Author Topic: How far do you go?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
How far do you go?
« on: April 19, 2008, 08:05:48 pm »
A lot of cosplayers go to great lengths to get their costumes perfect, not even overlooking minor details. Some people might call it overboard, but does anyone here take it further, such as getting the right piercings, getting into shape or lose weight, cut their hair, tattoos, etc.?
I've seen a Cloud cosplayer in ACen pull out an Omnislash MAD fast (same timing and slashes as the original)! And even a Kenshin cosplayer get real stitches for the scar on his face! There's a certain .... um .... awe to it?
What kind of things do you do, or have seen other people do?

Offline GaaraoftheFunk

• Sailor Scout
Re: How far do you go?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:37:51 pm »
I lost weight for my SnJ cosplay.
I dyed my hair.
Its not too big,But eh.

But i would cut my hair for cosplay.
I would get piercings for them,And tattoos.
Why not..?
It could be fun. :3

Offline Vassa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:43:56 am »
Dieting is the most I'm doing for my cosplay right now.
I'm thinking about cutting my hair.
Mayybe piercings... >.>

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:46:06 am »
Well, "costume" is only half of cosplay, too. There are some people that have practiced special moves, walking and talking, and studying a backstory so much it's almost scary.

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:46:08 pm »
I think my favorite is when L cosplayers stay in-character for the ENTIRE con. XD

As for me and my friends, we look up details on the characters and how they act, but that doesn't mean we're very successful in acting like them. : P
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline Yunie_chan

• Oni
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 09:30:29 pm »
I think my favorite is when L cosplayers stay in-character for the ENTIRE con. XD

As for me and my friends, we look up details on the characters and how they act, but that doesn't mean we're very successful in acting like them. : P

I am so with you on the L thing - it's what i'm most excited about... not going to lie. ><

My friends and I are also doing the same things you are, but we aren't too worried about it. So long as you get a few key moves and and get their personality down, it's all you need. There is no way I could be 100% Yuna for three whole days... no way... >.> <.<
NEXT CON: Kumoricon 2009

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:16:48 pm »
 Well, I just dyed my hair permanent jet black.

I have never, EVER had it black before. Its usually BRIGHT red ( For Renji cosplay) this year Im going as Kanda AND chibi Byakuya (from the Manga) I realized my hair is cut exactly like Byakuyas so I just said 'hell with it' and dyed my hair. It will take some getting used to, but this makes it MUCH easier to both characters at once.

Aaand it isn't exactly costumes, but it was convention/cosplay games.
Last year I got a kidney transplant five days before Sakuracon. I was supposed to be in the cosplay chess game and I really didnt want to let them down.

So, after a morning at yelling at the nurses for taking too damned long to discharge me, I walked to the convention from the hospital ( it was only a few blocks after all)
I just wish I had cosplayed as Kanda at THAT con. That would have been epic! XD

Offline ~X~Hyuuga Neji~X~

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 07:01:53 pm »

Rofl, I love thinking about how L cosplayers stay in character because then I can cackle maniacally thinking about how much their backs are probably going to hurt XD

And as for me...Well, I've lost some weight for cosplay, I try to get a basic concept of how the character I'm cosplaying would act, and I've been known defy my usual desire to remain uninjured if my cosplay calls for something like, I don't know, very tall geta?

This is pathetic....We're cracking up over a sadistic BIRD...

Offline Bundyangel

• Sailor Scout
    • Bundyangel15's Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 08:41:29 pm »
I've only cosplayed once so its not anything serious. But i wore these shoes for namine from KHII that were so harmful to me feet, i didnt even go to the masquerade the second day bcause it hurt to walk. and then i put them on again the 3rd day.

After the con i basically couldnt walk for a day and a half because it hurt so much. dumb pretty heels >.>

I'm also considering dying my regular hair bright pink to cosplay sakura and simply buy a wig for temari =/

Quote from: ThiefKingsHeir
Aaand it isn't exactly costumes, but it was convention/cosplay games.
Last year I got a kidney transplant five days before Sakuracon. I was supposed to be in the cosplay chess game and I really didnt want to let them down.

So, after a morning at yelling at the nurses for taking too damned long to discharge me, I walked to the convention from the hospital ( it was only a few blocks after all)
I just wish I had cosplayed as Kanda at THAT con. That would have been epic! XD

Are you kidding me?! after a kidney transplant?! Thats friggen AMAZING.

Cosplay of Kcon '07:
Naminé - KHII
Cosplay for Kcon '08:
Cosplay for Kcon '09

Didn't Happen

Cosplay for Kcon '10
Sakura Kinomoto - 10%
Pokemon Gijinka - 0%

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 12:30:17 am »
Right now, I'm growing my hair out again so I can get L's style right....... and would a Naruto wig be interchangeable with that of Zatch Bell's?

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Naleh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 01:25:34 am »
Hmm I was not in character as an ANBU at all during K-con last year and Sakuracon... heh heh... I don't think Anbu would hang out with Akatsuki members even going as far as playing pattycake with their blond explosion expert...But this year...this year I shall try and be like Tobi...which won't be too hard. I kind of act like him anyway... ^_^0
I'm not getting my hair like him though... O.o0 I don't want my hair that short, so I got a wig. And if we ever see his face before the con I shall do my best to draw the marks for it. Yay! XD
K-con 08-
ANBU! (Rawr!)
Tobi :D

Remember kids! An apple a day, keeps the Shinigami sane!

Also please don't hate the plantman....Zetsu's a people person. (nomnomnom XD)

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 01:56:09 pm »
I'm currently in a workout class at my college that I'm using to get back into decent shape. I'm also going to be swimming religiously (as in very often) this summer to keep it up. Cause I am in no way decent shape for the costumes I want to wear. (Thief King Bakura, Dark "DN Angel", and Heero Yuy-Gundam wing)

Damn flabby stomach! *pokes the fat*
-Bakura
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline sekitan bun

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 12:03:03 pm »
I'm sort of a perfectionist when it comes to cosplay too.
I do everything that's in my power to make my cosplay perfect ^._.^
mainly cut my hair and lose weight. ( I don't think I'll ever gain weight for one though)
I usually always need the eye color right too, so I always get the contacts.
Cosplays 09:
Sebastian Michaelis-kuroshitsujiKarren-code geass

Offline Etchy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 12:56:02 pm »
Well I lost weight (and chubness)
I have dyed my hair before
got in to character a month before.

It very had work for me. (lazy)

nyoro~n
Kumoricon Cosplay Line-up
Kyon - TMOHS
Allegretto - Eternal Sonata
More?

Offline KaZzu

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 02:00:20 pm »
I grow my beard out for my Godot cosplay. And my real hair is a certain length/cut to cosplay Phoenix and Edgeworth.

And my briefcase plays Phoenix Wright music while I walk around xD

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 11:07:52 pm »
The main thing is doing things to my hair. I have cut a lot of it off to do one character and gone from blond to almost black. I am working on getting in shape so I don't have much fat around the stomach area. My dream is to do Albel Nox (star ocean 3) or Kuja (FFIX) and in order to do that I need a really nice stomach.