Author Topic: Anyone cosplayed any obscure characters?  (Read 7687 times)

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
Anyone cosplayed any obscure characters?
« on: April 18, 2007, 06:50:12 pm »
I'm thinking about cosplaying Neuro from Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (although I have yet to read the manga, but I love him in Shonen Jump Ultimate Stars :lol: ),  although it's definately not set in stone. I'm sure not many have heard of him, since the manga is yet to be released into the states...

How about you guys? What were your experiences? Cause most of the cosplays I've done so far at KumoriCon have been pretty mainstream (Tsuzuki from Yami no Matsuei, Nekozawa from Ouran High School Host Club, and with the help of a Soubi being present, Kio from Loveless), so I'm not used to cosplaying characters people don't usually see and/or know about.
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 06:57:23 pm »
This is quite obscure, but my friend is thinking about cosplaying grapes. Yes, the fruit. XD She wanted to dress up in green and stick purple balloons all over her...

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 07:43:24 pm »
I cosplayed Steve the Pirate from Dodgeball at the 2005 convention.

This year I plan on building a motorrad costume so I can be Hermes from Kino no Tabe. That's pretty obscure.

I think the most obscure I've done was a character from the webcomic Fans! Timmespin, a character that was actually named after me (long story).
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 10:59:19 pm »
I guess Chloe (Noir) is obscure..mainly because I barely ever get recognized.

Last year at Kumoricon (costume debut) I think...maybe 10 people recognized me. At Sakura-con this year even less recognized me! Only four people knew who I was (at least talked to me, anyway), it was sad.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:05:49 am »
The most obscure costume I've done is "Karna" from Nea under 7. Very few have actually seen the anime, so most have no clue what it is. It's also rather plain so it doesn't attract attention. However, it's amazingly comfy (it's a chinese style long shirt in red with black balloon pants) so I wear it when I'm too tired to function.

Another moderately obscure costume I've done is Ran from "carried by the wind Ran" ( aka Tsugikage Ran). Ran is a female samurai, and the costume is a blue hakama, white kimono top, blue hair ribbon, sword, geta and -most important- a flask. (Ran drinks sake like most people drink water.  :D  )

The nice thing about obscure costumes is that you can walk around without tons of people coming up to you and asking for a photo pose.

The first time I wore my Sesshoumaru costume (I sold it to a coworker's daughter last year...) at SakuraCon it took me 3 hours to get from my hotel room to the registration area because every 3 steps someone else wanted to glomp me, take my picture or both. Wearing that costume made it nearly impossible to go to any panels or anything because I couldn't get anywhere.

My Katamari costume is another attention getting costume. Everyone stops me for a picture... usually after wearing a very popular costume, I switch to something obscure so that I can have a rest and enjoy some panels.  :D

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 10:14:53 am »
only a few people recognised my Goth Sailor Saturn last year. This Year I'll be Jenova from Final Fantasy VII (anyone wana do a skit w/ me?)

I love the obscure Char.s, that way it's less likely to have ten other people running around in your same costume.

The most obscure character that I'm thinking about doing someday (well second most, the most obscure one is a secret) is the De-louser lady from the invader Zim episode "Lice"
Have YOU heard the good news of Jenova?

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Raiphin Cosplay Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:57:13 pm »
I had a friend who re-designed the Emperor's outfit from Digimon to a female version, partially because she had too much in the way of 'assets' to crossplay.

That was pretty frigging obscure.

I went as Tohru Honda the year before Fruits Basket  became big. 5 people recognized me, the rest assumed I was Schoolgirl #137. That was kinda lame. ^ - ^;;;;;

If you KNOW you're doing a really obscure character, then you're more or less ready for it. You'll have to tell people who you are, but if your costume is cool people will usually still take pictures--even if they don't know who you are.

This year I'm going as Amu Hinamori from Shugo Chara, and I'm doubting anyone will recognize me ^ - ^;;;;; I'm hoping that mentioning it on here on the cosplay threads will at least make it so that people recognise me from the forum--if not the character. ^ - ~

I like taking along a 2nd, more popular costume though in case i start feeling the attention whore within.

hope that helped!

