Author Topic: Prop-making woodworkers in Portland area?  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Prop-making woodworkers in Portland area?
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:13:24 pm »
I suppose it must be obvious where I am in my costume-assembling process what with the topics I've been making, but the next thing I am looking to commission is wooden props. I'm not sure whether it will be possible to do this by the start of the convention, but I figure it'll be worth a try.

I need a sword, a scabbard, and possibly a shield.  I'm cosplaying Link from Twilight Princess.  The shield will probably have to wait until after Kumori Con; I could just buy the commercial replica for now and upgrade to something better later on, in time for Sakura Con.  If I have to resort to buying the commercial replica for the sword, however, I won't be able to unsheathe it inside the hotel since it'll be made of steel (unsharpened, but still steel, and Yojimbo don't want us waving even blunt metal around).

The sword always goes along with the scabbard, and the scabbard is pretty detailed, too. I'd want to commission both at once since it'd be best if they're made together.  Below is a piece of artwork and a photo, showing the original art and the commercial replica's interpretation of the sword as an example.

Artwork:
http://i35.tinypic.com/1z3uhc6.jpg

Replica photo:
http://www.swordsswords.com/ProductImages/s/legend_of_zelda_sword_2.jpg

I'm hoping for a prop that looks real from a distance and is painted with a glossy finish. I have a decent budget available, I'm not sure how much I should be expecting to pay. The price would determine whether I can afford it by Kumori Con.  Are there any skilled woodworkers out there who have time for a prop commission over the next four weeks?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:22:14 pm by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Re: Prop-making woodworkers in Portland area?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:32:40 pm »
Sometimes at Conventions they sell Link's props in the Dealer's Hall, so if worse comes to worse you could look there.

Have you tried looking on eBay for one already made and order it? If you order it before this weekend, and ask the seller to guarantee it'd be to you by the first day of the convention, it should be there in plenty of time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEGEND-OF-ZELDA-LINK-HYLIAN-SHIELD-FOR-COSTUME-COSPLAY_W0QQitemZ230274040614QQihZ013QQcategoryZ106903QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That's just the shield on eBay for about 35$ with s&h.

The only sword/shield I could find were metal and was about 240$ not including s&h.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:44:07 pm »
Sometimes at Conventions they sell Link's props in the Dealer's Hall, so if worse comes to worse you could look there.

Have you tried looking on eBay for one already made and order it? If you order it before this weekend, and ask the seller to guarantee it'd be to you by the first day of the convention, it should be there in plenty of time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEGEND-OF-ZELDA-LINK-HYLIAN-SHIELD-FOR-COSTUME-COSPLAY_W0QQitemZ230274040614QQihZ013QQcategoryZ106903QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That's just the shield on eBay for about 35$ with s&h.

The only sword/shield I could find were metal and was about 240$ not including s&h.

I've looked for props on eBay. The shield I found looks decent; it's made of metal with resin for the details. I'm not sure how its photo will compare to seeing it in person, but it looks pretty impressive so far:

http://i19.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/df/e8/26d6_1.JPG

As for the sword, my problem is not price but quality. I don't know where you found one for $240, but was it metal?  I specifically need wood because of the safety issue.

The most recent official metal replica is excellent, and I can buy one for under $100. ALL of the wooden replicas I have found, however, suck. There is very little detail, and most of the detail is incorrect in some way. The prices for a commercial wooden Master Sword are cheap as dirt....but unfortunately it shows.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:49:52 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:06:35 pm »
I know what you mean about affordable and it showing ><

Yeah the one I found was metal but it was metal sword & shield.

Here's a better priced one for about 110$, shield and sword. And it is metal. *shield is wood*

Safety issue yes, but they will be peacebonded anyway.

You might have to hold off on getting the sword and just make a quick staff for Link from Oracle of Seasons?
http://triforcezelda.com/link_rod.jpg
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:55:16 am »
I know what you mean about affordable and it showing ><

Yeah the one I found was metal but it was metal sword & shield.

Here's a better priced one for about 110$, shield and sword. And it is metal. *shield is wood*

Ah, okay. :) I'm curious to see what you found. Could I possibly see both links?...

Safety issue yes, but they will be peacebonded anyway.

Again, the policy for steel of any kind is that it must be in the scabbard and unable to be drawn (i.e. with zip ties). And since Link keeps his scabbard on his back, I basically wouldn't be able to pose with it at all; it'd just be part of the costume.

