Author Topic: Doubletree 2008 - New Hotel Thread  (Read 55499 times)

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
Doubletree 2008 - New Hotel Thread
« on: September 05, 2007, 12:04:41 pm »
(Title changed to turn this into the official thread)

This isn't officially up on the main page, but as we are all talking about possible ways to make next year's con (2008) even better and learn from the challenges of this year (2007) I thought I'd start a post about the Doubletree hotel in Portland:

Home Page:
http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=RLLC-DT&ctyhocn=RLLC-DT

Vendor Room?:
http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hotels/photo_gallery.jhtml?ctyhocn=RLLC-DT&category=3&index=7&photo=5

Google map of surrounding area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1000+NE+Multnomah+St,+Portland,+OR+97232,+USA&ie=UTF8&ll=45.53888,-122.651367&spn=0.011785,0.018368&t=h&z=14&iwloc=addr&om=1&output=embed&s=AARTsJoPc97OD7vh4dZhvWD5BcdUEmTubw

Kumoricon was held here in 2005, so anyone who has comments about how that went, pls. share.

---Convenience Edit by Tom---
I am adding other data here so it is easier to find.
HOTEL CODE: JPA

Give the hotel this code when you make your reservation. It will fill up our room block and help us fulfill our end of the hotel's contract. Also it will get you a discounted room rate.
If you already have a reservation, please call and have this code added to your reservation so your room gets included and you get the lowered rate.
If you already have a reservation with a special, cheaper rate, please call the hotel and try and get our code added to your reservation. You should be able to be counted in our block without losing your discount.

Also, Hotel Parking for the convention will be $5 per night and $3 per day.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:13:09 am by TomtheFanboy »

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: Rumor has it: Doubletree '08
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:00:22 pm »
There is also a thread about this up in General Discussion.  I loved that venue when we were last there.  It's right on the MAX line and it was fun to ride around on the MAX in full cosplay. 

A friend of mine wants to organize a "MAX Cosplay Party" where a bunch of cosplayers ride around fareless square.  Lloyd Center is at the edge of fareless square, so everyone can get to Anzen and downtown for free. 

We will also have a park across the street for cosplay photos. 

I also believe that this venue is a good bit bigger than our 2007 venue. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:38 pm »
I was there in 2005. I enjoyed it. I didn't really get to do as much as I did this year, though.. but I still had a good time.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:32:27 pm »
i do remeber it has more plentiful elavators and the mall is right there to get the nummy food stuffs
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:01:07 pm »
Given that his season involves a bunch of living trains, I've always wanted to ride the MAX as JP.

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 04:10:27 pm »
Oooo, cosplayers on Business People in suits....And of course, your random, freaked-out normal person! But, I love the idea of the MAX, no tax, and the food court!

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 04:30:53 pm »
This is by far, the best place to hold Kumoricon in Portland! I complained a ton this year about where Kumoricon and every time I said that, I also said that they should move it back to the Doubletree Lloyd Center...
--Chris ^_^

Offline padanda

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:56:19 pm »
yay! portland location! *thanks the gasoline gods*

Offline Hawkeye

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 10:23:36 am »
The reason we didn't get the Doubletree for this year's con is because someone else had already beat us to it for taking the hotel over Labor Day weekend, if I remember correctly.  Unfortunately, it was also one of those kind of groups where no amount of bargaining would have worked.  As a staffer who is TriMet bound, I am also greatly appreciative of the fact that we're back in Portland.
"Now I'll show you how real vampires do battle!"

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 05:43:48 pm »
My fave Kumoricon was at the doubletree!  There were so many places outside AND inside the hotel!  I worked in the artists alley and it was a super comfortable environment and there is lots of room for tons of vendors.

Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Darkerlight

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 04:40:08 am »
Although I love the Doubletree it's self and it's sprawling wonder... I must say I will miss the hotel staff from this year's con. They were by far the friendliest and most helpful of peoples.
Click me! Help me hatch!

