Author Topic: Mascot 2009 and program cover 2008 contests  (Read 119154 times)

Offline 2otaku

• Cabbit
Re: Mascot 2009 and program cover 2008 contests
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2008, 07:41:19 pm »
NEOLUCKY! You ROCK!  CHEVI! You RULE!   Good Luck, you two!

Ok, ok... I'm bias. But I'm not able to vote, so that's OK.

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2008, 10:56:08 pm »
haha I have like, four I would be happy if they won (my own included lol, even if it is less cute xD)

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 03:49:43 am »
Yeah, I think everyone who entered kinda wants to win. XD;;

Except I'm a little upset previous winners were allowed to enter and be judged anonymously... I mean, of course they can win and that's fine and all, but.  D8; We had a lot of good entries this year from less famous people, and for me it just feels a little unfair... please don't yell at me... I guess we'll see in the end, though, right?
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Raiphin Cosplay Facebook Page
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2008, 01:00:09 pm »
It's a shame they can't do it like Sakuracon and have a top three with different days of the con having different badge pictures, but I imagine it's cost prohibitive and/or there aren't nearly as many entries for K-con's contest. It's still be cool to see 1st 2nd 3rd though ^ - ^
~Raiphin~
facebook.com/RaiphinCosplay

Upcoming Cons: GGC, Akicon, Sakuracon
Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2008, 02:57:18 pm »
Except I'm a little upset previous winners were allowed to enter and be judged anonymously... I mean, of course they can win and that's fine and all, but.  D8; We had a lot of good entries this year from less famous people, and for me it just feels a little unfair... please don't yell at me... I guess we'll see in the end, though, right?

Whaaaaaaaat?

That's like telling a sports team to lose on purpose just because they were the champions last year. If you're the best you stay the best until someone else gets BETTER.

I don't know anybody that voted on art just because of the artist being "famous".
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2008, 05:18:16 pm »

Whaaaaaaaat?

That's like telling a sports team to lose on purpose just because they were the champions last year. If you're the best you stay the best until someone else gets BETTER.

I don't know anybody that voted on art just because of the artist being "famous".

That's not what I meant. ^^; They're famous because they're good... My issue is that they've already won previous years, and so it's already known that they CAN win... Does that make sense?  I'm not entirely sure how to phrase it without sounding like a massive b****(lol not swearing lol)...  I don't mean anything personal against them. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline nanobot

• Oni
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2008, 01:39:34 pm »
Quote from: TomtheFanboy on August 09, 2008, 02:57:18 PM
Quote from: Serika on August 08, 2008, 03:49:43 AM

Whaaaaaaaat?

That's not what I meant. ^^; They're famous because they're good... My issue is that they've already won previous years, and so it's already known that they CAN win... Does that make sense?  I'm not entirely sure how to phrase it without sounding like a massive b****(lol not swearing lol)...  I don't mean anything personal against them.

i know exactly what you mean. i feel the same way. and it sorta is like that sports analogy...but at the same time its not. because with sports, each year the team can change by gaining or losing players/coaches. so the team can either get better or worse. but with art, its rare that someone gets worse as years go on and they practice more. so usually in a year, a person can get waaay better because they had 365 days to improve. sports teams are different in that sense because its not just one person, its the whole team that can change for the worse (or better)

@_@ its hard to explain with out sounding rude, i agree. lol. but i do feel that it seems unfair that previous winners can enter and win again.

Offline spaztic_chu

• Cabbit
    • art.
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2008, 02:01:36 pm »
Well I know that there was some issue with the same artist winning multiple times in the Sakuracon mascot voting, but in that case, maybe just make it so that you can't win more than three non-consecutive years. (There is already a policy that last year's winner can't enter the next year.)  Also, there could be a policy similar to the late entry submission, where if the vote is close between two entries, and one is from a previous winner, then the win should go to the newcomer.

But in other small contests I entered that kept previous winners from reentering, the quality began to get poorer and poorer, because all the people who had won before couldn't enter anymore.  To keep the winners in keeps the competition high.  Also I'll point out that the only one entering on repeat is Chevi. 

On a similar note, people were "complaining" (not really, but wishful thinking I guess?) that there weren't many entries for the cover contests.  You know why?  Because there aren't any prizes for it at all.  If the con wants higher quality covers, or a better spread to choose from like the mascot contest, then they have to offer some sort of prize, be it a half table or kumori-bucks or free admission or something.

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2008, 09:48:20 pm »
Well I know that there was some issue with the same artist winning multiple times in the Sakuracon mascot voting, but in that case, maybe just make it so that you can't win more than three non-consecutive years. (There is already a policy that last year's winner can't enter the next year.)  Also, there could be a policy similar to the late entry submission, where if the vote is close between two entries, and one is from a previous winner, then the win should go to the newcomer.

