Author Topic: Could we have a rave?  (Read 7219 times)

Offline Mindless MIka

• Oni
    • Me Myspace
Could we have a rave?
« on: April 01, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »
So I just got back from Sakuracon, where Sunday night they had a big "rave" dance party.

Pretty much there was a DJ, some strobe lights, some projectors playing anime, and some dudes selling glow sticks and you had to be 18 to get in cause it ran from something like 10 pm to 3 am.

Everybody I talked to really had a blast at the rave and I thought it'd be a good idea for Kumoricon.

Somewhere I saw a post mentioning a dances at Kumoricon 08, but I'm not sure what those dances were.

If we could have a rave I do know a few good DJ's and a few good sound guys who'd be more than willing help out.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:25:54 pm by Mindless MIka »

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
Re: Could we have a rave?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:26:38 pm »
I'm pretty sure we had a rave last year. I didn't go, but it definitely happened. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:48:55 am »
What's the difference between a rave and a dance?
A dance has more slow songs to dance to.

We have "raves" every year, we just don't call them that because rave also implies more drugs than a dance does. Nooooooo drugs! Bad!

So come to Kumoricon's "dance" this year and have just as much fun.  ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 11:51:44 am »
You didn't have to be 18 to get in, you just had to be 18/over to stay after 1:00 am, which was the curfew, and for the whole convention.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Gloomy Bear

• Oni
    • Deviant Art Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:35:51 pm »
PLUR!

Well if we are gunna rave I'll come with all my kandi to spread the love...oh and glow sticks off course.

Before I found this con I was solely a raver so if anyone needs help getting this thing going I'd be happy to assist!

BTW the difference between a "rave" and a "dance" is well...a lot! Though aside from the drug use (which wouldn't happen at this place, I hope) is the music, the lights, and the general PLUR. Peace love unity respect. They can get kind of out of hand though, like Earth Dance '07 was busted because of the music level and so such things should be kept in mind, especially because this would be an inside party. Also raves usually start at around 11 and go until sunrise. Gotta love the all night dancing!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:38:48 pm by Gloomy Bear »

Offline Gloomy Bear

• Oni
    • Deviant Art Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:16:36 pm »
Wow that is different. Though Down the Rabbit Hole 4 is going down this weekend in Seattle, god it looks like a blast!

Anyways, if the anime kiddies wanna rave they should get a piece of Kandi even if it's just a dance. Either way sounds like fun n.n

So does anyone here go to raves or are you guys just active in the Cons?? <3
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 03:17:24 pm by Gloomy Bear »

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 09:25:11 pm »
I are not a raver.
I saw the movie GO once though!  :P

By your definitions Kumoricon will never really have a rave until we have a 24 hour convention. i'd be all for that but I doubt that some of the other staffers (like yojimbo and the AV guys) would be very excited about it. Oh well, we can keep pushing for it though, I'm sure we'll be 24 hours some day.

Maybe you can be our future "Rave Coordinator"!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Gloomy Bear

• Oni
    • Deviant Art Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:50:26 pm »
Wow a 24 hour Con? Sounds like a blast man, everyone will be all twitchy on caffeine though by the sunrise. Then go home and crash in their ruffled lil anime costumes, it would be adorable...

Though yesyes if we could ever get one off the ground I'd love to help out with everything, I have some friends that are Djs and then know a bunch of other ravers to come entertain with light shows.

By the by for everyone interested in raving and such this is Kandi, the bouncy trouncy (mostely e-tarded) colorful kids tend to have tons of it. Now I wanna give some out to all the nice people -hugs Tom-

And here be a lil lightshow my fiance and I were doing out of sheer boredom....

Offline Hashi

• Bunnygirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 09:57:26 pm »
I just have to say I ADORE your kandi!! Im working on my own little collection XP Sadly though the closest thing ive gotten to a rave is the Cast Parties for my schools theater(its a psuedo rave, strobe lights, techno, glowsticks l<3 )
but omg if kcon does a 24 con and a rave I would there in a heartbeat!
I live for things like this~
Kumoricon:
Jet [atla]
Jet [MAoH]
Man-delaide [HINABN]
Mephisto [AnE]

カヲルはあなたの罪のために死んだ!
"Wanna be a Freedom Fighter?"

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:24:03 pm »
Yay! *hugs*

I've always thought that kind of stuff was totally crescent fresh. I just never really got into accessorizing, I'm pretty plainclothes, but I'd be willing to wear some to my panels at the convention!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 11:23:38 am »
If we do have a rave, could we do it away from the viewing rooms? Sak still hasn't figured out that you don't play dubs in the room directly below a rave.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 07:51:19 pm »
I think Sakura Con needed foggers for the rave. Hehe by the way I work for a company that rents dj lighting equipment and foggers  ;)

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 01:41:55 pm »
we tend to avoid foggers due to asthma
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 06:38:17 pm »
Yeah I understand hehe I choke when I test them at work and I don't have asthma but....there is a way to push all of the fog to the ceiling and very little of it actually makes it to the people. Ah well whatever, just trying to offer something.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 12:55:28 pm »
I have nasty allergies and what not but I have seen a few foggers that don't actually create "just smoke". They create the effect but don't cause coughing fits.

