Author Topic: How do we become staff?  (Read 14632 times)

PrincessFrodo

How do we become staff?
« on: April 26, 2004, 01:22:47 pm »
I worked Security, basic mook level, at Sakura Con this past weekend and was told about the Con down here.

How do I sign up as Security Staff, how much does it cost, what are the benefits, and is there any chanceI can just crash in the Security room while working there? ^.^;

Offline Tetsuo687

• Oni
    • http://www.687th.com/
How do we become staff?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 01:47:30 pm »
(I know this isn't regarding your question, so disregard this post; no need to reply. I'd just like to say thank you for being part of the Security staff. I had lost something at the con, an anime themed step counter, and you guys had found it. I’d had it for over 2 years, so loosing it was kind of weird for me. Thanks so much for everything, and sorry about the scare that involved one girl under-aged whom you thought went missing. She was just hanging out in the gazebo right outside the windows of the security room, talking with several friends. I'm happy to see everything went so smoothly at SakuraCon, great work!)

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
How do we become staff?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 02:37:02 pm »
you can get in touch with our head of security via security@kumoricon.org  We will be posting information about our General Meeting in Portland soon.  There are also weekly meetings in Eugene on Thursday nights at 6:30pm in the Chiles building on the U of Oregon campus, room 125.
~Sean Larson~

PrincessFrodo

How do we become staff?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 07:01:45 pm »
Quote from: "Tetsuo687"
(I know this isn't regarding your question, so disregard this post; no need to reply. I'd just like to say thank you for being part of the Security staff. I had lost something at the con, an anime themed step counter, and you guys had found it. I’d had it for over 2 years, so loosing it was kind of weird for me. Thanks so much for everything, and sorry about the scare that involved one girl under-aged whom you thought went missing. She was just hanging out in the gazebo right outside the windows of the security room, talking with several friends. I'm happy to see everything went so smoothly at SakuraCon, great work!)

No problem.  And me and some friends were actually about to give up our hiro concert tickets to go searching for that girl, but then she was found minutes after that announcment. ^.^

And thank you for the contact information, though I doubt I will be able to attend any meetings until at least this summer(My grandparents live near the U of O campus) because of how expensive gas is, and where I live. ^.^;

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
How do we become staff?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 07:12:34 pm »
We're going to try and hold meetings in multiple locations to accomodate staffers that wish to be involved but can't frequently travel to Eugene.  I'm looking at organizing our first General Meeting in Portland for the end of May.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Roddy_McMay

• Oni
    • http://
How do we become staff?
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 08:07:40 pm »
If there is one or more then one in Portland then I can make it! I am thinking about applying for staff, but with work and my 2 year old son it would make it nearly imposable to travel to Eugene from Beaverton. If I could travel that far it would only be once every other month if I was lucky.

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
How do we become staff?
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 08:43:01 pm »
Several of us travel to portland fairly regularly, so at the very least, we can set up for a meeting to answer questions, give you a good idea of what would be involved in being a staff member, etc. For all intents and purposes, it will be a lot like being staff for sakuracon... only probably less work considering our 1/5 expected attendance.

Glad to see you on the forums Frodo, since I'm guessing who you are .

At this point though, we're all still a little "jet lagged" (or should it be Conlagged) and when we do have a meeting in Portland it most likely will not be until the end of May or sometime in June at the latest (I would imagine). If we do get a substancial response from people wanting to help out, and at this point, that is looking likely, we very well might have a meeting in Portland sooner rather than later. So, if you do find friends or fellow SakuraCon staffers that want to give us some of their time, and help us out, that's great. I know QEvil is planning on moving up to the Portland area some time this summer... and my family is all up in Portland, so I try to make it up there around 1-2 times a month. It would not be difficult to set up a meeting.

If you have any other questions, post away... myself or QEvil will no doubt answer them fairly quickly.

-Staze aka Legolas
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

PrincessFrodo

How do we become staff?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 11:17:53 am »
Glad to see you working for Kumori Con Legolas! ^.^

And yes, this is the Frodo that went hoarse by Sunday by working my shifts and yelling at the crowd to clear the war for the DDR stuff. ^.^;

How big was Kumori Con last year?

