Author Topic: Sonomi-kun?!?!  (Read 5473 times)

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« on: October 08, 2006, 09:27:12 pm »
I almost understand the Japanese system of suffixes, i.e., sensei, sempai, sama, san, chan, kun, etc.  However, one instance seems to violate the normal pattern.  I know some of you know the language, so maybe you can help me understand this question from season 1 of Card Captor Sakura: When addressing Sonomi Daidoji (Tomoyo's mother), Fujitaka Kinomoto (Sakura's dad) calls her "Sonomi-kun."  I noticed this in the episode with the Flower Card, when Sonomi and Fujitaka meet at the school athletic festival.

I'm used to seeing -kun attached to younger male characters, i.e., Syaoran-kun, so what's up with this?

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:58:31 pm »
they used that for tohru in fruits basket. I'm assuming it could be translated for a mr., ms., or mrs. as well.... but I'm not entirely positive.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:21:58 pm »
Well, it could mean Sonomi is really a guy in disguise <3 -shot'd-

--

Well, all I know is it's also used to show friendliness, or so says this tokyo talk glossary. It's usually reserved to young boys, or used by an older guy to a younger one (a.k.a.- 40 yr. old to 30 yr. old can happen).

Just as -chan is reserved to girls. But I see '-chan' used to male friends/loved ones all the time... so...

All I can say that is the full truth, is that Japanese is an awfully confusing language <3

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 11:53:15 pm »
kun is like the male eqivelence to chan and yes it can be for used for girls too just like a cute guy might be called chan a older mature girl can be called kun
also theres dono which is lower then sama and higher the san, and senpai,
senpai is more skilled student or feild meber, like my frined steph is sepai to me in japanese, while were both students she is more skilled then me which makes her senpai, and me the konhai =lesser skilled student
also on a seprate note i call kendo boyfriend chris-kun and he calls me jaz-chan
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 01:33:55 am »
Jaz got it right.

If you watch Eva in Japanese, you'll notice that they always refer to Shinji's mother as -kun as well.  Through me for a loop the first time I heard it too, I thought Shinji's mother must have been some fanfiction reject male hermaphrodite, or something.  So funny to try and figure THAT out at two in the morning!  :lol:
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 10:15:09 am »
I think I understand.  However, what's different about some women, like Sonomi, that they get -kun, instead of the usual -chan or -san?  

Is it because they have appropriated some "maleness" by Japanese normative standards? For example, Sonomi holds a position of authority as the head of a corporation.  Also, she is very agressive and strong-willed.  My intuition is that this may be the case.  After all, nobody would ever dream of attaching -kun to Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi, right?

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 11:08:44 am »
and some times I have read that women of a certian age when addresed with the suffex for the aunt age bracket get pissed and want to be addressed with the big sister suffex

Von "Here for all Aunts who still want to be big sisters" Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »
i belive kun indacates toughness or streanth, so by male eqivence of chan, girls would want to be thought of as cute, the way guys would liked to thought they are strong
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 12:42:56 pm »
I think it can also mean equality, or a way of telling a chick she's one of the guys.  Without the need to have a big drinking contest about it.

Side note: never refer to your female classmates as -kun when your old fashioned Japanese prof is present.  He's gets VERY angry at you.  :shock:
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 07:19:20 pm »
My theories for that have already been mentioned by other people.  I did find this in my English Negima manga: (typed word for word)
-kun: This suffix is used at the end of boys' names to express familiarity or endearment.  It is also sometimes used by men among friends, or when addressing someone younger or of lower status.

So maybe in your example Fujitaka uses it for Sonomi since she's younger or because of familiarity.
Can anyone think of any girls using kun for another girl in manga/anime?

and some times I have read that women of a certian age when addresed with the suffex for the aunt age bracket get pissed and want to be addressed with the big sister suffex

That's because the word for aunt (obasan) sounds a lot like grandma (obaasan).  And when you do the familiar (oba-chan) it could mean either one.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Sonomi-kun?!?!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 09:10:32 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"

Quote from: "vondan"

That's because the word for aunt (obasan) sounds a lot like grandma (obaasan).  And when you do the familiar (oba-chan) it could mean either one.

and they just dont want to remined that now kids think they are old
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
Sonomi-kun?!?!