Author Topic: Cosplay Chess, Anyone?  (Read 18510 times)

Offline Midnight Magus

• Oni
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:50:53 pm »
I recently ran across the basic rules and premise to human cosplay chess, and thought that it might be fun to have at Kumoricon--what do all of you think?

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:11:37 pm »
It's being done at Sakura-con this year..my girlfriend is going to be in it..so once I've seen a match done I will comment on it after that ^-^
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:46:53 pm »
It could be quite amusing! I'm picturing sets of similar characters from same series playing each side... (IE: all the Narutos are pawns...)

I hope we can find a good location to do it in. We'd also need to have a signup for teams, etc.   :D

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 08:18:52 pm »
oh yeah   Once in my "research" to make pirate hats I found about 200 Pictures from a game of live chess at the Scareburro Ren Frair in Texas, that year it was Pirates Vs a village and for some reason I saved every picture of the duel between the pirate princess and the towns Gypsy W****
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 04:55:24 pm »
Ooh, sounds like fun.  If I do this, I get first dibs on anything other than a pawn!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Penumbra Shade

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:42:04 am »
I saw a piccu of this going on in NewType awhile back--it looked pretty interesting...

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 03:12:32 pm »
I remember this cartoon series.  It was a Carmen Sandiego series in which the main good guys were a brother & sister pair of detectives, (I think their names were Zack & Ivy).  Anyway, there was an episode where Carmen stole 30 famous man-sized statues, because she wanted to play chess with the brother & sister, with them playing as the King & Queen (that's just a guess).  I've always thought that this sort of this would befun.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 03:41:21 pm »
As long as people don't end up re-enacting the French scene from "History of the World, Part 1" I think we'll be OK.

"Bishop takes Queen!"
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 08:10:24 pm »
Lol, thank can turn out to be really funny.

I watched the event from Anime Boston on youtube. It was awesome. Especailly since Im pretty sure (its been a while since ive seen it) The teams were spilt up like Shojou vs. Bishonen or something like that. But they were split up somehow.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 09:10:50 pm »
The teams were spilt up like Shojou vs. Bishonen or something like that.

Lol

Shojou vs. Shounen, yeah.

It'd be fun to do at Kumoricon, but I don't know if we're big enough or whatever to do it...  Who'm I kidding, of course we can xDD

Some of the Kcon staff who are going to Sakuracon should watch the Chess match they have there, so they could maybe figure out how to organize it. It's quite fun, really!

Offline RoamingGnome

• Chibi
    • The Roaming Gnome
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 02:39:35 pm »
Just thought I would post my thoughts on this.  Sense I went to see the one for Sakura Con.  One thing.  Make sure to get two people who know how to play chess and do it well.  Or like the first match they had for the event it will last now more than 15 minutes.  Now their theme was video games vs anime.  It was pretty funny but didn't last too long.  The second match if I recall right they pulled people out of the audience for the second match.  Also those putting it on might want to make sashes or something for the cosplayers to wear so the person controlling the pieces knows which cosplayer is what chess piece.  Just some thoughts.

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 05:09:54 pm »
I am 300 percent for the idea of cosplay chess because I'm a geek and am obsessed with every aspect of it X3

I wonder how we'd go about actually doing that :3
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline Kotoumi

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • tumblr
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 07:14:26 pm »

I would definitely be up to being a chess piece.

I honestly have no idea how to play it.  My friend tried to teach me once, but it went over my head and into the black abyss behind it.
Umbrella Duelists - Oregon Captain ☂

KumoriCon 2014
Red Riding Hood Belgium | Maid Belgium | Myrmidon Olivia

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 08:58:59 pm »
I want to be a bishop!!!!
Secrety secrets!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 10:14:56 pm »
I suppose you could do it in harem anime style. Some nerdy loser guy with 8 beautiful girls as his pawns. I don't think he could have any knights however. They would be his own enemies wouldn't they? That is if they were guys. Guess we could put in place warrior maid mechas for knights.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 04:45:31 pm »
Lol if we get enough deathnote cosplayers we could seperate it that way X3
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 06:50:55 pm »
Supposedly the sakuracon version went quite well so I will bring this up at the may meeting before the directors and see if we can get some approval. Chances are they have seen this already but it doesn't hurt to bring it up again.

