Author Topic: the mini con, the mini con!  (Read 40592 times)

Offline Kexita

• Cabbit
the mini con, the mini con!
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:48:34 pm »
Due to some circumstances, me and all my friends didn't go the the mini con today! I still had a good day because I was with my boyfriend, but all my other friends got stuck having a crappy day, and I feel bad for them! T_T

So, since me and my merry little band of otakus didnt get to go to the mini con, would anyone like to share some stories? 83 I wanna hear all about it!: The funniest moments, the happiest moments, and the weirdest moments would be good too. Did you see anyone that you haven't seen since last kumori con? Was it organized pretty well? Was it a lot of fun? (oh well, i guess the fun question is a little obvious. XD)

Oh, and my biggest question was, did a lot of people cosplay? Even if i would have had the chance to go, I wouldnt have worn my costume, because I wanted to save it for the first day of the con. I was curious to find out if anyone else had thought like that, or was everybody all bright eyed and bushy-tailed in their outfits?
2005-Cat girl
2006-Kabuto, Anti Sora, sai
2007-Beauty Queen Etna
2008-Sonozaki Shion (Or am i mion? hee hee<3)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Kyumi/Picture005.jpg
Have you seen me? Im on the right and i went missing during k-con 2007! Please

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Re: the mini con, the mini con!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 10:40:55 pm »
Nope I wore my costume, figured if I wore it to the mini con people would recognize me more at the real con.  It was cool, not lots of people around so it was more like hanging out with some cool activities than some kind of a convention.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:11:22 am »
I wore a partial cosplay. Didn't have everything for the pirate cosplay yet so I just wore the boots, hat, and baldric with my Chloe cloak and a bokken. Kind of random but fun nonetheless :P

I didn't really do a whole lot, just hung out with my fellow yojimbo comrades mainly. It was a good time, though.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline misamisa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 01:57:17 am »
I ended up not attending the mini-con either, which was kind of a bummer because I'm trying to make the most of Kumoricon this year and meet lots of new people!  Oh well, I hope to meet you all when the convention comes around!  ;D

I had a great productive day anyway, I made awesome progress on my cosplay today, and I'm now about 90% done with one of my costumes, and about 75% with the other!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I'm feeling pretty good about it now, considering this is kinda my first cosplay and I don't even know how to sew!
k-con '09: Creed (Black Cat); Euphemia (Code Geass); Ichimaru (Bleach); Takano (Higurashi no Naku koro Ni)

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:25:29 am »
There was alot of good cosplay at Mini-Con.   I had a good time, but I was mostly just around other staff.  I am really curious to know how it was for the non-staff attendees.  It always looked like people were having fun when I peeked in the rooms  :D
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:26:19 am »
Agreed!

And by the way, ^^^This guy is THE guitar hero, just so we are clear, lol. I've never had so much fun getting owned at "Thunderhorse" ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 02:14:23 pm »
I cosplayed as a character I won't be for the real con, and my friend was Queen Sora because her Sora outfit wasn't finished yet. I took some pics of you wanna' see. http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/yagi-san/Kumoricon/

It was a lot of fun, though there wasn't much to do cuz I'm not much of a gamer and my friend wouldn't karaoke with me unless I forced her. But it was fun hanging out with people and making new friends. And chasing The Bucket. XD
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice
Simon - Minor Acts of Heroism
?? Essence - Red Hood & the Outlaws
?? Cassandra Cain Batgirl - Batman

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 03:38:42 pm »
I was the Host Club member behind the Pocky Club booth for most of the time, and I thought it was very fun. I played some Guitar Hero in the game room, and that was also fun. It was also cool to meet some people off of the forums, and talk to people about what cosplays they were going to be doing!

The Neko-Pan people were amazing! There food was sooooooo good, I wish I had more cash so I could buy more.

I think overall the mini-con was a positive experience and let us get the bugs worked out on some things!

THAT WAS YOU?!?!
-_-'
dang it...
well, um...i SAW you!! hehe
i was the one asking what the whole pocky club thing was about and stufff...yea
actually, now that i think about it, i should have known it was you,
because in your picture you have glasses...and that guy had glasses...
bah
oh well

aaaanyway....i'm loading my pictures as we speak so...yea
even if you didn't dress up, i still probably got a picture of you. lol.
my boyfriend took my camera and was practicing on how to take a picture that wasn't blury.
i've only got 7 more to go so..it won't take long!