But in other small contests I entered that kept previous winners from reentering, the quality began to get poorer and poorer, because all the people who had won before couldn't enter anymore.  To keep the winners in keeps the competition high.  Also I'll point out that the only one entering on repeat is Chevi. 

On a similar note, people were "complaining" (not really, but wishful thinking I guess?) that there weren't many entries for the cover contests.  You know why?  Because there aren't any prizes for it at all.  If the con wants higher quality covers, or a better spread to choose from like the mascot contest, then they have to offer some sort of prize, be it a half table or kumori-bucks or free admission or something.

It wasn't really an issue so much as general complaints pouring in the same girl had one 4 times in a matter of 5 years.  In fact, I was one of those people making complaints...^^;;;  But not because I didn't win, because there are alot of other amazing entries with just as good quality if not better than the person chosen, and there isn't enough variety between mascots.  Whereas here at Kumoricon, they've always had unique mascots.

But it just shows poor sportsmanship overall I've learned.  The staff aren't obligated to even hold these contests, but they are meant for "FUN" which many people forget.  Sure you get a free table, but it's not about winning or losing, and everyone gets to see all the creative entries anyways through the website and in programming books.  I don't think any artist enters expecting to win (I certainly don't)...we enter because it's fun to design a mascot each year.  Wouldn't you want to win for having a great design, not a pity win because "you haven't won yet".  =/

After 5 years of entering Sakura-Con's mascot contest, I haven't won or even placed yet.  But I still enter every year for the chance of at least being in the books.  It a free contest, with judges who choose the best mascot to represent the convention for that year.  There shouldn't be limits on people who win.  It's not about the artists.  It's about an image that reprents the convention.

Also, I'm not the only one re-entering, Neolucky was 2006's winner too.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:50:12 pm by Chevi »

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
    • http://nikorescafe.com
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 12:28:13 am »

It wasn't really an issue so much as general complaints pouring in the same girl had one 4 times in a matter of 5 years.  In fact, I was one of those people making complaints...^^;;;  But not because I didn't win, because there are alot of other amazing entries with just as good quality if not better than the person chosen, and there isn't enough variety between mascots.  Whereas here at Kumoricon, they've always had unique mascots.

But it just shows poor sportsmanship overall I've learned.  The staff aren't obligated to even hold these contests, but they are meant for "FUN" which many people forget.  Sure you get a free table, but it's not about winning or losing, and everyone gets to see all the creative entries anyways through the website and in programming books.  I don't think any artist enters expecting to win (I certainly don't)...we enter because it's fun to design a mascot each year.  Wouldn't you want to win for having a great design, not a pity win because "you haven't won yet".  =/

After 5 years of entering Sakura-Con's mascot contest, I haven't won or even placed yet.  But I still enter every year for the chance of at least being in the books.  It a free contest, with judges who choose the best mascot to represent the convention for that year.  There shouldn't be limits on people who win.  It's not about the artists.  It's about an image that reprents the convention.

Also, I'm not the only one re-entering, Neolucky was 2006's winner too.  ;)

Yup! In fact I see some entries that were re-entered again by previous people last year. Just because an artist may be good or bad shouldn't matter at all - what that means is that those who don't feel 'good' need to buckle down and really start practicing! The people with more skill only have that because they put their all into it!

As far as the complaints about the Sakuracon mascot winner? She wasn't just winning often, she was also STAFF and winning often (Her entries were nice, yes. I don't deny that.) That was one of the reasons I complained about it on the Sakuracon boards, because it felt rigged that a staff member could easily enter and win the contest, and as soon as people put their voices out there, the topic was closed because one of her friends ( some staff member) got upset over it and defended her, and then decided that people shouldn't voice their valid opinions. As a general rule, I thought it was a big "nono" for staff to enter any sort of contest, so it just looked fishy to me (And many others), and heck, she's won next years as well! But...if thats what they ruled and enjoy, then thats it over all. Ain't my contest. Ain't my rules. But I won't be entering Sakuracon again, that's for sure, after winning 2006's Mascot I found out just how poorly they treated their AA attendees. (Lori Collins, Kcons current AA/EX coordinator, was PART of this poor treatment! Surprise surprise!)

So, keep entering. Keep trying. Keep practicing and strive to get better and more creative. Don't boo on artists better (And by better, possibly more skilled, there is no bad or good here to me) then you, because you feel you may not win. All that proves is that you doubt yourself and your own ability...and it's my theory that when an artist does that? It's easy to see in their work. The more confidence you have, the better your art comes off in the end. If all you worry about is winning, then you missed the point of entering an entry completely.

