Author Topic: changing costume??  (Read 3915 times)

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
changing costume??
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:41:56 am »
when you go to an all weekend one do you usually just keep your character all weekend or do you change??

i think it'd be kinda cool to come as my character normal on day then the next come as her transformed.
or is it more normal to stay with one costume for the who convetion weekend??

yes yes i'm a newb..
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: changing costume??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 01:31:02 am »
It depends on the person, really.

My first two conventions (Kumoricon 2005/Sakura-con 2006) I only had one costume (mainly because that was all I could afford) so I went as that character all three days at both. Kumoricon 2006/Sakura-con 2007 I had two costumes so I wore those switching up the days. This year I will have three so I'll be wearing all three, not sure on how I am going to arrange the days yet though.

In other words: it is completely normal to have only one costume for some, for some it is normal to wear multiple.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline SkylarTheAizen

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:35:43 am »
...Eyebrows...

Yeah, It's really up to you, and it depends on your character.
I only have one costume too, and I'm defiantely wearing it all 3 days.
This is my first Anime Convention... I'm so excited!!!

"He's like a kitten... minus the fur... or any of the other cat stuff."

Plans for Sakuracon and Kumoricon '08

Cloud Strife -Advent Children
Loz -Advent Children
Squall-

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:45:45 am »
You can do more than one, lots of people do it.
Me personally I like doing one costume per con.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 07:15:50 am »
Yeah, it depends on you. In the case that you want to dress at the same character, don't forget to spray your costume with something (Febreeze?) to get the past day's odor out. ;;

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 08:07:53 am »
I tend to bring a lot of costumes and often will swap costumes several times a day (depending upon my mood and what I'll be doing next). I've been known to wear up to 12 costumes in a weekend, but usually try not to bring more than 6 so that there's enough room for the other junk we have to haul along to the convention. 

I understand that some people want to wear the same character the whole weekend because they like being that character... we can usually identify those who do wear the same costume all weekend by the *smell* part way through the second day. If you do want to be the same character all weekend, I suggest you hang up the costume at night and try to get it to air out (perhaps hang it on the balcony so the breeze could take away the perspiration)...and spray a bit of febreeze on it on the inside to freshen it up.  8) 

I suppose if I were in the mood to be the same character all weekend, I'd make 3 identical copies of the costume so I could wear a clean one each day.  :D

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 10:03:15 am »
If you only have one costume, I do suggest changing into civilian clothes at some point each day to let your costume air out (you can use this time to shower! ;D ) and people won't really give you a hard time for not cosplaying.

I try and get a costume to wear each day, and at least one new costume each year. I tend to have all sorts of crazy ideas for costumes that don't really come together so I use back up ideas. My Hermes the motorad costume is doomed unless my dad comes through with some parts, but I'll still have a couple of new costumes to play with.

The only day where I'll run back to the room and change into a new costume is the day of the cosplay contest, in case I need a costume for the show that I can't really wear all over the place or I want it to be a surprise. In fact, Comic-con in San Diego makes people competing in the costume contest NOT wear their costumes before the contest. It can get you disqualified! :o

Basically, bring as many costumes as you can and change if you want to get a photo with someone or you're taking part in an event. It's no big deal.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline SkylarTheAizen

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:29:34 pm »
There are remedies to a smelly costume though, but Febreezing is a good one, Just wear a shirt and shorts under your costume, if you can that is, and make sure to wear antiperspirant. A can of Axe does the costume good lol.

"He's like a kitten... minus the fur... or any of the other cat stuff."

Plans for Sakuracon and Kumoricon '08

Cloud Strife -Advent Children
Loz -Advent Children
Squall-

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 12:38:56 pm »
... In fact, Comic-con in San Diego makes people competing in the costume contest NOT wear their costumes before the contest. It can get you disqualified! :o

Actually, not allowing people to wear their costume competition entries during the convention prior to the competition has always been the standard for the costume competitions at most Science Fiction conventions and CostumeCon. I don't recall the reasons behind that tradition, but it has always been that way. I was quite surprised the first time I went to an anime convention and found out that they were not following that tradition.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 01:45:14 pm »
Probably some sort of con drama from the 70s where someone got mellow yellow on someone else's space suit and it "lost them the prize" and the staff avoided it in the future by making it a rule rather than a suggestion. Just to avoid people complaining.

Staffers do that from time to time....  ::)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 06:23:22 pm »
I would sometimes wear one at a con... if it's washable (and you are in a hotel room during the duration of the con), you always have a tub and a dryer afterwards... you'll just be up half of the night drying it xD
it works though^^;;
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:25:19 pm by makichan »
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 07:53:37 pm »
Ok I'm probably going to be wearing several costumes during the weekend but I saw that two of the photoshoots are on the same day, and the hotel i'm probably going to be staying at is more than walking distance away and I don't have a car. What can I do?

Offline fuu_sunflower

• Oni
    • http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=219743322
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 11:17:14 pm »
I normaly just go as 1 character for a hole convetion, because not alot of people have seen your costume the first or secent day it makes it where they can get a chance to get your picture of they want, I went to the sakuracon 2007 as Fuu From Samurai Champloo all 3 days and Im doing the same for the Kumoricon 2007 My friends all think of me and call me Fuu any ways n_n
See Every One At The Kumoricon, I'll Be Cosplaying As Fuu!!!.

Offline TheOffspring

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/Julievee
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 10:48:13 am »
I think it's cool when people change costumes.  Me personally, I'm not going to do it because I'll have worked so hard and long on my costume, I don't really want to get another one. I'd rather show off the one I have for two days  ;D

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 11:23:25 am »
I always change my costumes! Some times I'll wear multiple costumes a day, depending on how my mood changes. Also sometimes my costumes cant be worn for more than a few hours without me dieing XD
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 12:38:48 am »
I only have one character so I use her all weekend but its good to have some changes of clothes to jump into if need be (cause you get hot and stinky sometimes we all know it happens...) some people have multiple cosplays like um... big chris had like 7 or more at Kcon and Sakuracon... it was pretty cool.. So its really cool to have more than one cosplay but if you dont thats ok too cause sometimes its easier to recognize people if you know what they are all weekend... Lolz but make up your mind... cause not only do you have to haul all those cosplay outfits up there but you gotta bring back all your other goodies with those outfits too heh... but whatever you do have fun with it!

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 10:22:13 pm »
i'll most likely end up with one costume all weekend considering the amount of time i have left. and my first costume isn't exactly made..... :-\..... living in portland i have washer and dryer to yay there and mmmmmmmmmmmmm axe....... lol thanks guys :D
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")