You might have to hold off on getting the sword and just make a quick staff for Link from Oracle of Seasons?
http://triforcezelda.com/link_rod.jpg

Hehe, that'd be kinda funny... my costume will involve a leather tunic/hat and chain mail. Twilight Princess Link doesn't mix well with the Gameboy Zelda games. ;) Thanks for the suggestion, though.

If I didn't have a sword to pose with, I'm probably going to go with other props. For starters, a friend of mine has a stuffed chicken he made that looks like a Cuccoo. I'm going to look for wide-mouthed bottles with giant corks (my mother has several but doesn't want to give one up).... and I *do* have a very nice playable replica of the Ocarina of Time, even though it's from a different game. And just for lawls, I'm thinking of posing with a Rubix Cube.

...But anyway, I'd still like to find somebody to commission a wooden shield/scabbard set.

Anyone... hint hint...?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:06:48 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:48:26 pm »
Curse ctrl+v >> I know I posted that link... *looks for it again*

http://cgi.ebay.com/Legend-of-Zelda-TWP-Links-MASTER-Sword-Gen-II-Shield_W0QQitemZ110271948945QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43337QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
There ^_^ And if it doesn't show up again I will scream and give you a tinyurl link =_=;
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:19:09 pm »
Curse ctrl+v >> I know I posted that link... *looks for it again*

http://cgi.ebay.com/Legend-of-Zelda-TWP-Links-MASTER-Sword-Gen-II-Shield_W0QQitemZ110271948945QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43337QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
There ^_^ And if it doesn't show up again I will scream and give you a tinyurl link =_=;

Ah, okay, cool. :)

That's a good deal for what you're getting, to be sure. But I'd rather have a combo of that sword and the super-detailed shield I noted earlier. The shield in this auction is very simple; I made something similar when I was a kid (albeit with help). At least the design is accurate, though.

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:31:11 pm »
Yeah that shield isn't too good, but you're getting an awsome sword with it so.. *shrug*
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:02:02 pm »
Yeah that shield isn't too good, but you're getting an awsome sword with it so.. *shrug*
Yep, but you might as well just buy the sword. :)

Well, it looks like I'm not getting any action here.  If nobody's up to the commission, I'm just going to go with the commercial replicas for now.  Now it's just a matter of price-hunting...

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:20:57 pm »
OMG I found a WOODEN sword for you on ebay. Had to search "Link Sword" and look through a few's descriptions to find the word wooden >>;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Links-Master-Sword-Legend-of-Zelda-Twilight-Princes_W0QQitemZ180270999443QQihZ008QQcategoryZ475QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's another good one, but it doesn't say if it's wood or metal anywhere oO;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Twilight-Princess-Zelda-Video-Game-Link-Master-Sword_W0QQitemZ160265602165QQihZ006QQcategoryZ43337QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:36:27 pm »
OMG I found a WOODEN sword for you on ebay. Had to search "Link Sword" and look through a few's descriptions to find the word wooden >>;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Links-Master-Sword-Legend-of-Zelda-Twilight-Princes_W0QQitemZ180270999443QQihZ008QQcategoryZ475QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's another good one, but it doesn't say if it's wood or metal anywhere oO;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Twilight-Princess-Zelda-Video-Game-Link-Master-Sword_W0QQitemZ160265602165QQihZ006QQcategoryZ43337QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah, I've investigated pretty much every Master Sword on eBay... there are about 6 or 7 different types, once you figure out which ones offer the same item as a different seller.  The first one you linked to is definitely the best wooden Master Sword on eBay. However, it lacks just a little bit of detail... the gem is painted on, the sheath is flat, and the hilt isn't ridged. I know I'm being hopelessly picky, but what can I say; I'm going for mad photo ops... >.>;

The second one is the most detailed Master Sword on eBay, and the one I'm now planning on getting. And yes, it is metal, but the blade isn't sharpened. :) This may mean that it's still against the rules to draw it in con space, but it's much less of a safety risk, and also legal to carry unsheathed in public (outside the hotel).

So... that means sword poses outside the hotel, and item poses inside. Hopefully that'll satisfy the kamerako.* ;)  And if the metal one doesn't work out very well at Kumori Con, I could always just buy both by Sakura Con and alternate depending on where I am.......

* means "camera kids," a Japanese term for plainclothes fans who are real shutterbugs.

Edit:

I take it back... this item is about the most detailed Master Sword I've seen. o_O; However, it is all metal, the hilt isn't blue, the gem is red instead of yellow, and it doesn't come with a sheath...so overall, I'm sticking with the second sword you mentioned in your post.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:09:53 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 12:22:27 am »
I saw that one too, but that one's meant for - just like it's pictured - hanging on the wall. That's also the one from Ocarina of Time it looks like (Dark Link probably). The one I showed you is from Twilight Princess I think.