I skipped a year of entering, for my own reasons. And who said anyone entered that won previously was going to win again this year? As far as I've seen Kumoricon HAS NOT ever had a repeat artist, and would that be a problem if they did? Really now. The sports analogy is perfect because as athletes have 365 days to train, so TOO do artists. Yes an artist CAN degrade in skill if they don't keep up with it. (I draw everyday. No joke.) So to claim that it's "unfair" is kinda...well... Whiny. You guys probably don't mean to come off that way, but really, you do! Don't sulk because you might see something better, use that energy to try harder for next time!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:36:11 am by Neolucky »

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 12:39:04 am »
Thanks for being mature Chevi, I was nervous about checking this topic again because I don't like making people mad and I knew I was going to piss someone off when I said that. ><;;;;

Of course it's fun to enter.  That should definitely be a big part of entering.  I suddenly had vision of Light from Death Note scribbling furiously.. You can see where this is going, right?

I'm might only speaking for myself here when I say this, but I'm having some insecurities because I wanted to look at the mascot that won and say, "Oh, I see how the proportions are blah-blah-blah, and the colors pop a lot." I become biased like everyone else (Hah!  Like you were expecting that.) so seeing a famous artist win, it's kinda like, "Oh, well they're really good.  Of course they were going to win.  And there's nothing I can look at in this picture and learn from because it's just from a really good artist who has no flaws." Wow, I'm making no sense here.  Sorry. ^^; But when I found out Neolucky was entering, when I was 90% done with mine, my mood pretty much went to, "No point in entering now.  She's famous for her art." I still entered, but not with as much enthusiasm as before, haha. 

Two of my close friends entered, including my best friend, so I'd like to think I'm not throwing a fit here entirely because OMFG MY ENTRYS BEST Y CAN'T I WIN ): (if it's any consolation i'm having a lot of family drama right now that i'm not used to, but i know it's bad to give silly excuses for things.)

As for the Sakuracon thing...really?  That's...err, impressive.  Yeah, I can see how that could be a problem.  I guess I'm very, like... YEAH!  I FREAKING LOVE DIVERSITY.  WOO.  So seeing the same thing that many years at a time would lead some peasant like me to think "HAY CONSPIRACY THEORIES WHISPER WHISPER GEORGE BUSH SET UP THE TERRORIST ATTACKS IS SAKURACON DOING THE SAME?!!!!!!"

and then when i clicked preview neo posted.  8'D Hi everybody.
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline Patchwerk

• Cabbit
    • Patches' DA gallery
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2008, 12:55:43 am »
I think maybe people should refrain from going: "I HAVE NO HOPE OF WINNING BECAUSE ______ ENTERED.  @#$%."

Yes, some talented artists entered, but they have a right to enter just like anyone else.  So, let's not make them feel bad for entering...  Good luck to EVERYONE that entered.

BREAKING NEWS: No one has completely flawless art.  Also, it would be silly to think you can't learn for those who are skilled... I mean, when you take an art class you don't learn from novices. @_@;;

That's just my two-cents.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:56:50 am by Patchwerk »

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2008, 02:01:53 am »
Thanks for being mature Chevi, I was nervous about checking this topic again because I don't like making people mad and I knew I was going to piss someone off when I said that. ><;;;;

Of course it's fun to enter.  That should definitely be a big part of entering.  I suddenly had vision of Light from Death Note scribbling furiously.. You can see where this is going, right?

I'm might only speaking for myself here when I say this, but I'm having some insecurities because I wanted to look at the mascot that won and say, "Oh, I see how the proportions are blah-blah-blah, and the colors pop a lot." I become biased like everyone else (Hah!  Like you were expecting that.) so seeing a famous artist win, it's kinda like, "Oh, well they're really good.  Of course they were going to win.  And there's nothing I can look at in this picture and learn from because it's just from a really good artist who has no flaws." Wow, I'm making no sense here.  Sorry. ^^; But when I found out Neolucky was entering, when I was 90% done with mine, my mood pretty much went to, "No point in entering now.  She's famous for her art." I still entered, but not with as much enthusiasm as before, haha. 

Two of my close friends entered, including my best friend, so I'd like to think I'm not throwing a fit here entirely because OMFG MY ENTRYS BEST Y CAN'T I WIN ): (if it's any consolation i'm having a lot of family drama right now that i'm not used to, but i know it's bad to give silly excuses for things.)

As for the Sakuracon thing...really?  That's...err, impressive.  Yeah, I can see how that could be a problem.  I guess I'm very, like... YEAH!  I FREAKING LOVE DIVERSITY.  WOO.  So seeing the same thing that many years at a time would lead some peasant like me to think "HAY CONSPIRACY THEORIES WHISPER WHISPER GEORGE BUSH SET UP THE TERRORIST ATTACKS IS SAKURACON DOING THE SAME?!!!!!!"

and then when i clicked preview neo posted.  8'D Hi everybody.

Pfft you didn't make me mad, lol. I don't think you made anyone else mad either.  XD;  I understand where you're coming from, Ive been there too!

