Author Topic: Chest binding problems...help? O.O  (Read 5682 times)

Offline sekitan bun

• Sailor Scout
Chest binding problems...help? O.O
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:02:39 pm »
The ever most uncomfortable thing..the binding of chests in cosplay.
I have been making a lot of threads lately, but I just have so many questions!
I particularily need help with binding my breasts for my cosplay.
Until now I've just let it slide, but they just get in the way with so much.. I mean Soubi with boobs...doesn't work (I was him for 07)
I need help possibly finding something good with binding my breasts with, and where I can get it.
Yes, I have already tried ace bandage, it sticks, it hurts to peel off...just...eek.
I am a DDcup....I hate it. But there's something I also hate even more...cosplaying as I girl.
I find so much enjoyment in cosplaying as a guy (BIG yaoi lover) I can't even THINK of a girl that I want to cosplay as.
A waste you say? yeah I know very well myself. TT-TT
SO can anyone help me with this? I've always wanted to know where I can get the really wide wrapping bandages (ussually they're really close to skin color) cause if it were small like ace bandage it would take a lot more.

I really need your guy's advice, cause when I cosplayed as Kanda, my wigwouldn't go up in a high pony tail and my boobs were'nt even bound...it was craptacular (and the cosplay was so expensive too)
This year I'm getting a new wig for Kanda (hopefully if I have enough money left) and I'm going to bind those big blobs for all my cosplays.
Cosplays 09:
Sebastian Michaelis-kuroshitsujiKarren-code geass

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Chest binding problems...help? O.O
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:35:03 pm »
Well one thing that works really well is to wear a few sports bras then use the ace bandage. There are some that have clips and it doesn't stick to itself so that may help. I am going as Youji from Loveless and the shirt I have is baggy enough where I only have to wear a sports bra and no wrap.

But hay my first year I made the mistake of not having a wrap and I really wanted one. So I decided to use duct tape. ;_; Bad bad bad idea.....it was too tight and I have to take it off with in 10 minutes of putting it on. Not one of the brightest moments in my life

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:37:30 pm »
I use Ace bandages, actually, and I'm a 38DDD. If I slouch like a guy, I look like I have a flat chest. But, of course, I have to bind so tight that it feels as though I'm about to break a rib... Or two... But it gets the job done. Kind of. Sort of. I use duct tape in conjunction with the bandages. The duct tape holds the boobage in place so they don't become a uniboob, and the bandages flatten 'em.

Offline Ouka-chan

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:06:54 pm »
I totally know how this goes.  And those wider wraps that you're talking about, well, most stores have them available in their first aid section...if you look for ankle wrap rolls, that's the stuff... (haha, never thought spraining my ankle so much would be useful)
If you want to try using Ace bandages again...the sports bra then bandage method works really well too....
;D 08': My first Kumoricon EVAR
~Secret Cosplay~
Shiki: The World Ends With You [Subarashiki Kono Sekai]
Haha lazy...more like fickle!

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:31:38 pm »
One thing to remember about Ace bandages though, is that they actually CAN snap your ribs. It's your body, so do with it as you will, but just a word of caution. ^^;

Also, there's a HUGE binding thread over in the cosplay.com forums with all sorts of tips and tricks to getting boobs of all sizes down. I would skim through that for more ideas. It really all depends on what works best for you. I never got Ace binding to work for me (I'm a C or D ish), but I did get duct tape over a sports bra to work once. This year I'm gonna buy a compression shirt cuz I'm lazy and don't want to spend time wrapping myself up every morning. XP So try stuff out until you find one that works for you. Hope that helps!
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:49:51 am »
I really don't have to do too much to get mine down. I have been blessed with B cups ^_^

Offline sekitan bun

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:15:55 am »
One thing to remember about Ace bandages though, is that they actually CAN snap your ribs. It's your body, so do with it as you will, but just a word of caution. ^^;

Also, there's a HUGE binding thread over in the cosplay.com forums with all sorts of tips and tricks to getting boobs of all sizes down. I would skim through that for more ideas. It really all depends on what works best for you. I never got Ace binding to work for me (I'm a C or D ish), but I did get duct tape over a sports bra to work once. This year I'm gonna buy a compression shirt cuz I'm lazy and don't want to spend time wrapping myself up every morning. XP So try stuff out until you find one that works for you. Hope that helps!
thanks everyone! I've tried a sports bra with ace...it worked once.
and don't feel bad, I've duct taped myself once too XD it was once going to the mall and my friend BEGGED me to pretend to be her boyfriend and so I thought it would be fun (which later on that year she confessed her love to me, and I had to politely refuse...I'm complete utter straight)
Sooo, yeah I replied to this one cause I was wondering if you can give me a link to that thread? pleeease? -puppy eyes-
thanks for the help!...a squeeze shirt doesn't sound too bad either (like in hana kimi)
that a good idea
Cosplays 09:

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:31:59 am »
I'm glad it helped. I hate doing it myself so I am trying to find more female characters that I like so I don't have to. Unfortunately most of the characters I like are guys v.v

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 09:38:53 am »
Ouch, ace bandages are sooo uncomfortable. I used to use them but one of my friends suggested that I use binders from: http://www.underworks.com/products.html#996

This page should have some of the chest binders on it. Personally I've used the tri top chest binder and the double front compression shirt. I have a DD cup as well and it makes me pretty darn flat. They're actually pretty comfy too, and stretch for breathing purposes. XD