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 07:36:41 pm »
Oooo, cosplayers on Business People in suits....And of course, your random, freaked-out normal person! But, I love the idea of the MAX, no tax, and the food court!

We require a Serious Business Pyramid Head (the one wearing the suit) to calmly get aboard the MAX with a briefcase in one hand, and his Great Knife in the other, just casually looking about. ^_^

This will be epic.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 10:13:13 pm »
When we had the Doubletree, the Fan Creation Station was over off to the side where the Executive Business Meeting Suites or whatnot are found. It was wonderful, because, although we had to go to some lengths to make some signs and advertise where we were, we could spread out, and people could actually hear each other in the room.

Whatever the new Executives decide gets placed in that section of the hotel--if, in fact, we again rent it--will be very lucky, provided that sufficient signage can be provided to let folks know it's part of the con :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 11:05:32 am »
Spread out!!!!! Oh that sounds so wonderful! No crazy manuvers to slip through the crowds of Cosplayers! Oh get it to the main page soon I wanna book!
Secrety secrets!

Offline Syd-chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 03:10:56 pm »

We require a Serious Business Pyramid Head (the one wearing the suit) to calmly get aboard the MAX with a briefcase in one hand, and his Great Knife in the other, just casually looking about. ^_^

This will be epic.

HAHAHA! Oh, wow, yeah! Oh, no....We need an Inuyasha and a Kagome to get on arguing.....Hmmmm......My friend will be Kirara and I'll be Sango[not the demon-slayer outfit]. Any good ideas?

Oh!!! I have an idea, but I'm not sure....Okay, I have some tiny iPod speakers and an iPod. What if I download Sango's Theme[ the upbeat one, Tan Kakeru Sango] and play it while I'm getting on and off! DRAMATIC ENTRANCE!

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 07:39:46 pm »
*peeks in* Did I hear anything about signs? :3 Although, I don't know if they want me to do the signs this year or not; but I'm all ears for ideas.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 08:07:34 pm »
*peeks in* Did I hear anything about signs? :3 Although, I don't know if they want me to do the signs this year or not; but I'm all ears for ideas.

the signs this year were great btw!

Hey does anyone know if the Double Tree has the same LCD monitors around the hotel like the Hilton does?

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 09:06:19 pm »
the signs this year were great btw!
Thanks. :3

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 10:07:15 pm »
What great news!! My first year of K-con was at the Doubletree. =3 However I do have one concern. In '05 the hotel seemed too small, so won't it be even more crowded in '08? I mean, people were saying that the Hilton this year was even a bit small. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Doubletree to death, it's just that it seemed a bit small at the time.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 10:11:42 pm »
im glad someone finally asked about this. the answer is quite simple.  last time we were there, we had about 1/2 of the space, the other 1/2 of the space was occupied by a wedding. while the main events hall is smaller then the one we had this year, the rest of the place is MUCH larger.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 10:30:49 pm »
lookie i found a naruto amv useing stand up comedian talking about double tree, its really quite good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCicMdJS12M

sadly i know the comedian Mitch Hedberg, died a few years back  :(

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 09:09:28 am »
Quadruple tree!!!! We love and miss Mitch very much! He was 133t!
Secrety secrets!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 09:17:16 am »

yeah my brother and i loved his stuff, if was sad how we found out, we were watching a special of his on comedy central, and i told my younger brother that when he turned 21 i'd take him to go see mitch doing stand up then at the end it said in loving memory....

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 05:32:50 pm »
im glad someone finally asked about this. the answer is quite simple.  last time we were there, we had about 1/2 of the space, the other 1/2 of the space was occupied by a wedding. while the main events hall is smaller then the one we had this year, the rest of the place is MUCH larger.

Whoa, seriously?  I totally thought we had the place to ourselves, and was wondering how we were going to fit back in there.  That's awesome!
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 08:05:08 pm »

Wow, really? I had no idea! Thank you so much for addressing my concern so quickly!

