Author Topic: Motion for a dedicated motion discussion area on the forums  (Read 2357 times)

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Motion for a dedicated motion discussion area on the forums
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
The extra text around the motion is my digital signature.  This is something I will be adding to all official motions and such that I produce from now on.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Motion for a dedicated motion discussion area on the forums.

It is my belief that we will be able to get through the voting section of meetings faster, and with more informed voters, if we have an area of the forums that is dedicated for motion discussion.

If passed, this motion shall enforce the creation of a forum discussion area of the following requirements.  Such an area may optionally be created before this motion passes. (Formally spelling out, 'live meetings'.)

1) A dedicated area in which not less then any staff member may create a topic (motion).
2) Allow for anyone, including anonymous persons (where there is any possible way), to view and reply to topics (motions).
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: http://firegpg.tuxfamily.org

iD8DBQFHvJ6XNtNlwzbQFW0RAvx+AJ92MqPhNcGXRbbmFhHUnAPYE5r9wgCglwLq
APq6rHT7D4B0MsbaSj85Nhw=
=X4BX
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: Motion for a dedicated motion discussion area on the forums
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:31:01 pm »
I do think that motions and official discussions deserve a better area, but I don't think we need to create a specific forum for Motions themselves.

Perhaps we can turn the Elections board into a sort of "Official Business" forum for all things Alto Nimbus (as opposed to Kumoricon, heh heh).

Elections, motions, and bylaws discussion seem pretty official to me.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:05:10 pm »
That would work too.  However in that case I'd strongly suggest that all motions should be prefixed by Motion: like some newsgroups/email systems do... for example.

Motion: Dedicated motion discussion area on the forums.
Motion: Lunch slots A and B during convention days, Pizza provided during both lunches.

Just as some examples... (Yeah the second one is completely fictions and I don't plan on proposing it.)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:14:21 pm »
I don't plan on this.

There's really no need for every suggestion to be a motion, anyway. Just make the suggestion. We're not a debating society, and it's unlikely we'll adopt Robert's Rules in the next version of the bylaws because it's not fitting to the way we operate. Many of us have been reading it as a guide and for ideas for revising the bylaws, but it would be a huge burden on the con to be bound by it. I don't think most people want to move toward this type of formality in the meetings, and I know I'm in favor of, as a general guideline and when possible, keeping the meetings informal and as much a social event as an opportunity to get con work done.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »
It is true that this specific portion of it might be adopted as a suggestion.  There is nothing preventing you from doing so Jeff.  However both the Membership and the Board passing this should, in my mind at least, make it a requirement, an actual operating procedure, that must be followed.  That is precisely why I want this to reach an actual vote.  I don't want anyone to be able to go back on it without going through the same level of effort.  It would also be possible to build off of this in several ways.  Though I have a single path in mind my self, I am holding back those pieces until there is either a proper area for discussion, or the motion is voted upon at the next meeting.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:09:24 am »
Which how many motions and discussions that are being made (mostly from you), it might be somewhat nice to have an area dedicated to official buisiness. Therefore, it won't bog down the general disscussion area and so people can have there fun-fun posting/reading/lurking time on the forums.

Though I foresee this area probably won't have a whole lot of traffic in the future once the bylaws are revamped and ratified. And I don't think it was necessary for you to make a motion about the creation of suggested forum.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:37:24 am »
Which how many motions and discussions that are being made (mostly from you), it might be somewhat nice to have an area dedicated to official buisiness. Therefore, it won't bog down the general disscussion area and so people can have there fun-fun posting/reading/lurking time on the forums.

Though I foresee this area probably won't have a whole lot of traffic in the future once the bylaws are revamped and ratified. And I don't think it was necessary for you to make a motion about the creation of suggested forum.

Yes actually.  That was the inspiration.  I realized that there should be an area dedicated for all motions, for all things that the staff are expected to vote on.  I've not yet thought of exactly what the wording should be, but I'd like to see everything the staff will be voting on placed in that area.  That way we don't have situations like at the last meeting, and all of this 'delay for discussion until the next meeting' stuff we've had at the last two can be taken care of before the first meeting.
---
Staff 2007-2010