~Raiphin
Kumoricon 2007 costumes:
Amu Hinamori/Shugo Chara
http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/manga/enewsletter/art/japanesemangacovers/shugo_chara.jpg

Yuuko Ichihara/ XXXHolic
red bat and/or b&w costume
~Raiphin~
facebook.com/RaiphinCosplay

Upcoming Cons: GGC, Akicon, Sakuracon
Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 04:49:52 pm »
I am definately one for the obscure characters. ^^ I've only cosplayed as Shadow the Hedgehog so far, and any Sonic characters are pretty much obscure to cosplay as. My next cosplay that I'm planning is Matt from Death Note, and he's definately an obscure character. He only appears in about 10 panels. XP Poor Matt.

Obscure cosplayers.. UNITE! *WOOSH*

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpuckjd
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 06:34:06 pm »
Ok I work as staff at Sakuracon n stuff as a bouncer or Coordinator and everything and so I thought I would cosplay as someone who was not overboard... so I went out and got myself a black suit a damn nice one (all together the entire suit cost me $700... thats right thats a seven followed by TWO zeros...dot... two more zeros if you wanna be hella specific...) and so I went as rude so I had shaved head and I even pierced my ears and gauged them to be accurate... people looked at me and thought I was Convention security... that kinda made me slump over and go.... ahhhhhhh man... so that was pretty obscure....

this year I am getting another suit custom made (prolly not gonna be as much as the other one) to go as Dojima Kyohei from Tokimeki memorial ~ Only Love which is still being shown in japan at the moment so I am just gonna start up a contest...

but there are my obscure things.... I have a few more obscure ones in mind but yeah I have forgotten the names
Insert Whitty Comments here...

oh yeah and BOOOSH
Sakuracon Security Coord 7 years running

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 06:39:48 pm »
Quote from: "TheInsanePuck"
Ok I work as staff at Sakuracon n stuff as a bouncer or Coordinator and everything and so I thought I would cosplay as someone who was not overboard... so I went out and got myself a black suit a damn nice one (all together the entire suit cost me $700... thats right thats a seven followed by TWO zeros...dot... two more zeros if you wanna be hella specific...) and so I went as rude so I had shaved head and I even pierced my ears and gauged them to be accurate... people looked at me and thought I was Convention security... that kinda made me slump over and go.... ahhhhhhh man... so that was pretty obscure....

awww I didn't see you there. If I had I would have glomped you ^-^ I Love the turks

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 07:09:56 pm »
Quote from: "Killer_Tofu"

awww I didn't see you there. If I had I would have glomped you ^-^ I Love the turks

this was like a year ago not this year... this year I was busy doing like... security stuff with MOVE... that and I pretty much slept during the day cause I had to work the dances... I might wear my suit for Kumori con or somethin if my buddy goes as my reno... -might get glomped....but prolly not-

oh yeah and BOOOSH

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 07:22:20 pm »
cool ^-^ I'll glomp you both. I'm planing on Jenova for Sunday, I may write a skit

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 07:26:34 pm »
sweeeeet... that would be cool if you wrote a skit... I got a few skits in mind... my main one is having Solid snake break into FMA headquarters and taking people down... it would be funnay

oh yeah and BOOOSH

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 08:17:02 pm »
sweeeeet... that would be cool if you wrote a skit... I got a few skits in mind... my main one is having Solid snake break into FMA headquarters and taking people down... it would be funnay

OMG, YES!! with a cardboard box and the mini-skirt army

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 08:59:20 pm »
My most obscure cosplay was Ruby Moon from CSS, it was mostly obscure because hardly anyone knew who I was D: They kept saying "Hey butterfly lady..." and t made me sad ;.; and I poked people in the eyes with my wings
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline TheInsanePuck

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 10:13:37 pm »
Quote from: "Killer_Tofu"

OMG, YES!! with a cardboard box and the mini-skirt army

exactly what I was gonna do so yeah... I am prolly gonna do it either this year or next year at sakuracon prolly next year at sakcon though just so I get it perfect

oh yeah and BOOOSH

Offline OtokoNoShufu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 02:33:16 am »
I've probably had more the problem that I did dress up as a character from a relatively popular series, but the costume was so simple that unless I was in a group, no one got it.  