Here is the thing,

we will need to have sign up before the con and possibly the day before the event (so this probably wont be a saturday event for us).

We would need to have a meeting of anybody that would be participating in the event. People that can't show up to that meeting or can't show up to the game would not be able to play.

This is first come first serve. No show, your spot would go to the first person on a the waiting list assuming we can get enough people for a waiting list. This just makes everything run alittle smoother.

There would be a set number of cosplayers spots available maybe one or two for every chess piece on the board so if one gets tired of playing we would be able to switch out. These are just some suggestions I have as well as what has been relayed to me.

Also I would like to have color coded arm bands, just simple ones made for the cosplayers so that the audience would know what piece each cosplayer is.

On that arm band i think it would be nice to have a colored stripe so you know what team you are on. These arm bands can be used for more than one game.

ideas for teams

Shojo vs shonen
ninjas vs soul reapers o.O
anime vs video games (this includes ff7 characters sorry advent children)
good vs evil

if you have other ideas let us know ^_^

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 09:25:08 pm »
Quote from: "babysugarbear28"
Supposedly the sakuracon version went quite well so I will bring this up at the may meeting before the directors and see if we can get some approval. Chances are they have seen this already but it doesn't hurt to bring it up again.

Here is the thing,

we will need to have sign up before the con and possibly the day before the event (so this probably wont be a saturday event for us).

We would need to have a meeting of anybody that would be participating in the event. People that can't show up to that meeting or can't show up to the game would not be able to play.

This is first come first serve. No show, your spot would go to the first person on a the waiting list assuming we can get enough people for a waiting list. This just makes everything run alittle smoother.

There would be a set number of cosplayers spots available maybe one or two for every chess piece on the board so if one gets tired of playing we would be able to switch out. These are just some suggestions I have as well as what has been relayed to me.

Also I would like to have color coded arm bands, just simple ones made for the cosplayers so that the audience would know what piece each cosplayer is.

On that arm band i think it would be nice to have a colored stripe so you know what team you are on. These arm bands can be used for more than one game.

ideas for teams

Shojo vs shonen
ninjas vs soul reapers o.O
anime vs video games (this includes ff7 characters sorry advent children)
good vs evil

if you have other ideas let us know ^_^

:o I vote for Anime vs Video Games
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 01:30:21 am »
.... >.>.... <.<..... Yaoi vs Yuri... ^__^ Tee hee

Its also hard to play chess from a side view.
And who would be the ones making the calls for each team? How would we wanna do that?

Plus for this kinda event I would think it would be good to get ginat screens to show people in the back whats up front, like they do at concerts.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:53 am »
Well an easy way to meak it viewable to the generals (the ones telling people to move) would be if they had a regular chess board to the side for them to use.

If we used the Main Events room for this right before the dance one night the chairs would be out of the way and the screen would be up already. If we do get gear for CCTV then we might be able to rig an overhead view, but it's doubtful.

To tell the teams apart easier I think we should make sticks with the chess pieces on them. They could even have their number written on them, like Pawn 1-8 or KB for King's Bishop. It would be really easy to make with construction paper and yardsticks.

I'll go get the link for the cosplay Chess picture thread on Sak's board.

http://scmb.sakuracon.org/viewtopic.php?t=14877
Boooo, they haven't posted anything yet.  :cry:
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 04:04:16 pm »
My friend and I said we'd take on the responsibilty of setting it up this year for kumoricon. So if people think it's a good idea we'll just go for it.

I was part of the cosplay chess for Sakuracon so I know the basic layout and how to improve upon a few things. Looks like people have got it so far though. Have we gotten anything set up yet?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 04:08:20 pm »
I will put this on my list of things to bring up at the staff retreat this weekend. It might have to be an unofficial event if the Programming schedule doesn't open up.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 05:26:46 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
I will put this on my list of things to bring up at the staff retreat this weekend. It might have to be an unofficial event if the Programming schedule doesn't open up.
Sweet!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 09:44:31 pm »
I asked one of the guys who was a part of this about some of the rules and such.  (I asked one of the guys who had a fox mask with really shaggy hair).