Not that I like smoke in the first place.... but they are out there.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 09:02:25 pm »
Yeah. Whatever, just an idea that's all. I understand completely the reasons for not having them.

Offline GaaraoftheFunk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 05:00:03 pm »
Ahahaha.
I forgot to bring my kandi for sakuracon.
Besides,I had some probloms that had to be taken care of at the time.^-^

Offline uraharafreak

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 08:29:24 pm »
btw just saw a work the coolest new light...a blacklight that is also a strobe.

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »
I'm trying to get myself to more raves, but I live out in Welches and to get into downtown Portland means an hour and a half drive. Setting to Seattle for the better ones...well, that might as well be a weekend stay. In Sandy, the owner of a gaming center tried to host several raves (ahem "dances" so we didn't scare the old people) with my assistance. The ones that we hosted were successful, the most successful one was during the weekend of K-con last year, but the center shut down about a month ago due to lack of interest.
I wish I had a closer group of friends who liked to go to raves and lived near me. That way I could get out on the weekends and party instead of staying home in the woods >.<
My Kandi collection is miserable. Its whatever I can pick up on my trips to Michaels and other craft stores. Maybe with some tips (or donations) it could be awesome!
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 02:14:04 pm »
Yeah the dances at kumoricon (masq dance not included) are rave like in the way the lighting, music and general atmosphere is with a lack of drugs, alcohol and other undesired behaviors. There are always glowstick rings (random people preforming with glowsticks) and yeah fog machines are just hard to breathe with lol and I think with that many sweaty people in a room it is hard enough to breathe as is :P. OH yeah and minors are out by curfew (midnight) this year.

And though a 24hour con sounds really cool, I don't get enough sleep as is at the con and this would mean all around staff would be stretched way thinner than it already is by the time the last day comes....I already sleep all day after the con as is....lol I'd be sleeping for a week otherwise

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 12:18:48 am »
What's the difference between a rave and a dance?
A dance has more slow songs to dance to.

We have "raves" every year, we just don't call them that because rave also implies more drugs than a dance does. Nooooooo drugs! Bad!

So come to Kumoricon's "dance" this year and have just as much fun.  ;)

Actuall a Rave implies a illegal "underground" dance where they play mostly music that would be considered in most groups to be techno. The fact that most people are tripping on acid and extacy is just a by product

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 02:04:18 am »
for the rave, dance or what ever you want to call it, could we possibly get more of that removeable tile stuff than just infront of the DJ. I hate trying to break on carpet.

Offline CMD Productions

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 08:50:53 am »
We tend to avoid fog since I set off the hotels fire alarms the first year and we had to evacuate...  Also the hotels won't allow it.

Offline Faaedab

• Sailor Scout
    • My myspace
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 10:03:01 pm »
Man that would be hellabomb if it was a 24hr con. Sakuracon was a blast and i <3ed it when the glowstick guys threw random sticks as high as they could to see who would go for it. But yeah, deffinately away from viewing rooms, the dub shows they had goin on had metal sliding doors rattling the whole time. kinda funny though. also, can anyone point me in the direction of where i can buy/order the crazy glowing/flashing balls on chains that some of the guys had at sakuracon? i would greatly appreciate it, Im in the vancouver area if that helps point me in the right direction. also, i too could help with lighting and sound as i know a few people as well. hope it happens one day.
Working on my Reno cosplay. my hair is getting close to being long enough already w00t.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 01:52:04 am »
google it or go to the dollar store for cheap glowsticks.. you can get em by the buttload

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 10:48:22 am »
You can get a pack of 15 glow-stick bracelets at Micheal's Craft Store (aka heaven) for a dollar.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 01:38:05 pm »
on a side note while a 24 hour con would be fun its also a ton more expensive because of the cost of insurance for all hours vs just having the hours we do now...well its not worth it to have the few extra hours and i know what staff looks like by day three anyway... you wouldn't want to deal with any of us if we weren't getting any sleep. Besides people under 18 would have to go back to their rooms anyway at midnight due to curfew laws so it wouldn't be nearly that cool nor would I or our con yojimbo want to be up patrolling to make sure kidlets were in their rooms and not lurking about trying to get into 18+ events

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 07:10:54 pm »
We don't have near enough staff for a 24 hour con even if we did have the money.

Oh, and if you don't have any by the time the convention rolls around, there is a dollar store right on the other side of Lloyd center!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 07:57:24 pm »
My homebody, Steve (DJ White Raven), is going to DJ the dance!  You should look forward to it if you're into raves because he's a happy hardcore DJ!

Swing him some support, holla!

http://www.supporthardcore.com/
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Faaedab

• Sailor Scout
    • My myspace
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 08:44:51 pm »
w00t kick arse!!! im lookin forward to it. oh and btw thanx for the cheap glowstick places
Working on my Reno cosplay. my hair is getting close to being long enough already w00t.