Oh believe me, I totally understand feeling like you wanna give up because a better or famous artist entered.  But rather than feeling like you want to throw in the towel, you should try harder to be better than those that do enter. Besides, you have to expect that every contest will have someone like that, if you do intend to beat them, you have to give your entry 110%! :D

I really like the ideas people are getting for the mascots each year!  And it's only normal to want your friends to win too!  I just love Kumoricon, that's why I enter!  It's like showing support to them for me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:35:23 am by Chevi »

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2008, 02:28:11 am »
I think maybe people should refrain from going: "I HAVE NO HOPE OF WINNING BECAUSE ______ ENTERED.  @#$%."

Yes, some talented artists entered, but they have a right to enter just like anyone else.  So, let's not make them feel bad for entering...  Good luck to EVERYONE that entered.

BREAKING NEWS: No one has completely flawless art.  Also, it would be silly to think you can't learn for those who are skilled... I mean, when you take an art class you don't learn from novices. @_@;;

That's just my two-cents.

Of course.  Except unfortunately logic does not always win out in the mind of a nervous silly teenager. 8D; I'm not going to go into detail because this isn't a critique site or anything, and I've made us all go off topic, but yeah, I can see flaws in pictures by famous artists when I look at them, but that kinda immediately evaporates when you see your competition.  And yeah, everyone should stop thinking like that, myself VERY VERY VERY included.  But at the same time, I think any person who had entered a big contest like this for the first time should be allowed to panic a teeny bit, given the circumstances...

On a much more positive note, I think everyone who entered should know that everyone who entered was talented.  I know I'm a very self-absorbed person (ahaha.  shocking), and I saw a LOT of entries other than my own that I would be happy to see on badges next year. except i might not see them because i'll be in egypt for part of the summer and i'll be busy, so.  lol. Some of the alternative, different ones were my favorites.  But honestly, all of them are good. 8D;;; I hope none of my own little problems are leading anyone to think otherwise.
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2008, 07:59:08 am »
I've always wondered why the convention doesn't commission the winner of the mascot contest to draw the covers of the conbooks.

Maybe next year we can have the runners up in the mascot contest win booths and the job of drawing the conbook and pocket guide.

Hmmmm.....
1st prize is AA booth with registration right?

2nd prize could be the same, but you have to design the conbook and pocket guide with the winning mascot.

I also think that the conbook and pocket guide should be done by the same person. Kind of like the mascot and the chibi. That way the designs match.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2008, 08:14:17 am »
I've always wondered why the convention doesn't commission the winner of the mascot contest to draw the covers of the conbooks.

I also think that the conbook and pocket guide should be done by the same person. Kind of like the mascot and the chibi. That way the designs match.

But there's soooo much less diversity that way!! It seems to work out that the people who win the conbook at least usually reference the winning mascot of that year in their own style, which lends to a theme but also encourages other people to participate which is cool. Perhaps doing that could be more strongly encouaged, or for the program book as well?

As for the mascot---really, if I ever do win and the 'good guys' are participating that would in a very shallow way be waaaaay more satisfying.....just sayin'.  ^ - ~
~Raiphin~

Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2008, 11:21:35 am »

Maybe next year we can have the runners up in the mascot contest win booths and the job of drawing the conbook and pocket guide.

Hmmmm.....
1st prize is AA booth with registration right?

2nd prize could be the same, but you have to design the conbook and pocket guide with the winning mascot.

This idea might just help out the whole "lack of entries for the conbook" issue!

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2008, 12:57:53 pm »

But there's soooo much less diversity that way!! It seems to work out that the people who win the conbook at least usually reference the winning mascot of that year in their own style, which lends to a theme but also encourages other people to participate which is cool. Perhaps doing that could be more strongly encouaged, or for the program book as well?

As for the mascot---really, if I ever do win and the 'good guys' are participating that would in a very shallow way be waaaaay more satisfying.....just sayin'.  ^ - ~

I'd kinda like to see the winner design the cover because some of them haven't been very well drawn *sweatdrop*
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2008, 02:18:19 pm »

I'd kinda like to see the winner design the cover because some of them haven't been very well drawn *sweatdrop*

Maybe in the past, but from last years and some of the entries I've seen for this years, that may have become less of a problem! Unfortunately I think many artists (including me) go so bananas on the mascot entry that the other stuff slips to the side. ^ - ^;;; But the quality of all the entries seems to be improving year by year.
~Raiphin~

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2008, 03:40:01 pm »
I was going to enter in the mini programming book thing, but I didn'tt hink about it until the last minute and then I was exhausted and fell asleep, then didn't wake up until like half an hour after the deadline. XD;

I think a lot more people enter the mascot contest because they get a lot more recognition for it, and they even get a table.  If the mascot was used the exact same way but without the table, there'd be fewer entries.  Having a table is like a tangible prize... Some people might feel just bragging rights aren't entirely a prize.  Another thing is a lot of anime artists are used to working with just a floating character on a white background, and don't have confidence in their background skills.  I know I couldn't draw a detailed background to save my life, so I wouldn't enter anything where a background is almost a requirement until I got better.  But I think the prize thing is a little issue... I know that the artist alley is cramped this year so this couldn't go into effect, but maybe if the mini-guide and conbook could share a table or something?  People would be more motivated to enter into those contests because they'd really know they'd be getting something from it, and could sell prints/do commisions/whatever.