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 08:55:42 pm »

yeah my brother and i loved his stuff, if was sad how we found out, we were watching a special of his on comedy central, and i told my younger brother that when he turned 21 i'd take him to go see mitch doing stand up then at the end it said in loving memory....
Oh man thats awful! I found out when I was joking in a convenience store with my buddies while getting stuff for a movie... I brought up the fire prevention frog and we were all laughing and the lady at the counter abruptly tells us, "Oh he died about two years ago!" In a happy cheerful voice, we didn't believe her till we got back after the movie and looked it up.... So sad! :'(
Secrety secrets!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 02:14:05 am »
YES YES YES!!!

After all these cons, I still think that was the best spot for the convention! Right by the mall and the hotel, I just loved it. If I remember correctly, to get to the Vendors all you had to do was walk out a door, go across this little lot thing and into another building right. And they have that park right there too.

Staff will just have to stay on Elevator patrol like the whole con though, does anyone else remember the elevator horror of 2005? Everyone rode them up and down for fun, cause they were those glass see through ones, and people STUFFED themselves in there. Checkout time was a NIGHTMARE, it took an hour to get an elevator down and another hour to get one up, no joke, we timed it. And theres no way we would take stairs on floor 9... Thats the only con I've ever had about it, overall I'm excited about going back there if we do!

@Kylite

Does that mean we booked the whole space for next year?

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 03:34:25 am »
heh i would never run down 15 flights of stairs while racing the elevator down >.>
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 09:12:04 am »
*nods* as far as I know, we will have the entire hotel much like we had at the hilton this year
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 01:43:02 pm »
Oooh, I'm really torn this year... I could make a reservation in one of the high level rooms and enjoy a nice view or try and reserve one of the poolside suites (once the staff decide which ones they're using) so I don't use the elevators at all and pay the extra cash (or maybe make sure that Vallie gets to use the bedroom in one of them for staff use  ;)).

Hmmmm..... decisions..... decisions.... Yeah I think we'll definitely have to go poolside so that I will avoid the stairs completely.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 02:52:27 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 02:29:41 pm »
Discount codes will probably be assigned/given out at some point after the elections are done and the bylaws are updated. They have to figure out how many staff and attendees to put in their contract with the hotel before we get that information.

However, you can usually get the discounts and coupon codes applied after you make your reservation. I know I did.  ;D
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 02:50:51 pm »
The conventions discounts generally don't apply towards suites.

Message to everyone who loves Kumoricon. The staff need the suites to hold gear, guests, and meetings. Please don't reserve the suites before the convention does.  :'( PWEEEAASE?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2007, 03:28:47 pm »
hmm 3 girls one room... pluss cossplay.... im going with one suite! D: sorry staff... its only one though...... i need it to keep my extra art supplys and things in >.<
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 11:35:40 am »
hmm 3 girls one room... pluss cossplay.... im going with one suite! D: sorry staff... its only one though...... i need it to keep my extra art supplys and things in >.<

Dude, the normal rooms that that Doubletree are HUGE.  I'm not going to say how many people we fit in ours, because it was a lot, but three girls and art supplies and cosplay?  You could still fit a horse in there with you.
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 01:34:54 pm »
Yeah, there's plenty of room in a normal room, you really get your money's worth.

FYI the reason I had mentioned getting a suite is that the year I was there the only rooms in the area I wanted were suites and half of them were used by the convention. I expect even more to be used by the convention this year.

Want a big room? Want a nice room? Go for one of the rooms that specifies a balcony.  8)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 06:40:38 pm »
Wow.  I just reserved a room.  99.00 a night isn't that bad for a balcony room.  Can't wait to see what the discount code will get me  ;D

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 06:08:21 pm »
woot! we're getting our room tonight!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2007, 03:44:30 am »
ill be gettign a nice room this time.!
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2007, 06:03:34 pm »
One thing I am going to suggest to Sinage King, Map Maker etc. is to beat people over the head on how to find the vendor room (since I hear it is a short distance from main con space). We had some upset vendors this year when they didn't get the foot traffic they did at the Red Lion. I think things worked out in the end, but to a lot of vendors, Red Lion was the best hotel ever. It had a great view, and every con goer had to walk past the Vendor Room when going from one end of the hotel for the other.

