:17:31 pm »
Amen, sister. ^_^

I live right underneath the stupid thing (40 miles from the crater, that's a ways, but that's still close enough to get covered...Spirit Lake is just 15 or something miles up the road...), and the tourists are non-stop right now....All the hotels and wot in this town are booked.  

People are stupid.  

But....If you do come to see the Mt....ehh, on second thought, no...was going to suggest an Anime watching at my place, but I think that would only encourage the "chlorination"....>_>

-ko

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 03:05:02 pm »
Ruriko...like they said.  If they ask you to evacuate...please do.  You're way too cool to lose to the chlorination of the gene pool via exploding mountain.  ^_^

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 03:17:47 pm »
Awww, thanks Hikaru/Duo...^_^  

No stress, we'll leave if they tell us to, but luckily, they've stopped evacuation 20 miles from us...>_>  At least, that's what I understand.  ^_^  I know we've not been told to leave yet.  So, until then, we're dealing with stupid people camped out on the roadside waiting for the thing to go up.....  *grumble*

-ko

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 06:09:28 pm »
Yeah, I know the feeling.  I've been hearing about some people at school wanting to have a field trip up there.  On the bright side, the person in charge is smart enough to wait and see what's happening with the volcano before cementing any plans.

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 04:26:18 am »
Its a sad day in human history when you need to be given instructions on how to run away from explodiing ash and such.

Seriously, I think if someone is stupid enough to GO there, let 'em be, its obvious comprehension is not one of their skills.

Three words can some up any and all directions needed for this.

Run like hell.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 05:56:49 am »
sing on
i know i was watch tourists gushing about how great it was being there and  turn to link i tell him "if you are ever on vacation and a valcanos gonna pop get your ass home, or far as posible like say nearest anime con
i'm takeing a wilderness survivel class this term and the teach was nuts about it, talking about heading up there
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 08:38:20 am »
*sigh*  Too true. ^_^

I think the most of them are figuring that it's keen to run up there because she's only spitting out a little bit of ash and some steam every morning.  But honestly, you can turn on any news station or hit just about any webpage to get all the information you can possibly stand on the Mountain.  

If you're not one of us poor saps stuck underneath of it due to the fact that we built our house here, stay away from the area, at least till she goes back to sleep for a bit.  *Then* come and visit.  

Besides, due to all the "tourists" coming up here and looking, everything is jammed fuller than Disneyland in July.  It'd be pointless.  You wouldn't see anything anyways.

-ko

Offline Hazard

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • @hazarcl
Re: Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 10:21:35 am »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"

Middle Earth needs to die. Everybody except Golum and Gandalf.....Legolas can just come to my house.
It can't rain all the time.

Offline Hazard

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • @hazarcl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 10:22:04 am »
My mom was on the mountain when it exploded.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Re: Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 10:39:27 am »
Quote from: "Hazard"
Quote from: "princessfrodo"

Middle Earth needs to die. Everybody except Golum and Gandalf.....Legolas can just come to my house.

*Gollum Gollum*
Quote from: "Hazard"

My mom was on the mountain when it exploded.

That had to suck.

My Grandpa took pictures from the air. ^.^

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 10:42:12 am »
The best thing i could say for you guys is  well remember, lava not candy
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 10:44:58 am »
another thing i could say is well hmm if it is candy i wonder what it taste like

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 11:00:34 am »
ooouuu know it would taste like pop rocks mixed with coke, mmmmm, hey speaking of, has any one else ever mixed coke and pepsi together? i always feel like it should expload, and am disapointed when it dosen't
doom doom doom i go home know :)

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 11:25:16 am »
hmm pepsi sucks coke rocks but pepsi has better products like mtn dew yum

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 01:40:15 pm »
I agree with Ruriko.  If you don't happen to be unlucky enough to live underneath the mountain, STAY  AWAY!  Go to Disneyland and cosplay as Kingdom Hearts characters....go visit japan (wait, islands are formed by volcanoes....stay as far away from Hawaii as possible......).  Or....got to Anime Expo.  I think Los Angeles is far enough away for you to be safe....^_^