He pointed out that the Sakuracon forum had the rules for this on a thread so here you go.
Official Rules for the Cosplay Chess Game

The Basics of the Game:

There will 38 main players, two chess players who will be controlling the moves of all the pieces on the board, and the emcee’s. There will be at least 38 spaces available, but more will be allowed in case a person has to drop out or misses the pre-game meeting.

How the Battle System Will Work:

1) When a move is made by the chess players, and that move results in a piece being taken, a battle will take place.

2) The other pieces not part of the battle (All pieces except the two involved) will remove themselves from the board and the two pieces will battle. The use of ‘attacks’ and special moves is encouraged, and the back up players, if called on can join the battle. (For example, if Edward Elric calls upon the ‘minions of minis’ to attack, characters that fit that description can join in the battle as long as they are not currently on the board.)

3) The attacker will always win.

4) The two Pieces will battle and put on a show for the audience, and "die" in a dramatic way. Battles should last no longer than 3 minutes, if the battle goes over the time limit, the emcee will call on the attacker to ‘Finish Them’

5) The loser will leave the board and watch the rest of the match; however, they can get back into the game if a pawn makes it to the end

6) After the losing piece leaves the board, all the other pieces will move back to their previous positions. Positions will be marked, so you will have to remember the number of your space before the battle started.

Rules of Participation

1) There should be little to no physical contact between pieces not currently engaged in battle (i.e. little to no pushing or shoving the piece next to you, even if they are your 'enemy.') During a battle, you may not touch the piece you are ‘fighting’ unless you ask and they consent first. This rule is taken very seriously. If you hurt, injure, or inflict any discomfort on another player in any way, shape, or form, you will be taken out of the game IMMEDIATELY.

2) The pieces should be easily recognized. No original characters or made up variations of characters will be allowed.

3) If using a weapon, it must be peace bonded, and if the staff believes the player is violating the rules of peace bonding, that player will be removed from the board and replaced.

4) Being in character is encouraged! So is play-acting! Battle cries and the like should be loud (We need to hear you!) and can use other characters, except the ones who are on the board already. However, as stated in rule number 1, do not go over board and harm someone.

5) The same basic rules at the Masquerade are enforced, no projectiles, flames, explosives, live steel or any other sharp pointy object will be allowed during the game.

6) The players involved will have their position decided and told to them a week before the con, and will be required to attend a mandatory pre-game meeting. Not attending the meeting will mean you have forfeited your place and it will be given to someone else.

7) The players can apply for a position, and will requested to list a first, second, and possibly third choice. We will work to accommodate as many first choices as possible. If no position is requested, you will be put into a drawing for a pawn position.

8) The players will need to include the name of the character they are going to be cosplaying and a picture of the character (This is to avoid getting a character twice on the board and to make sure all the costumes involved will not be over elaborate and lend themselves to be damaged easily)

He mentioned that there needs to be a rehearsal so everyone understood the rules and wouldn't go overboard.  If you didn't go to rehearsal, you were dropped and someone on the waiting list took your spot.

As someone who watched this, my one complaint was I had a hard time telling one piece from another.

By the way, some of the highlights included Snake (Metal Gear) vs Haruhi (Ouran) and Ichigo vs. Cloud.  Very fun stuff.  At the end when things were starting to wind down they decided to skip checkmate and make it a battle royale.

By the way, I would also like to be a part of this if possible. ^_^

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 10:26:01 pm »
Excellent.
Thanks for the rules Negima.

This is being scheduled in Live Programming on... I think... Saturday.

So as far as I can tell, it's official. Congrats.
I'll let you know once i have a person for you guys to talk to about running it.

I think it'll be Peter, who is in charge of special events. but I dunno.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 11:44:12 pm »
what did they use for the floor squares at Sak Kon
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 06:28:10 am »
Quote from: "Vondan"

People who'd never heard of Franz Ferdinand.
:lol:
eh? eh?
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 07:15:27 am »

People who'd never heard of Franz Ferdinand.
:lol:
eh? eh?

is that a reference to the short Sci Fi Poems such as Bards of a Fetter and The Fanny CookBook or the Arch Duke of Austria
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 07:55:19 am »
..........>_>
Thanks for volunteering. 63 to go!
Zing!

(check google Dan)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 08:46:34 am »
Actually I did before hand.  It's sad when you type a Historical reference into google and get nothing but hits on some band named after a dead archduke
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 03:39:45 pm »
The people in charge of the event made a giant chess board by sewing squares of fabric togther. I would like to avoid that if at all possible though because.... Fabric is expensive. u.u'

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 03:42:24 pm »
Excellent.

I'll let you know once i have a person for you guys to talk to about running it.

Awesome! I'll keep checking back to see what's going on then. Thank you!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 06:37:41 pm »
Quote from: "kiraraplushie"
The people in charge of the event made a giant chess board by sewing squares of fabric togther. I would like to avoid that if at all possible though because.... Fabric is expensive. u.u'

That reminds me, the guy I talked to mentioned that each square was 3x3 feet.  He thought anything smaller would've had everyone bunched up.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 06:56:18 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
Quote from: "kiraraplushie"

That reminds me, the guy I talked to mentioned that each square was 3x3 feet.  He thought anything smaller would've had everyone bunched up.

I was thinking squares of carpet but how to find scraps 3x3 in two colors to make all of them
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 06:58:56 pm »
Fabric tape.
Put diagonal lines to make an X in every black square.
You could even use BLACK TAPE in the black squares.
If you do one big line at a time it won't take as long.
In fact, you could do it the night before and just leave it on the floor through the events before hand.

The carpet would be much better but it depends on the timing, we'd need to get some used stuff.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 07:04:58 pm »
Fabric tape.
Put diagonal lines to make an X in every black square.
You could even use BLACK TAPE in the black squares.
If you do one big line at a time it won't take as long.
In fact, you could do it the night before and just leave it on the floor through the events before hand.

The carpet would be much better but it depends on the timing, we'd need to get some used stuff.

Hmm the shop i'm moving into that a friends friends antique storage is moving out of has some old belight tan rugs on the floor if he is just gonna toss them all I'll say I have a use for them he is leaving the small ragety edged ones
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 10:00:59 pm »
carpet squares actually wouldn't be a bad idea for that. If the person who made the board for Sakuracon goes to Kumoricon I'll try and borrow his board though, since it's already made.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 11:06:36 pm »
Excellent.

HECK YEAH!! This is going to br frekaing awesome. I wanna play more than watch but either is good!
Saturday.... would it overlap with the dance of the Cosplay Contest? Just a guess?

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:27 pm »

I believe the person in charge sewed the board by hand. So a cloth board, though it looked pretty good.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 08:04:40 am »
If we can borrow the existing cloth board, that would be great.
Otherwise, I'd go with the tape version since it can be laid down rapidly and is most likely the least expensive.

I hesitate about using a bunch of carpet scraps. Since they won't be connected together, they may slide around when people move from square to square...and half way through the game we may find that we no longer have a square board.

Is there an open area in the hotel that has a balcony? It's a lot easier for the people calling the moves to see if they're up above the board. I suppose we could use ladders or have them stand on chairs to see over the "pieces" people. Also, the audience would have more fun if they're somewhat above the players to see... Maybe in the park outside? (if it's not raining...)

Who do we have who's a descent chess player???

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 11:06:05 am »
tom if you were a real Loyal fan you would want to have Dejerik and the players dress like Rancor and DaNoga
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2007, 01:35:45 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
If we can borrow the existing cloth board, that would be great.
Otherwise, I'd go with the tape version since it can be laid down rapidly and is most likely the least expensive.

I hesitate about using a bunch of carpet scraps. Since they won't be connected together, they may slide around when people move from square to square...and half way through the game we may find that we no longer have a square board.