I don't think I'd really like to see the same artist doing piece after piece... Seeing people drawing characters in different styles is really interesting to see.  Last year everything was different, and a little refreshing.  Don't get me wrong, Chevi's mascot was awesome and the chibi was adorable... Plus I love bright colors, but it was nice when your eyes could rest on the softer colors of the conbook.  I don't know.  Variety is the spice of life, right?  But it'd be kind of like a slap in the face to people who just wanted to enter the other contests, I think.
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline antibishie

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.antibishie.com
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2008, 04:32:28 pm »

I'm not so much of a fan of having the same person doing everything, though there's nothing wrong with that.  But I agree about wanting things to "match".  Whether it's all done by the same person in the same style or whether it's various styles making use of the mascot for that year, whatever.

Speaking of the covers... are we going to get to see the entries for those before the con?
-----
Jeremy Forbes
"You have much YAOI-esque-ness here...!"
http://www.antibishie.com

Offline spaztic_chu

• Cabbit
    • art.
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2008, 05:46:43 pm »
While I kind of like the idea of combining the cover contests, I don't think that they should be combined with the mascot contest at all.  Mostly that making the prize designing the covers means you're rewarding them with more work (GLEE).  But also it'd be with a tight deadline following the contest shortly after, and the winner of the mascot contest wouldn't be nearly as secret. It's a crappy prize to give to the second place, and if you made the first place do it, then yeah, the con would lose some diversity.

I dunno, I see the graphic design of the covers as a different art than designing the mascot. 

I think a lot more people enter the mascot contest because they get a lot more recognition for it, and they even get a table.  If the mascot was used the exact same way but without the table, there'd be fewer entries.  Having a table is like a tangible prize... Some people might feel just bragging rights aren't entirely a prize.

Agree!

Offline Oniyukai

• Cabbit
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2008, 07:04:40 pm »

I agree with Raiphin on this besides you learn a lot by drawing other peoples characters in your way...and you learn from them what to adapt to your own work...and what not to do for mascot contests... for example I will never again submit a vector file. I will only submit it until after it is judged. Also I decided to draw the strokes in a more brushstroke manner rather than just use the shape outlines. And I will use japanese animals.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2008, 02:10:20 pm »
While I kind of like the idea of combining the cover contests, I don't think that they should be combined with the mascot contest at all.  Mostly that making the prize designing the covers means you're rewarding them with more work (GLEE).  But also it'd be with a tight deadline following the contest shortly after, and the winner of the mascot contest wouldn't be nearly as secret. It's a crappy prize to give to the second place, and if you made the first place do it, then yeah, the con would lose some diversity.

No, that's not what I mean.
The winner of the 2009 mascot contest drawing the 2009 conbook and pocket guide. Not THIS years'!  :D

As for all you guys and your diversity, there's a difference between a variety of styles and random images that make no freakin' sense. >_>
If every entry for the covers featured the official mascot then I wouldn't be bothered nearly as much.

Remember the dude on the pocket guide last year? The art was fine but who was that guy? He was just a random dude!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2008, 02:25:52 pm »

Remember the dude on the pocket guide last year? The art was fine but who was that guy? He was just a random dude!

*laughs* you know, what I totally thought was-- "Yay! I finally get to look at a cute boy on something!"

simple minds <3 eye candy, even if it has no context ^ - ~
~Raiphin~

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2008, 03:43:03 pm »

I liked him. 8D; I can see why you'd want things to be more...uniform, for lack of a better word, but it *is* fun for us when we get to look at the different styles and characters.  In 2006 I had no issue with the conbook, despite it being drastically different from the mascot.  I don't think they necessarily need to be similar, since they aren't entirely connected or anything (if the con guide said things like, "please refer to pocket guide page 23, section two, paragraph one" or "note the color choice on the mascot's outfit.  We will refer back to this at various ceremonies" or something, it'd make a bit more sense, but...not really like that?)... And I honestly think it's more aesthetically pleasing for things to be different.  I don't understand what you said about a "variety of styles and random images making no sense..." or whatever it was.  Could you explain that a bit more?

I don't know... I'm all for different styles and random characters.  In my experience, Kumoricon is a pretty random, fun con... And having one person take all the glory for all the art our con uses doesn't really show the image of the convention, I guess?  I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this, so forgive me.
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2008, 04:42:23 pm »
I'm glad you guys liked that dude. There was a lot of staffers who were annoyed by him for some reason.