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 04:40:13 pm »
ok! all done!
here's the link to the pictures:
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/corpsicbeauty/mini%20con%20pictures/
don't be suprized if you see yourself, i almost got everyone who went!! XD

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 08:03:48 pm »
Great seeing everyone there. My Japanese exchange students had a blast there. They spent most of the time sitting in the game room plaing "Mario Smash Brothers" (or whatever that game is called...I'm not certain). I wandered around and even attempted to sing some karaoke (hopefully my out of tune singing didn't horrify those in the room...). I also got a taste of Nekopan's baking and look forward to sugar overload at the con, as I'm sure I'll have to try the other flavors of cupcakes...

I wore stealth cosplay as I didn't want my exchange students to 'notice' that I was cosplaying...I dressed as Muriel Bouquet from Noir. (I've worn that costume on a trip in Japan, and no one even 'noticed' that I was cosplaying a character until I was in Gamers standing under a poster with Muriel on it....  :D

Thanks for posting the photos...I remember someone took my picture at the mini con, but haven't yet seen that pic posted...

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 08:39:51 pm »
Great seeing everyone there. My Japanese exchange students had a blast there. They spent most of the time sitting in the game room plaing "Mario Smash Brothers" (or whatever that game is called...I'm not certain). I wandered around and even attempted to sing some karaoke (hopefully my out of tune singing didn't horrify those in the room...). I also got a taste of Nekopan's baking and look forward to sugar overload at the con, as I'm sure I'll have to try the other flavors of cupcakes...

I wore stealth cosplay as I didn't want my exchange students to 'notice' that I was cosplaying...I dressed as Muriel Bouquet from Noir. (I've worn that costume on a trip in Japan, and no one even 'noticed' that I was cosplaying a character until I was in Gamers standing under a poster with Muriel on it....  :D

Thanks for posting the photos...I remember someone took my picture at the mini con, but haven't yet seen that pic posted...
..! Oh my gosh..I totally didn't even realize you were cosplaying! I totally should have, too. And kinda wish I wore my Chloe yesterday now :P
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Ruriko

• Sailor Scout
    • NekoPan Maid Cafe and Bakery
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 11:24:06 pm »
It was so awesome, we had so much fun!!  Admittedly, we had to kinda camp behind our little booth, but a lot of people came by, and I got to meet lots of people that I knew from the forums, and we had Pocky Club to keep things cheery.  :3

We all laughed a lot.  Looking forward to the big Con!  *happy dancing*

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 02:10:52 am »
yay someone took my picture and uploaded it, that makes me so happy!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 08:58:00 am »
well lets see i made bunches of cookies for staff and volunteers (not trying to one up neko pan i been bring cookies to meeting for a while now)
went up to envelope stuffing and vallie put me in charge of the room (do not worry i didnt go mad with power...really...)
It set op pretty well as i didnt want to to get too spread out of order (to keep it in alphabetlical'ness as possible) and it worked we all really stuffed those envelopes in record time woot
then we had to wait for more stuff to to so i called lunch (i was kinda pooped) it was funny con chair meg and guspasho were up (gus had brought some vollenters in earlyer) and was hey do you know where those kids went?" i is like kids?
i was half way down the hall before realizing i had sent them to lunch
then i helped pocky club showed how to glomp and bought a cool hat from the coplay . com girl
later checked on bag stuffing and pulled doubles of envelopes  ???
all in all busy day sleepy
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:29:37 am »
You really helped to keep that place in order, though. *thumbs up* I was only up there for a couple hours in the evening, but still, the place was a den of booming business, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 09:38:54 am »
You really helped to keep that place in order, though. *thumbs up* I was only up there for a couple hours in the evening, but still, the place was a den of booming business, lol
I just figured what ever i could organize would be one less thing for Vallie to worry about, since she was literly supost to be in two places at once

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 09:42:39 am »
ok! all done!

LOL wow I made it into alot of those pics.
and meg got titled as "the gir lady" she LOVES it hahaha
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline avatar

• Cabbit
    • http://www.avatarwa.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 09:58:24 am »
It was so awesome, we had so much fun!!  Admittedly, we had to kinda camp behind our little booth, but a lot of people came by, and I got to meet lots of people that I knew from the forums, and we had Pocky Club to keep things cheery.  :3

We all laughed a lot.  Looking forward to the big Con!  *happy dancing*

You guys rock!!!  Cannot waite until K-Con so I can get another sugar fix. 

KumoriCon Photos --> http://wp.me/P3Jzz-K
Blog -->   http://avatarwa.wordpress.com

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 10:55:38 am »
Yay! I had a great time, and I'm so pleased that everyone else did too. The best part of all is that I was able to relax, feel comfortable rather than frazzled, and enjoy myself during the whole thing; I didn't have to run around all day long, getting stopped by everyone, and manage crisis after crisis nonstop. That's my big pet peeve about working cons. After about 10:30 everyone on staff had the whole thing under control,  I was only needed for setup and tear-down, and I didn't have to do anything in between!