At this last SCon, that probably applied to both my Watanuki (xxxHolic) and Tres (Trinity Blood) costumes, though probably more Watanuki because it's just the school uniform.  With Tres, people probably stopped caring when they realized I wasn't part of the D-Grey Man sets. ^_^;  I swear, every time I saw a long black uniform with white trim, I half thought another TB cosplayer, but no.  D-Grey Man.  :P

I remember my very first cosplay was Leon from Resident Evil/Biohazard 2.  I swear maybe five people knew who I was.  Again, this was back in 2000 when RE costumes weren't as common.  

Both of my Kumori '06 costumes fell into the obscurity category.  My Ouendan uniform got a handful of people recognizing it.  But with my Kuroyanagi (Yakitate JaPan! "Yakitate 9 version"), I think I got two people.  Well, I'm counting the group who cosplayed Yakitate Japan as one entity. :P    Most of the other people who say they'd seen YJ haven't seen the last arc which is where my costume came in. :P  

Another obscure one was when I dressed my brother and his friend as male versions of Mature and Vice from King of Fighters.  Only one person recognized it.  I mean, Mature and Vice are obscure as it is.  And to make them male form, that takes hardcore fandom. :3  It's for this same reason that I'm reluctant to follow through with making Prince Peach and Prince Daisy costumes.  Really, no one's gonna get it.  

Oh... I cosplayed as Shigure from Fruits Basket one year.  It's a grey kimono and I wasn't around a group, so that was lost on pretty much everyone. ^ ^;    

I cosplayed as Laguna Loire the previous year, and one guy only really knew me as "the guy from FF8 who looks like Sandra Bullock". :P

Oh, and the male trainer (Yuki/Brendan) from Pokemon Advance.  He didn't make it into the cartoon as far as I was told, so no one got it.  

Okay, enough out of me. ^ ^;;;  *end rant*
Am I on one of those hidden camera shows?

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 05:20:38 am »
Though I havn't actually cosplayed (Mostly because I never finished the costume, and also mostly because I havn't had the time or money to go to a con in awhile), if I ever lose enough weight, there's quite a few people I wish to cosplay.

Short list:

Kenshiro from Fist of The North Star.

Manji from Blade of The Immortal.

Takezo/Miyamoto Musashi from Vagabond.

and lastly...

Dark Schneider from Bastard!!.

I don't expect to be recognized if and when I get around to these, mostly because they are little known, and not mainstream. However, I tend to sway torwads the stuff that isn't mainstream. More often than not, I can actually guess characters, aswell.

So, I guess I am trying to say that if nobody knows who you are, don't worry. You should be happy that you're actually cosplaying someone you know, right? :D

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 09:47:50 pm »
Quote from: "OtokoNoShufu"

Oh, and the male trainer (Yuki/Brendan) from Pokemon Advance.  He didn't make it into the cartoon as far as I was told, so no one got it.

He has and he hasn't. Never had any lines, but he's been in the intros to two of the movies, I think 7 and I know 9. In 9 he's shown battling Rebecca from movie 7 (the Metagross trainer).

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 07:06:38 pm »
The most obscure character I've cosplayed was Seta from Love Hina.  People kept asking me if I was from Eva and, during the '04 convention, I believe some people actually thought I was a doctor given the other event that was going on at the same time.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 08:25:01 pm »
My first Cosplay was Ancient Shuten from Samurai Troopers.

I dont think its obscure since it was on TV for a short time. Tho it was pretty old so I dont think many people watched it.

Most people didnt know who I was but the few who did o_O...lets just say I had my fiirst encounter with a fangirl and I was VERY scared.

I was attacked by an 11 year old girl. All I could do was stand there like a deer in the headlights.