What I'm saying is that I would rather have some sort of relationship between the three art pieces we're discussing here. The Mascot, the conbook and the pocket guide.

I think that the mascot for the year sets the tone for our swag and publications that year, both thematically and chromatically (lulz). I think that this should also apply to the conbook and pocket guide. Sure the Pocket guide is usually B&W but we can still have some connection. I'm not saying we need cooky cutter poses and tracings of the mascot. I just think that the color scheme at least should be similar, and if you're going to put a character on the cover then make it the mascot for that year. Chibi or regular style. That way it's not just "some art", it is art that is MEANT for this year.

Last year we had a bunch of other characters popping up inside the pocket guide and I thought that was great, I just want to see the mascot more. To me, other people drawing versions of the mascot is a sort of sign of respect for the con and a sort of salute to the artist who designed them.

I always wonder if the artists who got to the trouble of making whole new characters for the covers of the books just don't care about the mascots or if they're just bitter because they lost. Some people are like that, but I'm guessing anyone that gets that bitter about the mascot contest would enter the cover contests at all. That could explain why we have so few entries.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2008, 04:48:27 pm »
I always want to enter the cover contest and pocket book too, but I always never have time other than for the mascot.

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2008, 10:16:28 pm »
To be frank the 'Guy' on the mascot con book looked thrown together and kind of lazy, and honestly did just come off as 'Wow how random.'.

I too would love to see some correlation from Mascot, Pocketbook and Conbook. Kept to an actual theme! This has nothing to do with it being a guy, or being "different" at all. We all LOVE variety! But I will echo Tom here and say that it'd be a treat to see things match. I wouldn't consider that uniformity at all, just less confusing for those attending the convention. It's just common sense that the books somewhat match the mascot chosen for that year. And since there's no prize involved with the book covers, why have those contests at all? Might sound harsh, but you just can't please everyone all the time...just some people some of the time. The book cover contests needs some re-working I think.

If you people wanna see more GUYS in the covers/mascots then stop entering with GIRLS =p and start making entries with guys in them! If I had time to do more then one entry, heck I'd draw a guy as well. But there's just something aesthetic about a cute girl with an umbrella...and if you look at the original Kumoricon Logo, it was a girl, so I always thought sticking to that theme would have made sense.

And having one person take all the glory for all the art our con uses doesn't really show the image of the convention, I guess?  I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this, so forgive me.

That's what contests are for. No convention is just random, to be honest. They always have a theme, a mascot, a color, a special saying. I'm not sure how throwing out random, uncordinating images does anything but confuse people about the theme of the convention. EVERY convention I've been to gives this 'glory' to the person who won because they tried their best and deserve it! By using other pictures that don't have anything to DO with the central mascot/theme, you take away from the image. And when it comes to advertisement for conventions, Image IS VERY important.

See, Kumoricon is pretty generous in giving out a contest that allows people to make up something new each year. Where as Fanime (Wonderful convention!) has a SET group of mascots, with no contest, just a pool of professional artists they hire to work on the art so that way it looks clean and matches every year with the theme. (Theme changes every year, but mascots never do). So...I wouldn't complain so much about diversity when you get a chance to enter at all!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:26:13 pm by Neolucky »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2008, 01:11:45 am »
See, Kumoricon is pretty generous in giving out a contest that allows people to make up something new each year. Where as Fanime (Wonderful convention!) has a SET group of mascots, with no contest, just a pool of professional artists they hire to work on the art so that way it looks clean and matches every year with the theme. (Theme changes every year, but mascots never do). So...I wouldn't complain so much about diversity when you get a chance to enter at all!

That's what makes Kumoricon so endearing. I noticed that with Sakuracon there was only a mascot contest, and the year I went, they had Paradise Kiss as the program cover. Given the program cover was really cool with embossed katakana names of popular anime and movies over it, but I like Kumoricon's idea of leaving it up to the fans.

To be blunt myself, I agree with Neolucky. I wasn't a huge fan of the cover art of the "Guy". He did look thrown together, like someone was testing out their newly bought screen tones and decided to submit it. Sorry, it made me felt like not a lot of people submit to the cover art contest. (Once again, I'm sorry for being blunt). I like the idea of a dude on the cover, though. I'm all for a male mascot one of these days, although I acknowledge the chances of that happening are slim. Girl mascots are usually just cuter and seem to attract bigger crowds.

I'm just sad I completely missed the deadline, otherwise I would've tried throwing my ideas in there, too. The ideas for this year are really cute. It's nice to see some color in a few of them.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2008, 01:55:34 am »
The cover galleries have been posted:

Program book: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=170
Pocket guide: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=171

Historical gallery: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=125
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2008, 02:02:59 am »
Any ideas and suggestions for how to change the contest will be considered for next year.