The more we can point out that we will bring business their way, the more vendors we will get and the more chances to find that special treasure attendees shall have!

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2007, 11:17:26 am »
OMG I was so ready to beat people... I sat at the WillCall desk all morning and I had a sign near me that told people where the vendor's room was and people kept asking me... *cries* amongst the other dumb questions such as "Where is the trashcan?" Meh I need to get my room but I will probably wait til I have A) my mom here and 2) the codes.... lolz 18 is so close but so far away... I still have to make 600 dollars to put my sakuracon hotel into my name...

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2007, 02:28:39 pm »
amongst the other dumb questions such as "Where is the trashcan?"

Actually, I do remember having to walk quite a ways to find one. The closest one, I believe, was in the coffee shop in the other lobby.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2007, 09:24:20 pm »
Each lobby had trash cans, and there was one just outside the elevator area in the parking garage that had been converted for the vendor's room.  There were also a few outside.  However they were easy to miss due to crowds.  Maybe we can make extra big signs to hang noticeably with some kind of logo (trash vs recycling for the proper bins) next year.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2007, 07:06:47 pm »
its going to be labor day weekend again right? im getting ready to researve the room for myself (with balcony) and do you guys know if the elivators are going to be a big hassel again? (tempted to get a room on the first or closest floor availble to the con space)
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2007, 03:50:28 am »
Wow, really? I had no idea! Thank you so much for addressing my concern so quickly!

Yeah, you remember how all those people in the lobby were speaking the same foreign language? It's because most of them were related. ;)

I prefer not to be double-booked with weddings, but it's mostly because I wouldn't wish myself on them.

Okay, this is starting to sink in, and I am totally boogying right now. See that dancing bear with the Tom face? That's me inside. (I mean, I am dancing in my heart. I am not actually inside a bear suit.) I never expected to go back to the Doubletree, because I didn't realize it would be big enough for us once the wedding peeps left. That musta been on heckuva wedding to match Kumori Con for attendance, even back then.

After ten years of going to Sakura Con (and later Kumori Con), the Doubletree is easily my favorite hotel chain that any of the cons have been held at, regardless of size.  For people who weren't there to experience it for themselves, here's the reasons you should be excited about going to this Doubletree, among the things I've experienced:

- Cheap rooms of higher-than-average quality
- Rooms are larger than you would normally get as a standard room
- Friendly staff that I have yet to hear acting disrespectful or unhelpful
- Big, oven-warm chocolate chip cookies FREE at the front desk, even at night
- They've never mixed up my reservations
- You've heard there's trash cans everywhere, but they're also one of the only hotels with plenty of recycle bins
- Most importantly, consistency: all of the above has been true at every Doubletree I've ever attended (among five of them).

I don't remember much about the room amenities, but I do remember that anything you normally get at other hotels, you can probably expect to find in your room at the Doubletree (i.e. complimentary shampoo and a coffee machine). Also, this particular Doubletree is preeeetty. Be aware, however, that they have glass elevators. Most people don't sit around in the lobby looking up, but cosplayers in revealing skirts should consider bringing some shorts, or whatever.

Anyway... *boogies* I will be making my reservation soon. ^_^

The conventions discounts generally don't apply towards suites.

Message to everyone who loves Kumoricon. The staff need the suites to hold gear, guests, and meetings. Please don't reserve the suites before the convention does.  :'( PWEEEAASE?