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:19 am »
Oh boy, do I feel for ya. I'm a 34DD and it's always a hassle while crossplaying. =/
I always use a sports bra and ace bandages too, but almost passed out once due to lack of oxygen xD
(I shouldn't have asked my friend to wrap it so tight >.< ).
Good luck to you though.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:03:08 pm »
one thing i might suggest is a ballet leotard, i had one for ballet and it smooched my boobes down pretter well, (no the goal) a plus is you dont have to worry about doing a fan service on acident
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 04:29:26 pm »
Chest binding sounds painful....
D:

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 05:18:52 pm »
as an alternate resource,  you may want to ck out www.crossplay.net besides cosplay.com
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 09:44:06 pm »
Yeah, B here, but, dammit, I'm not done growing yet. I'm just about a C. XD I would suggest, like said before, either a biding tank top[which will run a pretty penny], or LOTS of sports bras.

Offline ~X~Hyuuga Neji~X~

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 03:01:10 pm »
Ah, something bad I've had to deal with as well XD My suggestion is to order a binder that fits well from www.t-kingdom.com and then purchase a large back brace. Or, if money is no issue, the way that I've had most success with is ordering one binder from there that fits and then getting a size down! The best one for large busted people is model 1700, I think, because its like a shirt and you can tuck it into your pants so there's not a lot of showing you're wearing one. :D

This is pathetic....We're cracking up over a sadistic BIRD...

Offline sekitan bun

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 04:10:11 pm »
yeah, My mom has a girdle and she let me try it on today, I tried it on over my chest and it did rather well (I could breathe!) It worked JUST as well as binding does (maybe a little better actually) but I'm thinking about getting a size smaller cause my mum's a little plump. but she said she got it from Walmart for about 12 bucks, so if that helps anyone else...
But still! thanks for the help you guys! more suggestions are still appreciated! my transactions aren't final!
Cosplays 09:

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 10:40:12 pm »
Here's the cosplay.com binding thread: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709
You can look through that for the tips for bigger cup sizes, or just skim. There's a lot of interesting ideas in there. ^^

As for binding shirts, I think most people get them from here: http://www.underworks.com
That's the site that seems to be suggested the most other places.

Hope that helps! ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 02:27:51 pm »
Ok along the same lines. I need help with my own chest binding. I have an ace bandage and it works really well but the problem is that one of my costumes is showing my stomach and when I bind my chest it pushes fat to my stomach making my really nice toned stomach look horrible. Is there anything I can do to stop this or am I just going to have to wear a bunch of sports bras and deal with the slight boob action?

I also thought about putting the sports bras on and instead of taping all the way around just taping the front, maybe then the fat will be pushed to my back x.x

Offline jupiter13_00

• Chibi
    • Fanarts
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 03:56:17 pm »
Well me and my little nearly A cup boobs may not know your pain... but let me give you a warning because of something that happened to a friend. Be careful that no matter what you use, to not wrap too tightly. Or that you take break to let your chest get some stretching. If you don't, you may cause yourself to vomit. ^^; I've seen it happen... she spent the whole day in binding, five mintues after she removed it she puked. Too much restriction can cause less air intake so after removal the sudden intake of more air causes that.

Good luck in your search and be careful. :3
KumoriCon 2010

Did you see us? Me and my Boyfriend were the Eyesheild 21 cosplayers.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 04:00:43 pm »
Yeah I will keep that in mind. However, if I only bind half my chest it wont restrict air flow as much (it still will but not as much), but I need to try it out first. I have no idea if it is going to work or now. I don't have any tape here so I'll have to wait for the weekend when I can get home and try it.

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 06:48:39 pm »
I don't think binding halfway would work, cuz the bra would just stretch. Not sure though. What you could try is a variation of the "man cleavage" thing in the binding thread I posted above. Basically, you tape your boobs out to the side (with sports tape of course), and then you could squish them more with the ace if you don't need to show your chest. I don't know if that made any sense, but they explain it really well in the thread. XD;;
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 07:04:10 pm »
So i've developed my own method for binding after trying the extra-wide Ace bandages which tended to slip down and need redoing which can be difficult to do in a public bathroom. For reference I'm a B-cup so I'm not sure how safe/effective this would be for larger peoples. But I got some of the padding stuff that Sports Therapists use to keep the tape from sticking to skin, it only sticks to itself, and some athletic tape. I first put on a sports bra, than I wrap the padding stuff around the entire area, ie from as high as it'll go down to the bottom of my ribs. Than I take the athletic tape and squash the buggers down.
Pluses: No Slippage, and tape doesn't make contact with sensitive skin
Minuses: more $$$ than just tape, can't breathe deeply, one use only.

EDIT: so I did my wrapping for a class project, and I decided to take pictures for you people. This is how I bind, effective but your ribs do ache at the end of the day. http://wildmage007.deviantart.com/art/Majik-Bobs-87808357
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:40:23 pm by majinekochan »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 07:31:52 pm »
That would work but once again I come with the problem of organs and fat moving to my stomach which I'll be showing and my stomach need to look toned and not like cottage cheese.

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 08:34:38 pm »
If done right there shouldn't be much fat squished southward, but if you're still worried about it, I'd suggest the "Man Cleavage" way as well although it can be difficult to do without assistance.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 08:50:08 pm »
Is there another description of it somewhere, the one given was rather confusing.

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 07:03:46 am »
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709&page=5 second post down goes into more detail on how to do this.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 08:57:48 am »
Thanks for the link. I'm sure that will work. I try it out over the weekend.