I do like having consistent theming across different materials. However, having the winning mascot artist draw the covers might be extra work and I don't know if all or most of the artists would want that. Also it might lose us the opportunity to pick a unique cover that is more interesting.

A prize for the cover contests might be due starting in 2009.

I thought the 5 Fanime mascots were really cool, too. :) Didn't know they were the same every year, though.

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2008, 02:45:00 am »

I thought the 5 Fanime mascots were really cool, too. :) Didn't know they were the same every year, though.

Yup, same ones every year :D! I only know this because I work for that artist pool currently, (Did this years T-shirt design infact! WOO!....Too bad I wasn't there, darnit!) the year before this was Space (Macross anniversary), this year was Feudal japan, and next year has yet to be determined.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2008, 11:49:26 pm »
The cover galleries have been posted:

Program book: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=170
Pocket guide: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=171

Historical gallery: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=125

Elle's program book is one of those creepy little dollfies i just know it. KILL IT WITH FIRE! :D

Sure its a good photograph but I know that this is going to turn around and eat my soul. If that was all done digitally and not with a photograph then good job on creeping me out, very realistic.

Also, meet Mr. Kumoricon 2007
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:13:56 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2008, 12:16:19 am »
Ah, yes. The dollfies. Those are a commitment.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2008, 03:56:37 am »
D8 There are so few!  That's so sad.

I don't know, I still think different styles and different characters are nice.  I wouldn't be too upset if I saw the mascot drawn in a variety of styles, though I really do like seeing different characters and color schemes.  I know I wouldn't mind so much if maybe a contest requirement was to draw the mascot, but repeating myself again... I still like different characters. 

I haven't counted or anything, but it seems like there are a lot more mascot contest entries, and fewer program entries this year.  I think some of the people who were considering entering in the program contests figured they wouldn't be getting anything from it, maybe... That, and every piece of publicity I've seen for the convention involves the mascot, so it's not really getting your art out there.  No table, and no publicity... See how that can discourage some people?  A table would be nice for those winners (and encourage more people to enter), but that is money lost, so I don't know.
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2008, 03:17:56 pm »

Elle's program book is one of those creepy little dollfies i just know it. KILL IT WITH FIRE! :D

If you come by my table, Tom, ...I may have a couple there and they WILL STARE YOU DOWN WITH THEIR SOULLESS DOLL EYES. BE WARY.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2008, 09:59:47 pm »
There's something that's been on my mind for a while.  I'm kinda wondering if there would be more entries if the prize was a choice between getting a table in AA or possibly something of equal value.  (Free admission + something else....)

Reason why I'm thinking that is because I bet there are some people who would love to enter but wouldn't want or wouldn't know what to do with an AA table.
Course I could be wrong....

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2008, 12:08:54 pm »
My two cents:

1. You would have a lot more entries for the cover contest (and probably higher quality ones) if there was a substantial prize for it.*

2. I like the idea of having the 2009 cover contest use the design of the winner of the 2009 mascot contest. Not having it drawn by the same artist, just making it part of the contest criteria that the character design be the same (not necessarily the style). (Plus, I just took a look at the entries for the 2009 contest, and WOW the designs were amazing! I can't wait to see who won.)

*I stopped entering the contest because there wasn't any real reason to. Plus, the one year that I won, I was actually ashamed of it because of the shitstorm that followed. Perhaps the contests should be removed from the forums to prevent drama, and all entries/questions/announcements should be taken care of with email and postings on the site.

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:16 am »
*I stopped entering the contest because there wasn't any real reason to. Plus, the one year that I won, I was actually ashamed of it because of the shitstorm that followed. Perhaps the contests should be removed from the forums to prevent drama, and all entries/questions/announcements should be taken care of with email and postings on the site.

I completely agree with you here.  Just wondering, what year did you win?  But yeah.  There was a lot of stupid drama with this year's winner for the mascot contest.  I'm not into furry art or anything, but what was with that?  I might be wrong here, but aren't cat/bunny/various animal-girls a big part of anime?  It'd be one thing if we had a blatantly furry mascot that fit all the negative stereotypes, but this one... I mean, COME ON.  Anyways... Yeah, that seems like it might be a better idea to me.  And yeah, cover contest winners should get a better prize... There isn't a lot of incentive now.
lol peer pressure

Plans:

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2008, 07:07:33 am »

I completely agree with you here.  Just wondering, what year did you win?  But yeah.  There was a lot of stupid drama with this year's winner for the mascot contest.  I'm not into furry art or anything, but what was with that?  I might be wrong here, but aren't cat/bunny/various animal-girls a big part of anime?  It'd be one thing if we had a blatantly furry mascot that fit all the negative stereotypes, but this one... I mean, COME ON.  Anyways... Yeah, that seems like it might be a better idea to me.  And yeah, cover contest winners should get a better prize... There isn't a lot of incentive now.

