Author Topic: Kumori Con G rated?  (Read 10135 times)

Offline NekoChan234

• Catgirl
    • My DeviantArt
Kumori Con G rated?
« on: August 12, 2007, 11:49:11 am »
I was looking over some of the rules and I thought they may be going a little to far... I mean come on some of them are really stupid... this is all my opinion by the way so don't like yell at me or anything.... but its taking alot of the fun out of it no yaoi? or yuri? does that include cosplay? meaning no Gravitation cosplay allowed? no air humping? its a joke and its not even that sexual... I just think its a little out of hand but thats my opinion. I probably wont be attending Kumori con again next year, a little to strict for me I wanted to cosplay Shuichi...

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: Kumori Con G rated?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:17:17 pm »
You can cosplay anything you want as long as it fits our cosplay guidelines which are here: http://kumoricon.org/?page_id=44

There's nothing stopping you from cosplaying from Gravitation unless the costume you want to do doesn't work according to the rules listed above. Cosplaying as someone from a shonen-ai (Gravitation isn't actually yaoi to begin with) anime/manga is not the same as doing the yaoi/yuri thing. Yaoi/yuri is sexual in nature, end of story. Look up the meaning of the words.

As for the no yaoi/yuri thing..that one is pretty simple. That kind of thing has a very good chance offend someone..and this is a family orientated event. Most parents don't want their kids to see that kind of thing. I personally don't even want to see it and I'm an adult. And I know I am not the only one. You may find it funny, cool, or any other positive thing, but you have to look at the convention attendees as a whole when you're talking about this kind of thing. Not everyone will feel how you do about that kind of stuff, unfortunately that is just how the world works.

I'm sorry to hear you think our con policies are strict, but unfortunately for those who are in agreement with you, we try to be family oriented and that means none of what I talked about above. Also we're actually more a PG-13 con. You can get away with some stuff, but not a lot.

I just have a question for you. Why are you not willing to attend a con that doesn't allow that kind of stuff? I'm just curious as to if that is such an integral part of your con experience as to decide before you've actually gone to the convention to not attend next year.

Sorry if I seem a little harsh there, I've just always been curious about this sort of thing.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline NekoChan234

• Catgirl
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:59:35 pm »
well no signs are aloud and it says no contact no glomping no hugging so on so forth I think thats a bit silly and out of hand and that has always been part of the whole con experience with every con Ive been to, I have never and I mean never run across a con that is this strict... I mean in 04 when I last went to kumori it wasn't even this strict... I think its a little...whats the word I'm looking for biggited not letting same sex couple kiss I mean if you don't like it don't watch you know what I mean... its just a lot of the things they arnt allowing is a big part of the whole con experience such as Glomping thats a huge one, I mean yeah don't get outta hand and break some ones back by doing it but i don't see the harm in someone glomping someone... Now I also understand there are people who don't like to be touched so its best to ask before glomping someone but seriously... I just think the rules are out of hand and like I said before, its only my opinion, Im not trying to rub anyone the wrong way you know....

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 01:30:11 pm »
The no yaoi/yuri thing is more for the performances on stage than just in general. We got saturated with it in the past to the point of people complaining so action had to be taken.

There are yaoi panels later in the day so we clearly allow it (yeah, I know you had no way of knowing since you can't see the schedule). We just need to have less shouts at boys to kiss every 30 seconds, skits where they do nothing but yell yaoi and have male characters pretend to make out for half the cosplay, lines of signs promising boylove for a quarter... it went a little too far.

So you can still talk about yaoi with your friends, cosplay gay characters, and shop for yaoi and yuri doujinshi in the vendor's room. We just want it to be a little more low key than it was last year. When anything starts taking over every inch of the con space it needs to be taken down a notch.

So don't misinterpret the specifics of the rules for a draconian staff crushing a popular genre you love.

