Author Topic: Publishing Industry, Self-Publishing, and Artists Alley 101 - Pre-panel topics!  (Read 4145 times)

Offline CassieR

• Sailor Scout
All right, this year I'm doing three panels.
Artist Alley 101 (3:30-4:30 Sunday, Creation Station Panel Room)
Do you love hanging out in the Alley, and now want to make the leap to setting up an art marketing table
yourself? From business aspects (sales tax?) to how to print and display your items, to facing others’ biases of what constitutes anime art, Artist Alley veteran Cassie Richoux will give you a head start.

World of Publishing (6:00-7:00 Saturday, Creation Station Panel Room)
Wondering how a book makes it into the world of traditional publishing? We’re talking the big guys here, from Scholastic to Tokyopop. Even more so, what happens to your book once it’s accepted? Join panelist Cassie Richoux as she helps you understand the path your book will take and what you as the author or artist can do to help it along its path.

Putting it in Print (7:00-8:00 Saturday, Creation Station Panel Room)
For all you creative individuals out there who are brave enough to self-publish and want to learn how. This is for web comic artists, fiction and non-fiction writers, as well as the curious book lover. Learn some strategies about how to put your masterpieces together and what to do once you have them in hand. Panelist Cassie Richoux has her master’s degree in publishing, and she self-publishes her own series of ‘zines, called the Otaku Survival Guides.

So, with these summaries in mind, what would you like to make sure I cover?   Usually I try to go by topic publishing - getting an agent, marketing, printers, copyright
artists alley - displays, sales tax, travel/budgeting, getting prints made, copyright

I like to let people ask questions as we go, as well as speak up if they have their own experiences with the topic.   But, take advantage of the forum to make suggestions on topics you'd like me to focus on. This is my first time teaching the Artists Alley panel, so I'd love to know whats on your mind there.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
I'd definately cover how hardcore companies like TokyoPop screw people out of their rights, stories, characters and otherwise intellectual property . . .
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline CassieR

• Sailor Scout
True. Thats kind of a newer issue, Tokyopop is quickly headed down the road of being a company to avoid.  As far as I know, that's the only example of a company who is screwing over writers/artists that badly, but you should always look at a contract carefully and understand exactly what you're signing.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Wow, I guess it's totally different being on the editing end; I've only had positive experiences in the publishing world.

Looking forward to your panels....Love you.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline CassieR

• Sailor Scout
TokyoPop is beginning to develop a reputation. Yeah, they will take all your rights according to the contract, and pay you next to nothing.

Editing is different, cause you don't actually have any creative content up for sale, you're just deal with other people's.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
TokyoPop is beginning to develop a reputation. Yeah, they will take all your rights according to the contract, and pay you next to nothing.

Editing is different, cause you don't actually have any creative content up for sale, you're just deal with other people's.

True, but I generally end up rewriting significant portions of the text.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).