Tho i must say I was VERY Impressed that not only did someone soo young know who I was, but she reffered to me as 'Shuten" and NOT 'Anubis"

Offline pencil

• Sailor Scout
    • http://users.livejournal.com/_pencil_/profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 08:14:11 am »
My first cosplay was really obscure, I cosplayed as keiyuu from the band Kra, but one of his REALLY REALLY old outfits so not a single person recognised me ;__;
Then last year at Kumoricon, I did Mello from deathnote, before most people had read that far, so I had like 2 people outside the shoot even recognise me.

This year Im doing Cid from FFUnlimited, which probablly not get any recognition, and Lambo from Katekyo Hitman Reborn! which will get even less recognition Im sure... but I love those characters so its all good! It think its about being someone you love, not for the recognition.
K-con 09!
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999
Sanji - Shabondy, Regular, Okama
Mamori - EyeSheild 21 - cheerleader

possibly Allen walker?

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 02:51:27 am »
I did tenchi masaki and no one realized who I was.  some of cosplay I'm looking at this year are pretty obscure as well too...
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 07:22:49 am »
I've done Ritsuka and Soubi from Loveless.
Tends to be most problematic because the two only have one thing each that identifies them as anything else, unless you're a fan of the show. Soubi having a bandage around his neck, and Ritsuka having kitty hears and a tail. (Evidently, I think Youji and Natsou would be easier to place from that series.)
For SakuraCon, my friends both went as Ritsuka, looking for their lost Soubi. However, no one realized anything until they started holding up signs going "Soubi?"
And proceeded to get in trouble by a picky security guard.
SakuraCon '08: Touma (Gravitation) & Zexion (KH:CoM)
KumoriCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM) & Tatsumi (Yami no Matsuei)
AkiCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM)
SakuraCon '09: Miku (Vocaloid)

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 12:05:46 pm »
Quote from: "Soubi"
Tends to be most problematic because the two only have one thing each that identifies them as anything else, unless you're a fan of the show. Soubi having a bandage around his neck, and Ritsuka having kitty hears and a tail. (Evidently, I think Youji and Natsou would be easier to place from that series.)
For SakuraCon, my friends both went as Ritsuka, looking for their lost Soubi. However, no one realized anything until they started holding up signs going "Soubi?"

Ugh..I have a serioud problem with most of the SC staff.

They said signs arent allowed because of a WA state law that says "no offering services"
So signs that say something like "free hugs" I can understand. But "Soubi?" Is not offering nay service.

Friggen bullies 'swhat they are.

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 02:41:13 pm »
Quote from: "ThiefKingsHier"
Quote from: "Soubi"

Ugh..I have a serioud problem with most of the SC staff.

They said signs arent allowed because of a WA state law that says "no offering services"
So signs that say something like "free hugs" I can understand. But "Soubi?" Is not offering nay service.

Friggen bullies 'swhat they are.

Yeah. It was kind of odd. They hid the signs and whipped 'em out later. xD And went back to their serch for Soubi~!
SakuraCon '08: Touma (Gravitation) & Zexion (KH:CoM)
KumoriCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM) & Tatsumi (Yami no Matsuei)
AkiCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM)
SakuraCon '09: Miku (Vocaloid)

Offline Riyuki

• Cabbit
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 03:32:22 pm »
At KumoriCon 04, I was Pajama Naruto. Not many people got it, so it was obscure!

I just kinda laugh about that now. XD

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 03:59:06 pm »
Quote from: "totemo_oishii"
This is quite obscure, but my friend is thinking about cosplaying grapes. Yes, the fruit. XD She wanted to dress up in green and stick purple balloons all over her...

I've done that. For Halloween.  :oops:
Sora - KHII (Regular Outfit, Kingdom Key)
Kaiba - Yugioh (Battle City)

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 07:18:50 pm »

My friend and I are cosplaying as W.
[I'll be Tsuji Nozomi (Nono) and she'll be Kago Ai (Aibon)]

The Jpop duo.

From their first single's PV Koi no Vacance.  =D
Which we're going to karaoke together...
AND DO THE DANCE  =U

Just curious, who had heard of them before now?  Anyone?
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia