Author Topic: Going to con alone, need to know how to entertain myself.  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Blayde

• Cabbit
Going to con alone, need to know how to entertain myself.
« on: August 20, 2007, 11:29:07 pm »
I know you can start games like duck duck goose, bring board games or cards? but what else is there besides the offical con events?... And meeting new people
Beware the light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train.

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
Re: Going to con alone, need to know how to entertain myself.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:05:28 am »
There's always the dealers room to entertain yourself, you can find a bunch of cool anime things you can't find in stores.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:55:34 am »
Try and find all the photoshoots and get pictures of EVERYONE.

Also, joining Pocky club is the easiest way to keep yourself entertained. ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Evaldas

• Chibi
    • Dancing Heron
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:20:42 am »
*plug warning* Yeah, while at the dealers,  you should also swing by the Artist alley. There are some really cool people over there who wouldn't mind saying hi....artwork you may not find anywhere else. ^^
*end of plug*

In reality, you shouldn't have to bring anything to keep yourself amused. There is go to be no less then 1500 people there guaranteed.

Offline COMaestro

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 08:19:58 pm »
Well, there's the gaming room, where a variety of video games are available to play for the whole con, as well as a room for board/card games, and the manga library for some quiet reading. Although I guess these could be considered official con events...but really, what more would you want other than con events and meeting people?

My first two years of K-con I went alone, but obviously still had enough fun to keep going back. First year was my very first anime convention, so I didn't even cosplay. I just had a lot of fun seeing all the costumes, going around and checking out the events, playing some video games, and chatting a bit with random people. The key thing to having fun is to just get swept up in everything. I'd recommend cosplaying, as it does help you feel like your a part of the con, instead of a random observer. Plus, if there's a photoshoot for the anime you cosplay from, it helps you meet some people. The AMV show is good for about 2 hours of entertainment, if you like AMV's anyway (and who doesn't?). Although I didn't go to the cosplay show my first year, I've learned it's not to be missed because most of the skits are so funny! And some really nifty stuff can be found in the dealers room, so it's well worth exploring.

Considering that two years ago I didn't really know anyone else who was into anime, and now I'm engaged to such a person and have a wide variety of friends and acquaintances who are, all because of the convention, I'm very glad that I went and kept going. It's improved my life greatly!
Superjaz's Kendo Husband

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:12:36 pm »
Personally you don't really need to bring a whole lot of stuff to keep busy.  This is speaking from times when I've unpacked my bags and thought, "Wow, I didn't need this or this or that...."

You'll have panels to go to, games going on, and photos to take.  You'll definitely meet up with some people that you'll hang out with.  I think that's the case for a lot of people.  If you have one, I guess you could take along a DS or PSP with you as well as some multi-player games (Mario Kart, Advanced Wars, etc.).  At Sakuracon I played a lot of people while waiting in line and at other random places.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:09:45 am »
The Fan Creation Station is always a good place to chill.

Offline Blayde

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 01:55:45 pm »
The Fan Creation Station is always a good place to chill.
Yeah I'v been told to enter some of the contests they have at the creation station, so I'm bringing some of my artwork. I hve also been told that seeing as I'm cosplaying I will be kept bussy.
Beware the light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 11:47:10 pm »
Ooh, we look forward to seeing your pictures!

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 04:39:06 pm »
Bring Uno or easy to set up games and ask other people if they want to play! :D I played some hella tight uno in the prereg line ^.^

cosplaying is a good way to keep you and the people around you entertained, it feels good to be asked for a hug or a picture :D
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline Ren+Pocky

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 04:44:11 pm »
Bring a camera + xtra batteries. Hunt down an InuYasha. Stalk Kakashi. Get drunk on Ramune.

There's plenty of stuff to do! XD

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 09:27:37 pm »
well i went with friends but i found myself to be easly bored at times to (Only in the mornings when not all that much is going on like 8am-9am was kinda dull) but bring some games that a lot of people can participate in! like uno or appels to appels (always fun with a crowd even if you dont know every one) i also brought a game boy for myself at times which was handy
returning with a vengeance to K con~