Any luck on a shield?
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:47:25 am »
Actually, I'm pretty sure that one's from Twilight Princess, because they actually went so far as to engrave the symbols around the round part of the sword. That amount of detail is only in Twilight Princess, and it's so small that it's only visible in ONE of the pieces of character art (222kb image):

http://images.psxextreme.com/wallpapers/ps3/zelda_twilight_princess_02.jpg

I agree, though, it's meant for wall-mounting. It seems people who buy wall-mounted swords don't care much about color and prefer all-metal. They usually cut out anything that isn't metal and replace all the colored gems with red gems. There is a VERY nice Ordon Sword, actually, which would be perfect after wrapping the grip with leather, but it doesn't come with an accurate sheath, and getting someone to make one would cost a lot. :(

And yes, I've decided on two items. This, and this.

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 01:08:15 am »
Good choice but that shield looked so dark I thought it'd better fit a Dark Link.

What Odoron sword did you find? I only found a metal one without a shield oO;
This one.
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 10:28:20 am »
Good choice but that shield looked so dark I thought it'd better fit a Dark Link.

What Odoron sword did you find? I only found a metal one without a shield oO;
This one.

The shield is dark, but it's a dark game, at least relative to the usual Zelda fare. It's still blue, and the detail is second to none, so I'm fine with it. It'll make it easier to differentiate me from Ocarina of Time Link.

Yeah, that'd be the Ordon sword I was talking about. :) It doesn't come with a shield, but I'd just use the Hylian shield we're talking about. What bothers me isn't the lack of a shield but rather the lack of an (accurate) sheath...  :-\ ....oh well....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:30:33 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 11:38:49 am »
both me and my twin (link and dark link [mix between OoT and TP design]) have the metal sword you talked about in the first post. Although we can't draw them in the con space, we are allowed to for out-door photo shoots and get them re-tied when we re-ender the con space. They are very good swords!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 04:56:09 pm »
Yeah Sheath's are pretty hard to find accurate  :-\

As for the indoor vs outdoor... Don't you have to have your weapon/prop peacebonded at all times as long as you're a convention attendee? Otherwise you CAN get in trouble with the local law.

Transporting it - if publicly - will be different. You'd need to have a blanket or bag to wrap it in so it doesn't look like you're wielding it to harm people.
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 10:56:21 pm »
both me and my twin (link and dark link [mix between OoT and TP design]) have the metal sword you talked about in the first post. Although we can't draw them in the con space, we are allowed to for out-door photo shoots and get them re-tied when we re-ender the con space. They are very good swords!

Good to hear a testimonial! :) I'm glad it wasn't too much of a burden to save them for outdoor shoots. It's so much nicer having actual metal.

Incidentally, we should start looking into a Zelda photoshoot and arranging to have at least part of it outside, for that very reason.

Yeah Sheath's are pretty hard to find accurate  :-\

If you need one that matches a sword, and it doesn't come WITH the sword, then you pretty much have to commission it. I'll see about it for next con, but if I can't commission an Ordon sheath without spending more than the cost of the Master Sword and matching sheath combined, I might not bother. Unlike regular props, a sheath has to be carefully made to fit the sword.

As for the indoor vs outdoor... Don't you have to have your weapon/prop peacebonded at all times as long as you're a convention attendee? Otherwise you CAN get in trouble with the local law.

Transporting it - if publicly - will be different. You'd need to have a blanket or bag to wrap it in so it doesn't look like you're wielding it to harm people.

To my understanding, local law allows you to bear unsharpened stage steel in public as long as you don't look like you're threatening anybody with it. The rule about "no stage steel in the hotel" is a business decision on the part of the hotel, probably to keep regular hotel guests from feeling threatened.

It's too bad the DoubleTree doesn't have a garden, like Seattle's Downtown Convention Center. When people are posing with weapons in the garden, it's pretty obvious they're only there for the photo ops.

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 11:03:24 pm »
Actually the park has some nice areas you can get pictures. Not at night, but otherwise it's pretty good.
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 02:25:05 am »
Actually the park has some nice areas you can get pictures. Not at night, but otherwise it's pretty good.

No prob. Outdoor photos at night don't work very well (unless you have NIGHT VISION). Also, since my costume requires a metal sword and shield, two layers of clothing, and chain mail, chances are I won't want to wear it during the evening.

