Author Topic: Mario Kart and broadband adapters  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Mario Kart and broadband adapters
« on: September 16, 2006, 04:50:59 am »
This isn't so much a suggestion to staff as it is a suggestion to everybody who games, so I'm putting it here. :)

For three years now, I've heard some people talking about having a massive Mario Kart tournament with multiple Gamecubes linked via broadband adapters. Theoretically, this means that if we had enough equipment, we could have a 16-player simultaneous game of Mario Kart.

With THAT many people, a tournament would be a blast. If 16 people entered, no one would have to stop playing until the tournament ended. ;)

But to do so we need:

1.) Four Gamecubes
2.) Four GC broadband adapters
3.) 16 GC controllers
4.) Four copies of Mario Kart: Double Dash

The Gamecubes?  Easy to come by.
The broadband adapters? More of a challenge, but I have one, and I talked to a girl who said she had two, so I know there are enough out there if we just bring them.
16 Gamecube controllers is a lot, but again, they're out there, if people bring them!

Lastly, four copies of Mario Kart: Double Dash. It's unlikely there'll be that many copies submitted by con-goers, but the con can just rent 4 copies if we know ahead of time.

If you have any of the above, BRING it to Kumori Con 2007! Just in case!  (Especially the broadband adapters!) The gaming staff will thank you. :D
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:07:27 pm »
Yes, yes we could rent those copies of Double Dash. They're still easily available in video stores, right? I may be getting myself involved in too many things but this sounds like a great idea. The adapters might be the only real challenge.

Oh- one more thing we'll need, 4 TVs :D

How long would the tournament take to play? How long would we want to keep the 16-person setup up?

Anyone else want to make sure we have a 16-person Mario Kart tournament?
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Adell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 04:25:00 am »
Quote from: "guspasho"
Yes, yes we could rent those copies of Double Dash. They're still easily available in video stores, right? I may be getting myself involved in too many things but this sounds like a great idea. The adapters might be the only real challenge.

Oh- one more thing we'll need, 4 TVs :D

How long would the tournament take to play? How long would we want to keep the 16-person setup up?

Anyone else want to make sure we have a 16-person Mario Kart tournament?

You'd probably have to rent four copies from four different video stores. The game is old, the GameCube is done now that the Wii is out, so rental places probably wont be pushing GC games hard if at all anymore.

But in other news, the game can be found for 20-30 dollars new. =O

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 04:35:49 am »
I had an idea for about $100 each you could buy used or make Mario Carts and then get 4 to 10 people to drive them in cosplay and tour around the con

VERY FAST
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 02:24:04 pm »
Hey, this topic is alive again. :D

I think a 16-player game wouldn't require all that much time to play. Reason being, once it's all set up no one would be left waiting around. Each race would still take roughly the same amount of time... well, maybe a little longer if there are a few stragglers who have trouble finishing. But still.

If you wanted, we could make it as short as an hour. However, I think 4 TVs isn't all that bad considering how many people would be entertained. Not many games accomodate 4 players at once per TV, and the only ones I see regularly at the con are Smash Bros. and Mario Party.

What if the con bought one copy of the game, secured at least one temporarily donated copy, and rented the other two?

Apollo Justice

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 02:38:37 pm »
It's nigh impossible to get them to commit to buying games, especially old ones. We'd probably have to rent/borrow any copies.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/mushoku
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:32:29 am »
I've got no problem loaning what's needed for this to go through. I've got several controllers, 1x broadband adapter, and the game.
Bamboo + Cellphone...I see possibilities....

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 01:30:23 am »
If I'm not in Japan when Kumori Con happens, it's possible that I'll be able to buy my own copy of the game and loan it out. I like Double Dash a lot; just not enough to pay 40 bucks for it when most of my Gamecube-playing friends already own it. :P

And if I DO go to Japan, there's a possibility that I'll be able to send my broadband adapter with a friend in my stead. But I'd only bother to do that if someone else took up this little Mario Kart project. It hasn't happened in the past two years, so it's pretty obvious that it's only going to happen if someone is motivated to get out there and MAKE it happen. But then, that's true about practically everything at a convention, eh?

Apollo Justice

Offline Gumberculies

• Oni
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:31:12 pm »
is this still happing?

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 04:03:50 pm »
Well, it could, if anybody wants to bring broadband adapters. I'll bring mine, at least.

