Author Topic: Sakura Con 2008  (Read 127935 times)

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: Sakura Con 2008
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2008, 07:50:39 pm »
Only a week left...if anyone wants to hang on Thursday I'll be getting there in the early afternoon and will be hanging out with friends sometime that day. Not sure what we're going to be doing..but we can figure that out at the time.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline fuuwindgoddess

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/orihimeichigo
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2008, 03:59:11 pm »
Me and my friends are going to be there on thursday as well, but were not getting there until two or three because were taking the train hehehe i can't wait its almost here ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:01:01 pm by fuuwindgoddess »
ICHIGO CUP OF COFFEE!!!

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:11 am »
We're almost there! *big grin* I'm stupidly excited. I just hope today, tomorrow, and my half-day at work Wednesday go by quick! =D

Planned Cosplay '09

Roxas - Christmas Town, Cyber Punk, and Masquerade. Bringing other versions, too.
Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2008, 09:30:16 am »
I know how you feel I am so excited and cant wait. But I still have a lot to do before thursday.

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2008, 09:35:10 am »
I know how you feel I am so excited and cant wait. But I still have a lot to do before thursday.

Saw yer post in "Positive + Negative", too. Good luck with yer costume!!

Planned Cosplay '09

Roxas - Christmas Town, Cyber Punk, and Masquerade. Bringing other versions, too.
Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2008, 09:36:57 am »
Its almost there, just time consuming and i suck at sewing so im waiting for my wife to have free time to help me.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2008, 09:46:07 am »
I just found out that as sakura con staff for the press room i get to meet one on my most fave manga ka!!!!!!1

super awesom-o
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2008, 11:27:51 am »
I just found out that as sakura con staff for the press room i get to meet one on my most fave manga ka!!!!!!1

super awesom-o

Ooh. Who do you get to meet? I'm intrigued XD My best friend got to see a CLAMP panel once at Anime Expo. I was very jealous D:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:28:13 am by Kirakins »

Planned Cosplay '09

Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2008, 12:36:30 pm »
Hey Kirakins, are you going to be up there?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2008, 03:36:58 pm »
yuna kagesaki!!!!
she writes chibi vampire aka Karin

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:40 pm »
Hey Kirakins, are you going to be up there?
I totally am :D It's my first Sakuracon, WOOT! =DD (I'm a leetle pumped and excited, if ya couldn't tell, lol)

Jaz, I've never read/seen Chibi Vampire/Karin, but I just googled up some images and she looks pretty talented! TOTAL Score that you get to meet her! :D

Planned Cosplay '09

Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2008, 07:23:17 pm »
Anybody still need a place to crash??? If so I probably have room space *gets antsy and looks around* stupid people backing out at the last moment....

I just need to know which hotel you are going to, how much for gas money(or for train or airplane) and money for staying in the hotel per night(because I didn't pre-register in time and I unfortunately don't have a credit card), where to meet you at, which character you're going to cosplay as, (I'll be cosplaying as L Lawliet from Death-Note) etc

Do I need to bring a sleeping bag with me?

A picture of who you look like would work so that when I meet you, I don't waste my time looking for somebody.....

Also, drop me an email at: aphonthany@yahoo.com, please let me know if anything changes within the next few days. I'll also let you know if I can go if it's okay with my mom.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2008, 07:45:49 am »
I actually wasn't planing to go unless there were someone that wanted a recruit for their room.  Now that several people are asking for people to share rooms though my coworkers have asked for said days off already and thus I can't get out of work.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2008, 08:45:45 am »
paul if you get the time off you should talk to patrick i know he has room

only prob with yuna, she has stricty said no pics allowed

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2008, 09:06:25 am »
If I could I would, however it won't be happening.  A friend even said that if I didn't want to wait in the reg line of doom he could try to get me in as staff.  Apparently they need lots more reg people, I wouldn't mind doing that, but again, can't get the time off of work because other people are already out.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2008, 10:54:45 am »
Speaking of registration lines, is it possible to take care of this Thursday night, or should I just do it Friday morning? 

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
If you preregged, you can pick your badge up on Thursday night..though it closes at 9pm on Thursday night so you guys will want to try and get there earlier < .<
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2008, 10:57:01 pm »
If anyone needs a ride to Sakura con I have a free seat in my van

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2008, 11:21:49 pm »
>_< still not finish sewing!!
will sew in car XD~
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2008, 12:52:53 am »
same here

Offline risotto

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2008, 03:57:31 pm »
My sister is attending right now, apparently enjoying the DMX she long to sought for :P She's gonna buy me a certain artbook  once she hits the dealers room~~ *is excited to receive it*

Offline demonotaku

• Cabbit
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2008, 09:48:49 pm »
Well I'm one of the few people from my colleges anime club who didn't go to sakura-con, leaving me to run its event  this week, oh well nothing bothering me from running it lol

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2008, 09:41:40 pm »
I met Yuna! it was awesome I made her a boogy plushie and she took a picture with me becuase she wanted to remeber who made it for her awesome!!!

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2008, 10:37:24 pm »
My son was dressed as sora and had about 100 pictures taken of him and almost just as many hugs. He loved every minute of it.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2008, 02:18:51 am »
That was decidedly mediocre. Kind of takes the fun out of things when you have no money to spend in the dealers room, and have seen all of the shows already this year. The AMV contest had WAY too many Advent Children and Naruto AMVs, mostly set to music of the angsty, nobody-loves-me, just-let-me-die, I'm-going-to-die-alone variety, though there were a few shinning exceptions that I really enjoyed. They showed AMV Hell 4 in main events late Saturday night, which was great.

As always, it lacks the warmth of K-con.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 02:21:03 am by Mister_manji »
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2008, 09:21:24 am »
My son was dressed as sora and had about 100 pictures taken of him and almost just as many hugs. He loved every minute of it.

OMG Was yer son the super chibi Sora?! I tried to take my picture with him as Roxas, he was scurred of me D:

If that indeed was your son, he was so cute, I wanted to stuff him in my pocket and steal him! XD

Planned Cosplay '09

Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline ZombieFace

• Sailor Scout
    • Jailbreak Designs / Photography
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2008, 09:31:09 am »
I totally would have loved to make out with a Roxas.. oh, i did.

~JailBreak Photography~
www.jailbreakdesigns.com

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2008, 01:30:23 pm »

OMG Was yer son the super chibi Sora?! I tried to take my picture with him as Roxas, he was scurred of me D:

If that indeed was your son, he was so cute, I wanted to stuff him in my pocket and steal him! XD
Yes my son was the chibi Sora, at first he was kind of scared of all the attention but he warmed up to it later. My girls even got a little jealous of him because he was getting so much attention.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2008, 01:51:43 pm »

Yes my son was the chibi Sora, at first he was kind of scared of all the attention but he warmed up to it later. My girls even got a little jealous of him because he was getting so much attention.

Were your girls the ones that I saw at the Haruhi Suzumiya Aerobics panel and at the Random Panel of Doom?
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2008, 04:23:48 pm »

Were your girls the ones that I saw at the Haruhi Suzumiya Aerobics panel and at the Random Panel of Doom?
Yes that was them. I will post pics later but my camera died so its charging.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2008, 05:10:12 pm »

They were so cute. Sadly, I don't remember seeing the chibi Sora...   :-[
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Chevi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2008, 06:17:05 pm »
I went!  Had a great time, met some new people.  But I find myself looking forward to KumoriCon more.

Offline GaaraoftheFunk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2008, 06:25:32 pm »
Eh.Sakuracon was okay.Though i missed alot of it due to being sick from the weather.
But i did get loots of pictures taken while i was there.^_^
And i go to see lots of con-friends.

I will say though,It was a little dissapointing.Again.v.v

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2008, 06:36:13 pm »
I had a good time..mostly hung out with friends though I did go to a couple events. I've found that for me, cons (Sakura-con especially) are more of a thing for me to just hang out with friends I only get to see a couple times a year and of course meet new ones.

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2008, 06:46:16 pm »
i just about died when i saw the get backers cosplayer!! i found my character i'd go fan girl over. he was sooo tall!!! still taller then me when i was in my ginormous boots!.
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline Kanmu

• Cabbit
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2008, 10:38:54 pm »

They were so cute. Sadly, I don't remember seeing the chibi Sora...   :-[

He was sitting by me (his mom) and he said sora doesn't do the same dance as his sister's, lol

~*Kanmu*~
Pocky IS Love

Offline GaaraoftheFunk

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2008, 01:05:32 am »
Just thought id throw this out there,Because it was funny.
While waiting for josh to get to the lobby of the hotel,
I was spinning around in my schoolgirl outfit,And this guy working there was like...
Watching me.o_o;
He walked up to ask me a question,And then his phone rang.
D;

Eek weird staffers at hotels.xD

Offline NeonFoxRocks

• Catgirl
    • Faceroll
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2008, 03:12:56 am »
It was pretty awesome just looking around most of the time, but i got full nights of sleep and mid day naps, looking forward to more cons, i'll probably feel more comfortable meeting people at kcon =D
++Wooper++Wooper++Wooper++

方囲!定礎!結!

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2008, 08:25:36 am »
The problem with Sak is that it is more focused on industry events instead of Pannels. Kumoricon has a LOT more pannels Sak, so for me I like it better at Kcon!

I noticed that.

To be honest overall I felt bored most of the time and did not have a good time at the con, didn't even make any friends either.  Sad ;-;

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2008, 08:27:42 am »
To be honest overall I felt bored most of the time and did not have a good time at the con, didn't even make any friends either.  Sad ;-;

Me too! This was my first Sakuracon and I expected it to be amazing since it's so big, but I was wrong. Even though there are tons more people, I felt like S-con was actually lonelier than K-Con. Not to mention that even though the location was BIG, I preferred last year's K-Con hotel over the convention center! I guess this proves to me that all cons are different, and that I really do enjoy K-Con's atmosphere quite a bit.

Planned Cosplay '09

Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2008, 12:30:11 pm »
The problem with Sak is that it is more focused on industry events instead of Pannels. Kumoricon has a LOT more pannels Sak, so for me I like it better at Kcon!

But Sak was still a blast! I got to see a bunch of my con-friends, meet new people, and DANCE! WOOOOO!
Too much industry-whoring, not enough interesting, off-kilter fan stuff. It really lacks that slightly crazy feeling that K-con thrives on. Before I became a K-con regular, I used to think that Sak was better. Now I know better.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2008, 01:46:35 pm »
Yeah, the difference between Sakuracon and Kumoricon is like the difference between BOTcon
http://botcon.com/
and Decepti-Con.
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=6531.0
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2008, 03:18:24 pm »
It's all a matter of taste.

Some people like the concerts. Some people like the big guest appearances and autograph signings. Some people like the big name artists in the artist alley and their original sketches (selling for over $3000 in the auction). Some people like a bigger variety of pictures to take and getting their's taken more. Some people like the huge screens, with 5 in just one room, to watch AMVs or movies. Some people like the huge exhibitor's hall and stuff they haven't seen before. Some people like the con being open 24 hours. Some people like the con having like 10 places to eat without leaving. Some people just like the bigger cons.

Of course, since this is a Kumoricon forum, you're going to hear everyone say they like Kcon better (including myself.) If you went to a Sak forum, you might hear complaints from Sak fans about Kcon.
It's just a matter of what you like. Basically it's either more interesting panels and closer friends, or bigger events and popular guests that don't come too often.

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:11 pm »
Heee! Attention Higuma.. My friend posted the piccie of me with yer son..

He was adorable!!

Planned Cosplay '09

Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline Mindless MIka

• Oni
    • Me Myspace
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2008, 10:05:47 pm »
I just got back from Sakuracon.

Well k-con07 was my first anime con, sak08 was my second.

I have to admit that I totally loved sak running 24 hours. But sak was way more "family friendly" and a bit to big businessy.  The panels weren't nearly as interesting or as well put together as k-cons were (with the exception of the mech group's). I LOVE the Seattle Convention Center (I used to work there) but I felt it was not used as well as it could have been and navigation was difficult. (For instance why were the anime theaters split up on two floors? Where did the manga library hide at?) That said the exhibitor's hall was VERY IMPRESSIVE.  Also I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the rave and the concerts were pretty awesome.

K-con was easier to navigate (and not just because it was smaller). I absolutely loved the "anime that scarred me for life" panel. There was a good deal more people who seemed to be friendlier. Not that the people at sak weren't friendly but since the con was bigger it drew a crowd that wasn't just anime fans. k-con's staff seemed more organized (although s-con got me registered at the door on opening day in less than 30 min which was something that k-con couldn't claim last year... Austin was in line for over an 1 an hour 40).

I liked both cons. I wouldn't say I favor either one over the other... Its just that k-con was better with friends and sak was better with lots of cash. I plan on attending both in the future again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:07:51 pm by Mindless MIka »

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2008, 12:18:08 am »
Heee! Attention Higuma.. My friend posted the piccie of me with yer son..

He was adorable!!

That is a great picture. I remember that happening.

Offline Kerensky18

• Cabbit
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2008, 12:33:23 am »
This will be my first Kumoricon.. I've been to Sakuracon as staff since 2002.. And reading these post makes me want to see how different the cons really are.. I hear Sakuracon used to be like Kumoricon when we where still at the hotel. To those of you that didn't have fun I'm sorry to hear that.

Offline XFD

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2008, 08:28:29 am »
Kumoricon is fun because it reminds me of Sakuracon back in 2000. It was more of an oversized anime club which made everyone feel more at ease. Everyone was there to have fun, there weren't cosplay cliques nor "my anime > your anime". Waiting around in lines was short lived, and talking to the person next to you wasn't seen as creepy. :(

Now Sakurcon is epic, 12k+ attendees and lots of fragmentation of the fan base. It was still plenty of fun, even if my ears were bleeding from the tinny highs of the concerts' poor mixing job. Oddly, the highlight of my SC adventure was hosting a panel.

Kumoricon is fun for me because it's smaller and feels very much like the Sakura-cons of old.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2008, 05:34:49 pm »
The one thing that I did like about Sakuracon that they didn't have at Kumoricon last year was food within the building. Last year Kumoricon was my first con and all they had to eat in that area was the coffee shop. Plus Sakuracon had a lot more people to look at and take pictures of, thats my favorite part.

I do like Kumoricon better because it is a bigger chance for me to see people from my high school that I haven't seen in a while, like I did last year ^_^. Tigard representing w00t!

Offline Kanmu

• Cabbit
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2008, 10:00:18 pm »
My whole fam is geared up.
Higuma: Prob, the Earl again(but we are building his mask)
Kanmu: Still undecided, I might be a maid one day of the con...
Faisu(my older daughter): Dawn from Pokemon(cos-complete) and Princess Mononoke
Miki(my younger daughter): Yotsuba (she's so Kawaii!!!)
Johnny(my blue eyed baby boy): Shinji Ikari and Sora('cuz he's the REAL sora, *^_^*)

All I can say.....lot's of sewing hours ahead of me! *^_^*

~*Kanmu*~
Pocky IS Love