On the plus side, maybe I'll lose weight at this con, considering how much of a workout it's gonna be. :P

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 02:38:09 am »
LOL Yeah it takes serious muscle to lug around props - and just the costume alone!
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 11:46:18 pm »
LOL Yeah it takes serious muscle to lug around props - and just the costume alone!

Yeah, no doubt. ;)

The good news is that my leatherworker has promised to devise a mount for the shield, so I will theoretically be able to put both sword and shield on my back and have my hands free for awhile. However, that's still another 10+ pounds on my back. 30 pounds of metal... woo!!!  Who needs iron boots?

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 03:32:17 am »
Yeah, now we know why Link doesn't run in them in the game. Poor Epona when Link's wearing them! :'(
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 12:51:07 pm »
Yeah, now we know why Link doesn't run in them in the game. Poor Epona when Link's wearing them! :'(

Nahh, I wouldn't worry about Epona. Link's really short, see. His height probably cancels out the weight of any equipment he might carry. ;)

But in Twilight Princess, if you ever try to make Link get onto Epona while wearing the Iron Boots (or the Magic Armor when you have no rupees), she bucks that bugger RIGHT off...heh!

Hmmm... that gives me a fun idea. I should search around for a toy stick-horse that looks like Epona, and "ride" around the convention with it. ;)

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 02:28:02 am »
XDD That'd be the funniest thing ever!

It's like that Link in one of those con pictures with a stuffed Cuccoo on his back XD Totally got pwned.
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 12:50:33 pm »
XDD That'd be the funniest thing ever!

It's like that Link in one of those con pictures with a stuffed Cuccoo on his back XD Totally got pwned.

I hope to have one of those, too! ;)

It'll be fun running around the convention, carrying one of those over my head while bearing an intent look.

Edit:

My shield came today!...

But... it's right-handed. >_<;; The pictures showed it as left-handed... so I'm complaining to the seller. I hope he can actually remedy the problem. Sigh. Oh well... at least it looks good. Needs to be touched up with some paint, but looks good.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:18:31 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 08:01:01 pm »
oO; You mean you gotta hold it on your left hand? Well Twilight Princess's WII version DID make Link right-handed (such a crime) >>; My GC version has him left handed. Apparently to not make the game all over, they just made the WII version a mirror version, so everything on the right is on the left *shrug*

Here's that picture of the Link that got pwned XD

Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 01:13:22 am »
oO; You mean you gotta hold it on your left hand? Well Twilight Princess's WII version DID make Link right-handed (such a crime) >>; My GC version has him left handed. Apparently to not make the game all over, they just made the WII version a mirror version, so everything on the right is on the left *shrug*

Yeah, I know that, but *I'M* left-handed, so it'd suck to have to do that. :( Plus, I insist that Link has been left-handed since 1985, and he uses his left hand in all the artwork, so lefty Link is canon. ;)

Here's that picture of the Link that got pwned XD

...Priceless...

Although, if we wanna get technical, cuccoos don't attack in Twilight Princess. :-X (They're still immortal, though)

(Yes, I know the picture is of Ocarina of Time Link, so it is quite appropriate for Link to be pwned)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:14:33 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 01:26:07 am »

Yeah, no doubt. ;)

The good news is that my leatherworker has promised to devise a mount for the shield, so I will theoretically be able to put both sword and shield on my back and have my hands free for awhile. However, that's still another 10+ pounds on my back. 30 pounds of metal... woo!!!  Who needs iron boots?

Iron boots?  You are crazy!
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 01:31:27 am »
Iron boots?  You are crazy!

Whoooah, boy. It was just to illustrate a point. :)  Iron boots are just about the most un-fun accessory I can think of in Link's arsenal (if you made them out of real metal, at least).

Apollo Justice

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 am »
I will destroy you as I am dark link!

However not going with shield, don't want to hawl it around.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 01:40:34 am »

Then I will shield-bash you into oblivion, as that is one technique you won't be able to mimic....

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 02:03:08 am »
ROFL XDDD

I vaguely remember wacking the cuccos in Kakariko and then running for my life when they swarmed me >>; I could be remembering my stupidity in Ocarina of Time over in the Ranch... But I'm pretty sure my Link got pwned in TP too.

*high five* I'm a lefty too! DEATH TO RIGHT HANDED LINKS!!!  :D
Kumori'15

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 01:43:05 pm »
In TP if you wack cucoos enough you can run around as one for about a minute (or If you try to leave the area)
Is much fun! ;D

(I'm Ambidextrous... as well as my twin... so our link/dark link will be leftys!!!)
The shield is to much to haul, so I approve of shield-less link  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:44:40 pm by NightLotus »

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 03:32:50 pm »
ROFL XDDD

I vaguely remember wacking the cuccos in Kakariko and then running for my life when they swarmed me >>; I could be remembering my stupidity in Ocarina of Time over in the Ranch... But I'm pretty sure my Link got pwned in TP too.

