Author Topic: Jewelry  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Jewelry
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:59:17 pm »
Just out of curiousity (since I'm considering doing this) but if someone was to do cosplay as a character that wears earings, but the person doesn't have pierced ears, are there ways to work around that?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
Jewelry
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:05:19 pm »
magnetic earrings maybe? or clip ons?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:10:58 pm »
Well, magnetic ones could work for what I was considering, but clip ons would be kinda hard.  Well, I'm planning on doing this idea for a con some time in 2008, so I guess I have plenty of time to worry about it later.  (Especially since I'm not 100% sure if I'm going with this character or not).

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:51:17 pm »
yeah i would say clip ons or pierce your danged ears.

they sell clip earing findings at most jewlery stores.  im going to have to make some for a girl since shes got gummie bear ears.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 08:57:00 am »
I've also seen some interesting creations that have this "C" shaped wire that comes from the earring and wraps around the back of the ear. That may work if you are bothered by the clip / magnetic earrings. It certainly would hurt less than those.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Jewelry
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 01:57:08 pm »
^ Huh?

Quote from: "pinkrandomattack"
yeah i would say clip ons or pierce your danged ears.

they sell clip earing findings at most jewlery stores.  im going to have to make some for a girl since shes got gummie bear ears.

Well, since I was hoping to ask you about this custume anyway (assuming that I were to finally decide on going with this character), the character that I'm thinking about is Lina Inverse.  What would be the best approach for those giant balls she has for earings?

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Jewelry
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »
I was attempting to describe something like this item: http://www.martymagic.com/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/615?osCsid=d95d8c700839c206df861033cc217b78  

Actually, given the huge size of Lina's earrings, you'll want to use something like a plastic christmas ball or a styrofoam covered with fabric since anything that size is going to hurt if it's actually hanging from your ears. I'd probably hang the giant earrings from a barrette or hairband (or sew them to your wig if you're wearing a Lina wig) rather than attempt to actually attach them to the ears. As long as the ball hangs reasonably close to the ears, it'll look right.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:23:55 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
I was attempting to describe something like this item: http://www.martymagic.com/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/615?osCsid=d95d8c700839c206df861033cc217b78  

Actually, given the huge size of Lina's earrings, you'll want to use something like a plastic christmas ball or a styrofoam covered with fabric since anything that size is going to hurt if it's actually hanging from your ears. I'd probably hang the giant earrings from a barrette or hairband (or sew them to your wig if you're wearing a Lina wig) rather than attempt to actually attach them to the ears. As long as the ball hangs reasonably close to the ears, it'll look right.

those earrings look really cool!, even tho i have peirced ears i might get some
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Jewelry
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:33:43 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
Actually, given the huge size of Lina's earrings, you'll want to use something like a plastic christmas ball or a styrofoam covered...

Hmm, maybe the styrofoam.  Although the X-mas ball could work, too.  But I don't really wanna buy a whole box of ornaments for just two balls.  (I'm Jewish, so I don't do X-mas, maybe I could give them to someone who does).

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
Jewelry
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 06:11:22 pm »
yea i would definately say plastic xmas balls,  i know theres a place online that sells them in sets of 4.  which would only leave you with 2 left over. which. yeah.  they would be light and are pretty cheap.  and personally (i mean i have had my ears pierced since i was 7 so this issent an issue for me) i would go with the clip ons.  BUT i guess if you were really not wanting to deal with the pinching for hours , as it does get kinda painfull after a few,  i would say some kinda wierd finding and use spirit gum to attatch the finding to your pinna.

(vocab for the day everybody, your pinna is the visable part of your ear!)
Commissioning again!

Offline grfu

• Cabbit
Jewelry
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 10:36:11 am »
You know, I could always fix the whole ear problem.  All I need is a needle, a match, an a towel  :twisted: .

but seriously, i would go with clips.  It works relatively well, and it's not painful . . . well, not very painful.
Ford:  It's unpleasantly like being drunk.
Arthur:  What's so unpleasant about being drunk?
Ford:  Ask a glass of water.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Jewelry
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 11:00:19 am »
Having attempted to tolerate clip earrings, I've found that I can handle them for no more than 1 hour... I have pierced ears now so I mostly don't have to worry about clips, though occasionally specific earrings I want to wear for a costume are only available in clip format so I'm stuck with the nasty things. I get headaches from wearing clip earrings and they also make me generally grumpy. It's far better to find an alternative.  :D

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Jewelry
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 11:47:31 am »
Quote from: "grfu"
You know, I could always fix the whole ear problem.  All I need is a needle, a match, an a towel  :twisted: .

One time in hicksvill the neighbor girl came over to my house and asked my mom if she could barrow a needle, then 10 minutes later she asked if she could barrow a lighter, then 10 minutes later she asked if she could barrow a potato, then 10 min later she asked if she could barrow some ice.  What was that all about
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 08:05:11 pm »
true story.  ears being pierced is very worth it,  especially if you cosplay.  as its pretty common to have a character that has noticable earings. and earings arent just for girls.
Commissioning again!