Author Topic: halloween - time to stock up on you cosplay supplies  (Read 3473 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
halloween - time to stock up on you cosplay supplies
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:17:51 pm »
tis the halloween season, the stores are actualy stocked with things that would help with your costume making including
face make up
elf ears
zany wigs
fake swords guns alpenty

what you do is scope out you local halloween supplie stores even be sure to hit jo anns fabrics as they tend to hav a good wig selection, see what you want, then wait till a few weeks before halloween when things go on sale and get what you need for your next years cosplay

i say go before halloween beccause theres more chance of the item you want to be in stock, after halloween it will be cheaper but things tend to be pretty picked over
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Re: halloween - time to stock up on you cosplay supplies
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:27:55 pm »
there is a veary good costume store out near beaverton!

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-03,GGLR:en&um=1&q=costume+store&near=Beaverton,+OR&fb=1&view=text&latlng=45490018,-122794961,2951978407712539714

i think this is it not sure.... i remeber it being pretty cramped but for good reason! it is FULL of things! they have complete naruto costumes if your to lazy, tons of wigs, good cat ear selection, make up, acesorys, ect.... staff can be kinda rude but its ussaly all good. its also pretty messy in some parts.

btw if i gave the wrong place (i cant remeber its name) its a big costume store, the right wall of the building has a huge spray painted signe saying how many square feet of inventory it has, and ussaly in the window you can see a giant chicken suit (bright yellow) some times a maid or a mad scientist. and there is a fish shop next to it with a large koi fish (orange and white) on the front....
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 02:31:07 pm »
It's the Costume Warehouse.

I went there to get a blond wig. Unfortunately the wig didn't look like I thought...maybe I should sell it. I've only tried it on, haven't worn it anywhere. ^__^;;
The clerk seemed a little out of it. >__>

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »
It's the Costume Warehouse.

I went there to get a blond wig. Unfortunately the wig didn't look like I thought...maybe I should sell it. I've only tried it on, haven't worn it anywhere. ^__^;;
The clerk seemed a little out of it. >__>
thats the problem with halloween wigs *shrug* they arnt sealed properly so they arnt good quality all the time and they dont always turn out perfet since ussaly selection is limited...
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 05:45:19 pm »
Ugh...I really dislike Halloween wigs on principal. Cheap fiber, none too much of it either, no skin top, bad netting, just generally awful quality. I don't even like styling them for other people. I'd almost rather ditch the yucky wig, buy a quality one myself and show it to them. "See, this is what a good wig looks like! It's really worth the extra ten bucks!"*

*sigh*

I'm picky like that. And it pays off. I've had people ask me frequently if the waist-length royal purple hair on my head is really my own. Which I can only conclude is because they've never seen a good wig before. I've had people in good wigs think my wig was my real hair. Maybe it's the skin top, I don't know.
So, yeah. I can see buying a Halloween wig for, you know, Halloween. I probably wouldn't myself because I wear all my costumes multiple times and I want something I can get mileage out of. But to stock up for the rest of the year...no. Not even for extra fiber to make wefts.

I have the same standards when it comes to bagged costumes. For what they charge for something like Vash's duster at a costume store, I could buy all the fabric needed for his outfit and put together a version that's at least as good, and is custom-fitted. My reaction's the same as with the wigs: ew~! Bad fabric, terrible stitching, and designs and details that are printed on. I know not everyone has the skills to make their costumes from scratch, but that doesn't mean I have to like the crap they overcharge consumers for. The Yugi costume I keep seeing at Party City makes me want to cry.

Now, other stuff, I will buy this time of year. It's a good time to stock up on spirit gum, since they start selling it at the party stores near my house. Small props like fake glasses, ear tips, gloves, little things that I just can't make myself or don't want to go to the trouble of making, I'll pick up at the temporary Halloween store near the mall. (Tights and stockings are another example.) But since there's a large year-round costume store within reasonable driving distance of where I live, I'm not too limited even during the spring and summer. There just might be better deals around now.
I do need to hit up the fabric store, though. One of my costumes requires some lavender vinyl, and you cannot get that in stores except right around Halloween when they have the costume fabrics in. I could order online, but the stuff they sell is of sufficient quality that I'll go the cheap route and buy it at Joann.

*Okay, so when I do actually buy my own wigs, they cost more. Sometimes a lot more. If you want quality, you have to pay for it, and frankly, it's worth it in the long run. I'd rather pay $45 for a wig that I can actually style and that will last me years if I take care of it, and that I have the possibility of selling later, than pay only $10 now and have it turn into a nasty mess after a couple wearings, if not right out of the bag. But that's just me.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 06:19:13 pm »
^ yo just have to look around for a good wig, one year at jo annes they had really good wigs peeps were asking me ifi had problems working with pink hair

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 06:28:32 pm »
The Halloween store just opened at Valley River Mall in Eugene, for anyone who hasn't noticed. I only just saw it this weekend. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 10:56:31 pm »
^ yo just have to look around for a good wig, one year at jo annes they had really good wigs peeps were asking me ifi had problems working with pink hair

Some are okay, but really I've never been able to find a wig in a Halloween shop that was anywhere near as nice as something I could get relatively cheap from cosworx or amphigory.com. Display and Costume, my year-round store of choice, carries some nice mid-price wigs that I do use (Eve is an especially nice style that I've bought in a couple of colors), but if I wanted something longer than shoulder-length I'd just order it. Like I said, I'm really picky: a realistic skin top and kanekalon fiber are two of the major selling points for me.

It comes down to personal preference. I'm really finicky about wigs because to me, hair is one of the best identifiers of the character you're cosplaying. And I really enjoy working with wigs. It's probably the most satisfying part of costume construction for me. It takes a lot of work and time, and I have my hands on the fiber for most of it. I want it to be something that's not only easy to work with but that really feels nice on the skin. A silky, pliable, tangle-less texture.

If you find a wig that works for you, that's wonderful. If it cost you $8 and you're satisfied with it, I'm glad you're happy. But I know what I like and what businesses carry what I like. If that makes me a little elitist...well, so I am. Deal with it, yo. ^_~
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 08:46:50 am »
for one thing i didn't mean to write yo the u you didnt stick i have laptop problems

i'm just saying this is the time of year people can get good cosplay wigs for cheap, yeah they might cost only 5 bucks or whatever but thats because its 70% off by waiting till the week before haloween

feel free to be an elitist and snobby about your wig choice its a free county, and lots of peeps are about there cosplay, i am about fabric, but that dosen't mean you can't get a deal on good stuff if you shop around

Offline Ren+Pocky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 03:54:12 pm »
If you wait until right after Halloween, things will be even cheaper. n_n

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 05:30:01 pm »
But not NEARLY as much selection. Try as soon as the gets in.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 06:05:40 pm »
But not NEARLY as much selection. Try as soon as the gets in.
i once worked at a store that had a great halloween selection and the stuff was gonna go on sale 70% in two weeks  but i knew the stuff i wanted would be gone by then and a manager found a spot and told me to stash the stuff i wanted there, she rocked so much