Yes, and rest assured, the normal rooms are pretty darn big, and their double beds really are big enough for two people apiece. You WILL be comfortable. :)

By the way, a couple of questions I have:

1. Do they have free wireless internet? I didn't have a laptop back then, so I don't know. It's really useful for panels and karaoke.
2. Didn't they do pretty well at keeping the water pitchers full when we were there? Don't remember. I know it's always a godsend.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 04:00:50 am by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2007, 05:20:25 am »
I second the 'Free Internet' aspect.  Digital communications are becoming the live oxygen and water of modern communications infrastructure.  Even our toys (Nintendo DS) and tools (laptops mostly) share in this need for interconnectivity and collaboration.  Commerce, scheduling, and fun all share the same network.  Since we're pretty much taking over the hotel for a good 3 days solid (4 depending on typical reservation bookings), one of our top priorities Really should be opening their Internet access with blanket hassle free settings.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2007, 03:03:48 pm »
OK, time for some fun facts!

Wireless internet has only be advertised for the pre-event space in the Executive Meeting Center. this means it is the best place to play your DS!  ;D
The Executive Meeting Rooms advertise T1 access.
The guest rooms all list High Speed.  :-\
Wifi elsewhere will have to be investigated in person.

The South tower of the hotel is 15 stories tall.
The North tower is 9 stories tall.
The top floor of the North tower features balcony rooms.
EVERY room of the South Tower features a balcony! ;D
The towers connect on the 3rd floor through the 9th floor at the glass elevator landing.
The stairwells at the end of each tower (4 stairwells total) connect the top floor of the tower with the 3rd floor WITHOUT KEYCARDS. Some of the exits on the 2nd and Ground floors have no internal access, are alarmed, or just go outside.
The stairwell landings for the South tower are outside and have see-through-metal-grates for floors! OMGWTF!
None of the stairwells require key cards for the guest room floors.
The Glass elevators go from the lobby to the 15th floor, these elevators have a 6' diameter and a capacity of 3500lbs.
There are elevators for the North tower that go from the lobby to the 9th floor, these elevators are 6'x4' and have a capacity of 2500lbs.
There are 476 hotel rooms/suites in the entire building, so more than 1500 people can stay at the hotel every night!

The Exhibitor's Hall is still in the parking garage! hyuck hyuck!
The Exhibitor's hall has windows nearly the full length of every side.
The Exhibitor's Hall may not have restrooms (we're looking into this)  :-\
The parking garage has at least two levels worth of parking.

The Mexican restaurant/cantina doesn't open until the afternoon.
The restaurants can seat about 100 people each.
The swimming pool is only 8 feet deep at the deep end.
The Executive Meeting area has an entrance door that can be locked to secure all of those rooms at once.
The Ballroom Lobby and the Cascade Ballroom hallway feature a handful of well placed network drops (but we don't know the quality and accessibility of said network).
The Portland room looks like an older (and smaller) version of the Boardroom from the Hilton and is isolated from the rest of the convention space.
There ARE indeed bathrooms near the Front lobby, they are located between the front desk and the Pacific NW ballroom. The Executive Meeting center also has bathrooms of its own.
The concierge booth to the left of the entrance can give you a map of the nearby restaurants (and walgreen's, Safeway, Fedex/Kinkos, and liquor store).

Tri-met will be running the MAX every day until after 12am, so no-one will be forced to depend on C-Tran.  :P
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:46:08 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2007, 02:09:24 pm »
Oooh! :o Thank you for the lovely info Tom!
Secrety secrets!

Offline SentientSoul

• Cabbit
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2007, 04:42:38 pm »
Doubletree was slick; I'm glad we're back there this coming year.  I've already made my reservation, but since there's not yet a convention code, there's no discount.  As soon as we get one, I'm going to call the hotel and get the discount applied.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Re: Doubletree 2008 - New Hotel Thread
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 09:09:26 am »
I have pictures of our slick new Hotel.....
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/TomtheFanboy/Kumoricon%202008/Hotel%202008/

Guess who learned when not to use the flash on his camera. >_<

I'm a big fan of this shot.

(links fixed)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:18:00 am by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
Re: Doubletree 2008 - New Hotel Thread
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 02:45:07 pm »