Author Topic: Fan art caption contest  (Read 7182 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Fan art caption contest
« on: February 23, 2008, 06:00:10 pm »
I haven't submitted the idea yet, but one contest idea that I want to do is a fan art caption contest. I talked to Creation Station about it and they like the idea. This will be the first year that I do this event. I plan on holding it first at Fanime, so when Kumoricon comes, I'll have some experience with the event. It'll be a contest where people submit fan art and people in attendance come up with captions for each submission that gets featured. There would be a prizes for who could come up with the best caption for each submission along with prizes for people who submit work as well.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Fan art caption contest
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »
That sounds really fun. I personally love caption games, and think there is a lot that can be done with them. I look forward to it!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 12:45:46 am »
I like this idea.  If I were going next year I'd be tempted to join in.
One thing I would suggest is making some guidelines on the type of captions people can make on the drawings so they aren't hurtful to the artist.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:59:06 am »
We'd love to hear all suggestions about how to make this a fun, exciting new event.
I would imagine that part of the fun will be that many of the captions will be in parody--not of the artist, but of the scenario and/or characters depicted, and that they will be loving parodies, not sardonic or cruel. However, I concur such guidelines ought be spelled out aforehand, just in case. I think there could be a MST3K element to this event, and that could be really fun, so long as, again, parodying targeted the scene/characters, not the artist.

Would it be easier to maintain that delineation if the art were all fan art, or were you planning to open it to original character art as well?
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 03:05:56 pm »
I'd suggest mostly fan art...But some original art is always good. It'll allow more artists to join in and see what people think of their characters. But, I would have a good 65% be fan art.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:41:31 pm »
Sounds good to me!
Cecil, what do you think?
Syd-Chan, Negima, Eve of Abyss, any other suggestions? We'd love your help to make this a fun and successful event, as contestants (sorry you can't be there, Negima; any new manga?), or potentially even helping to run it.....
PS Syd: Cute sig, be sure to enter our Chibi Art Contest!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:42:15 pm by RemSaverem »
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 01:34:59 am »
I agree with Syd-Chan's idea. It'd be cool to see what kind of original content artists could submit.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 11:11:38 am »
Well it would take even more creativity on the part of the caption authors to come up with something clever or inspiring regarding characters they've never seen before, and then perhaps this could lead to the artist and the author collaborating to write a story! That's my dream version of what would happen, anyway, just like with our Art Into Fic contest; I would love to somehow merge the two........or at least have Art Into Fic right after Captioning, in case any such spark should be catalyzed thereby :)

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 11:39:48 pm »
Syd-Chan, Negima, Eve of Abyss, any other suggestions? We'd love your help to make this a fun and successful event, as contestants (sorry you can't be there, Negima; any new manga?), or potentially even helping to run it.....
PS Syd: Cute sig, be sure to enter our Chibi Art Contest!

XD I didn't make it! Khalan4 did, and she so freaking awesome! XD I should get her to enter.

Other suggestions....?

Well, if there's a lot of entires....Maybe catagories? Like, 'puns'? I'm terrible at puns, so don't ask for an example! XD But there'd probably have to be a lot of entires, maybe at least 30?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:16:19 pm »
Yes definitely send your friend our way!
Puns, great idea!