Poll

What is the best weekend for YOU to attend the camping trip?

Friday July 6th - Sunday July 8th
1 (6.3%)
Friday July 13th - Sunday July 15th
6 (37.5%)
Friday July 20th - Sunday July 22th
3 (18.8%)
Friday August 3rd - Sunday August 5th
1 (6.3%)
Any of these weekends
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: June 16, 2007, 04:27:33 pm

Author Topic: K-con Forums Camping Trip!  (Read 10479 times)

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
K-con Forums Camping Trip!
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:27:33 pm »
Ok guys, the camping trip is in its early stages, so I wanted to get a census of the people planning on attending as to what would be the best weekend for us to get the most people available to come.

Please only vote in the poll if you are wanting/planning to attend and not just to vote so that I can get an accurate count =D

Thanks everyone!

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 10:16:35 pm »
Anyone who has not heard of the camping trip already..

Please refer to: http://www.kumoricon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4577

my topic about camping in the spam section. ^^

Offline Pezzer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:59:19 pm »
come on you know it would just be too perfict to be out in the woods on Friday the 13th.
if you are reading this i have broken free

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 12:19:38 am »
I'm not sure if you guys deciced on a fixed number of people, or just inviting people you know but this sounds cool.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:55:37 am »
Just inviting whoever wants to go and who can help contribute something to the trip; supplies, food, camping gear, RIDES, etc.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 02:39:41 pm »
I have a two person tent (though I 'd rather share someone else's) and a sleeping bag and would love to go. I camped all the time back in Boy Scouts but hardly get to go at ALL lately.

I don't know if Vallie would want to go with since I've only taken her camping once and it was bad due to the people we shared the site with.

I know I won't have to work at least!

PS, my folks are having a garage sale this weekend and we're selling abunch of our camping gear. So if you're out by Forest Grove Saturday you can get stuff for the trip! :lol:
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 05:23:50 pm »
Ok sooo some bad news.  I just check with my boss and since one of my managers is getting married, the only weekend I have available to take off is August 10th-12th which sorta makes the poll pointless. However since I am planning it, I would like be able to attend.  And although there is nothing against planning more than one trip since space more than likely will be limited depending where we go, this is the weekend I am setting the trip for.

Soo.. Is that weekend in August going to be good for anyone else.  I know Pieisexactlythree said anytime is good for him which is the main person who matters for the trip so how about everyone else?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 05:32:15 pm »
Uhhhhhh....there's a meeting on the 15th of July. The most popular weekend.

Who's up for going straight there from the campsite and stinking them out!?
Woooooo!

Seriously though. It's still my choice weekend but maybe we should just plan on camping Friday night and leaving Saturday night?
How many people could get that Friday off?  :twisted:
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline kyonichi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:51:51 pm »
I'm all for August 10-12, but I wouldn't be able to take Friday off, since I'm already trying to take a week off in July for a 50-mile backpacking trek...  If I keep taking time off, it'll cut into how much spending money I have at the con!

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 11:41:02 pm »
You could always show up late but i am not sure how easy it will be to find everyone, we'll see where we are ^^

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:36:45 am »
since you found a date for the camping, is their going to be another topic of whos officially going? i'm a little interested i'd like to get to know more people who are into anime.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 07:58:05 pm »
Quote from: "balmno"
since you found a date for the camping, is their going to be another topic of whos officially going? i'm a little interested i'd like to get to know more people who are into anime.

You should come to the meetings and stuff then ^^ yes i will have some more info in just a little bit

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 11:32:24 am »
speaking of those meetings, what happens at them?

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 12:03:41 pm »
....Please read other sections of the forums for these answers... such as the MEETINGS section.  

Also balmno, how old are you? Just curious

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 08:15:13 pm »
No one's said anything in this thread about the location, but I'm going to assume somewhere right outside Portland, or maybe west. It seems that in general whenever anyone from Kumori Con talks about doing anything they basically mean Portland-or-bugger-off. Anytime I suggest anything that's at all further south, it's generally ignored completely.

That said, I'm an Eagle Scout and know all about camping, but I rarely use those skills to their full extent, since I'm too attached to electronics and non-electric shiny stuff. (Shiny = geeky.) Usually when I go camping it's at an SCA event, where they're pretty good at remaining geeky even without AC power and running water.

A Kumori Con campout could be fun, but remember that a lot of anime fandom runs on AC power. Be sure you have ways of sufficiently stimulating your common interests in lieu of that.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline kyonichi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 09:04:49 pm »
Manga doesn't take electricity...  Plus, I think the cool thing about a get-together like this is it kinda forces conversation, rather than just basking in front of a screen showing anime or something.  About the Portland-centric thing...  Realize that Portland is the middle ground in most cases, since people come from north and south to attend the con.  I'd be coming from Tacoma, so Portland is already plenty far south for me, thanks.  In any case, I'm also an Eagle, so it would be cool to meet another Eagle who's also anime-inclined!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 02:03:45 pm »
Quote from: "kyonichi"
In any case, I'm also an Eagle, so it would be cool to meet another Eagle who's also anime-inclined!

