Author Topic: SALEM CON GOERS!!! join the meet-up group!  (Read 8377 times)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
SALEM CON GOERS!!! join the meet-up group!
« on: September 06, 2004, 05:45:51 pm »
Hi everyone.  I for one am really bummed that the con is all over.  It was so much fun and I was able to meet some of the supercool salem area anime fans like Irnogs, Sushi_Glomper (and her friend), and I met the talented Ms. Filkaeris just a little bit.  All very cool and great people.

Anyway, I decided to take on the job of being the organizer for the salem anime meet up group and it turns out the first scheduled meeting is coming up on THURSDAY the 9th!!!!  8O  

So, in my efforts to make this anime group really work I want to try to get the word out to people that would be interested in meeting up and chatting about the con, anime, whatever...  I won't have this year's pics ready by thursday, but I will bring all my pics from the last con. :)

O.k., now the important stuff:

If you haven't already joined the group here is the webpage for the club and you can easily join up:
http://anime.meetup.com/43/

So, join up, post in the forum, (you have to scroll down a bit to get to it on the forum page for some reason... :roll: )  and let's have some fun!

If you have any questions about where we are going to meet or just want to chat, you can PM me through this forum, or I think the meet-up site also has a way to contact me.

And in case anyone is wondering just who the heck I was at the con, I was the dude with the sideburns, suit, and way too awesome shades. 8)
The trick is not minding.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 07:52:57 pm »
Hehe, yeah it sure was a fun weekend, but I know there's more salem people out there!! Where are you all hiding?! *begins hunting...*

oh, and rarnom.. feel free to email me anytime so we can keep in touch on this :)

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 09:42:42 am »
Hey cool I see that the talented Ms. FilkAeris has joined the meetup group!  Very cool.  I was wondering if anyone has a digital camera that they could bring to the meetup to take some pics of the first meetup that I could post on the meetup page...  I know that Ms. Sushi_Glomper has an excellent cam and maybe she could bring it???  Anyway, I will be posting more about where the meetup is going to be if there are still people who haven't checked out the meetup page yet.  I am also open to location changes in the future if anyone has a favorite place to hang out.

*EDIT*  again
I changed the location to the Governor's Cup.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 10:38:38 am »
I have a digital camera :) Uhmm... where is that place? South Salem is the ONLY part of Salem I don't really know lol...

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 02:08:13 pm »
Quote from: "Irnogs"
I have a digital camera :) Uhmm... where is that place? South Salem is the ONLY part of Salem I don't really know lol...

Here is the addy:
*EDIT*

Governor's Cup Coffee Roasters
471 Court NE
Salem,  OR 97301 - 3639
(503) 581-9675

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 02:22:27 pm »
Unfortunately, I am carless while at college and that is way too far a walk.  >.<  So, barring my hitching a ride with someone from the Willamette campus, I'm going to have to gracefully bow out of this one.

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 02:59:12 pm »
Quote from: "FilkAeris"
Unfortunately, I am carless while at college and that is way too far a walk.  >.<  So, barring my hitching a ride with someone from the Willamette campus, I'm going to have to gracefully bow out of this one.

:(
Understandable.  But we aren't obligated to have it at the McMenamins place, I know lots of people like the Govenor's Cup downtown and maybe we could have it there.  Any thoughts??  I do have the power to change the venue as the great and mighty organizer...  :D

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 10:05:21 am »
Yeah, I've had meetings at the Governor's cup before.. it's way easy to find. I'd be willing to give ya a ride if you needed it though ;) So, uhmm what's on the agenda for this meeting? *Realizing none of those places have tv's/dvd players for use*

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 11:19:46 am »
Yeah, I've had meetings at the Governor's cup before.. it's way easy to find. I'd be willing to give ya a ride if you needed it though ;) So, uhmm what's on the agenda for this meeting? *Realizing none of those places have tv's/dvd players for use*

Ahhhh yes an agenda...   :oops:

No, just kidding.  I think it would be important to discuss what we would want at future meetings and what kinds of locations would work.  I was going to bring my pics from last years convention and I also should have my pics from this years con ready too.

So, as it stands we could just meet up, have some beverage and eats, and share con pics and then discuss ideas for the next meeting.  I also want to talk about the possibility of setting up a more substantial club for viewing anime, like a meeting on a Friday or Saturday night.  We just have to look at the options for where we could show anime and have it be free or at least super cheap.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
VENUE CHANGE
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 11:27:40 am »
O.K.  
I am changing the meetup location to the Governor's Cup coffee shop.
I think this will be a better location for others and I actually prefer the more open type and casual atmosphere.  

Here is the address:

Governor's Cup Coffee Roasters
471 Court NE
Salem,  OR 97301 - 3639
(503) 581-9675

I will also update the meetup page and send out another email with the venue change.  

I plan on bringing one of my friends with me.  I'll be wearing the Kumoricon Shirt.
I don't imagine the meetup lasting any later than 9:30, at least that is when I'll be leaving... :wink:   (you know, stuff to take care of at the homestead...)

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 07:03:04 pm »
doh!  >.< I just confirmed that I must attend a family dinner w/my boyfriend tomorrow. I tried to post this on the meetup board, but ugh can those guys program to save their lives!! Jeez, they have some funny stuff programmed into the keyup event that makes my debugger go crazy every time I release a key when I try to post on there. I'm not about to uninstall all of my development stuff either... anyways... Sorry I can't make it this time... let me know when you would like to meet next

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 07:26:05 pm »
doh!  >.< I just confirmed that I must attend a family dinner w/my boyfriend tomorrow. I tried to post this on the meetup board, but ugh can those guys program to save their lives!! Jeez, they have some funny stuff programmed into the keyup event that makes my debugger go crazy every time I release a key when I try to post on there. I'm not about to uninstall all of my development stuff either... anyways... Sorry I can't make it this time... let me know when you would like to meet next

you know I had the same problem with their boards as well.  I ended up just typing something out in notepad and then pasting it into the message part.  what a joke... :roll:

anyway, I will make sure and give PLENTY of notice before I plan the October meetup.  I still hope to see some of you other Salem anime fans tomorrow night!!  Don't forget to bring your pics of the con if you have any!!!
take care! :D

Offline acidraven

• Cabbit
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 01:32:58 pm »
This is what I get for not being on this board before this weekend, sigh. There are quite a few anime people here in salem. I know about half of the people who used to be at the anime club they had at chemeketa. Let me know when people would like to get together again and I will see what I can do to get some more to show up. Depending on what everyone is doing I know I could add 5-10.
LAter
AcidRaven AKA Chris Weber
Security and Gofor Komoricon 2004

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 03:19:57 pm »
awesome. 8)

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 06:15:15 pm »
yeah... speaking of meet-ups, I'll probably be having another LAN party on Oct 2nd at Chemeketa. I haven't gotten confirmation on the room yet (Mikey better get on that!), but I would imagine that it'll be in Building 34 again. Hmm.. I should be getting another shipment from our sponsor soon for that too... anyone here like Bawls?? hehe

Offline maetel

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/maetel9/
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2004, 08:35:32 pm »
any meetups in Salem I'd like to go to ^^

woah... filkaeris goes to willamette? O.o crazy

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2004, 10:20:31 pm »
hehe.. you're more than welcome to attend any of our meetings/get togethers/parties. :) We'd be glad to have you!

be sure to check the other salem thread in this forum for more!

Offline Casshan

• Oni
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2004, 10:51:47 pm »
what if you are not a con-goer/did not make it to Kumori?

do we get chased off with a stick?
I am a thing of circuits and cyberchips, not flesh and blood...

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2004, 06:36:26 am »
Hey maetel and Casshan awesome to hear that there are more folks interested in the salem area!!!  

If you haven't already, it would be cool if you registered at the meetup site:

http://anime.meetup.com/43

Also check the thread on this board about the October meetup for the latest info.  This weekend is the LAN party put on by ms. Irnogs and I plan on being there with some anime as well as some live action titles.  If you are interested you should come!!
 :D

Offline Casshan

• Oni
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2004, 06:41:36 am »
hmm, Ms. Irnogs is putting on a LAN party?

I may just have to attend ;-)

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2004, 05:57:44 pm »
Yes, LAN party is good. :) We passed out a bunch of flyers today too. Hopefully we get a decent turn out. Oh, and if anybody has a large switch they can bring... PLEASE! I ordered one a while ago, and it should be here in time, but you know how reliable UPS is.. :P Also, if we have a large turn-out I may still need more ports than what would be available. I'm really trying to avoid hubs as it was a disaster last time, so lets hope this works out...

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2004, 05:58:41 pm »
Quote from: "Casshan"
hmm, Ms. Irnogs is putting on a LAN party?

I may just have to attend ;-)

... Hubert? .... I thought so... your "www" kinda gave it away heh. You know, as if the handle didn't make it obvious enough already...

Offline Casshan

• Oni
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2004, 08:40:22 pm »
gee, you're just too clever for me