Edit: the making out, kissing, and constant hugging in the hallways just happened to be a problem with the same sex couples, probaby because people asked the cosplayers for more and took pictures. We don't want het couples making out in the halls either but it didn't become an issue in the halls last year.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:54:35 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 01:41:54 pm »
Nice explanation, Tom.  ;D

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 01:56:18 pm »
Where are you reading that glomping and hugging aren't allowed? Glomping and hugging has always been allowed so I am not sure where you read that at. Signs are allowed unless they are soliciting a service/asking for a service. I.E. Will glomp for pocky, will hug for glomp, etc. Pretty much any "Will <insert verb here> for <insert noun here>" type of sign isn't allowed. Stuff like "free hugs," "free pocky" and such are allowed.

As for the same sex thing..that falls under public displays of affection and again that kind of thing can be offensive to people, whether the couple in question is straight or not. This isn't the convention being bigotted against same sex couples. It's the same for any couple. If it is just like a peck on the lips or whatever, there's nothing wrong with that. If it's full on making out/groping/anything else then no, it is not allowed. I'll list myself as an example: I am not a fan of seeing PDA (hugging, holding hands, a little kiss is fine..the whole making out thing and anything more than that is not), no matter what your orientation is.

I suppose I should have realized you were probably talking about the cosplay contest rules..and Tom said that part pretty well <.<

*edited because I are stupid*
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 03:07:07 pm by Trumby »
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 02:50:04 pm »
Trumby, I just wanted to say that that should be "Will <insert verb here> for <insert noun here>" Adjectives are describing words so a sign like that might look like "Will pink for pocky" XD

I also want to say I really don't think the rules are too strict and I really appreciate them. I'm a pretty conservative person and I come from the traditional Christian family. However I also like anime and I love going to Kumoricon. But it really kind of ruins it for me when people are making out in the halls and such. Frankly, it's embarrassing. Also, if my parents knew that yaoi and yuri were going to be common things (and they knew what they were) they probably won't let me go. Kumoricon is for people of all ages and all kinds of fans of anime. Last year I saw a girl as young as 4 at Kumoricon. I don't think someone that young should have to deal with sexual explicitness of any kind, straight or otherwise. While I understand what Nekochan is saying, I think people have to keep in mind that there are going to be young children at this con. I know in all of the previous years, as it got later the more sexual the available content of Kumoricon got. If you want to skip the family friendly stuff, just come later, but please don't force little kids to have a difficult time avoiding it.

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 03:06:32 pm »
Trumby, I just wanted to say that that should be "Will <insert verb here> for <insert noun here>" Adjectives are describing words so a sign like that might look like "Will pink for pocky" XD

I also want to say I really don't think the rules are too strict and I really appreciate them. I'm a pretty conservative person and I come from the traditional Christian family. However I also like anime and I love going to Kumoricon. But it really kind of ruins it for me when people are making out in the halls and such. Frankly, it's embarrassing. Also, if my parents knew that yaoi and yuri were going to be common things (and they knew what they were) they probably won't let me go. Kumoricon is for people of all ages and all kinds of fans of anime. Last year I saw a girl as young as 4 at Kumoricon. I don't think someone that young should have to deal with sexual explicitness of any kind, straight or otherwise. While I understand what Nekochan is saying, I think people have to keep in mind that there are going to be young children at this con. I know in all of the previous years, as it got later the more sexual the available content of Kumoricon got. If you want to skip the family friendly stuff, just come later, but please don't force little kids to have a difficult time avoiding it.
Haha, oops. I guess I am still tired from the minicon yesterday <.<

And well said ^-^

Offline cartopmeteor

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 08:15:44 pm »
I feel that everybody has a good point in this room, NekoChan for example is just trying to express that he thinks that the rules are to strict, and Trumby is also correct because having to much of sexual behavior sort of ruins a con. But the rules aren't as stict as you think NekoChan as stated by Tom and Trumby. And Nekochi is a person that comes from a Christian (Hey thats my name) family and so Nekochi may have been raised to believe different things but still states some very good valid points.  So there are very good stand points in this arguement. (I don't know if I should call this as an arguement but I'm going to.) My personal thought is sort of in the middle I think that some of it should be allowed but not to much of it.  ;D   

Will you help these girls or exploit them for more atom? It's your choice.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 08:19:28 pm »
Thanks, Tom and Trumby - you both answered the question for me in nearly exactly the words I was planning to use.  :D
(yey! don't have to suffer carpal tunnel syndrome while attempting to answer a question...)