*high five* I'm a lefty too! DEATH TO RIGHT HANDED LINKS!!!  :D

Right-handed Dark Links are allowed. :)

Cuccoos don't attack Link in TP, but they're still invincible. My favorite trick is to go to Lake Hylia, drop down to the water with a cuccoo, wear the Zora Tunic and Iron Boots, and stand about 20 feet underwater below a floating cuccoo. Then I clawshot it repeatedly to keep it underwater. ;) They don't drown, but it's fun to watch...

(I'm Ambidextrous... as well as my twin... so our link/dark link will be leftys!!!)
The shield is to much to haul, so I approve of shield-less link  ;D

Awesome!! ^^

Hey, I just got my Master Sword. Personally, the weight of the sword bothers me far more than the shield. The shield is attached to your arm in two places, and weighs less. The sword weights at least two pounds more, and all the weight is in the blade. Since it's fairly long to begin with, that'll make it very hard to hold aloft for poses. I don't think I'm going to object to having it sheathed most of the time....

Apollo Justice

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 03:50:46 pm »
I don't really mind the sword, but I think that is because i fence, and so am used to a weight at the end of my left arm! :D

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 05:09:57 pm »

Then I will shield-bash you into oblivion, as that is one technique you won't be able to mimic....
Haha ,not anymore, now dark link will be shielded too!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 07:28:13 pm »
Good idea. You should probably practice holding the sword for a bit and see how you can  stand it.
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 01:09:03 am »
I don't really mind the sword, but I think that is because i fence, and so am used to a weight at the end of my left arm! :D

I'm used to holding a sword, though only for show... the thing is that the hilt is plastic, so it doesn't do anything to counterbalance the weight of the blade. Normally you should be able to balance a sword on one finger by holding it very close to the hilt. This one requires you to move pretty far down the blade before it'll balance.  Oh well... I'll just invoke the Rule of Cool and call it good. 8)

Haha ,not anymore, now dark link will be shielded too!

Okay. *throws a bottle at you!*

Good idea. You should probably practice holding the sword for a bit and see how you can  stand it.

There's only so much a wrist can account for...you know, leverage and all. I figure I'll just have to stay away from certain poses... namely, the ones that require me to hold the sword straight out, blade forward. Of course, I'm mostly going to have it sheathed during the con, so it's not a big deal either way.

Hmmm... it occurs to me that three of us will have the exact same sword. :) Fun.

Apollo Justice

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:35 am »
me, my twin, and you right?
(The sword seller sent us a third for free... and we are looking to sell it... Do you know of anyone who would want it?)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 03:25:45 pm »
me, my twin, and you right?
(The sword seller sent us a third for free... and we are looking to sell it... Do you know of anyone who would want it?)

Really? Nice deal! As for someone who might want it... well, not sure if he's interested, but melchizedek here is currently using a plastic sword. ;) You might ask him what his price range is.  I'm not sure whether he'd want it painted black or not. Some images show him with a black sword, others don't...

(usually the ones that don't are complete shadows)

Apollo Justice

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 12:56:04 pm »
I dropped by my leatherworker's place and got to see what he's doing with the belts and pouches! I'm very pumped. :D He put a lot of effort into both. He said "I've never spent so much time on a single pouch..." Hehe.

The bracer's half done, too, and it's coming along perfectly. We even figured out a way to hang the sword and shield on the back of the baldric (sword belt) just like he does in the game. What's more, I brought along an empty bottle and he wants to rig up a little harness to allow it to hang from the belt.

This is honestly the most fun I've had putting a costume together. Next I'm going to be pulling apart chain links to trim the sleeves of the chain mail. :)

Apollo Justice

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 01:29:30 pm »
My friend, Harli, learned how to make chain mail in high school. "Lots of fun, but lots of time. Good thing to keep you busy for hours on end," she said  :D
Kumori'15

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 03:44:28 pm »
My friend, Harli, learned how to make chain mail in high school. "Lots of fun, but lots of time. Good thing to keep you busy for hours on end," she said  :D

Yeah, from the sound of it, it's like knitting with metal. ;)

I don't have enough time to spare for making chainmail, but just trimming the sleeves shouldn't take more than an hour or two, so it's a nice taste of the hobby.

Apollo Justice