Is there an open area in the hotel that has a balcony? It's a lot easier for the people calling the moves to see if they're up above the board. I suppose we could use ladders or have them stand on chairs to see over the "pieces" people. Also, the audience would have more fun if they're somewhat above the players to see... Maybe in the park outside? (if it's not raining...)

Who do we have who's a descent chess player???
I agree those would work better. Tape was the original idea but sometimes the staff doesn't want us sticking it to the floor so, that's why they sewed a board together. And the stage we had it on made it harder for the audience to see the board and the moves etc so park or someplace where the audience and players can see the board would be preferable.

I know of a few people who are going that play chess frequently and are fairly good at it so they might be willing to play. I'm not so much worried about how good they are though (because we want the match to last the span of time that we have) but how good they are at trying to get pieces to battle not just win the match (At Sakuracon it wasn't terribly exciting and there was a check mate within 10 minutes or so). Odds are it's going to have to end in a "free for all" battle, or something.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Cosplay chess in the park?
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2007, 02:26:39 pm »
If we can do it outdoors... could we bring one of those weed whackers and trim the grass really short in a pattern? Actually, alternating squares of trimmed and untrimmed grass??? hmmmmm.... :?

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
Re: Cosplay chess in the park?
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2007, 02:56:02 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
If we can do it outdoors... could we bring one of those weed whackers and trim the grass really short in a pattern? Actually, alternating squares of trimmed and untrimmed grass??? hmmmmm.... :?

we could use the grass chalk like at the ball park
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2007, 06:03:30 pm »
I'm also a little hesitant on the idea of using carpet squares.  Those squares would probably move around a lot during the battles and then you would have to move them back everytime.  What we would need would be some easily foldable (for storage and such) and doesn't have such a sleek surface.
Maybe at the next meeting at the hotel we could take a look around to see if there's a place to hold the chess game that isn't on a stage.

At Sakuracon the players did have chairs to stand on to overlook the board.

I'm "reasonably" good at chess but not great.  I played a lot of chess on my cell phone while riding the train in Japan to pass the time.  I offer myself as being one of the players but I would prefer being a piece.

What seemed to make the game more fun was the players just trying to have battles and skip the strategy.

Offline Penumbra Shade

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2007, 09:19:17 pm »
It's official? Wonderful!

*Plots his way into the event*

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2007, 10:00:59 pm »
Once its all figured out how its gonna work Id definetly wanna participate in it!

Offline kiraraplushie

• Cabbit
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2007, 11:01:50 am »
I think when everything get's settled we should just have a first come first served sign up list so that everyone has a fair shot at it.

Still waiting for word of where and when. I'd really like to have a stage or something for it though so that the players are elevated. And to help with seeing the battles, this time the other pieces should completely clear the board.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2007, 12:47:41 pm »
SWEEET!!
I cant wait!!

Quote from: "Trumby"

I believe the person in charge sewed the board by hand. So a cloth board, though it looked pretty good.

Yea, it did but it got bunched up alot and we had to straighten it out after every game.

Actually, I think itd be easier for the audience to see the entire game if they were elevated and the players were bellow them.

Quote from: "Negima"

What seemed to make the game more fun was the players just trying to have battles and skip the strategy.

Yea..that wasnt intentional it just kinda ended up that way. ^^;

Offline BoredHorror

• Chibi
    • http://www.boredhorror.deviantart.com
Cosplay Chess, Anyone?
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2007, 09:50:31 pm »
I would hope it would be put on a stage, seeing issues aren't really a problem that way, because when someone calls out a final move (killing) everyone just clears off the board except the two people who are fighting. Also, what they did at one con was have the two players (the ones calling out the moves) actually at a chess board with the character's pictures on the pieces so they could see from above what was going on. Then they either had a mic or just told the commentator the moves as in "ichigo move up two spaces" or "kenshin, kill cloud"

also "...but how good they are at trying to get pieces to battle not just win the match "  having people who know the story lines of each character and set up good battles strategically would be ideal. I watched one battle on youtube where they manuevered a set up of itachi vs. sasuke and it was hilariously perfect.
-Mikae