Author Topic: Hair Color  (Read 5981 times)

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
Hair Color
« on: August 19, 2007, 05:39:44 pm »
At the mini-con I saw a few people with colored hair.  I was curious where you can buy it?  Also just to make sure is it permanint or temporary.  I'm looking for something to color my hair for the con but nothing that I'll be wearing until I cut my hair next  :)

Figured doing a color a day.  Sense I'm no good with Cosplay I though of doing something.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Re: Hair Color
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 07:30:03 pm »
You can buy weird hair color sprays at some of those hair supplies stores that are out there. I used to have some a really long time ago, Blue and Red. It was called fudge if I do remember correctly. It went in really well and washed when I showered.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
    • Its a fan page, do the liking
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 11:12:21 pm »
i think its either lorielle (sp?] or clairol that has a wash out color in like 10 washes. and you can get some colors. its better then the spray
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 11:38:34 pm »
I go to Sally Beauty Supply for my hair color. Sometimes that semi-permanent stuff stays in longer than 10 washes.... especially when it comes to blondes. Yeah, the hairspray stuff is a real pain in the neck, but it's better than living with a color that you probably wont like in three weeks. lol. That's why wigs are good too. Get a good quality one and it'll be cool ^.^
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 11:39:16 pm »
yeah that too!
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline IvoryxIllusions

• Cabbit
    • Icon by: Yureteru~.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:07:54 am »
I would say wigs over spray-in since spray-in tends to be sticky and unpleasant to use-for me, at least. ;O
-

No -sleep- to what?!

Brooklyn. ;D

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 04:12:26 pm »
Something one of my friends did was take bottles of conditioner, (any type) and put food coloring in them, So when they'd wash their hair, they could use the conditioner that had a certain color in it, and change their hair color everyday.

Offline dakrum

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/daks_mind
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 05:13:02 pm »
does the orange crush look like like to and if not can i take the mixer and make it that way :P
http://www.funkyshop.com/dye2.html

yeah that makes since >.>

what meant was would it work for ichigo >_>
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:27:56 pm by dakrum »
THE anime list
now known as dakiro

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:07:03 am »
Kool-aid works reasonably well as well :3 doing the conditioner trick is a good plan, just mixing a packet in with a glob of conditioner in some tupper-ware is nice, just leave it in for 20 mins or so and VOILA you have quick, easy, fragrant blue/red/purple/orange hair. it helps if you already have blonde hair, but you can do it with darker hair for a beautiful tint :D
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:47 am »
mmmmmmmmmm slightly edibly hair....
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:19:54 pm »
Kool-aid works reasonably well as well :3 doing the conditioner trick is a good plan, just mixing a packet in with a glob of conditioner in some tupper-ware is nice, just leave it in for 20 mins or so and VOILA you have quick, easy, fragrant blue/red/purple/orange hair. it helps if you already have blonde hair, but you can do it with darker hair for a beautiful tint :D
how long does it last?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 06:19:39 pm »
  I usually go to a salon to get my hair done becuase Im not good at that kind of stuff.

Its a pain tho becuase when becuase to them mostly red with soem brow is 'REALLY freakin red'. Nop, not even.

Someone needs to create a hair salon specifically for cosplay. Then I can just say " make it Renji-red " (That should so be a color XD) and theyll know what Im talking about.

The guy at work said that if I want it THAT red I need to dye it with gasoline. Chya, I dont want it LITTERLY on fire yo!

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 06:30:50 pm »
fire would make it red. it'd be more yellow then red
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 10:18:53 pm »
I don't know how well a tint would work for most cosplayers with dark hair but it sounds great for blonde hair!  :)  We used to do this when I was younger, we would make streaks of color in our hair with koolaid, it only lasted a day or so and washed out for the most part

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 07:31:53 am »
would anyone really be suprised to hear i always wanted pink hair?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline MikeJ1592

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:09:54 pm »
I used a combination of silver hair wax (a real pain) and a blue colored hair spray from that salon supply store someone mentioned its right at cornelous pass and baseline or main I forget what its called there.  Good side the combination lasts till you wash it out nothing is permant but the bad side is it rubs off on any clothing (or high costume collar whatever) and during application in a hotel bathroom can be sufficating when putting on the spray.  I think I also used silver spray instead of the wax because of how much trouble it was, i forget, hum too much fumes...   ;) 

the koolaid thing sounds like a good alternative to spray, but I dont think they make a silver koolaid flavor...