Since cosplay is not a late evening event, but rather an afternoon event--it's currently scheduled to run at 4 PM--we can be certain that there will be small children attending the event. In previous years, various people, including parents of small children, have made complaints to not only the staff, but also to the HOTEL MANAGERS about some of the content shown in the cosplay show. Having people complaining about us to hotel staff is a VERY BAD THING, so we make rules to prevent those kind of bad situations from happening again and to ensure that everyone is able to enjoy the convention.

That being said, I've heard that this year there will be plenty of "adult" content panels and suchlike in the late evening hours where children won't be allowed to be present so at those times you can feel free to do whatever (provided, of course, it is legally permitted within the state of Washington).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:23:31 pm by Runa »

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »
STOP STEALIN MY USERNAME DESU

Okay. Gay rights is an improtant issue, is this what this is about? Because it seems more like you are offended that you cannot cosplay a fictional person who happens to be homosexual. Yaoi is fine, i dont care about it, I used to think it was WAY COOL. However, making out in front of a ten year old? Not so much. do noooot pull out the discrimination card. Kumoricon is open to all ages and i'm sorry, I'm pretty must positive everyone except your niche of fandom wants to see yall make out.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 12:08:06 am »

*Falls on knees in the rain dramatcially screaming "POOOORQUUUUEE!!" before collapsing in the mud   You...YOUVE GONE THE WAY OF SAKURA COOOOOOON!! (aka 'Disney con'..no..disney is FAR more tollerant.. i shall have to think of a new name for it)

*Hand twicthes, picks up sword and shakily gets up*
 I trusted you..you were my only ' Non soccer mom and generaly easily offended-appeasing sanctuary!  You.. YOUVE SOLD YOUR SOULS!

*Gets up and runs at 'Kumori con, falls down again* Mah god has..forsaken..meh..

*Tosses white lilly in the casket for anime cons of the NW  " Fair well. You reached the stars only to crash back to earth by your own popularity. May heaven grant you more acceptance than you were shown here.

In short, "screw this; Im going to anime Vegas"
( Until everyone moves there, causing the  easily offended to follow until it too is destroyed)

I do believe this is the begining of the end.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 12:15:35 am »
...yeah, it is the end of the world because we don't allow yaoi or yuri in our cosplay contest. Oi.

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 12:29:05 am »
This is me being blunt (but please keep in mind this is the opinion of a person attending the con, not someone who makes the rules): if you don't like the policies, don't go. It would make for a much happier convention if everyone who didn't like it, didn't go.

If you want a convention where you can do whatever you want, start your own. There is, in fact, a Yaoi convention and (I believe) a Yuri convention. If that is what you want Kumoricon to be like, don't complain about what you think Kumoricon is doing wrong, make your own convention. Maybe then you will realize that action has direct and opposite reaction.

While I never attended the Cosplay event at Kumoricon, I can imagine what it was like. Kumoricon isn't a niche-yaoi/yuri convention, it is a convention for eveyone's tastes. If you think your tastes are more important than the person next to you, you have some serious growing up to do.

RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 12:44:23 am »
People why don't we just be happy that we have a con that isn't 8 hours away from us :D So we don't have to spends lots of monies on gas~ Hooray K-con!
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 03:10:17 am »
As someone hip once said, "Save the drama fo ya mama!"

This is Kumoricon. It was pointed out that there is in fact Yaoicon, there is in fact Yuricon. Neither should be a primary focus or placed on an equal in the setting created by/at Kumoricon, and thus, neither is. Why is it so hard to just see the rules, accept Kumoricon for what it is, and move along with our lives? I don't know about some people, but as for me and mine, we are just glad that we have Kumoricon here to attend. Like Boogiepop said, this convention is nothing short of a gift that people work immensely hard to pull off every year, and I don't think I would be out of line to say their efforts should not be wasted on the ungrateful or the picky. Again, as somebody prior to me said, if you don't want to be here because you find some personal injustice over something that isn't a priority (because it just shouldn't be to begin with), then don't come. Simplicity is golden, my fellow otaku...let's not overcomplicate a situation. If one is easily perturbed enough by the policies on yaoi and yuri, policies that were made for completely justified and explained reasons, then perhaps it is best for that one or those few to simply find a more suiting place, rather than buffet the Kumoricon staff with the barrage of complaints and nitpickeries that have been displayed here.

*stands off soapbox, fills it back up with the spilled oranges on the ground, and goes back to selling them on the highway*

^_^
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:25:39 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 09:06:02 am »
Yes we have learned from the past and these guide lines are here for a reason its no fun tripping through a small hallway because peeps are begging for pocky
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline NekoChan234

• Catgirl
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 12:06:27 pm »
ok first off I didn't write this to argue, secondly when did it become all about yaoi and yuri? it was about a lot of the other rules too, also I wrote this all in my opinion "MY OPINION" meaning its what I think, Im not trying to argue blah blah blah, me and my friends opinions are that some of the rules are to strict. you said i shouldn't attend if i didn't like it if you had read my post i said that I probably wouldn't attend again. No  need to take everything so seriously and attack me lol. I was just stating my personal opinion

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 12:12:11 pm »
ok first off I didn't write this to argue, secondly when did it become all about yaoi and yuri? it was about a lot of the other rules too, also I wrote this all in my opinion "MY OPINION" meaning its what I think, Im not trying to argue blah blah blah, me and my friends opinions are that some of the rules are to strict. you said i shouldn't attend if i didn't like it if you had read my post i said that I probably wouldn't attend again. No  need to take everything so seriously and attack me lol. I was just stating my personal opinion
Well, yaoi and yuri are the only things you mentioned specifically besides air humping in your post. And we aren't trying to attack you. We are just trying to point out that these rules are in place for a reason and that there is plenty of adult content, it just happens later in the evening.

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 12:15:35 pm »
We're like a family here. We all love Kumoricon and put a lot of effort into it, so when someone raises an issue, we're like wolves defending their kin, we have to act and prove why it is we love this so much, and defend it.

*snarlsnarl* Nah, we're cool, though.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 02:24:19 pm »
No  need to take everything so seriously and attack me lol. I was just stating my personal opinion

What's wrong with stating our opinions of your opinion?
Madness?

This is TEH INTARWEB!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 03:01:25 pm »
...yeah, it is the end of the world because we don't allow yaoi or yuri in our cosplay contest. Oi.

Uuh..the end of ANIME conventions, well GOOD anime conventions.

It happens with any large gathering. You start to get A LOT of people, a lot of differant people. Hardcore fans, fans who have children and are too lazy to find a baby sitter and thus drag them along, 'fans' who have seen only Anime on TV and are schocked to find how 'adult' most anime really is.

Then, the complaints come in. Complaints from the affore mentioend who think theyre so bloody important that they shouldnt ever have to be exposed to things theyre offended by.

For some reason these complaints are  usually placated ( Like so many rediculous lawsuits) a few is okay. We obviously cant have COMPLETE anarchy.

But  before you know it; a few becomes hundreds of petty little complaints from nagging persistant little crusaders, until you find that your aboslishing every little thing that can be considered offensive to ANYONE. Eventually, your left with a con thats only suitible for poke-brats and therye parents.

HENCE; the begining of the end.