It was awesome to see the vendors we had, especially Neko-pan. Who ever thought up the cinnamon/chocolate rice krispy treats is awesome! I hope it was a profitable venture for you guys, and that we can get you back if we can do this thing again.

It also felt really good that so many people were there early and willing to set up in the morning. I'm so glad I didn't have to unload ANYTHING out of my car in the morning, enough staff and volunteers were happy to help. It was a little sad that tear-down was different. A lot of people left before tear-down and I had to do a lot of loading myself :( But that made those of you who stayed even more awesome!
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 11:26:09 am »

I know a bunch of peeps called me when they saw the gir hats but I really liked the momiji fruits basket hat more
uncharacteristically of me i wasn't wearing any gir stiff at all i had gotten a pretty top and wanted to wear that instead... and show off my pretty engagement ring

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 02:39:33 pm »
I sat behind the Pocky Club Booth for nearly the whole time but my Pocky Club members, even the new ones ;D, did a good job when they needed to take care of the booth.

We got 4 new members and made three deliveries. I'm going to have to take care of my voice at the convention because I was already hoarse by 6pm!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 02:58:03 pm »
What? Even with the megaphone?  :D

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline corpsic beauty

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 05:41:23 pm »
yay someone took my picture and uploaded it, that makes me so happy!
hehe well i'm glad your happy!
you were sesshomoru, correct?
well, then how could i NOT take your picture and put it up?!
your costume was really well done!

ok! all done!

hehe yea well, i think it's because my boyfriend is a fan of hellsing so..he rather liked your constume! XD
and you can tell meg that she was really cool and if she doesn't mind, it would be cool if we could all hang out at K-con, if that's ok?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 07:04:08 pm »
Thank you so much! I made this!

Pocky Club is the greatest communist plot since the fluoridation of water!

Edit:It says "Refreshment!"

Enjoy Eric.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:05:42 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 07:08:23 pm »
Mario is a confirmed communist czar, undercover in the states! Proof!

That picture is awesome, needs to be a Pocky Club poster/banner. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 08:59:02 pm »
XD;; YOSH!! Leninade for the WIN! It should so be a poster!
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 10:46:01 pm »
BWAHAA!

Oh, also Tom, your image should totally use this as its theme music.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/1/7/c/17c2156626bf09a35b3b9407539012e3.wav

...I'd make a YTMND of it, but I've avoided actually creating a YTMND account. >.>;
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 11:27:18 pm »
BWAHAA!

Oh, also Tom, your image should totally use this as its theme music.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/1/7/c/17c2156626bf09a35b3b9407539012e3.wav

...I'd make a YTMND of it, but I've avoided actually creating a YTMND account. >.>;
:D I love that song. Going off topic here...the Bleach Kon Onji AMV to that song = win.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 07:00:55 am »

Because I have no life, a high-speed internet connection, nothing to do, and already had a YTMND account; I bring you this:

http://refreshment.ytmnd.com/

OMG......I am the man now, DOG!

Many thanks to you Mustash! You always know how to kick it up a notch!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Kuranberi

• Oni
    • NekoPan Maid Café & Bakery
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 07:24:57 am »
*laughing* Oh man, that poster is the best thing ever.

I had loads of fun at the mini-con!  I was afraid it would be totally awkward because I've never been to anything convention related, but it was awesome.  Everyone was super friendly and people actually liked our NekoPan goodies!  It was great!  Just wait--our Kumoricon booth will be waaaaaaaay cooler.

So excited!

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2007, 01:40:11 am »
I saw myself once in all of those photos, well it was more of my tail, but hey. Did anyone else take pictures at the Mini con?

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2007, 02:17:50 am »
I had a great time at the mini-con, although my friends and I camped the gaming room playing smash all day (I whooped everyone as Luigi, it was a blast). Were those AMV's old ones or a preview of the AMV contest?? A lot of them were really funny. Oh well, I hope their will be more mini-cons in between Sakura-con and kumoricon.

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 02:31:33 am »
The AMVs were Amazing!

I have been looking for that crazy vampire hunter D bloodlust one all over youtube but can't find it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 04:29:17 am »
I had a great time at the mini-con, although my friends and I camped the gaming room playing smash all day (I whooped everyone as Luigi, it was a blast). Were those AMV's old ones or a preview of the AMV contest?? A lot of them were really funny. Oh well, I hope their will be more mini-cons in between Sakura-con and kumoricon.

haha, yeah those AMV's were amazing. But they were from past year's. No new AMV's were shown at Minicon. I know because I was eagerly waiting to see if any of mine would play, but Guy said they were just old AMV's.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 07:02:23 am »
The AMVs for the competition will be first shown at Kumoricon... we don't want to give away any of the surprises. Gotta go to the AMV competition to see them.
Oh, you need to go to http://www.animemusicvideos.org to download good AMVs. Youtube may have a few AMVs, but the video quality is very bad and they can't be downloaded.

Offline goatchild

• Bunnygirl
    • The Potato Smashers
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 09:10:46 pm »
Actually, if you really wanna' download YouTube videos, Zamzar.com has a function for converting YouTube videos online. I use it all the time. ^^
ECCC/Sakuracon 2012
Impulse - Young Justice

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
AMVs at the mini con
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 06:43:06 am »
Yes, the AMVs shown at the Mini-con were mostly from last year and a few older gems tossed in.
I have a 95-min lineup of NEW amvs for this year. Programming has given me TWO amv blocks (in addition to the off-hours show) and since the second showing isn't the contest, I am thinking of mixing in contest runner-up AMVs - many of these were well-made.

Also, if you are looking for an AMV:
a) bring your own computer or USB drive
b) make sure there is space on the device
c) see me at the AMV Clinic.

If I have the one you are talking about, I'll give you a copy.

Other Notes:
- I don't collect WMVs.
- I don't go out of my way to collect explicit AMVs. If I encounter one that happens to include explicit material, I save it in a special directory for the off-hours show. AMV contest entries which got bounced for explicit content also end up in the off-hours show.

OK - Back to working out effects for the FINAL TEN SECONDS of the contest OP!
("Hash Animation Master v12, sustain me in these darkest hours.....!")

- G

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:45:39 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »
I saw myself once in all of those photos, well it was more of my tail, but hey. Did anyone else take pictures at the Mini con?

Are you the guy with the black wolf tail?

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 01:29:59 am »

Heh, I remember you guys. There were 5 or 6 of you, right? Did you end up playing Smash until 10pm when the mini-con closed? My girlfriend and I stayed only until 7:00 or so, and we have a no-stakes bet about whether you literally played Smash for the whole mini-con. ;)

I played you guys a couple of times. One time I bit the dust because I made a couple of stupid mistakes (I'm rusty), but the other time I came in 2nd behind Luigi, which I'm proud of considering my lack of practice. (By the way, you're cruel for picking that color...pink Luigi is worrysome.)
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 01:26:40 pm »

Wow, you actually got the color and the specie type right. XD Yeah, that was me.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 02:50:42 pm »

Wow, you actually got the color and the specie type right. XD Yeah, that was me.

Totally envious. Very good job! I've seen you a couple of times but never introduced myself. And I see you are the Sign King too! Um, I have yet to get you any requests... are you still taking them???

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 02:53:34 pm »

Totally envious. Very good job! I've seen you a couple of times but never introduced myself. And I see you are the Sign King too! Um, I have yet to get you any requests... are you still taking them???
Heh, I bought the tail from www.furrhappens.com and I'm easy to spot in a crowd. Can't really /not/ see a guy with a tail.

If the sign is for the con, you need to fill out the form on the site and make sure it gets to me by next meeting. Otherwise, I can't do much about it as I think we are printing them next meeting. Meg or Jeff can correct me on that one.

Offline Necromancer1000

• Oni
    • My DeviantArt Account
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 01:33:55 pm »
OOOOH!   I was there at the Mini-Con!   I was the Link that was pwning with the bucket for the first few minutes, and came back later in an unfinished Hinata cosplay, to see that Itachi had stolen my BUCKET POINT GLORY FROM ME!!!  I'll get you Itachi, I will GET you, come K-Con!  MARK MY WORDS, AND HEED THEM WELL!

Hehehehe, me and Mike (aka Reeve) had a lot of fun.  I was either in the game room getting an asthma attack on DDR, or playing Guitar Hero on Expert.  And I was in the AMV room for the last few hours as Mike man'd the computer.  I wish I'd brought my camera, there were so many cool peoplez there. ;w;
And I followed that Naruto cosplayer around a bit as Hinata, though she probably didn't notice <w<  heeheehee *Stalker-laugh*

Did everyone see that awesome Reeve!~? 8D
.:'I love to go down to the school yard and watch all the little children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming... they don't know that I'm only using blanks.':.