How about anyone know of a good way to lighten dark hair for the color to stand out more?  That would help out us dark haired folks show off more color with less application.  (ever try to turn dark brown hair silver with hints of blue?)

So I may have killed off a few brain cells, but I did it in the name of Cosplay! 

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 11:21:34 am »
I have dyed my hair a plethora of colors, and I'm kinda obsessed with hair ... >.> I have read many tutorials on hair dye and stuff, so I guess I know a lot. The best brands to use are Special Effects, Punky Colors (Jerome Russell's brand), or Manic Panic. Manic Panic is sorta, I dunno. I have a love/hate with it. Special Effects and Punky never seem to fail though. You can buy Special Effects at Hot Topic or order online, Punky Colors is a rare find unless you order it online, and Manic Panic is sold at Sally Beauty Supply.

So far as tricks to getting hair lighter, there is no way to lighten hair without some sort of bleach. You can't lighten dye with another dye, unless that dye has a small amount of bleach in it ^_^ I would recommend a "soap cap". This is basically a very weak mix of bleach and shampoo. It's easier to spread than normal bleach, and tends to be less damaging =)

Not to diss on people that like the koolaid dye method, but I hate it. I've never seen it turn out as vibrant as vegetable/pigment dyes (The brands listed above are what you would call veggie dyes :) No harmful chemicals. Woohoo!)

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer. I've been dying my hair for *thinks* 8ish years, haha. Sorry I wrote a book, Hair coloring excites me x.x0

Planned Cosplay '09

Roxas - Christmas Town, Cyber Punk, and Masquerade. Bringing other versions, too.
Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 01:21:31 pm »
Well do to the fact I can't keep my hair colored where I work.  Oh I so wish....  Anyways ended up going with (sense I have spikey hair) ICE colored hair gel.  So we shall see how that works.  ;)

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 02:01:37 pm »
Well do to the fact I can't keep my hair colored where I work.  Oh I so wish....  Anyways ended up going with (sense I have spikey hair) ICE colored hair gel.  So we shall see how that works.  ;)

Awh, that totally sucks D: I know that the spray on stuff.. can be frightening (IE: Spreads all over skin/clothes and sometimes, won't wash out. Not to mention it gives yer hair that.. icky texture, haha) @_@ Manic Panic also makes a gel that I've heard is pretty killer. Good luck with it anywho ^_~

Planned Cosplay '09

Roxas - Christmas Town, Cyber Punk, and Masquerade. Bringing other versions, too.
Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 02:58:14 pm »
HAHA  ;D Well I'm putting this stuff in my hair tonight for the Nerdcore Con just to try it out.  Shows up a little in my hair due to my hair being a little darker then I would like it .  Damn my darkening brown hair.  But I thought hey what the heck I'll try it in my goatee and mustach.  Oh my it shows up like a bright light there.  So this will be really fun.  :P

Offline Kexita

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 10:53:28 pm »
omfg. T___T i bought hair dye today. and i did a test strip on my hair, and it looks so bad! >_<; its supposed to be etna red dammit, not orange! T_T maybe i just didnt leave it in long enough? or use enough of the dye? I dont know, but im going to use the whole darned bottle tomorrow. ^^;
2005-Cat girl
2006-Kabuto, Anti Sora, sai
2007-Beauty Queen Etna
2008-Sonozaki Shion (Or am i mion? hee hee<3)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Kyumi/Picture005.jpg
Have you seen me? Im on the right and i went missing during k-con 2007! Please

Offline MikeJ1592

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 07:14:27 am »
I have dyed my hair a plethora of colors, and I'm kinda obsessed with hair ... >.> I have read many tutorials on hair dye and stuff, so I guess I know a lot. The best brands to use are Special Effects, Punky Colors (Jerome Russell's brand), or Manic Panic. Manic Panic is sorta, I dunno. I have a love/hate with it. Special Effects and Punky never seem to fail though. You can buy Special Effects at Hot Topic or order online, Punky Colors is a rare find unless you order it online, and Manic Panic is sold at Sally Beauty Supply.

