Author Topic: Need help finding a pattern. Please!  (Read 1504 times)

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
Need help finding a pattern. Please!
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:36:07 am »
Hello all! I'm in need of an Organization 13 pattern from Kingdom Hearts 2. I'm not good enough at sewing yet to be able to alter one *is lame*. Can anyone find a good pattern for me?

Another question is, if I find one, I'll have to print it in many 8x11 pieces, correct? Well where would I go from them? Should I try tracing it onto a larger sheet of paper? Makes sense to me. I'm wondering if this will get to hard and complicated. >.<

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Re: Need help finding a pattern. Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:45:07 pm »
It would probably be better to find a pattern to alter, if you're thinking about going through the trouble of printing out 8x11 pieces and putting them together...

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:40:37 pm »
Well, it was challenging to find a good photo of this costume (I suspect there may be variations to the costume among the members, so you'd have to pic your favorite version - next time you ask for assistance, please include links to good pictures, or a picture of the character that shows off the costume well).

The image that I finally found shows some descent views of front, side and back of the costume. It reminds me of the jacket that Neo wears in "the Matrix" (add a hood and make the sleeves wider at the bottom). Simplicity has a pattern for that costume, #5386 (http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=5386). Since that isn't an exact match (no hood, straight sleeves), you are going to have to do some "pattern bashing" by borrowing sections from other patterns. The sleeves should be easy to widen at the wrists without purchasing another pattern. Adding the curved detail lines along the shoulders takes a pencil and scissors (just pin the Neo pattern together, hold it up to a friend's body and mark where you want that detail to sit; cut on that line and add seam allowances to make it sewable -- BRING pattern & good (shows costume well - we don't care about character's face) printed picture of the character to a kumoricon meeting and find ME...I'll help.).

For the hood, you can either trace out the parts of the hood of one of your own sweatshirts, or grab a pattern for a hooded sweatshirt. Simplicity 3651 has the hood style you need <http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?dvPage=designFrontBack.cfm&design=3651>

The only time you'll have to print 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and tape together is if you purchase a pattern that's only available in a computer file. Regular patterns are already printed on tissue paper and come in multiple sizes so if your measurements match different sizes, you can easily adjust them to fit.

Do keep an eye on the JoAnn's flyers. Periodically, they have sales on Simplicity patterns. The recent flyer has patterns for 1.99, but at least 4 times a year they have them on sale for 99 cents each.

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:26:33 pm »
Also, on Cosplay.com there is a tutorial using the pattern mentioned by Runa. It shows you step-by-step how to alter it :)

Planned Cosplay '09

Roxas - Christmas Town, Cyber Punk, and Masquerade. Bringing other versions, too.
Naruto - Shippuden Naru