Author Topic: D-Gray Man at seventy-something eps? (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
D-Gray Man at seventy-something eps? (Possible Spoilers)
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:04:44 am »
I haven't started watching this one yet, but IMHO, and given my own personal preferences about story scope and pacing, I can name only two or three series that went much past 2 seasons (26 eps) that were really WORTH the extra time to me. I just happen to like strong, coherent endings. One longer story I enjoyed was 'Monster,' and another was 'Juuni Kokki' (12 Kingdoms.) Most everything else that was longer than 26 eps I kinda bailed on once story lost its intensity: (possible spoilers, at least in part)

Bleach: Bailed after ep 26. Soul Society was taking too long; it became Ichigo vs. bad-guy of the week mode. Wanted to see more of Kon, but alas. It's up to 160 or so eps, so I called that one RIGHT.

DBZ: Didn't start it, but for a different personal preference: I don't like watching baby-headed characters. (Which is also why I'm one of the minority in anime fandom who did *not* enjoy 'Akira.') DBZ has three hundred gajillion eps, starting from the mid 1970s.

Kaleido Star: Watched this until Sora gets all conflicted and quits the troupe to 'find herself' or whatever, and she fell in with some 'off-brand' troupe. I never made it back.

One Piece: Bailed after ep 3. Over three hundred eps now, so another I called RIGHT.

Tokyo Mew-Mew: Could have been 26 eps. Should have been.

Detective Conan. Didn't even start it. I prejudged this one on its drawing style, guessing that the boy character couldn't POSSIBLY entertain me for two-hundred and something eps or more.

Anything Takahashi - She even stated that her style is never to finish her stories, so Ranma and Inu-yasha are OUT.

SO, NOW MY QUESTION: D-Gray Man is over seventy eps and counting. Is the story that good and longstanding?
What do you think?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: D-Gray Man at seventy-something eps? (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:12:47 am »
I don't know about Grey Man, but I'm curious if you watched or enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist. That being a slightly longer-than-normal anime at about 56 episodes.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 12:44:47 pm »
  Like the rest, if you want advancing plot, you need to read the Japanese manga ( according to the manga) I do know quite a few spoilers, none of which have been brought up at all in the anime.

On this note; I just finished watching ep 71 and at the end was yelling " SO WHERE THE HELL IS KANDA?"

*rant*

I really dont like many of the characters but I freackin love Kanda and he seems to have disappeared for the majority of the series Where is he and when the hell is he coming back? Im sick of watching the retards. >_<
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:31:54 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:40:40 pm »
I agree with the rant about COOL characters who WENT AWAY EARLY and NEVER CAME BACK !!!
My example: Kurofune Ballad (Melody of Oblivion) Best lookin' man in the series and he fades early on us. Arrrgh!
Please don't be a Tom Bombadil!

Meanwhile, let me add on two more tl/bail shows:

MAR (Marchen Awakens Romance) Things were moving a little slow anyways, I wanted to se him go back and forth between the 'norma' vs alterante world. Next thing you know you have 5 good guys but the bad-boss won't come out and meet them, instead the sends 5 minions to play a champions bout. Next thing you know it turn into a refereed game in which each person fights a different opponent. So I think "Five opponents squared is TWENTY-FIVE eps of bout-of-the-week before we can move on with the plot?!?!? Bye-beeeeee..."

Flame of Recca (also >26 eps.) Bailed after the good guys - they felt like the Scooby-Doo gang routing nasties - were just about finishing the ghoulies off room by room in ONE mansion - next go for the bad guy with the creepy smile and WHOOPS he escapes to some far off interdimensional whatever. OK this will take FAR to many eps for them to track this guy down, and I hated him enough that I wanted him sizzled quicker than that. Bail.

Lastly, to answer about FMA, I made it past the halfway-point of ep ONE, and ditched it for an entirely different reason: The kid (Edward?) kept insisting "there is no God, there is no God" all the time, and my reaction was - "Fine - that's his opinion. MY opinion is <DELETE> that this twit and his story are not ENTERTAINING to me..."

Your mileage may vary...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 06:43:56 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 12:48:01 pm »
D.Grey Man is worth watching, the characters are evolving all the time and they are not afraid to kill off likeable characters. Oh and by the way if you want to see kanda just watch the next two episodes. I still watch Bleach every week and it has not let me down.

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 04:00:27 am »
wow i didn't know d-gray man had that many episodes. i wanted to watch it, but i'll watch this thread to see what other people say. i'm also not one for super long anime and the ones i love best are usually around 26 episodes. except for a few. such as gundam wing (51 eps i think?) has a great story and characters, and i love the animation. also deathnote (37 eps i think...) which is just plain amazing.

i really loved fma. if you can get past the stuff you don't like in the first episode and just kinda tune out those parts if it bothers you that much, then the series is really amazing. if you could just kinda plug your ears when ed says things like that, then you may like the rest of the show, but that's just my opinion.

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 03:46:31 pm »
D.Grey Man is worth watching, the characters are evolving all the time and they are not afraid to kill off likeable characters. Oh and by the way if you want to see kanda just watch the next two episodes. I still watch Bleach every week and it has not let me down.

*Spoilers*

The next two episodes? From what Iv'e seen in the manga, he doesnt return until Allen brings them all back with that song. Arent the next few eps one giant retard battle?
( ie annoying girly vampire whom I couldn't care less about vs even more irritating than Road, Lavi, and Linalee the Earl put together- twin Noah..things?

*End spoiler*

Bleach.......oi. Apparently, I hate Ichigo SO much that I had a dream  where I seriously showed him up. It was epic, but this is the wrong thread. XD