So far as tricks to getting hair lighter, there is no way to lighten hair without some sort of bleach. You can't lighten dye with another dye, unless that dye has a small amount of bleach in it ^_^ I would recommend a "soap cap". This is basically a very weak mix of bleach and shampoo. It's easier to spread than normal bleach, and tends to be less damaging =)

Not to diss on people that like the koolaid dye method, but I hate it. I've never seen it turn out as vibrant as vegetable/pigment dyes (The brands listed above are what you would call veggie dyes :) No harmful chemicals. Woohoo!)

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer. I've been dying my hair for *thinks* 8ish years, haha. Sorry I wrote a book, Hair coloring excites me x.x0

Thanks, its what I thought, never thought of mixing bleach with shampoo though, what about peroxide or is that just a rumor, in fact I cant even find peroxide in stores (well freddy) anymore, it used to be in the first aid section.

I am lucky at work though no matter what color it is they wont care.

(really wanted to put a pic of Bleach with ranma's Shampoo in it but dont have time.)  ;D

Offline SageBell

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 04:24:06 pm »
hope it comnes out well/better *crosses fingers in hope*
(\ /)
 (. .)
c(")(")

Offline Kirakins

• Sailor Scout
    • My Myspace
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 04:47:01 pm »
omfg. T___T i bought hair dye today. and i did a test strip on my hair, and it looks so bad! >_<; its supposed to be etna red dammit, not orange! T_T maybe i just didnt leave it in long enough? or use enough of the dye? I dont know, but im going to use the whole darned bottle tomorrow. ^^;

Red should color light-blonde to medium blonde. The problem can be a variety of things, including if your hair hasn't ever been bleached (This also means using store bought dye that has a little bit of bleach in it :) ) Then it is probably in it's healthiest, non-porus state ;) I'd just try leaving the stuff in overnight, and DO NOT SHAMPOO when you rinse.. Also, try rinsing with cold-ish water =D

Thanks, its what I thought, never thought of mixing bleach with shampoo though, what about peroxide or is that just a rumor, in fact I cant even find peroxide in stores (well freddy) anymore, it used to be in the first aid section.

I am lucky at work though no matter what color it is they wont care.

(really wanted to put a pic of Bleach with ranma's Shampoo in it but dont have time.)  ;D

Don't use peroxide. That's a myth, and it'll mess up yer hair. You need a real developer, and real bleach ;) Or something similar, like some blonde dyes in the stores have some bleach in them and will work alright.

Planned Cosplay '09

Naruto - Shippuden Naru

Offline Kexita

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 08:38:28 pm »
thanks for the advice, i wish i would have read it earlier! XD; cause i just finished using up the entire bottle! *laughs* it worked very badly, my hair is mostly just light brown with an orange tinge. XD
but thats okay! because bless my mothers heart, she bought my some red hair spray! T-T thank you mummy! i luffles you!
2005-Cat girl
2006-Kabuto, Anti Sora, sai
2007-Beauty Queen Etna
2008-Sonozaki Shion (Or am i mion? hee hee<3)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Kyumi/Picture005.jpg
Have you seen me? Im on the right and i went missing during k-con 2007! Please

Offline MikeJ1592

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 01:49:38 am »
Don't use peroxide. That's a myth, and it'll mess up yer hair. You need a real developer, and real bleach ;) Or something similar, like some blonde dyes in the stores have some bleach in them and will work alright.

Thanks, I picked up something called ultamate blonde (i think thats what it was called) it worked really well, I didnt go from dark brown to yellow blonde but I never expected that anyway but it did work better than any other product I have used in the past.  After I got over the chemestry set like kit it comes with mixing powders and developers it was easy to use and the bleachy smell went away relatively quickly in a ventalated bathroom.  With my wifes help putting it in my hair I think it turned out well.  Oh and the warnings and hazards list that was printed on the directions made me wonder if I should be putting such hazardous chemicals that close to my eye's hehe.