....or two.... <_<
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 08:52:53 pm »
Pie knows where we are going, I think he said it is close to Mt Hood, so it isn't a traditional campsite and it will require a small like half mile walk to get to the site.  

So anyone who is for sure interested in going on the camping trip Aug 10th-12th please PM me so i can start to get an initial count and know who to send details to that would be awesome ^^

ALSO: Please let me know what you will be able to contribute such as food, rides, camping gear, etc.

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 01:46:42 am »
Quote from: "leashy"
....Please read other sections of the forums for these answers... such as the MEETINGS section.  

Also balmno, how old are you? Just curious

I'm 18 years old. I just live outa the way of things, and was wondering if those meetings were worth the trip.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 02:15:53 pm »
Quote from: "balmno"

I'm 18 years old. I just live outa the way of things, and was wondering if those meetings were worth the trip.

Yeah well it is nice to meet people from the forums and things and if you are interested in volunteering or getting more involved in the backworkings of the con then you definitely do want to go to the meetings, but really if you are just going to meet people and not to find out more about the con then you are better off going to forum meet ups and such.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 07:05:13 pm »
Quote from: "Mr_Mustash"
That's right! It's Tom "The Eagle Scout" Fanboy!

Dude, both of you are Eagle Scouts as well?  Dang, we she start a group for this...

We could become our own variety of Boy Scout Recruiters! Our motto: "Eagle Scouts Love Anime." We could tour the state, visiting Boy Scout troops and trying to pull them into the convention scene. ;) ...Hahaha... *revels in how bad an idea this would be, grinning all the while*

Manga doesn't take electricity...  Plus, I think the cool thing about a get-together like this is it kinda forces conversation, rather than just basking in front of a screen showing anime or something.

You've got a point there. People at the holiday party were really antisocial because they had about 6 different screens to stare at, rather than talk to eachother. It'd be good to avoid that in the future.

You see, I tend to think of it differently because I prefer video gaming, which can be a social activity. ;) I've probably spent less than 3 hours in the viewing rooms during all of the Kumori Cons combined. Normally, for me, a screen only leads me to antisociality if that's what I want it to do.

About the Portland-centric thing...  Realize that Portland is the middle ground in most cases, since people come from north and south to attend the con.  I'd be coming from Tacoma, so Portland is already plenty far south for me, thanks.

Well, that's fine and all, but if you're in Tacoma, that means that you're practically in Sakura Con's backyard. Kumori Con, on the other hand, is the only anime convention in (or near) Oregon, and there's absolutely nothing further south until you're well into California. That considered, why exactly should we be moving things further north? Favoring Washingtonians over southern Oregonians means they get events from two anime conventions, while we lose events from the only one we've got.  -_-;

I'm sorry if I'm a little touchy on this subject. :? It's just that I've been driving 6+ hours to Sakura Con once a year since 2000, while I watch Eugene become an anime desert, despite originating Oregon's first anime convention. It would be nice to live in Portland, but it's not like Eugene is Smallville, either. Where did all the anime go?...

Apollo Justice

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 09:20:57 am »
Quote from: "Radien"
 That considered, why exactly should we be moving things further north? Favoring Washingtonians over southern Oregonians means they get events from two anime conventions, while we lose events from the only one we've got.  -_-;

*whistles innocently since radien has been added to his LJ friendslist....*

Vallie and I will not be going on the camping trip. Sorry, she's too busy with Registration and I'm too busy with Pocky Club, my three panel/events, my 6 year old Vampire game and my new D&D game.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 11:25:19 am »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
my 6 year old Vampire game and my new D&D game.

He is just bragging he gets to play RPG's with girls just like Jack Chick said
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 11:41:16 am »
Radien I totally agree with you.

I don't know if it's the best idea for me to do a big outing the weekend before anime evolution, but if i'm all caught up on that con, i could see joining you up there for sat night.

i actually read some of the sakuracon novella submissions out in a campground, so i could make it a tradition :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 01:48:45 pm »
Hey, I'm sorry if my last post sounded a little negative. It ended up sounding more skeptical than I'd ever intended. For instance, this weekend when I was at the anime party in Tigard, someone said "I agree with Steve, I don't like camping," and I was like "Wha...?!??"

After going to the party, though, I'm a lot more optimistic about convention gettogethers being fun. ^^ I wasn't very happy at the Christmas party last December, so it was really nice for a change.