Why dont you try ASKING?  Instead of just ASSUMING?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:33:21 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline NekoChan234

• Catgirl
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 03:07:07 pm »
oh no I have no problem with you guys stating your opinions, I just felt a little bit attacked, and as for the wolf protecting there kin thing, kinda makes me feel like I'm not allowed to have my own opinion, and as for the later panels not every one can stay for that cuz I don't have money to stay in the hotel and my ride refuses to get me after midnight. so even if I did want to stay at the later things I couldn't. I understand your opinions too and I respect them and im not like throwing a **** fit and saying oh you should change it blah blah blah. im just stating that I think its a little harsh and my opinion about it, I wish there was a way that we could make it a little lest strict like meet somewhere in the middle ya know... like kissing I think should be allowed, I mean not like full blown making out but kissing on the lips... stuff like that.

Offline AzuKyo

• Chibi
    • NHRV
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 03:34:38 pm »
"Lewd sexual contact or behavior (groping of the breast or genitalia)"

Lewd:
2 a : sexually unchaste or licentious b : OBSCENE, VULGAR

In a way, the policies don't tell you you can't kiss someone on the lips. They do state that lewd sexual contact or behavior are unacceptable. If you kiss your significant other in a way that is respectable to those around you, no one will probably complain. However, if you complete disregard the feelings of others and make a lewd scene out of a simple romantic act (for example: kissing your significant other because you are badgered to do it) that isn't going to be well recieved.

From my experience, a convention experience is only as good as you make it. My advice is not to focus on what you can't do, that won't get you anywhere. Think about what you can do. You can meet other fans of Yaoi and Yuri, you can cosplay characters from Yaoi or Yuri as long as the costume follows the guide lines, you can have a good time.

Personally, I'd love a lot more eroge and eroanime stuff. But I recognise that can be offensive, so I focus on what I can do at a convention that is fun.

Half full, not half empty. Give Kumoricon a shot, and you'll probably find that it isn't all bad.
RANDOM PANEL 2009! Anime Jeopardy 2009!

鳥の岐阜城 ー 7せんぱい、ありがとうございました。

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 05:53:49 pm »
I think its a little...whats the word I'm looking for biggited not letting same sex couple kiss I mean if you don't like it don't watch you know what I mean...

There is nothing in either the convention policies or cosplay contest rules that discriminates against or applies rules differently to any sexual orientation. This is the full wording of the only sentence in the cosplay contest rules that even mentions the words "yaoi" or "yuri":

No yaoi, yuri, or hentai.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 09:01:50 pm »
ok ok enuf is enuf, so lets just make it clear

kissing, if its a quick peck, fine, whatever.
if its full on making out, sloppy and wet, GET A FREAKING ROOM

air humping: ok now I don't know about you but I don't need to see someone humping the air
again GET A ROOM

yoi, yuri, hentai. these are by definition adult concepts.  this is a family convention who works with both children and adults.  Now let me just be clear that I have no religion so I am not preaching from any religious soapbox. I am saying I don't want kids, mine or otherwise exposed to sexual content of any kind until they are of age to understand and accept it fully.

Neko, I respect your opinions, and hey, if you want to come to some sort of compromise, please state the exact rule in full wording that you have issue with and then state your compromise. then we can find a middle ground.

finally these rules are not made to discriminate on any sexual orientation. I don't care if your straight, bi, lesbian or gay. common sense should still be used. and common courtesy as well.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 09:14:39 pm »

kissing, if its a quick peck, fine, whatever.
if its full on making out, sloppy and wet, GET A FREAKING ROOM

air humping: ok now I don't know about you but I don't need to see someone humping the air
again GET A ROOM

yoi, yuri, hentai. these are by definition adult concepts.  this is a family convention who works with both children and adults.  Now let me just be clear that I have no religion so I am not preaching from any religious soapbox. I am saying I don't want kids, mine or otherwise exposed to sexual content of any kind until they are of age to understand and accept it fully.

Heres my question; when you say no 'yaoi' 'yuri' do you mean physical displays on the hallways?  Or  no 'yaoi/yuri 'adult' themed forums/DJs/merchandise do not mention at all ever?