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 04:52:15 pm »
I was two when it blew up  last time, and living in Spokane. I can't see going all the way up there to see some smoke and ash. WHHHHHEEEEEEE!!!!!!! ash, OMG Ash rocks!!!. Some people are too easily amused.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 06:20:50 am »
i don't have any natural disaster memories , i missed helens by 2 years , i do remeber this one time when i was little in medford there was a big thunder storm and we lost power, so parents took us kids out side to watch (safe huh?) i was piss at the time cuz the pop-pull movie was on t.v when we lost power

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 08:53:44 am »
actuly now that i think about it if a valcaNO WAS BLOWIN IN MY BACK YARD I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO SAY TOSS ME THE MASRSHMELLOS
i wonder if marshmellos and pocky taste like smores?

Offline Daystar

• Secretary
  • Sailor Scout
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 09:18:29 am »
i wasnt even born when it went in 1980... yup i missed it by 7 years but if i could watch it explode (with no danger to myself and others) trust me i would... i'm a geology geek and its not every day you see a mountain go boom... btw volcanic ash is good for the ground, and plants so if it does hit you rejoice for the sake of you garden lol.

did you know that a school district out in yamhill let out school for the day when it first blew this year? my partents say that yamhill is as far away from portland as portland is from st helens...
'04 Volunteer
'05 Assistant to the Operations Director
'06 Info Booth
'07 Panels Staff
'08 Panels Coordinator
'09 Panels Coordinator
'10 Assistant Programming Director
'11 Assistant Programming Director
'12 Assistant Programming Director

Offline Hazard

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • @hazarcl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 10:57:56 am »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
actuly now that i think about it if a valcaNO WAS BLOWIN IN MY BACK YARD I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO SAY TOSS ME THE MASRSHMELLOWS
i wonder if marshmellows and pocky taste like smores?

Mmmmmm....Can I join? :P We can take giant pockys and use them as the roasting sticks so everything melts together and ya just eat it....I wonder what burnt pocky tastes like.......  :?  :D  :lol:

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 01:49:10 pm »
Yeah, Yamhill is way way south of where I live and I'm 25 miles WEST of Portland. I guess they though the ash might cause problems for the buses, it's a pretty remote town and the kids are mostly from farms. So ash clouds clogging engines would be a MAJOR issue for them.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 05:52:48 pm »
There were reports of ash fall all around the world after the 5/1980 eruption, though those were varying from minute ash particles to light dustings in most places.

Yakima's comment: WTF, mate?

^.^

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2004, 12:00:39 am »
Well, aren't we all glad the mountain hasn't made up it's mind yet. I tried to get a view of the first eruption last week.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2004, 10:50:10 am »
for lack of giant pocky sticks and valcano i shall have to try with mini marshmellows and my habachi grill

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2004, 05:27:00 pm »
for lack of giant pocky sticks and valcano i shall have to try with mini marshmellows and my habachi grill

Mt St Helens 3: Revenge of the Habachi Flames!

^.^

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 11:02:57 am »
hmm lava

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
MMmmmmm Selenium flavor...
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2004, 04:38:03 am »
actuly now that i think about it if a valcaNO WAS BLOWIN IN MY BACK YARD I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO SAY TOSS ME THE MASRSHMELLOS
i wonder if marshmellos and pocky taste like smores?

Of course, just like choosing hickory versus mesquite, the smoke imparts a flavor, and H2S, Se, and a random blend of metal oxides would make for an interesting tweak, mmmmm.

- G

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Mt St Helens advice
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2004, 06:08:29 am »
hmmm i know!! my teacher once showed us how flamible dounuts are!! impar the delishisness of it into pocky smors, i'd used choco glazed old fashiond with pink sprinkles,  old fasiond kind has lots of craters, sraters burn real good, and pay no attention to the cryin vash in the corner