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to go to the camping trip due to money concerns, but I bet it will be a lot of fun. I hope plenty of people manage to attend.

Apollo Justice

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 10:23:09 am »
Quote from: "Radien"
Hey, I'm sorry if my last post sounded a little negative. It ended up sounding more skeptical than I'd ever intended. For instance, this weekend when I was at the anime party in Tigard, someone said "I agree with Steve, I don't like camping," and I was like "Wha...?!??"

After going to the party, though, I'm a lot more optimistic about convention gettogethers being fun. ^^ I wasn't very happy at the Christmas party last December, so it was really nice for a change.

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to go to the camping trip due to money concerns, but I bet it will be a lot of fun. I hope plenty of people manage to attend.

Radien, cash ought to be about the least of your concerns.  I'll be providing much of the supplies, as well as transportation and sundries, so you will probably just need to budget for food.  You would have spent that money on food even if you'd stayed home since you still need to eat, you know?

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 02:46:35 pm »
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"
Radien, cash ought to be about the least of your concerns.  I'll be providing much of the supplies, as well as transportation and sundries, so you will probably just need to budget for food.  You would have spent that money on food even if you'd stayed home since you still need to eat, you know?

I'm only really concerned about gas prices. Yeah, I'm not worrying quite so much about food even if I have to provide my own, since I can get it from Costco, anyway. How would you help with transportation, though? Wouldn't I need to get to Portland or some other distant location?

I'd be happy if this proved possible, though, so I'm all ears. :) Yay camping. Oh, by the way, if we need tents, I have my own four-man that I just bought recently. It's pretty nice, and I've only used it once.

Apollo Justice

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 03:32:56 pm »
Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if it might not be good idea for all you folks down south to just do your own camping trip.  There can be more than one, afterall.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 03:58:24 pm »
Quote from: "pieisexactlythree"
Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if it might not be good idea for all you folks down south to just do your own camping trip.  There can be more than one, afterall.

Nah, it's dead here. If I do anything involving camping down south, it's probably going to be SCA, which isn't dead in this part of Oregon.

As long as the camping trip isn't relocated to Olympia or something, I'll try to go. But even if I can't, I'd still like Leashy's plans to succeed. :)

Apollo Justice

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 07:28:54 pm »
UPDATE ^^

ok so here is the list of people who said they should be attending so far:

pieisexactlythree
leashy
dakrum
Mr_Mustash
dealrith
kyonichi
balmno
radien (maybe)

Yay!!  We are almost at our limit for atendees however if there is anyone else who is looking to come please PM me so I can keep you updated =D

If your name is on the list, be prepared for updates in the near future ^^

Offline Dealrith

• Sailor Scout
Re: K-con Forums Camping Trip!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2007, 09:26:14 am »
OK.....with us getting this close to the camping date I think all who are expected to go need to group up at the next meeting and discuss how we want things to work out and finalize everything......I for one am not totaly sure of where we're going and I would like to actualy meet the people who I might be stuck camping next to for a few days ;D
2014 - 2018 - Quartermaster Staff Manager
2013 - Quartermaster
2012 - Quartermaster
2011 - Quartermaster
2010 - Vice Chair
2009 - Director of Operations
2008 - Yojimbo Floor Manager
2007 - Yojimbo

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2007, 10:09:09 pm »
I completely agree!! I shall be there so whoever else is there please look for me!

Offline {Die}Destroyer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 01:19:35 pm »
me and my friend can make it we have been at the last 2 meetings and are staff.

Offline balmno

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2007, 01:22:28 pm »
what did you guys decide on for the k-con camping trip. sorry i couldn't make it i was busy with work and moving. but, I will be able to come to future meetings.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 11:31:01 am »
Ok Everyone due to lack of participation as well as confliction with the mini con on August 11th, the camping trip is hereby cancelled.

So thanks for everything, it is too bad that it can't work out August 10-12th but everyone should come to the mini con it should be blast!!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 02:40:37 pm »
I'm sorry it didn't work out this time. :( We should totally try to plan one after the con.  The weather is typically still very good around con time (in the past I've jokingly complained that Kumori Con is no longer "kumori"), so it should be at least a month until it starts raining more regularly. Fall is a nice time to go camping.

Apollo Justice

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 11:53:45 am »
Please keep me posted.  I am free pretty much every weekend, and can leave work other days too, if I feel like it.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 12:54:29 pm »
gomen it was a good idea but we just busy people
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 01:10:18 pm »
Well, just don't put it on a general meeting weekend next time.
2008 Facilities Liaison

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2007, 10:15:18 am »
Well, no meeting for me either!  I'm in L.A. that weekend, hence my bailing out of the camping trip.