The former is fine, I have no problem (well a slight problem but not worth making a fuss over) the latter, on the hand, is compeltley crossing 'the line'.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 09:24:22 pm »
there will be adult panels later in the evenings, if you want to see it and are of age, there ya go. displays in the hallways is not smiles upon. How would you feel if you walked into a bank and the teller was making out with the teller next to him/her. or perhaps just people in line. anyway I know harsh examples BUT I HAVE seen this stuff before.

I dont know tthe exacts on the rules as far as merchandise in the dealer room but I would have to figure any adult themed items would be sold ONLY with ID requirements if at all.

as I said, tis a family event, kids will be there.

common sense

common courtesy
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 10:17:58 pm »
*goes to go look at the Cosplay Contest rules for herself*

"No yaoi, yuri, or hentai."

Same sex stuff is not being singled out to my mind.  If it was, I would be annoyed.  We are going to have adult stuff later on in the evening.  But, for main events during the day, umm... keeping things PG-13 seems very reasonable.

If you really want Yaoi cosplay skits, or whatever, perhaps you could organize and run an after-hours panel for 2009?  It's a little late for 2008. 

And yes, there is a Yaoi-Con and it's alot of fun.  It is also strictly 18+ only. 

While I love Yaoi-con, I would be sad if Kumoricon also became strictly 18+ just so we didn't have to wait until later in the evening for the more adult types of entertainment.  I am still impressed that Kumoricon Staff is doing the extra work so we CAN have late-night programming. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 10:30:44 pm »
 Oi, dont be so defensive. Im not an advocate of people making out in public in the LEAST.
 Never said I was.

Those rules all seem acceptable to me.

Ofcoarse I still worry that it wont be long before it turns into Sakura Con.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 11:03:59 pm »
Ofcoarse I still worry that it wont be long before it turns into...
Kumoricon convention policies and the policies of its events have really not changed in a way that goes in the direction that you worry. In fact, Kumoricon is having a hentai showing for the first time this year (after midnight, 18+ only, photo ID checked).

Many of the Kumoricon staff and executives have a very clear desire to be sure that adult content has a place at Kumoricon for those who choose to attend those events. It's an important part of fandom. Some cons go in different directions; allowing more risqué content at more events, on the one hand; or not allowing adult content at any event whatsoever, on the other hand. Many of our staff who plan our events are well aware of this continuum and the fact that Kumoricon sits somewhere in the middle, and want to keep it this way. A part of this is that we want to keep the general public places of Kumoricon, and most events, accessible to all or most ages, but still provide adults-only content in a restricted manner.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 11:14:35 pm »
  Thats a relief. Thank you.

This seems to be an issue for a lot of conventions recently,

I hope Kumori con can continue to stay a 'happy medium' without getting too much flack from either side for quite a long time.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 11:34:43 pm »
Ok, so I have read this entire thread at least twice.  It just seems that we (all of us in this topic) are getting very nit picky.  Guidelines are good. Guidelines are there for a reason.  But again they are guidelines.  You are expected to follow them but there is not going to be someone at every corner with a whip waiting for you to break a rule (that is unless yojimbos are getting whips this year). MORE importantly, the thing about about guidelines (ours in particular) is that mostly everyone falls into them most of the time anyway so they are things you really don't have to worry about, rules that you probably won't break anyway.

There are so many things about conventions and kumoricon that are great and there are events for everyon. for everyone's tastes. I say to you all just come with an open mind and ready to have fun, I promise you will!  Seriously if there is a particular thing getting you down about an event then don't go to that event but don't let yourself miss out on the whole experience that the convention has to offer! I am sure there is a nitch for everyone, even if you can't stay past 12 you might enjoy what the vendors room has to offer or the AMVs, the dating game, the dance, something! And you are guaranteed to meet lots of people with the same interests as you. 

It's not as bad as we are all making it out to be.  All rules look alot more threatening when you are forced to write them out on paper. <3

I hope that helps a little

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 12:33:33 am »
I think a big thing in this thread is the rules were being misinterpreted as to the whole "no yaoi/yuri, hentai." That applies to the cosplay contest, plain and simple, as has been stayed before. If you're not doing anything indecent in the public areas (I.E. not your hotel room) then there isn't really a problem with yaoi/yuri..like for photos and the like. I know people do that all the time for photos.