But no, I haven't been pursuing it since my last post. Perhaps if we wait until a few weeks before the con?

Apollo Justice

Offline Gumberculies

• Oni
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 04:40:18 pm »
between mine and my friends we have two cubes and I think 7 controllers and one DD, I have been looking for a broadband adapter but they don’t come easy

Offline Zinchack

• Cabbit
Re: Mario Kart and broadband adapters
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 01:51:32 pm »
Yay, Ill definetly  bring my copy of Double dash! I dont have a broadband adapter though. but, will the tournament be doubles on a kart on singles , each their own, because I think doing doubles style is more fun then singles and  it could still be simultaneous 6 players

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 04:39:27 pm »
Well, if you'd like to hear the official skinny on tournaments, check this topic. There is a Double Dash tournament, and I'm willing to bet that they'd be willing to convert it to a massive LAN game if enough people bring broadband adapters.

Bringing Mario Kart would be helpful, for people who have a broadband adapter but not the game (like me). However, adapters are what we really need more of. If you have one, PLEASE bring it, even if you leave your Gamecube behind. It would be quite awesome if we ended up with four adapters and four copies of the game. :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:49:28 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline HellSap

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 02:00:09 pm »
Sweet.  More strumming up of good will and trying to improve the gaming tournament.  If you check the rules, it is already planned to be 16 player over broadband.  And if you check this long winded thread  http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=4711.0   You'll notice that we have no games, and need people to bring them in, and check them in so we can have a secure game room this year for everyone.  Just post in there with what games you are planning on bringing and whatnot. 

And thank you Radien for pushing this, because I havent even been told the full #s on the gamecubes and whether or not they have broadband adapters.

But please, post in that thread for what you can bring so we can get the ball rolling on this one.
Always and forever... Conspiring with the devil, Conquering together.
D/L Star Control 2 - Ur-Quan Masters here http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/ !
PSU Video Game Club - http://randomselect.groups.pdx.edu/

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 02:07:55 pm »
Sweet.  More strumming up of good will and trying to improve the gaming tournament.  If you check the rules, it is already planned to be 16 player over broadband.  And if you check this long winded thread  http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=4711.0   You'll notice that we have no games, and need people to bring them in, and check them in so we can have a secure game room this year for everyone.  Just post in there with what games you are planning on bringing and whatnot. 

And thank you Radien for pushing this, because I havent even been told the full #s on the gamecubes and whether or not they have broadband adapters.

But please, post in that thread for what you can bring so we can get the ball rolling on this one.

If you want it to be 16-player, I'm afraid you/we are going to have to push it a lot more! I can lend my BBA, but we'll need FOUR BBAs and FOUR games, four Gamecubes, and 16 controllers to make it a full 16-player gig. Kumori Con has yet to manage that, largely because of a lack of people pursuing the necessary equipment, particularly BBAs. 16 controllers is a lot, but not unheard of, four Gamecubes is far from unattainable, and the games can be rented.

I daresay the Gamecubes you're getting probably don't have BBAs. Some of them might, but if so I'd consider it a very unexpected bonus.  BBAs were underproduced, and highly valued by the Phantasy Star Online players.  Not many Mario Kart players got their hands on them.

Anyway, you're welcome! If I have your blessing to pursue this, I will do my best to wrangle up some more equipment before the convention. :) That mostly means chatting it up on the boards, though, as I don't know of any friends with BBAs. I do know of friends with Gamecubes, Mario Kart, and controllers, though.

P.S.

I'll post in the appropriate thread again, but I suggest you change the tournament notes by editing your posts to encourage people to bring BBAs, games, and controllers (perhaps Gamecubes, but mostly the first three).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:09:34 pm by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 02:27:49 pm »
We're working on our budget and if money allows, we may purchase the missing BBAs for Mario Kart this year. We do encourage people to bring them and to note in the appropriate thread that they are doing so, so we can plan accordingly. Thank you!
I can has cheezburger?

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 05:57:27 pm »
We're working on our budget and if money allows, we may purchase the missing BBAs for Mario Kart this year. We do encourage people to bring them and to note in the appropriate thread that they are doing so, so we can plan accordingly. Thank you!

I didn't mean to imply that I was asking for money to be dedicated to that purpose, but if you see the tournament as a high enough priority to buy BBAs, I'm sure that will increase the likelihood of its success. :)

I don't have any authority to buy anything for the con, but I'll work on the word-of-mouth.

Apollo Justice