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
How do we become staff?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 11:35:23 am »
Kumoricon had 418 people last year, when we were only expecting 300 tops.  Hopefully with all the advertising we're adding and the fact that we'll be in Portland, we hope to have 1000 attendees this year.
~Sean Larson~

PrincessFrodo

How do we become staff?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 11:40:55 am »
Wow..... we had more than 1k people alone attending the AMV contest at Sakura Con! O.o

I could keep them in line with a freakin whip! ^.^

Which means I won't have to pull a thrity hour shift before a six hour drive home, yay! ^.^

Offline sakuri

• Cabbit
How do we become staff?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 12:29:45 pm »
Adding to this question, is there anything people under eighteen can do to help?  I'd like to, but I won't be eighteen until three months after the con.

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
How do we become staff?
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 01:11:34 pm »
The SakuraCnon last weekend was my first con experience and one of my friends worked security and I would like to help out for this one if I can. :wink:    If it helps to know, I also live in Portland.  Making it easier and I won't have to travel far. :)
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007
I wanted everyone to survive the con.

Offline Prog_Imp

• Cabbit
More items needed
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 07:08:49 pm »
Frodo, with you losing your voice at the Sakuracon, should I add a mega phone to list of items to bring to this con?  Mainly so I can still talk you and not hear you squeek out that everyone needs their badges on their chest...

Prog Imp
=======

Prog Imp
"Winter is coming." -- Motto of House Stark

PrincessFrodo

How do we become staff?
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 08:51:14 pm »
No that's okay.  I should have remembered that I had throat lozengers in my room, and not had five hours of shouting at the registration line the day before. ^.^;

That, and I'm going to do the smart thing and advise all Security Staff to have water/juice bottles on hand for such... throat devastating occurances. ^.^

Offline Stiffler

• Sailor Scout
    • http://24.20.135.157
How do we become staff?
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 08:33:03 am »
Yeah, water is good. Especially when your working lights and cameras in the rafters of a concert like the one we had at SakuraCon

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
How do we become staff?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2004, 11:36:09 am »
As far as people under 18 that want to help, we have to follow the same rules as SakuraCon, so they can volunteer and get cool volunteer swag, but they unfortunately cannot be staff.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Shikamaru

• Cabbit
How do we become staff?
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2004, 01:15:32 pm »
what's "swag?"

"You can't see me!" - John Cena
"Omai bushu dayo!" - Me
"Cocaine is one helluva drug" - Rick James

PrincessFrodo

How do we become staff?
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 01:40:12 pm »
Swag is just a 1337 way of saying stuff. ^.^

Offline Katy

• Cabbit
    • http://www.geocities.com/lobstercrunchies
How do we become staff?
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2004, 02:00:17 pm »
how exactly would we go about volunteering ? *is 15* because,  id love to lol
<font face="arial" color="#000000" size="3">Your mom goes here</font>

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
How do we become staff?
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2004, 03:08:33 pm »
Easiest way to volunteer is to contact our Volunteer Coordinator via volunteer@kumoricon.org
~Sean Larson~

Offline Prog_Imp

• Cabbit
Volunteering
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 03:54:59 pm »
Due to many of the legal constraints (yeah let the lawyers in), those under 16 are unable to volunteer  :cry:  (I won't go into all that fun), and some positions require that you be 18.  I do apologize but do hope to hear from you next year for volunteering.  Thank you for your intrest.

Prog Imp
Volunteer Coordinator
=======

Prog Imp
"Winter is coming." -- Motto of House Stark

Offline staze

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://www.staze.org/
How do we become staff?
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 04:53:13 pm »
At the least, we really would prefer 18 or older for volunteers as well, just so we don't have to shoo them off when curfew hits, or even better, we can use them to find minors themselves.  

"What, how can you tell me to go to shoo when you yourself are a minor?"

:-P
-Staze
Founding Member, Altonimbus Entertainment
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

PrincessFrodo

How do we become staff?
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2004, 08:06:59 pm »
Just make sure registration gets everyone the right type of badge.  I had to card a 65 year old man with a minor badge at Sakura Con.  He showed me his senior citizen discount card.  It was so embarassing, but he was very kind and understanding about it thankfully. ^.^