I hope everything is cleared up with the rules now?

And I suppose Jeff worded all of that the best..thanks Jeff ^-^

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 01:46:25 pm »
If you are refering to my post it wasn't aimed at your post at all, or any post one in particular.  It was just a general response to the conversations. 

Sorry, if I stated it too strongly.  I was not trying to do that. 

Oi, dont be so defensive. Im not an advocate of people making out in public in the LEAST.
 Never said I was.

Those rules all seem acceptable to me.

Ofcoarse I still worry that it wont be long before it turns into Sakura Con.
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 02:34:29 pm »
I'd just like to mention:

www.yaoicon.org
www.yuricon.org

They have WHOLE conventions for people who really need Yaoi/Yuri to complete their con-going experience. As fas as Kumoricon goes, I am GLAD to see lots of younger kids getting into anime - maybe by the time I have kids they won't be oddballs for liking the stuff! And honestly, I don't think the Kumoricon rules are any worse than any other con, or even most generally public places and events. I can also note that you're allowed to wear or watch whatever you want in your hotel room ;)
I can has cheezburger?

Offline NekoChan234

• Catgirl
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 11:37:02 pm »
Nya nya nya great! i thought the photos wernt allowed ^.^ but nnow that they are im not upset

Offline Givon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 11:42:42 pm »
I'm 100% behind you NekoChan234! I agree with everything that you say!!!!
"Ever done it with a ninja?....want to do it again?"~ Givons random moment

Offline Nroseseeer

• Cabbit
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2007, 02:22:02 am »
*takes two pennies and tosses them*

I'm sure we've made it clear by now that it is difficult to appease everyone. I myself am a Yuri fan, and I like to kiss my girlfriend. However I also plan on bringing my niece and nephew to this convention, so I for one am happy with the various rules. I think that avoiding yaoi, Yuri and hentai is a nice thing to do during the day. It is adult rated and therefore should only be seen by adults. I understand that vendors and such will have merchandise and that is fine. Just please keep it away from the kids, they are in those public areas too.
"nothing is ever fool proof because fools are so ingenious..."
-anonymous

2007 Cos-play Stage Ninja
2008 Stage Manager/Ninja, Panelist
2009 Stage Manager, Charity Auction Manager

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 03:49:18 am »
So, I wanted to toss in some information just to humanize this conversation a bit:

As we all know, there are several hundred staffers and volunteers behind any convention. However, their motivations are often not obvious to attendees who judge the con by the end product. Staffers join up with their own personal goals for the future of the con. After that, we start to encounter reality checks as we find out what we have the funding for, what our insurance will cover, what we need to do to keep our reputation good enough to secure locations for coming years, and in all cases, what is legal.

Everyone wants to think that our staff are trying to make the con as ideal as possible according to a similar vision. :) What I want to tell you is that our vision is not "Disney Con."

Have you met Meg, our Con Chair? She is chairing Kumori Con for the second year in a row, and is probably the best example of someone who wants to balance adult content with teenage and all-ages content.  Meg is the founder of the Adult Content in Anime panel, which she has run both at Kumori Con AND Sakura Con (note: the Sakura Con version is tamer).  Her first cosplay was a school uniform from a hentai anime -- the costume itself wasn't explicit, and she didn't do anything obscene in public, either. Her second cosplay was "Poemi" from Puni Puni Poemi, a non-kid-friendly OAV that was discussed at the Adult Content panel. (Incidentally, these are both great examples of appropriate cosplays from adult anime)

If you think Meg doesn't care whether or not we have adult content, you obviously haven't met her.  Going by what she's said in the past, she definitely wants to always be able to reserve a time and a place for stuff that's inappropriate for minors, in addition to all the other content that she and the rest of con staff want to provide.

