Author Topic: Steel blade question!  (Read 2004 times)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
Steel blade question!
« on: July 10, 2008, 03:56:01 pm »
The master sword i have for my link costume has a steel blade with a poly-resin handle. I ground the blade so I can't cut myself with it, even when I run my hand down the length with a bit of pressure. How dull will it have to be to be allowed in?

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: Steel blade question!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:02:03 pm »
As long as it's steel (even stage steel), I think the policy is that you can't have it. You'll have to keep it in the sheath... Or not at all. I'onno, ask someone who knows.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 07:17:29 pm »
You do have to keep it in he sheath. They will peace bond it to the sheath so you can't pull it out. If you don't have a sheath......well then you might want to look for a plastic or wood one.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »
so as long as we keep it in the sheath its OK?? cuz the sword really completes the costume for us!! (my older brother bought them for us cuz he's leaving, and he would be sad if we couldn't use them! :'()
We don't mind not drawing them, i just wanna make sure i can have them!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 07:40:29 pm »
I understand completely. You need the sword for the costume. But yeah if it is sheathed then it's ok. Also for the picnic you will want to bring the sheath too. I'm not too sure but I think it is a law in Oregon (no live steel)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 07:48:15 pm »
its not live and has a REALLY nice sheath...also its like 4 feet long so when its on my back i can't draw it by myself! (its ALWAYS on my back!)
I think the one he got is the one that is sold on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Twilight-Princess-Zelda-Video-Game-Link-Master-Sword_W0QQitemZ160257915983QQihZ006QQcategoryZ43337QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:53:53 pm »
wow that is very nice. How much did your brother have to pay for that. It looks expensive.

Offline Rude

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:56:12 pm »
They can count as Live Steel being steel period. Crowbars have no real edge to them but you still can't have them. Same thing applies for metal poles, batons, katars, shurukin, ect ect.

While "live" in the sci fi con circut means battle grade/edged weapons every major anime con I have yet heard of... Kumori, Sakura, Anime Evo, Anime Expo, ect all have the same policy. It's to much liability.

Basically it's their call on any prop once you get to con. As a note though, I made a half joke about peace bonding my gloves... me cosplaying Rude and his weapons being fists... I was heavily discouraged against it because if at any point I were to raise my hands in any way that could seem hostile, IE posing in the boxing pose from the game, it would count as breaking policy for peace bonded items and could be taken as an attack... evicting me from said con and possible legal actions.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:04:00 pm by Rude »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:00:32 pm »
Thats what I though. A friend of mine bought a sword at kcon and even though it wasn't sharp they still had to peace bond it to the sheath. If you have the sheath you are fine. I doubt they have changed the rules. If you go to the kumoricon.org somewhere on the site there is rules and regulations.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:25:08 pm »
I don't know how much he spent, but he wanted to get us somthing before he left for collage ;D!
Anyway... I plan to keep it in the sword in the sheath, So i guess that isn't a problem!!

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:52:21 pm »
Thanks so much!