Author Topic: Read or Die OVA  (Read 4994 times)

Offline CardCaptorConnor-EX

• Sailor Scout
Read or Die OVA
« on: December 27, 2007, 09:56:33 pm »
Yasashiburi everyone...

*Slight spoilers follow*

So I was at the library today and I picked up "R.O.D. Read or Die".  I had read the manga a little, and this looked intresting.
I was extremely impressed.  It started out slow, but plot-twists kept coming and the story became more intresting and picked up pace.  It was like a sci-fi James Bond movie (except a lot of this could not have been done in live-action).
I also noticed that I don't hear about this OVA on other forums or websites I surf.  I was wondering if any of my Kumori Friends had seen it, and what you thought of it.

I hope to talk to you peoples more often!
CCC-EX
Watashi wa iroppoi wo motekuru.

But you probably already knew that.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
*Slight spoilers continue*
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 03:48:08 am »
Yasashi-buri everyone...
Why, It's been a while since I've been kind and polite as well! (yasashi)

So I was at the library today and I picked up "R.O.D. Read or Die". /// I was extremely impressed.  /// It was like a sci-fi James Bond movie (except a lot of this could not have been done in live-action)
I saw R-O-D a few years ago and I also really enjoyed many things about it -  the animation style, settings, and the unusual 'special skills' the characters had - such as 'control of paper things.'

As for the Bond angle - yes I agree too, and there have been quite a number of AMVs using Bond trailer audio plus R-O-D. The music flat-out kicketh arse; I even used a snippet of "Bring all the Knowledge to England" in one of my own AMVs. The OP has a perfectly authentic cheezy-70's mood to it - you're waiting for a narrator to say "A QUINN-MARTIN PRODUCTION." (I was there. I watched those shows. About 25% of the footage is two grim-looking guys in city car chases with HUGE, square, quarter-acre hoods.) Hilarious fun.

BUT I WAS DISAPPOINTED WITH THE ENDING. A key plot thread gets LEFT HANGING, and so it seems like a great set-up for a 13- or 26-ep series, but *poof* nothing ever took off in that direction. (Drat.) There *is* a R-O-D TV series, but it mainly focuses on three other new characters, and the story pace is as slow and diffuse as Kanon/Air/Aria (TV series, I don't mean the games. And hey, I know that some people enjoyed those series - I'm just not one of them.)

I watched about 5 eps of R-O-D/TV, then skipped ahead to the last 2, and I don't remember much. Just failed to make a lasting impression on me.

The 3ep OVA was definitely a fun ride while it lasted.

• Sailor Scout
Re: *Slight spoilers continue*
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:27:14 am »

BUT I WAS DISAPPOINTED WITH THE ENDING. A key plot thread gets LEFT HANGING, and so it seems like a great set-up for a 13- or 26-ep series, but *poof* nothing ever took off in that direction. (Drat.) There *is* a R-O-D TV series, but it mainly focuses on three other new characters, and the story pace is as slow and diffuse as Kanon/Air/Aria (TV series, I don't mean the games. And hey, I know that some people enjoyed those series - I'm just not one of them.)
What plot thread did you see hanging?  I thought a lot of the story was closed up;[SPOILER] The characters we thought had died 15 mins. earlier we're alive, Nancy lost her memories; it felt rather conclusive. [/SPOILER]
And I think after watching this, I at leastave to try watch ROD TV.  :)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: Read or Die OVA
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:01:41 am »
I loved ROD, the OVAs that is.

There are plenty of fans at Kumoricon too! I think one of the cosplay contest winners last year was Ms Readman!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 01:57:39 pm »
I have Read or die, an watch it once a month.i refuse to acknowledge The TV as part of the same set. it was an utter disappointment. as far as the series in general, when it comes to the papermasters, THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!![cue highlander style decapitation scene]
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 06:35:34 pm »
i love read or die, I havent seen the anime read or dream but i have read the manga for it, but yeah my younger brother had noticed it and recorded it off of cartoon net work one late night when it was on he was like "they made an anime about my sister!"**
i've even cosplayed yomiko before
of read or dream i really liked anita

**that untill he saw the character jessica from fma the week before i had been cleaning my room and i started putting the books i found on my bed and was sitting on the ground next to my bed when they started falling on my head....**
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:39:19 pm »
I love it! It's totally awesome.

Is it true Yomiko's totally different in the series though?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 12:41:45 am »
I love it! It's totally awesome.

Is it true Yomiko's totally different in the series though?

she less sure of herself in the manga, not as confident, so a bit differnt but she is still yomiko
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 09:39:08 am »
I pray for the day they decide to make a series based directly off the Read or Die Manga
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 05:22:51 pm »
Horray for more ROD OVA fans! 
I have Vol. 1 of the manga, and I read it over on our car trip (the reason why I didn't post).  I liked it, but the dialouge was somewhat cheesy.  And I missed Nancy! 

@superjaz:  It almost seemed like Yomiko was acting moe-like in the manga.  Like you said, in the anime she is a lot more confident.

And yay for R.O.D. cosplayers!  I hope there are some at '08!

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 12:26:38 pm »
Yay!  R.O.D. OVA is going to be on TV!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-01-03/america's-sci-fi-channel-adds-anime-on-tuesdays
So it's gonna be on the Sci-Fi channel on February 5th.  I'm glad I get that one! =]

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 06:23:59 pm »
i agree the ova was far superior to the tv
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MikeJ1592

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 12:36:26 am »
R.O.D. = ROXors

I loved that anime, I bought up the dvd's after seeing a few downloaded episodes.  Really cool story and its amazing what they can do with a few sheets of paper.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: *Moderate spoiler here* - last ep OVA
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 04:15:58 pm »
What plot thread did you see hanging?
This will give SOME stuff away but hopefully not TOO much. From what I remember from watching a few years back, Yomiko gets *something* important taken from her either stolen, or against her will or under duress or threat. And the guy with the *object* seems (iirc) to simply ESCAPE...

Am I misremembering this?

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 08:59:24 am »
This will give SOME stuff away but hopefully not TOO much. From what I remember from watching a few years back, Yomiko gets *something* important taken from her either stolen, or against her will or under duress or threat. And the guy with the *object* seems (iirc) to simply ESCAPE...

If you mean that rare book that gets taken from Yomiko constantly, yes she loses it and it's rarely mentioned afterwards.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 11:08:41 am »

If you mean that rare book that gets taken from Yomiko constantly, yes she loses it and it's rarely mentioned afterwards.

*Big Spoiler Here.  Don't read if you haven't seen Read or Die OVA!*

Are you refering to the book Joker took from her, or the one the E-Jins keep taking from her?  Because at the end she gets the latter back, and turns it into a parachute so she can land safely after jumping off the spacecraft that was going to play the suicide song.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 06:12:30 am »
Yeah that was it.
I was rarin' to go and watch Yomiko and her friends GET that guy , and get her book back, but alas, the show ... just ... ended ....

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 08:36:02 am »

Oh yeah!

Hah I totally forgot about that

*Big Spoiler Here.  Don't read if you haven't seen Read or Die OVA!*

Are you refering to the book Joker took from her, or the one the E-Jins keep taking from her?  Because at the end she gets the latter back, and turns it into a parachute so she can land safely after jumping off the spacecraft that was going to play the suicide song.