You are expected to follow them but there is not going to be someone at every corner with a whip waiting for you to break a rule (that is unless yojimbos are getting whips this year).

Haven't you heard, Leashy-chan? Franziska von Karma has just been appointed as the new head of Yojimbo.  :o

A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2007, 10:35:15 am »
Haha if you want to change the rules get elected con-chair! good luck :D

-since when does "no blantant sex" ruin something? o_O

oh yeah and shouldn't this be in the suggestion/complaint place anyways? I mean unless you're just whining, is there a whining thread? :o
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:37:59 am by Lit_of_Fey »
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 03:54:21 pm »
Haha if you want to change the rules get elected con-chair! good luck :D

Personally, I try to avoid the "if you don't like it, join staff" attitude.  Though, I do think it's fine to ask people to understand staff's situation before they bash what they're doing -- that's just (un?)common wisdom.

Apollo Justice

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2007, 06:39:54 pm »
Oh I dunno Radien, a lot of things are the way there are in the convention because nobody is willing to step up and do the things any differently than they've been done. If someone comes in and is willing to take up the reigns they get a lot of control over their little corner of the con.

Besides, I thought we were ALWAYS supposed to encourage people to become staff?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 07:10:05 pm »
Unofficial Kumoricon Motto:

KUMORICON!
"Wanna be staff???"

(secondary unofficial motto: "D'ja need more fliers???")

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2007, 06:10:07 am »
Ryan, dude, you are so on the wrong track when it comes to the tone of these forums.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2007, 08:01:12 am »
*superjaz enters to give an example how off topic this thread is*

chris and i just finished watching the first season of xena, funny stuff, which shows you dont have to be bi-sexual to enjoy classic slapstick of a high-larious bruce campbell as the king of thiefs
cuz i'm a cat and thats why i sing a song a song of meow meow meow!
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2007, 11:45:40 pm »
Oh I dunno Radien, a lot of things are the way there are in the convention because nobody is willing to step up and do the things any differently than they've been done. If someone comes in and is willing to take up the reigns they get a lot of control over their little corner of the con.

Oh, of course! We always need more staff. However, there've been times at other conventions (not K-con) when I've heard staffers use the negative phrase "if you don't like how it's done, then join staff and do it yourself." When that statement is used as a blanket defense against negative feedback, I consider it disrespectful to regular con-goers (and kind of a cop-out, for that matter).

Actual positive encouragement is always great, of course. Especially when you're asking people to help bring new content to the con! ^^ If someone seriously wants something we don't have, s/he may very well be the most qualified person to head our efforts to get it.

Apollo Justice

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2007, 11:01:05 am »

Oh, of course! We always need more staff. However, there've been times at other conventions (not K-con) when I've heard staffers use the negative phrase "if you don't like how it's done, then join staff and do it yourself." When that statement is used as a blanket defense against negative feedback, I consider it disrespectful to regular con-goers (and kind of a cop-out, for that matter).

Actual positive encouragement is always great, of course. Especially when you're asking people to help bring new content to the con! ^^ If someone seriously wants something we don't have, s/he may very well be the most qualified person to head our efforts to get it.

Honestly that's a really good point. And I like the fact that Kcon really is a PG13+ con (have you looked at the viewing list? Not much G rated there.) So there. Two cents for ya.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Recent News Item ...
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2007, 12:56:10 pm »
http://www.katu.com/news/entertainment/9332071.html

Here's a news article which I think is somewhat related to this topic, just as food for thought. Certain other countries have VERY strict rules about what ANYONE (citizens or not) can wear and do in public and during performances.

- GLL

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2007, 09:56:42 pm »
Honestly that's a really good point. And I like the fact that Kcon really is a PG13+ con (have you looked at the viewing list? Not much G rated there.) So there. Two cents for ya.

Thanks... I'm glad someone agrees that I'm not out in left field with that kind of thinking. :)

I like staffing, but I also like enjoying the con itself, so I try to see both sides whenever someone's desires for the convention collide with... well... reality.

Apollo Justice