THANK YOU.
I'm in Total agreement with you on the furry issue. WTF is up with some people, I didn't know that people took furryphobia to the same lengths that people take homophobia.

At this point it is just a matter of bringing this up to the next Publicity Director.

Even if you're not staff, if you can make it to the elections on October 11th (or some time that wekend) then I suggest you make it known to the candidates that you think the contests should be changed. doing it at that event will also show the rest of the board that Publicity should be allowed to put a prize for the book covers in their budget.  ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2008, 11:26:48 am »
As I posted above, I've already been reading the suggestions in this thread. I will be incorporating improvements into next year or making that recommendation to the next director.

If elections just comes down to small differences like whether the publicity director wants a prize for the cover contest or not, then I think we're going to have a pretty smooth elections.

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2008, 12:28:32 pm »
Well then, looks like I will be trying to make it to the elections. I went a few years ago, when it was held at the central library; do you guys think it will be held there again? That was very convenient for me; I live downtown and don't own a car.

*I stopped entering the contest because there wasn't any real reason to. Plus, the one year that I won, I was actually ashamed of it because of the ****storm that followed. Perhaps the contests should be removed from the forums to prevent drama, and all entries/questions/announcements should be taken care of with email and postings on the site.

2006. I entered the contest for fun, even though there wasn't a real prize, but I wish that I hadn't. Because  the forums exploded with complaints about my entry, and I felt ashamed that I even made the ***ing thing. I also worked as staff, and several of the staff members complained about it in front of me, without knowing that I was the person that drew it. It made me feel awful.

I entered again the next year (2007; this was my entry), and tried to do better as an apology, and from what I heard it was received well even though it didn't win. But it didn't quite make up for what happened in '06.

I feel really sorry for the mascot winner. Because being the center of that sort of controversy is really hurtful to the person that created the work. My condolences to the artist.

----------------------------

Modified due to foul language
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:33:17 pm by kylite »

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2008, 08:07:24 pm »
I HATE the stereotype that has been created for characters with animal ears being called "furry".  I also hate the stereotype of "furry".  What is SO WRONG with animal ears, tails, or even anthropomorphic characters?!  When people see it they automatically scream "FURRY!" and every other nasty stereotype associated with it.  =/  I draw those things, doesn't mean I'm into some sick twisted nasty stuff...it's seriously messed up people assume these things based on a harmless drawing promoting NONE of that stuff.

And I'm sorry to hear what happened to you ScrumYummy. 

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2008, 09:30:55 pm »
I HATE the stereotype that has been created for characters with animal ears being called "furry".  I also hate the stereotype of "furry".  What is SO WRONG with animal ears, tails, or even anthropomorphic characters?!  When people see it they automatically scream "FURRY!" and every other nasty stereotype associated with it.  =/  I draw those things, doesn't mean I'm into some sick twisted nasty stuff...it's seriously messed up people assume these things based on a harmless drawing promoting NONE of that stuff.
I blame CSI.
(For those who saw the episode, you know what I'm talking about.)

Offline Neolucky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2008, 11:32:39 pm »
I blame CSI.

I don't =p. The CSI thing came about LONG after the Furry stigma. I won't discuss my own personal thoughts on Furries however, in any fandom there's varying levels of 'ew'.

I am shocked to hear anyone had issues with this years mascot. It's freaking cute as a button, well presented and drawn, and unique. Anyone talking smack about it in front of me, will get a rude look.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2008, 11:48:49 am »
I blame CSI.

I don't =p. The CSI thing came about LONG after the Furry stigma. I won't discuss my own personal thoughts on Furries however, in any fandom there's varying levels of 'ew'.

I am shocked to hear anyone had issues with this years mascot. It's freaking cute as a button, well presented and drawn, and unique. Anyone talking smack about it in front of me, will get a rude look.

*high-five*

Even if you hate furries, she isn't a furry.  She's got nekomimi written all over her!

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2008, 01:21:58 pm »
*high-five*

Even if you hate furries, she isn't a furry.  She's got nekomimi written all over her!

Yeah, I'm kinda confused as to why people would furry hate on her. Because she's a nekomimi. And nekomimi is a staple of otakudom, so it totally works as a mascot.

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2008, 03:47:31 pm »
lemurmimi!

I was actually kinda surprised when it won since it was kind of esoteric, but I figured--it's a vote, and thus representative of the people voting, so sure--more power to 'em. And stuff.

~Raiphin~

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2008, 07:33:38 pm »
lemurmimi!

I was actually kinda surprised when it won since it was kind of esoteric, but I figured--it's a vote, and thus representative of the people voting, so sure--more power to 'em. And stuff.

Pardon!  XD